• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix interested to know how fans would like Chrono Trigger to be remade

It's so painfully obvious such masterpieces aren't being made anymore. They just don't create timeless classics anymore, let alone timeless franchises which will last for decades. Sure, same goes for movies, music etc.. but it's so sad.

Montauk

As someone said, if you’re gonna do endless remakes focus on early 3D games that could really benefit from it.

I’d add - try remaking bad or average games to MAKE THEM BETTER, rather than purely for the sake of improved graphics.

There have been film remakes that have been better than their not very good originals. Try that.

Montauk

Fully 3D, over the shoulder camera with optical first person mode.

Hyper realistic graphics

Full real-time combat. Thinking of DMC levels of combat.

Woah, that all sounds very original. Can’t wait for it to look like every other game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Dunno why they are asking this question now that I think about it considering they shut down that fan project over a decade ago. Remember CT Resurrection?

I stand by my previous post if they do a game in the DQ/DBZ style then they have a winner. However I think if they are fishing for interest then they have no creativity or ideas for unique RPGs left.

In all honesty they are probably trying to see if they can copy paste the FFVIIR battle system and slap it on Chrono series.

Last edited:

Elios83

It depends on the budget.
They could go for the 2.5D HD look like Octopath Travelers for a medium effort remake.
For something AAA they could do something like Dragon Quest XI, art style is similar.

But they haven't even released the original on modern consoles....they could start with a pixel perfect version of that.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
As someone said, if you’re gonna do endless remakes focus on early 3D games that could really benefit from it.

I’d add - try remaking bad or average games to MAKE THEM BETTER, rather than purely for the sake of improved graphics.

There have been film remakes that have been better than their not very good originals. Try that.
I dunno, I find Chrono Trigger’s combat so mind numbing that I’ve failed my 5-6 attempts at replaying it over the last couple decades. Remake it with Ys style combat and it might actually be fun to play.

AREYOUOKAY?

We had the technology for good looking Akira Toriyama 3D even on the PS1.

Would Chrono Cross have been improved if it had graphics / character designs like that? Doubtful but it would at least give slightly more consistency.

ygFW6kg.jpg

I value accuracy to the original artwork more than anything else. If the character models looked like this Smash mod I would be fine with it.

9g1MYZr.jpg

nGPM0Vo.jpg

gvZohfD.jpg

Last edited:

Oberstein

2D-3D mix, Star Ocean 2 style would work great. No need to go full in like FFVII.

That's the right answer.

RED_STEAM_Gif_Features_EN.gif

Full 3D would take 10 years, with purely Japanese elements that would look bad if they were more realistic.
Japanese stories work so well in games like Live a Live or Star Ocean, because they retain that retro charm.
As much as I love FF7, with the remake there are clearly some awkward moments when it's taken out of the box.

StereoVsn

That's the right answer.

RED_STEAM_Gif_Features_EN.gif

Full 3D would take 10 years, with purely Japanese elements that would look bad if they were more realistic.
Japanese stories work so well in games like Live a Live or Star Ocean, because they retain that retro charm.
As much as I love FF7, with the remake there are clearly some awkward moments when it's taken out of the box.
Yeah, I think FFVII being what it is has a good fit for the full on Remake.

The older titles would be much better served by the more modern, but still “cartoony” looking 2D-HD remake style.

Star Ocean 2 was done superbly and I would love to see that for Chrono, Xenogears and FFVI.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Just make sure every copy comes with a re-release of the CT SNES cart so I can ignore the (most likely) crappy remake entirely

bigdad2007

If they were going to the trouble of doing a full 3d remake I would rather them just make a sequel to cross/trigger.

If they do a remake the 2.5hd style would be awesome with basically no changes to the game, it doesn’t need any.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
You people won’t stop until every game is a third person, over the shoulder, action game with super expensive graphics.

Make it first person then.

I actually think first person would be really interesting for a remake, but the problem with that viewpoint is the combat wouldn't be as dynamic.

It'd be a real remake then.

RavageX

In the vein of Dragon Quest XI S. Remaster the music, keep the 2D option as well. Maybe even create an after story.

But DON"T MESS WITH ANYTHING ELSE. LEAVE THE MAIN STORY, CHARACTERS, MUSIC, ETC ALONE. And the atmosphere needs to be a bit darker....

Scotty W

Gold Member
Something like Street Fighter 2 HD and Octopath Traveller.

Fix the new areas from the DS, which are objectively some of the worst game design ever seen.

fallingdove

Something like Street Fighter 2 HD and Octopath Traveller.

Fix the new areas from the DS, which are objectively some of the worst game design ever seen.
Down with Octopath style pixel + 3D. Definitely don’t want them to go down the SF2HD route - worst looking, worst animating remake of all time.

I wouldn't mind it in the style of Dragon Quest XI. Keep the battle system the same, while using the "classic" battle camera in DQXI.

Chrono Trigger still slams in its original state so there isn't a need, but a 2DHD remake like they're doing with DQIII would also be sweet.

Gp1

Im Not No Way GIF

Given that Chrono is about time travel and what they did with the FF7R script with all that "breaking the chains of destiny" Kingdoms Heart bullshit, today's Square would definitely screw this one.

At max a remaster like Tactics Ogre: Reborn, without changing a single line on the script. Chrono has an almost perfect pace.

Last edited:

DeVeAn

I’d love to see it remade in the art style of Blue Dragon. That game stills looks clean today. Keep everything else the same though. Maybe QoL update to menus and maps.

Top Bottom