• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix lists upcoming games, doesn't list Kingdom Hearts 3 as 2017

aadiboy

I don't think Nomura needs to be taking on anymore work other than directing the two games under his belt. He needs to stop doing character designs for games he's not directing, someone else can do that shit.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

edit: apparently Birth by Sleep took 5 years as well! So what startling new engine pushed development back on that one?

--- The Nomura Engine.

Type 0 was announced at the same time as Versus and came out in 2011. That's 6 years with nothing to do with Nomura. I don't know why some people are so insistent on putting all the blame on the guy even for projects he doesn't even have to do with. If you want to criticize SE's workflow that's fine because it affects all internal devs, but its not down to one director you happen to hate or have an issue with.

And as for FF7R, i am sure we'll get some new info soon. The fuckery of the internal teams doesn't have much hold on this project is my guess

Type 0 was announced at the same time as Versus and came out in 2011. That's 6 years with nothing to do with Nomura. I don't know why some people are so insistent on putting all the blame on the guy even for projects he doesn't even have to do with. If you want to criticize SE's workflow that's fine because it affects all internal devs, but its not down to one director you happen to hate or have an issue with.

And as for FF7R, i am sure we'll get some new info soon. The fuckery of the internal teams doesn't have much hold on this project is my guess

When people are disappointed with something they need to find something or someone to blame. Nomura is the perfect scapegoat.

Unfortunately the only way to really prove it wrong is for there to be sizable info on KH3 and for it to release.

People will point to Versus XIII since it's the last major AAA title he had his hands in and it was passed off to another Director. Until he pushes out a new major game like KH3 or a slice of a FFVII:R threads are gonna be like this.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
When people are disappointed with something they need to find something or someone to blame. Nomura is the perfect scapegoat.

Unfortunately the only way to really prove it wrong is for there to be sizable info on KH3 and for it to release.

People will point to Versus XIII since it's the last major AAA title he had his hands in and it was passed off to another Director. Until he pushes out a new major game like KH3 or a slice of a FFVII:R threads are gonna be like this.

Your right. Regardless of all my playing defense, the fact of the matter is people are impatient and they HAVE been incompetent with the handling of information which i can understand makes people stir crazy. Hopefully we get some updates soon.

Remember when square could do all this in a single console generation?
(Pic taken from google images)

CgFqHSe.jpg

Your right. Regardless of all my playing defense, the fact of the matter is people are impatient and they HAVE been incompetent with the handling of information which i can understand makes people stir crazy. Hopefully we get some updates soon.

Yeah. Personally I believe in the team and Nomura as a Director of those projects but they need to basically deliver results. E3 will be a very interesting test I think.

(Pic taken from google images)[/IMG]

Remember when Naughty Dog could make a complete standalone trilogy and a kart racer in a single generation?

I get your point but this is unfortunately true of pretty much all AAA developers nowadays.

daffy

Banned

And after Type 0 Tabata wasn't directing, until FFXV, which I mean the results speak for themselves as to that whole decision. Meanwhile Nomura was given two additional directorial projects. Obviously SE-J is quite comfortable letting higher ups dictate the workflow of their projects. I highly doubt SE mandates or outlines these sort of development times. Not with SE Europe putting out games like clockwork.

Cipherr

It's hard for me to even imagine FF7Remake ever being finished. I know we'll get the first part of the series. But, it seems so far off, I can't even wrap my head around when subsequent episodes will be done. If it's a trilogy, we are literally talking about the last game being a 2022 game, at best.

Just, fucking insanity.

Yes. I feel the same way. Its completely ridiculous IMO. They should be ashamed. I think its absurd how much time there will be between its original announcement and the date the last part ships.

Crazy

(Pic taken from google images)

CgFqHSe.jpg

Remember when you had to use four discs for a 2GB game?

Development is just different now. Does that mean Square is doing it right? No. Square is a mess. They're destroying the capital of 2 their flagship series and they need an injection of new blood more then any other studio I can think of right now. But comparing their output to the days before the merger isn't quite right. Nobody can do that anymore. It's not realistic.

Times have changed. So have development cycles.

I know. But these guys have trouble getting one big game out a generation now. I'm aware we'll never see ps1 level output again but this is just crazy.

FFXIII and FFVSXIII went through development hell before finally being released several years after being announced. Now FFVIIR and KHIII seem to be going through it as well.

I know. But these guys have trouble getting one big game out a generation now. I'm aware we'll never see ps1 level output again but this is just crazy.

FFXIII and FFVSXIII went through development hell before finally being released several years after being announced. Now FFVIIR and KHIII seem to be going through it as well.

KHIII is probably going to come out later than it really should, but FFVIIR isn't going through development hell, it just isn't coming out 6 months after the announcement like some people wanted to hear. There aren't really any sign pointing to it having a troubled development, and I think the episodic nature was Square's semi misguided attempt at making sure the game actually gets out while allowing Nomura to be a ridiculous perfectionist about some things.

Koh

I'll admit... I expected FFVII part 1 this year since it was announced. I refused to believe they would release later, but this is solid proof I was connecting dots that never existed.

KH doesn't surprise me at all.

Mediking

Alotta people trash KH 2.8 for being overpriced but it WAS hype. That boss fight on Destiny Islands (0.2) was worth the price.

Meowster

I told myself from the get go that I wouldn't be getting myself hyped for III until an actual date was announced. Learned my lesson from Versus and it has saved me from any further disappointment whenever it comes to Square Enix.

Ydelnae

edit: apparently Birth by Sleep took 5 years as well! So what startling new engine pushed development back on that one?

--- The Nomura Engine.

They started development in PS2 and had to pause productions for almost a year iirc to work on another game, and when they came back to work on BBS then they re-started the game on PSP. It didn't have a stable 5 year development cycle.

Nya

The defense force for Nomura never fails to amuse me. KH III still has worlds "untouched", we'll be lucky if we even get this game in 2018..

Ugh .. Why did they have to give him FFVIIR, damn it SE...

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah but it also says "and beyond" and lists the Marvel IP which isn't going to be announced until next year. It leaves some reasonable doubt.
Yeap but that makes the thread based on assumptions and not real facts because the list indeed list all of them for FY2018 (that includes 75% of 2017) and beyond.

Not saying these games can't be launched in calendar 2018 but there is no evidences in this slide for any side. It is like Square Enix saying "These games are listed to released in 2017 and beyond".

The only thing the slide proves is that they did not set a public schedule/date for FFVIIr and KHIII.

faint.

I thought it was well known that this was a 2020 release (not including delays)? See you guys in 2023, 10 years since the reveal!

Swordy

THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE
THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

jennetics

Dude, relaaaaax. We'll get through this together. Final Fantasy VIIR and KHIII will release, and it'll be great, and we'll all be finally fulfilled.

Edit: Apparently this is a reference to something I don't know about, apologies lol

PantsuJo

I agree with you.

Dragon Quest XI is what I'm anticipating from SE. I couldn't care less when KH3 releases. I'll play it and have fun with it when it comes out, but it's just not a game I'm chomping at the bit to experience

Ouroboros

THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE THIS CANNOT CONTINUE

...oh my, a Taro Kingdom Hearts reboot. Oh....my....

Nomura's probably still designing Lightning's keyblade master armor under the watchful grace of Toriyama. Then by the grace of Toriyama-sama he must retcon the timeline so that it appears that Lightning was with Sora and friends the whole time.That's why it's taking so long. It has to be perfect.

Lol at the replies of people saying "of course it's not coming this year!" like as if a game announced nearly 4 years ago could possibly come out now.

Tohsaka

Boss★Moogle;234658705 said:
Is DQXI really coming out this year in the West?

Western localization hasn't been announced yet, Chinese and Korean versions will be out this year though.

Top Bottom