• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Reveals 'Dragon Quest: Your Story' Film In Production (based on DQV)

sublimit

Banned
Square Enix has announced that Dragon Quest, the seminal JRPG franchise, will be given the film treatment, with 'Dragon Quest: Your Story', a 3D CGI-animated movie, set to release on August 2nd in Japan. The film's plot will be based on Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride.
Alongside the formal announcement of Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of An Elusive Age, 'Dragon Quest: Your Story' sports some of the pedigree of its game counterparts, with series' creator Yuji Horii acting as a supervisor on production. Direction will be handled by Ryuichi Yagi and Makoto Hanafusa, and the script penned by Takashi Yamazaki (Doraemon: Stand By Me, Parasyte).
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2019/8763.html

I loved DQV so i'm curious to see what they will do with the plot and characters. Kinda disappointed that it's CGI though,i'd have prefered a more traditional approach.But i'm sure it will still look very pretty judging from the CGI SE has produced in recent DQ games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah, I was also hoping it was high quality 2D animation but the CGI for DQXI looked pretty good. At least it’s better than turning it to live action movie.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Based on the best Dragon Quest game in the series? Hell yeah.

Shouta

I'm pretty excited for this even though I know it'll set off the waifu wars again lol.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The best RPG story in the videogame will become a movie???

Amazing.

It is unbelievable how this game is still today pioneer in what it does with character, story and progression.... it is still so ahead of our time.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
One of the things i absolutely loved in DQV and made me love the characters even more were the often very funny and always interesting party chat. It's insane how much character development and how many lines of dialogue were put in there. In comparison DQXI's party chat wasn't that interesting which was one of the very few minor disappointments i had with that game.Of course if i hadn't played DQV (and to a lesser extend DQVIII) it wouldn't have bothered me.
Also DQV's felt more interactive with the party members always saying new things even when there wasn't anything major going on (for example just entering in a house or talk to a random NPC the characters would always have something to say about the situation). Too bad the DS version of DQIV didn't had party chat as well because even if it was half as interesting as DQV i'd have loved to read it when i played that game.

Belmonte

Pity it isn't based on Dragon Quest IV. But DQV is cool too. Will wait to see a trailer before being hyped since the CGI part makes me worried.

Arkage

Banned
So bizarre to do a CGI movie about an old RPG, but it was a good game. Hope they do one for IV eventually :D

Top Bottom