• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix ships Tomb Raider 3.4M, Sleeping Dogs 1.75M, Hitman 3.6M

mocoworm

Eurogamer's take on this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-26-tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million copies, failed to hit expectations

"3.4 million copies of Tomb Raider have been sold in four weeks, publisher Square Enix has revealed, which is not enough to hit the game's sales target.

Fellow Square Enix title Hitman Absolution sold 3.6 million units since its launch in November last year, while Sleeping Dogs sold 1.75 million since last August.

There's no mention of what the company's internal sales expectations were for the trio, just that all three missed their respective marks.

Square Enix expected 14.9 million retail game sales from North America and Europe combined in its six-monthly forecast last September. Considering the fact that Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs were the only big releases for these regions and accounted for a combined 8.75 million sales worldwide, it's clear that their targets were a good deal higher.

Today's numbers, published in Square Enix's latest financial report, do not count digital sales.

The figures are predicted totals for the current financial year. With five more days to go, they're unlikely to change very much unless you personally go out and buy 500,000 copies of Tomb Raider right now.

The business' North American sales momentum was singled out as being particularly "ineffective". The continent recorded just two thirds of Europe's sales. Back in September, Square Enix had forecast that North American sales would be higher than Europe's.

Price protection - where a publisher is forced to compensate retailers for any games shifted at cut cost - added to Square Enix's woes.

The company revealed earlier this morning that its net sales and total profits would be significantly lower than expected for the current financial year.

In large part this is due to a restructuring of its games business, a measure necessary due to lacklustre sales of its console game portfolio. Company president Yoichi Wada has also been replaced."

Dragon

Banned
It's criminal that Sleepydogs sold less than Tomb Raider and Hitman. Absolutely criminal.

I mean it's essentially a new IP since they didn't use the True Crime name. I think it did pretty well and the amount of DLC they've been churning out, I can't believe they didn't make money off of it.

wildfire

Banned
And Tomb Raider is not even out for a month. What were their expectations? Given the state at which the budgets are rising. Lets hope we don't see a repeat of the infamous crash.

When you look at TR and Hitman its obvious they expected TR to be their blockbuster shattering records. TR is supposed to have the sales of hitman in 1 month during the end of winter compared to a game 4 months old and released during the major holiday.

Instead it incinerated their wallet.

Gannd

Banned
Eurogamer's take on this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-26-tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

Tomb Raider has sold 3.4 million copies, failed to hit expectations

"3.4 million copies of Tomb Raider have been sold in four weeks, publisher Square Enix has revealed, which is not enough to hit the game's sales target.

Fellow Square Enix title Hitman Absolution sold 3.6 million units since its launch in November last year, while Sleeping Dogs sold 1.75 million since last August.

There's no mention of what the company's internal sales expectations were for the trio, just that all three missed their respective marks.

Square Enix expected 14.9 million retail game sales from North America and Europe combined in its six-monthly forecast last September. Considering the fact that Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs were the only big releases for these regions and accounted for a combined 8.75 million sales worldwide, it's clear that their targets were a good deal higher.

Today's numbers, published in Square Enix's latest financial report, do not count digital sales.

The figures are predicted totals for the current financial year. With five more days to go, they're unlikely to change very much unless you personally go out and buy 500,000 copies of Tomb Raider right now.

The business' North American sales momentum was singled out as being particularly "ineffective". The continent recorded just two thirds of Europe's sales. Back in September, Square Enix had forecast that North American sales would be higher than Europe's.

Price protection - where a publisher is forced to compensate retailers for any games shifted at cut cost - added to Square Enix's woes.

The company revealed earlier this morning that its net sales and total profits would be significantly lower than expected for the current financial year.

In large part this is due to a restructuring of its games business, a measure necessary due to lacklustre sales of its console game portfolio. Company president Yoichi Wada has also been replaced."

Eurogamer doesn't know how to read those slides. It isn't clear if those are shipped or targets, I'm on the side that those are the targeted numbers and not actual.

Every game doesn't have to be a blockbuster AAA 100 million dollar budget. It's stupid to do so especially right now. How many people have huge backlogs of games they haven't even touched yet? How many people have bought less, or even put off buying games completely because of the economy? Lower the budgets, lower the price, make smarter business decisions.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Seems odd to not include digital sales. I imagine digital sales of all those titles was pretty significant and the profit margins on digital sales is *much* higher.

At this point in the market, I'm starting to believe they're excluding digital sales as a tool to mask and justify other problems.

Agree 100%. Don't spit out numbers if you aren't including digital. It's a significant portion of sales - don't pretend otherwise.

kswiston

A couple of years ago, S-E said that they had a goal to have 6-7 franchises selling at x number of copies per entry, and that those franchises would be the core of their business. I know that they were counting DQ, Final Fantasy, and Kingdom Hearts on the Japanese side, and were hoping that Hitman, Tomb Raider, and maybe Deus Ex would join the club on the Western side. Anyone remember what the target sales number per franchise was?

UrbanRats

The IP is too big to leave and die. My prediction: Crystal Dynamics will be allowed to make one more attempt with this new Tomb Raider universe. Then the sequel will underperform unless any significant changes are made to the gameplay formula (aping Uncharted only gets you so far).

Then the series will either get rebooted again or SE will leave the series to rot.

This would be crazy to see.
I wonder if they would have the balls to reboot it with a male protagonist.

And of course, by "balls" i mean "doing it with a straight face", since Tomb Raider is THE series with the female lead.

Eurogamer doesn't know how to read those slides. It isn't clear if those are shipped or targets, I'm on the side that those are the targeted numbers and not actual.

The Sleeping Dogs number makes it pretty unlikely those are targeted numbers. It's not far ahead of what we already know they shipped in 2012.

Jac_Solar

Wow.. and some companies are STILL complaining? Seriously?

They either complain about pirates, poor sales, or being "forced" to increase budgets. This is just ridiculous.

They, the very companies that keep pushing up budget prices, are usually the ones that complain about having to increase budgets. But I'm pretty sure they can make more niche titles that will easily cover the budgets most of the time.

Pretty much every single "AAA" game has been mediocre anyhow -- the only spectacular thing about them are the budgets and polish.

I don't think Demon's Souls, or Dark Souls could be classified as "AAA" titles, even though they are far superior in quality, they didn't have anywhere near the marketing or, presumably, the budget of AAA titles. The fact that Dark Souls is getting a sequel implies that it must have made some money.

It's just annoying that the studios keep pushing up the budget for games and marketing while pushing down the quality, and then expect to be rewarded for it.

Burt

I mean it's essentially a new IP since they didn't use the True Crime name. I think it did pretty well and the amount of DLC they've been churning out, I can't believe they didn't make money off of it.

Sleeping Dogs was supposed to be a True Crime game?

Bruno MB

The funny thing is that outside of a main Final Fantasy title or if lucky Kingdom Hearts 3, nothing from the Japanese side of Square-Enix can dream of selling in the West what apparently these three underperforming titles did.

Wow.. and some companies are STILL complaining? Seriously?

They either complain about pirates, poor sales, or being "forced" to increase budgets. This is just ridiculous.

They, the very companies that keep pushing up budget prices, are usually the ones that complain about having to increase budgets. But I'm pretty sure they can make more niche titles that will easily cover the budgets most of the time.

Pretty much every single "AAA" game has been mediocre anyhow -- the only spectacular thing about them are the budgets and polish.

I don't think Demon's Souls, or Dark Souls could be classified as "AAA" titles, even though they are far superior in quality, they didn't have anywhere near the marketing or, presumably, the budget of AAA titles. The fact that Dark Souls is getting a sequel implies that it must have made some money.

It's just annoying that the studios keep pushing up the budget for games and marketing while pushing down the quality, and then expect to be rewarded for it.

I was actually debating with a buddy the other day on if DS could be considered AAA.. i was on the fence but he was pretty adamant it was. I dont think we ever came to a consensus lol

UrbanRats

I was actually debating with a buddy the other day on if DS could be considered AAA.. i was on the fence but he was pretty adamant it was. I dont think we ever came to a consensus lol

Well it's a matter of budget, so you just need to know how much it cost to produce.

eot

Banned
Whenever I see retail sales numbers I just keep thinking about the fact that LoL has 5m concurrents.

antitrop

It's disappointing that their expectations were so low for Sleeping Dogs and it failed to even meet that.

One of the best games of last year. Mainstream gamers have such shit taste and don't even know they want something. It's probably because of the name.

mclem

For Tomb Raider it's probably alienating the original TR fanbase. I wonder how many dudebros bought it because of Uncharted action and how much less TR fans bought it because of that. I mean I was a 100% Tomb Raider fan till this game. And I'm really sure that I will never buy it at all. Even at 10pounds or less.

I'm curious how I'll find the game; I've got it lined up as my Easter play. In terms of previous games I've played the first one to completion and liked but didn't love it; I was disappointed with the quality of the puzzles combined with gameplay that I felt the controls weren't solid enough to sustain. I'm expecting better action gameplay but poorer puzzles this time around, but that might be for the better n my eyes.

Mandoric

Banned
Wow, it's sad when sales of 3m+ are considered weak, albeit with publishers having to pay retailers more money under the price protection regulation.

All the more reason for publishers to encourage Digital distribution where giving a discount of say $10 does not entail the publisher having to shell out that same amount to compensate the middleman.

That's a false economy--they're shelling it out because the middleman paid them it in the first place. With a digital storefront they'd never have had it (and the 1% or 2% it makes them over a few months) to begin with.

extralite

NA being 2/3 of EU sales is especially bad given NA is by far the larger HD console market.

I notice DQX isn't mentioned anywhere in the reasons for the extraordinary loss? What happened with that MSN article?

As I understood it, DQX isn't causing much of a loss (if any) but rather they expected it to sell better (so it would have cushioned the losses those other games infered, imo). So it'd only be indirectly responsible for the bad result, if we can even put it that way.

The MSN article seemed to be mostly concerned with Japanese titles and simply said that while DQX and social games sold well enough they didn't provide a great source of income. And that SE was the only Japanese game company being in the red, comparing them to the more successful Namco and Tecmo, and to Sega or Capcom, who both took hits but are still profitable.

The Western titles weren't mentioned explicitly but it is now evident that they were the bigger problem.

Superfrog

They have to be shipped numbers. Actual Tomb Raider sales are far below the mentioned 3.4 million (according to NPD and Chart Track numbers plus estimates for mainland Europe).

They have to be shipped numbers. Actual Tomb Raider sales are far below the mentioned 3.4 million (according to NPD and Chart Track numbers plus estimates for mainland Europe).

We don't have any NPD numbers. March isn't even over yet. I don't see any firm basis yet to say how far below 3.4 million TR has actually sold.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The important thing I thought was the specfic calling out of the NA sales force being "ineffective" by only producing sales 2/3 that of their EU counterparts.

I wonder what this means in terms of revenue by platform, given 360's dominance in the NA market compared to PS3 in Europe. Would it really be so unlikely that PS3 and 360 owners' tastes are actually less similar than we tend to think?

sleepykyo

The important thing I thought was the specfic calling out of the NA sales force being "ineffective" by only producing sales 2/3 that of their EU counterparts.

I wonder what this means in terms of revenue by platform, given 360's dominance in the NA market compared to PS3 in Europe. Would it really be so unlikely that PS3 and 360 owners' tastes are actually less similar than we tend to think?

Underworld had a similar problem. Seems Lara will never be as popular in the US as the publisher would like.

It's criminal that Sleepydogs sold less than Tomb Raider and Hitman. Absolutely criminal.

Oh wait, figures don't include downloads. They were practically giving the best version away merely two months after release, so I imagine that's a large chunk missing from the actual numbers.

Not at all criminal. It just doesn't fit your tastes. I prefer both to Sleeping Dogs.

Hindle

Banned
I can't say I'm surprised both games under performed. They insulted the fans by taking each series in a direction that dumbed down the gameplay.

UrbanRats

thats what i always though, but he was going more off of scope/quality.

I think David Jaffe (i may be remembering wrong though) said that it was used "behind the scene" to refer at games in different budget tiers.

I don't think there's an official definition, but it just makes the most sense to just restrict the definition to budget, marketability and man power put into the production, as opposed to a vague "quality" metric, that doesn't make sense.
You can't really say which game has more "quality" than the other, since there are countless factors to consider (hence why there are dissenting reviews) yet you can easily see how much the game cost to produce, and separate different productions under different budget tiers.

xandaca

Don't worry everyone, Deus Ex on Wii U will cover the shortfall. *chuckles*

Seriously, it's pretty embarrassing that 3.6m units sold in a month is 'below sales expectations'. I'd imagine/hope they made a decent profit on the game (likely just not as much as expected), but surely it can't be a sustainable long-term business plan to have to meet such exorbitant numbers, especially when a few bad reviews can have such deleterious effect? It's only going to get worse next gen, of course.

THQ's business was build off of licensed properties for a decade or so, and when they tried to transition to new, publisher-owned IPs they failed to compete. Square Enix has the best catalogue of IP in Japan outside of Nintendo. They have just really been dropping the ball when it comes to taking advantage of their IP.

THQ's failure had nothing to do with the new direction.

Seriously the losses on the PS3 / 360 tablets, the following lawsuits, were just astronomical. It's insane that the thing ever got the greenlight.

U-Draw bankrupts a company... Maybe the U is a bad omen. :p

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Maybe this will be a wake up call for SE and Eidos. Stop ruining old franchises for the sake of the casual crowd that doesn't exist anymore and keep your budgets in check. Deus Ex and Hitman fans don't need bleeding edge graphics to buy the game, Tomb Raider fans just want puzzles and actual Tombs.

I want bleeding edge graphics. You can throw out any multiplayer and tone down some of the cinematic parts though. I don't need to have to run through an exploding building to enjoy a game.

george_us

It'd be cosmic justice if the TR reboot winds up selling less than Underworld. Highly doubt it but it would be hilarious nonetheless.

Hindle

Banned
At this point Eidios Montreal seem the only people within Square who have a clue. Put them in charge, they may just get somewhere.

It'd be cosmic justice if the TR reboot winds up selling less than Underworld. Highly doubt it but it would be hilarious nonetheless.

With how they much they've hyped and advertised this game, it probably won't happen, but, if it does, it will be WELL deserved.

Sheroking

If "fucktons better" is code for "generic trash" then sure.

There's really nothing generic about it. There aren't many games like this (in spite of the cries of "Uncharted-clone!"), let alone this polished. It looks better, it controls better, it's paced better, it's smarter with a better storyline, and the mechanics are actually workable and satisfying - something that no other Tomb Raider game - ever - has had going for it.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
It's amazing that so many game reviewers hold such importance, especially when considering the fact that the vast majority of these reviewers are incompetent at properly analyzing and critically reflecting on the games they are supposed to assess.

Traditionally there IS a correlation between high metacritic and greater sales. It's just a general yardstick for measuring quality that publishers feel comfortable using.

Top Bottom