• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix ships Tomb Raider 3.4M, Sleeping Dogs 1.75M, Hitman 3.6M

That's what I've been saying. This industry is just getting too unsustainable because people constantly expect prices to drop so quickly. :-(

I love video games, seeing news like this is just disheartening and I worry about the industry, especially with the next gen systems looming :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus Christ... selling over 3 million copies of a game and still deeming it a failure.

I don't know anyone who has bought a disc in... a really long time...

Not including digital sales, in your projections or actual figures, is silly.

sflufan

Banned
Right, and that's a rather large distinction to make.

Everyone take a breath. 3.4 million units shipped is not the same as 3.4 million units sold.

Which means that some number potentially significantly less than 3.4 million was actually sold through to consumers and a rather large number of copies are sitting on the shelves of retailers.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Which means that some number potentially significantly less than 3.4 million was actually sold through to consumers.

Average selling price is also key.

Mirror's Edge sold over 2 million copies, but if half of that is at $5, it's not super helpful.

kswiston

Average selling price is also key.

Mirror's Edge sold over 2 million copies, but if half of that is at $5, it's not super helpful.

I don't think that really matters for Tomb Raider yet, considering it came out this March. It probably makes more of a difference for Hitman.

You don't know anyone buying discs on consoles?

I actually talked to a friend of mine last night over steam when he picked up Bioshock Infinite and I was really shocked. Why didn't you buy it on 360? I thought that was all you had played? Nah I haven't touched that thing in months he responded.

This guy is as middle of the road only buys AAA or whatever.

I'm not saying he's the norm, or that my friends are an appropriate sample size or anything, but the way people get their media is changing and it has been for years now. I don't know why digital sales aren't represented in this is all I'm saying.

It could be the way that sales figures are put in their contracts with the digital providers (steam or origin or whatever) I know you sometimes can't just give out hard numbers. But it's ridiculous that they are cutting out part of their complete picture and it benefits no one.

3.4 million copies are a failure these days? wow.

How do they expect to break even in the early days of new consoles then?

FTA:

There's no mention of what the company's internal sales expectations were for the trio, just that all three missed their respective marks.

Square Enix expected 14.9 million retail game sales from North America and Europe combined in its six-monthly forecast last September. Considering the fact that Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs were the only big releases for these regions and accounted for a combined 8.75 million sales worldwide, it's clear that their targets were a good deal higher.

Today's numbers, published in Square Enix's latest financial report, do not count digital sales.
Meh, the sales of me and "many" others will not be counted because I purchase 2 of those 3 titles digitally.

Verendus

Banned
I'm going to guess Tomb Raider and Hitman are another FFXIII-2 case. Big shipment number, poor sales. Hitman basically went to bargain bin prices instantly so I'm sure that likely didn't perform well at all. I'll reserve judgment on TR for now since it's only just released, but I'm interested in seeing Tomb Raiders NPD results.

noobasuar

Banned
Developers trying to find a middle ground between pleasing casual players and hardcore players.

Guess what? There is no middle ground in trying to please everyone. The video game industry is now able to only support really, really good games. Games that don't try to appeal to a certain audience or are market tested to hell, but games that are just good.

It doesn't help that there's fewer and fewer of those games released.

Shantom

Developers trying to find a middle ground between pleasing casual players and hardcore players.

Guess what? There is no middle ground in trying to please everyone. The video game industry is now able to only support really, really good games. Games that don't try to appeal to a certain audience or are market tested to hell, but games that are just good.

It doesn't help that there's fewer and fewer of those games released.

It's not as simple as that. I and many others would say Sleeping Dogs is the best game out of these three but it has a poor metascore by AAA standards and the lowest sales.

Tomb Raider was in development for 5 years, and it was shoved down your throat with an expensive marketing campaign. Of course 3.4 million isn't enough, with that huge budget. I doubt the game will be profitable anyway. Serves them right for killing the franchise.

I'm going to guess Tomb Raider and Hitman are another FFXIII-2 case. Big shipment number, poor sales. Hitman basically went to bargain bin prices instantly so I'm sure that likely didn't perform well at all. I'll reserve judgment on TR for now since it's only just released, but I'm interested in seeing Tomb Raiders NPD results.

I'm pretty sure FF XIII-2's budget was less than both games combined. So much content was recycled from the first one.

Verendus

Banned
I'm pretty sure FF XIII-2's budget was less than both games combined. So much content was recycled from the first one.
Come on now, read the rest of the paragraph. The budget for FFXIII-2 was most likely less, but it was massively overshipped. That's what I meant and I clarify it in the next sentence.

I love video games, seeing news like this is just disheartening and I worry about the industry, especially with the next gen systems looming :(

This is just something publishers need to get under control. If 3.4m is disappointing, then that suggests that expectations were too high and/or the game went over budget. David Cage recently noted that they were really happy with Heavy Rain's performance, and that it was highly profitable. That game ended up selling 2.3m as of the last time they updated the sales. So it's certainly possible to find a lot of success with AAA budget titles without putting up CoD-style numbers.

Skilletor

Ships makes much more sense and would explain the 20 dollar price drop already. Also, wasn't it possible to find hitman for about 20 not long after release? That's how much I bought it for.

KongRudi

Banned
Concidering Tomb Raider were 5 euro cheaper on PSN than in stores and on Steam, I would assume digital sales did pretty good. Atleast I went that route. :)

Maxim726X

Which means that some number potentially significantly less than 3.4 million was actually sold through to consumers and a rather large number of copies are sitting on the shelves of retailers.

Exactly.

So for all we know, the game could have sold 1 million across all platforms, which would most certainly be a failure.

If the game actually SOLD 3.4 million copies and didn't meet expectations, then bring back the torches and pitchforks.

mclem

That's what I've been saying. This industry is just getting too unsustainable because people constantly expect prices to drop so quickly. :-(

Well, I'd argue that it's more because developers budget without taking into account that prices drop so quickly. A subtle difference, but important, I feel.

Sold to retailers, not customers.

Eh. Doesn't publisher get its money when it ships game to retailer? So S-E has got its money for those 3.4 million shipped games? Of course in the future retailers will be wary of S-E titles if the actual sales are way less than the shipped numbers.

sangreal

Eh. Doesn't publisher get its money when it ships game to retailer? So S-E has got its money for those 3.4 million shipped games? Of course in the future retailers will be wary of S-E titles if the actual sales are way less than the shipped numbers.

Not really. As explained right there in the OP's slide, they have to pay up when retailers cant move those units at full price

Hindle

Banned
They made the MP portion of Tomb Raider and Deus Ex: HR was good, albeit flawed.

They know what the fans want from each of Eidios IP. In general they show respect towards the fans as well. Something Square no longer does.

Maybe this will be a wake up call for SE and Eidos. Stop ruining old franchises for the sake of the casual crowd that doesn't exist anymore and keep your budgets in check. Deus Ex and Hitman fans don't need bleeding edge graphics to buy the game, Tomb Raider fans just want puzzles and actual Tombs.
Amen.

Road

Numbers below are hypothetical

Hitman Absolution sales to consumers.

500k at $60
300k at $50
300k at $40
300k at $30
2.2 million at $20

Square Enix's cut:

500k * $35
+300k * $25
+300k * $15
+300k * $5
+2.2 million * $0

= $31 million

Should I start my own vgbusinezz site?

Numbers below are hypothetical

Hitman Absolution sales to consumers.

500k at $60
300k at $50
300k at $40
300k at $30
2.2 million at $20

Square Enix's cut:

500k * $35
+300k * $25
+300k * $15
+300k * $5
+2.2 million * $0

= $31 million

Should I start my own vgbusinezz site?

You're basing calculations and budgets on just presumptions.

You should be fine with a website.

Hari Seldon

I have been waiting for Tomb Raider to drop on Steam but as far as I can tell it hasn't. Thanks to this thread I checked Amazon and it is $35 download. Damn Steam price match this shit!

Pagusas

Elden Member
When 9's and 10's are handed out left and right, with an extraordinary use of superlatives and hyperbole, it's no fucking wonder that people have lost faith in contemporary game reviews.

When this has been the standard for several years now, it's perfectly understandable that the industry and the reviewers have created this weird vortex of financial reliance on Metacritic scores.
12730408775220mwigs.png

Hopefully you are right that consumers have realized this.

This is basically the US Education System grading system for there students, so it makes sense. At least for me growing up. Anything but an A was basically "average". And if you were in a class with lots of great students, even an A could be considered only "ok", when you could have got an A+ (or extra credit).

Top Bottom