• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix sued for $3.78 million

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=19477

Square-Enix is being sued by Soft-World International, a video game and magazine publisher based in Taiwan, for US$3.78 million.

According to a report on Digitimes, Soft-World alleges that Square-Enix has broken a contract signed in 2004 to distribute one of the Japanese company’s massively multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG) in Taiwan, Macau, Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong.

Soft-World claims that Square-Enix has failed to supply the company with the relevant source code for the MMORPG, making distribution of the game problematic. The lawsuit demands the return of a royalty payment of US$3.78 million.

Soft-World International is the largest software distributor in the Chinese market, and currently handles Chinese language versions of popular MMO’s RF Online, World of Warcraft and Ragnarok Online, amongst others.

aku:jiki

Um, I was under the impression that S-E have no "cash" at all? Don't they put pretty much all of their revenue into new projects?

aku:jiki said:
Um, I was under the impression that S-E have no "cash" at all? Don't they put pretty much all of their revenue into new projects?

They'll pay for the lawsuit with copies of Project Sylpheed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
aku:jiki said:

As of 2005, they have around 700,000,000 cash on hand (80bn yen), and settlement payments are ALWAYS amortized over a multi-year period so even if they had no cash on hand, they would be paying probably $500,000 from revenue every year for a few years.

Joeroll

I'm sure SE doesn't see this as 'chump-change' as some of you are putting it. W-T-F!

Oh wait S-E is invincible! They have Japanese dudes shitting yen!

aku:jiki

Stumpokapow said:
As of 2005, they have around 700,000,000 cash on hand (80bn yen), and settlement payments are ALWAYS amortized over a multi-year period so even if they had no cash on hand, they would be paying probably $500,000 from revenue every year for a few years.
Yeah, I wasn't trying to say that they won't be able to pay this off. Thanks for the exact figure, though.

Markster

I see what's going on:

Soft-World International is the largest software distributor in the Chinese market, and currently handles Chinese language versions of popular MMO’s RF Online, World of Warcraft and Ragnarok Online, amongst others.
Soft-World is a Chinese company, one of those ones that you have to deal with if you want to expand into China, (since the government is not going to let you in).

Soft-World alleges that Square-Enix has broken a contract signed in 2004 to distribute [FFXI] in Taiwan, Macau, Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong.
So, Square made a contract with them, since they knew there was no getting into China any other way.

Soft-World claims that Square-Enix has failed to supply the company with the relevant source code for the MMORPG, making distribution of the game problematic.
In order to translate the game into Chinese, Soft-World is simply demanding the entire sourse code. Nevermind that you can probably translate the game without looking at the source code at all.
Soft-World is probably planning on pocketing the source code for internal "research" for their own games. It's much easier to use the clout of the Chinese gov't to get a game engine than to build one from scratch.

Joe Molotov

I thought this was going to be a class-action lawsuit for mental anguish caused by undershipping Final Fantasy III.

[Nintex]

The days of bankrupt SE are over, Nintendo isnt screwing them with licensing or cartridge deals. And they don't need sony to pay their bills.

Guys, look, SE would be happy to give them the source code but they sort of lost it. You know how it goes. You make a game, it compiles, you figure you'll never need the source code again, you slack off on regular backups, there's a crash...

Viva Japanese game development!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
[Nintex] said:
The days of bankrupt SE are over, Nintendo isnt screwing them with licensing or cartridge deals. And they don't need sony to pay their bills.
And they stopped making crappy $124 million dollar movies. That sure did help.

Top Bottom