Square-Enix trademarks "SE Masterpieces" in Europe...

#55
Hmm, wouldn't "digitalizing our catalog titles" imply they're attempting to bring their NES-PS2 titles to VC/XBL/PSN as downloads (presumably under the "SE Masterpieces" brand) instead of the "HD collection on a blu-ray" method?
 
#56
Rpgmonkey said:
Hmm, wouldn't "digitalizing our catalog titles" imply they're attempting to bring their NES-PS2 titles to VC/XBL/PSN as downloads (presumably under the "SE Masterpieces" brand) instead of the "HD collection on a blu-ray" method?
HD Collections are released on blu ray and PSN.

AFAIK, they've already digitalized their pre-PS2 stuff. Unless they want to port that stuff to other online services.

EDIT: from the sounds of it, this masterpiece thing is a retail product, so it can't be something solely released on PSN or App store or whatever.
 
#57
FFX HD is all I need.

FFXII would be nice too though!

Really though, FFX needs more love here you haters. That game was incredible. First PS2 final fantasy game and it was better than FFXIII.
 
#59
reKon said:
FFX HD is all I need.

FFXII would be nice too though!

Really though, FFX needs more love here you haters. That game was incredible. First PS2 final fantasy game and it was better than FFXIII.
I'm only interested in FFXII, not FFXIII-lite, aka FFX
 
#70
PS2 Final Fantasies remastered in HD would be nice. The problem are the FMVs though.
I seriously doubt that Square-Enix would go through the trouble to re-render them in HD (would be nice if the did though).
 
#74
reKon said:
FFX HD is all I need.

FFXII would be nice too though!

Really though, FFX needs more love here you haters. That game was incredible. First PS2 final fantasy game and it was better than FFXIII.
FFX= Daddy Issues: The Game

I don't know anyone over the age of 27 or so who actually LIKES that game (FF X). I think (like FF VI) it was one of those "had to be there" things. I love FF VIII, and FF V (which I consider the best in the series) but a lot of people don't like those (ie: FF VIII came out when I was 16). I can understand, I think those are both games you had to be there for. FFX was terrible, I think it was either the first or second FF for a lot of people or something, based on the odd amount of love it gets. FF XII on the other hand was a huge improvement, I would LOOOOVE an HD remake. FF X and FF XIII were both extremely linear games. However the story in XIII blows X out of the water. Neither were amazing stories by any means though.
 
#78
ninj4junpei said:
It's almost like you want to live up to your tag.
If that was true I would like FFX or the actual worst FF, FFVIII.

I also don't get wanting to have a HD up conversions of these titles. They are going to look even more dated that way.
 
#79
Prophane33 said:
FFX= Daddy Issues: The Game

I don't know anyone over the age of 27 or so who actually LIKES that game (FF X). I think (like FF VI) it was one of those "had to be there" things. I love FF VIII, and FF V (which I consider the best in the series) but a lot of people don't like those (ie: FF VIII came out when I was 16). I can understand, I think those are both games you had to be there for. FFX was terrible, I think it was either the first or second FF for a lot of people or something, based on the odd amount of love it gets. FF XII on the other hand was a huge improvement, I would LOOOOVE an HD remake. FF X and FF XIII were both extremely linear games. However the story in XIII blows X out of the water. Neither were amazing stories by any means though.
I am 27 and I love FFX, It's in my top 5 FF game, It's a great FF game and one of the best in the series, I haven't really played much of FFXII but some day I will get to it.
 
#80
Rahxephon91 said:
If that was true I would like FFX or the actual worst FF, FFVIII.
I just can't tell if you are being serious most of the time.
Rahxephon91 said:
I also don't get wanting to have a HD up conversions of these titles. They are going to look even more dated that way.
I think the PS2 emulation thread would disagree about Final Fantasy XII.
 
#85
ninj4junpei said:
I think the PS2 emulation thread would disagree about Final Fantasy XII.
Yes FFXII would look ok, but not as great as a actual HD made game. So what's the point? The GoW collection hardly looks better then what my PS3 can do with the 2 games. And the RE4 upscale port dosent even look like a big jump. I doubt Square is going to put more effort then Capcom in doing these if that's what they are doing.

Ok so PS2 titles will look ok and even then I take issue with that. FFX has pretty bad animation now and I doubt a HD upscale will really improve the game. Regardless though, what are PS1 games going to look like? Just really clean? Ok? At the point I rather play them on an old tv with all thier fuzzyness. I can't imagine a really clean FF8 looking great on my HDtv.

I understand the desire to realease these games, but why do so many want HD versions. Are they going to look that great?
 
#87
Simousse said:
Does not sound like HD remake for me, but more like an european Budget Range label, like "Ultimate Hits" in Japan.
Sony Japan made the Ultimate Hits line for PS games. In Europe it's Platinum Hits I think. It's the platform holder that comes up with the budget range not individual publishers.
 
#88
Simousse said:
Does not sound like HD remake for me, but more like an european Budget Range label, like "Ultimate Hits" in Japan.
Why would SE sponsor there own budget range when all platform holders already have them? I really doubt it's anything of the sort.
 
#92
Rahxephon91 said:
Yes FFXII would look ok, but not as great as a actual HD made game. So what's the point? The GoW collection hardly looks better then what my PS3 can do with the 2 games. And the RE4 upscale port dosent even look like a big jump. I doubt Square is going to put more effort then Capcom in doing these if that's what they are doing.

Ok so PS2 titles will look ok and even then I take issue with that. FFX has pretty bad animation now and I doubt a HD upscale will really improve the game. Regardless though, what are PS1 games going to look like? Just really clean? Ok? At the point I rather play them on an old tv with all thier fuzzyness. I can't imagine a really clean FF8 looking great on my HDtv.

I understand the desire to realease these games, but why do so many want HD versions. Are they going to look that great?
Ability to play on non BC ps3 is a good reason. Possibly being able to download from PSN, better graphics, possibly International/Final Mix content that never came out of Japan as well.

I don't get your objection. If you're not interested in this stuff no one is forcing it down your throat.

"Ultimate Hits" is only for Square Enix games : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Enix_budget_ranges and concerned Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo (Final Fantasy XIII will be release in Japan in July under Ultimate Hits for both PS3 and Xbox 360).
Well that's odd. Does SCEJ not have a budget line like EU and NA?
 
#94
H_Prestige said:
Ability to play on non BC ps3 is a good reason. Possibly being able to download from PSN, better graphics, possibly International/Final Mix content that never came out of Japan as well.

I don't get your objection. If you're not interested in this stuff no one is forcing it down your throat.



Well that's odd. Does SCEJ not have a budget line like EU and NA?
My objection is to the need of HD versions when they can just release the titles digtialy as they have Been doing on PSN or VC. Why do they need to HD them up? Is the improvement going to be that worthwhile to even PS1 titles?

And why does it just have to be PSN?
 
#96
Yes, it's "The Best" in Japan. So for me, "SE Masterpieces" is the Japan "Ultimate Hits". That is why the trademark is under Square Enix Ltd.

For a HD release of old games, the trademark would be worldwide and under Kabushiki Kaisha Square Enix.
 
#97
near said:
SCEJ has 'the best' range. But I didn't know SE had its own budget line in Japan. :s
Yeah, that's weird. But hasn't SE Europe released their budget titles under the Platinum Hits until now? So I doubt this involves ps3/psp games. Maybe DS games? I don't think they even have any Wii games worth a damn.
 
#98
Rahxephon91 said:
My objection is to the need of HD versions when they can just release the titles digtialy as they have Been doing on PSN or VC. Why do they need to HD them up? Is the improvement going to be that worthwhile to even PS1 titles?

And why does it just have to be PSN?
They can't release ps2 games as is on psn for obvious reasons. They'd have to port them.
 
#99
H_Prestige said:
Yeah, that's weird. But hasn't SE Europe released their budget titles under the Platinum Hits until now? So I doubt this involves ps3/psp games. Maybe DS games? I don't think they even have any Wii games worth a damn.
Yes, until now, Square Enix releases its games under Platinium Hit. But Final Fantasy XIII will be the first game released under "SE Masterpieces" in my opinion, for PS3 and Xbox 360.
 
Simousse said:
Yes, until now, Square Enix releases its games under Platinium Hit. But Final Fantasy XIII will be the first game released under "SE Masterpieces" in my opinion, for PS3 and Xbox 360.
But they already have them under both the Platinum and Classics range.