• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix trademarks "SE Masterpieces" in Europe...

Ezalc

YYZ said:
Absolutely no one considers FFVII a masterpiece so they definitely shouldn't bother with that ugly child.

I know you're probably being sarcastic, but this is how I actually feel. The first post had it right, make IX the first SE you know you want to.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Acrylic7 said:
Enix hasn't made a good game to date, imo.
now Square, that's where the magic is.
Well, Enix was mostly a publisher. Chunsoft did DQ for them early in the series. Quintet developed the amazing Soul Blazer Trilogy and ActRaiser (I know there are other games, but these are the major ones). Tri-Ace did Star Ocean. So Enix does have its share of good games.

Anyway... FFXII: IZJS in HD and FFIX, then I'll be a happy camper.

But this sounds like a budget line to me, like "The Best" or "Ultimate Hits".

reKon

Banned
Prophane33 said:
FFX= Daddy Issues: The Game

I don't know anyone over the age of 27 or so who actually LIKES that game (FF X). I think (like FF VI) it was one of those "had to be there" things. I love FF VIII, and FF V (which I consider the best in the series) but a lot of people don't like those (ie: FF VIII came out when I was 16). I can understand, I think those are both games you had to be there for. FFX was terrible, I think it was either the first or second FF for a lot of people or something, based on the odd amount of love it gets. FF XII on the other hand was a huge improvement, I would LOOOOVE an HD remake. FF X and FF XIII were both extremely linear games. However the story in XIII blows X out of the water. Neither were amazing stories by any means though.

I want fucking destroy this post, but I don't think I want to spend the time =[

But come on now. You really think that XIII's story blows X's out of the water? Do you even remember the story of FFX or any details about the world of Spira?

Ezalc

Negator said:
I used to think that way, then I played FF2

Oh c'mon FF2 wasn't THAT bad. I mean the whole leveling system is broken sure, but it actually makes some sense on paper. I think that they were onto something and implemented it in a wrong way. The story was good for the time the game was released, there were characters and an objective. I haven't played all that many FF games but I liked FF2 for what it tried to do.

xii on the 360 please. i don't even need you to bring out that shiny zodiac thing, unlike some people. yeah, you hear that squaresoft? i'm easy prey for your money-vultures. c'mon, gimme.

gimmeeee.

Jerk

Banned
Prophane33 said:
FFX= Daddy Issues: The Game

I don't know anyone over the age of 27 or so who actually LIKES that game (FF X). I think (like FF VI) it was one of those "had to be there" things. I love FF VIII, and FF V (which I consider the best in the series) but a lot of people don't like those (ie: FF VIII came out when I was 16). I can understand, I think those are both games you had to be there for. FFX was terrible, I think it was either the first or second FF for a lot of people or something, based on the odd amount of love it gets. FF XII on the other hand was a huge improvement, I would LOOOOVE an HD remake. FF X and FF XIII were both extremely linear games. However the story in XIII blows X out of the water. Neither were amazing stories by any means though.

Shitty plot, characters, art and va aside, FFX was a damn good game.

Rahxephon91 said:
Lets not forget easy battle system with nothing to it. Not sure how it's a good game.

And wtf was wrong with the art?

It didn't mesh well because there wasn't an overall style going on. What Tidus wore had him at odds to Yuna's design for example. At least that's my take on it.

The Xtortionist said:
Character designs were complete ass. Tidus looks like a tool.
The character desgins are fine. I'm not sure how Tidus looks like a tool. I don't know how one looks like a tool, but whatever. He looks like a youthful and happy guy, which is what he is. I'm really not sure whats wrong with the art design of FFX. The game sells the tropical world it takes place in and the places of Zanarkand feel and look like a dream world.

Urban Scholar said:
It didn't mesh well because there wasn't an overall style going on. What Tidus wore had him at odds to Yuna's design for example. At least that's my take on it.
That's kind of the point.

He is "from" a different and more "modern" time. Of course he would be wearing something like that. She is from the "past" where tradition is more predominate. The art of FFX draws upon traditional Japanese folklore, it makes sense for her character to wear something that seems very Japanese like that.

Urban Scholar said:

But in that case the inconsistency enforces the fact that Tidus and Yuna are(metaphorically) from 2 separate worlds.

I mean, I think Tidus' costume looks stupid, but not being like Yuna's wasn't really a problem.

If you want to bring up an actual inconsistency, there's the fact that Yuna's costume doesn't mesh with the rest of Spira. Not even the Yevonites or summoners.

Jerk

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
I mean, I think Tidus' costume looks a lot stupid, but not being like Yuna's wasn't really a problem..

Agreed.

All in all, I thought the character designs in X lacked the aesthetic consistency of most of Nomura's other works.

Even the generally cringe worthy designs from KH all look like they belong together.

Teknoman

Rahxephon91 said:
Ok? That's one game that came late in the PS2's life. You think stuff like FFX or even The Bouncer are going to look fantastic?

If they look as good as they do with the PCSX2 emulator, then yes.

EDIT: Well it still looks better. Besides if Capcom can do RE4 and CV HD...

The Xtortionist said:
I can't get over Lulu's design either. Wouldn't it take days to put all those belts on??

How does she even move?

And where did she get her designer clothes while living in the world's tiniest village?

Hmm, so, PSN releases of the remaining PS1 catalog (Chrono Cross, Einhander, etc) along with PS3 HD remakes of the fully localized versions of FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII confirmed.
Alongside HD PSN/XBLA ports of Enix's gems of previous generations such as Mischief Makers.

If not, they're doing something wrong.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Rahxephon91 said:
The character desgins are fine. I'm not sure how Tidus looks like a tool. I don't know how one looks like a tool, but whatever. He looks like a youthful and happy guy, which is what he is. I'm really not sure whats wrong with the art design of FFX. The game sells the tropical world it takes place in and the places of Zanarkand feel and look like a dream world.
Overalls with asymmetrical pantlegs. A bright yellow and blue shirt.... And he's a sports hero?

Lulu, Wakka and Auron have some weird design elements going on too (belts, hair, weird sleeve things). The only one I really like is Yuna (aside from her silly different colored eyes).

In my mind it was a low point for Nomura's designs. It has been much better before and since (VIII and XIII come to mind as character designs I quite like).

How did the Tomb Raider Trilogy do anyway? Half the reason I bought it was to show support for these collections. (The other half was for Anniversary =P)

Gomu Gomu said:
Good. Re-releasing old games is the only thing missing when it comes to SE.

I have zero confidence in SE doing a proper re-release of any of its FF gems, to be honest. I'd rather they left the old games alone until they fix their priorities.

BocoDragon said:
Overalls with asymmetrical pantlegs. A bright yellow and blue shirt.... And he's a sports hero?
Look he's a young cocky sports hero who wears some eccentric things. It's not that crazy, some of our sport heroes are also strange..

rodman-nastyho.jpg

It's a fantasy world, I'm not worried about realistic dress wear in my FF titles.

Kagari said:
Considering Sony put out the tools for PS2 upconverts...

And S-E just put out the Tomb Raider collection for PS3...
My copy is still unopened. I bought it precisely to reward Square-Enix for putting out an HD collection of a PS2 series.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Lucky Number Seven Force said:
How did the Tomb Raider Trilogy do anyway? Half the reason I bought it was to show support for these collections. (The other half was for Anniversary =P)

No idea, but I bought it as well for that reason.

Man, what I would do for an HD The Bouncer port with Trophies/online play...
Or perhap even a sequel...if the game was a little more fleshed out (explorable town) it'd be even better. Think Yakuza series.

How farfetched is this?

I don't know if this has been put forward already, but given this is a European trademark, it's possible that this is a label for SE to publish the PSOne games on PSN that were never released here back in the day, such as Parasite Eve and Xenogears, that are already on the Asian and American stores.

Kagari said:
Considering Sony put out the tools for PS2 upconverts...

And S-E just put out the Tomb Raider collection for PS3...
So that's why we don't have software-based backwards compatibility. -_-
Fimbulvetr said:
How does she even move?

And where did she get her designer clothes while living in the world's tiniest village?
Magic. She uses are very weak version of float.

X was a low point for Nomura, but Auron was/still is awesome.

BocoDragon said:

Tidus doesn't wear a shirt. He does wear a jacket that only covers his nipples and nothing else, though.

Also, the only thing that contradicts him as a sports star is the fact that he wears a metal gauntlet for a full contact sport.

Rahxephon91 said:
It's a fantasy world, I'm not worried about realistic dress wear in my FF titles.

Semi-true, but it does look stupid.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Rahxephon91 said:
Look he's a young cocky sports hero who wears some eccentric things. It's not that crazy, some of our sport heroes are also strange..

rodman-nastyho.jpg

Tidus ain't a "freak" like Rodman. He's a pretty whitebread personality.. but whatever.

Realism doesn't bother me either... it just doesn't look stylish. Looks like some random "wacky" elements were thrown into a blender for FFX's designs. Everyone has some crazy gimmick in their clothing. I think Nomura was designing in that era under the self-impression that his job was to create craaaazy fantasy characters... but that wasn't how he got to the top, and he's since toned it down.

I'm thinking of the casts in other Nomura FFs and almost none of the characters are as "circus clown" as the general cast of FFX. Characters like Aerith, Squall, Lightning, etc are all wearing things that have some sort of fashionable appeal even if no one would wear it in real life. (actually come to think of it I do rock a Squall-like jacket in the winter)

Fimbulvetr said:
Tidus doesn't wear a shirt. He does wear a jacket that only covers his nipples and nothing else, though.
Right.. it's kind of a vest-jacket I guess. The colors are the main point. Really, I think "clown".

Rahxephon91 said:

I've never been in the camp that believes fantasy gives the developers a free pass to ignore logic. You can have both, and the end result is something more cohesive and believable.

Rubeus

I wonder if it is just for porting all their DS and PSP titles to HD platforms? They were such as waste on handheld systems, especially the PSP releases like Dissidia and Tactics Ogre.

Top Bottom