• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Wada Yoichis Interview with Nikkei

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully by some time before summer they announce at least one high level game for the Wii.

It would be just what both Square and the Wii need at this moment.

Jammy

Banned
S-E should be unveiling way more support for the Wii than they already have. DQS got good results for them, but that and Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon Wii just aren't enough. Let's see what's going on with The Crystal Bearers!

ksamedi

farnham said:
wasnt FF V announced already..?

well i know DQ V was..

FF V is not announced yet but I'm sure SE is already on it. Some people think the remake of VI DS won't make it though, which would suck to tell the truth.

farnham

Banned
ksamedi said:
FF V is not announced yet but I'm sure SE is already on it. Some people think the remake of VI DS won't make it though, which would suck to tell the truth.

uh why wouldnt they do that... they already sold million copies (if im right) for DQ 4 remake and they are on their way with FF 4 remake..

next year it will be DQ 5 remake and FF 5 remake.. the year after that DQ 6 and FF 6...

then finally maybe DQ 7 and FF 7

oh wait.. wasnt there DQ 9 for DS in development as well,..?

ksamedi

Jammy said:
S-E should be unveiling way more support for the Wii than they already have. DQS got good results for them, but that and Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon Wii just aren't enough. Let's see what's going on with The Crystal Bearers!

I think that one got cancelled, no new info or footage for a while now. I do think that KHIII will be for the Wii.

then finally maybe DQ 7 and FF 7

The DS catridge is not big enough to support FF7 I think. It would be pointless to do it on the DS anyway.

sphinx said:
announce your new stuff for PS3 and Wii already then.

and treat the Wii like the absolute and undisputable hardware leader that it is. Enough of the spin-offs; Create new, fantastic IPs with your top teams and developers on board and make games that put mario galaxy to shame or shut the fuck up.

Sony lol'd.

Amir0x said:
Translated: We will finish squeezing out FFXIII on PS3 (which costs as much as every DS and Wii game we are developing combined), and then we will shift all resources to Wii and DS.

I didn't know you could interpret PR speak so fluently.

TunaLover

farnham said:
- We think we can do much on the Wii. I talked to Iwata to exploit many possibilities and
cheer on him

So Wada finally give up at his new overlord. The resistance was tough while it last.

Maztorre

farnham said:
i doubt cell phones are a better revenue for SE then the DS..

Again you just aren't thinking like Great Leader Wada-san! You should be ashamed!

You automatically lower development costs by making the game on the cheap for phones. The deluded fans will automatically lower their expectations for any ports to DS whilst still hyping it in a bizarre form of doublethink. And just think of the free advertising whenever the fans will slobber all over each other wondering when they'll get ports of the cellphone games. See? You aren't taking the long-view approach Square-Enix have mastered!

Innotech

Banned
I wonder if this means a revisit to their FFCC2 CB project or if thats scrapped entirely.
I was actually looking forward to at least renting that to see if I could get at least somewhat into an ARPG but if its canceled, maybe Ill have to stick to Baroque :lol or maybe Ill just buy OMY.

Lobster

Banned
Second said:
joke post of the day

For all we know, he could have a time machine and he could be right.

Remakes don't instantly sell like gangbusters, On DSs 20 million userbase, the remakes of FF struggle to reach 1 million and the DQ get to somewhere in the millions and stop.

With Ps3s 3 million userbase..wow..I'd be surprised if it sold 500k.

In Japan that is.

Innotech said:
I wonder if this means a revisit to their FFCC2 CB project or if thats scrapped entirely.
I was actually looking forward to at least renting that to see if I could get at least somewhat into an ARPG but if its canceled, maybe Ill have to stick to Baroque :lol or maybe Ill just buy OMY.

I doubt its canceled, it was far too along to cancel.

Remember Umbrella Chronicles? It was supposed to be some shitty RE spinoff but then we heard nothing..then it popped up again and it actually looked like it had effort put into it. Yeah its an average lightgun game but it obviously changed from throwing a dog a bone to a Capcom game for Wii.

IMO, CC2:CB was only meant to be something to keep Nintendo fans happy, but now its changed into something more.

farnham

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
Hey, can I borrow your time machine?

...do you even have any idea what in the hell you are talking about?

1. FF 7 remake would be a remake on the losing system... look at how abysmal REmake did on the GC.... (and the PS3 is actually having worse sales then the GC right now)
2. Look at constant millionsellers like Dynasty warriors and Winning Eleven.. how did they do on PS3.. pretty badly actually

if you look at those facts its easy to assume that it wont be a high seller 500k tops...

in other words.. Square Enix will not put all this capital into a FF7 remake and sell like 500k in japan..

Maztorre said:
Again you just aren't thinking like Great Leader Wada-san! You should be ashamed!

You automatically lower development costs by making the game on the cheap for phones. The deluded fans will automatically lower their expectations for any ports to DS whilst still hyping it in a bizarre form of doublethink. And just think of the free advertising whenever the fans will slobber all over each other wondering when they'll get ports of the cellphone games. See? You aren't taking the long-view approach Square-Enix have mastered!

shit forgot about that

Doubledex

Banned
farnham said:
dragon_quest_swords_the_masked_queen_and_the_tower_of_mirrors_20061212.jpg

This one sold better then the FF 7 remake on PS3 ever could do

I think they will do a FF 7 DS if they would ever remake it at all (dev by matrix)
muhahha lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Maztorre said:

Wada? Is that you?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
farnham said:
1. FF 7 remake would be a remake on the losing system... look at how abysmal REmake did on the GC.... (and the PS3 is actually having worse sales then the GC right now)

Actually REmake sold very well...

Lightning

Banned
Hmm... PR speak without announcements dosen't mean anything. S-E are changing their tune more often then I have to change the oil in my car.

Not when compared to the original Resident Evil's sales it didn't.

dude

dude
Xisiqomelir said:
You...don't want new IP?
No, he he's being realistic. SE does not make new IPs, it is not how they operate.

FF7 Remake on PS3 will probably make it to a million, give the PS3 a minor HW bump in japan and that's about it.

Innotech

Banned
farnham said:
2. Look at constant millionsellers like Dynasty warriors and Winning Eleven.. how did they do on PS3.. pretty badly actually

if you look at those facts its easy to assume that it wont be a high seller 500k tops...

in other words.. Square Enix will not put all this capital into a FF7 remake and sell like 500k in japan..

shit forgot about that
Im thinknig SE wants to put FF13 and vs 13 out there and see if that ramps up PS3 sales enough to even justify a FF7 rebirth. I think ideally SE wanted the Ps3 to be selling much much higher than it is. If places were switched with Wii (sales), youd be hearing rumors of a FF7 remake already I bet.

xaosslug

...and SE's plans to placate Nintendo until they're absolutely sure things will never turn around for PS3 continues. :lol

Too much literal interpretation of Wada's comments here I see. Last time I checked, he was a Japanese businessman.

Where I can pick up a time machine for cheap?

farnham

Banned
Lightning said:
Hmm... PR speak without announcements dosen't mean anything. S-E are changing their tune more often then I have to change the oil in my car.

Not when compared to the original Resident Evil's sales it didn't.

i think it failed to achieve 300k (ReZero sold better with about 400k)

Innotech said:
Im thinknig SE wants to put FF13 and vs 13 out there and see if that ramps up PS3 sales enough to even justify a FF7 rebirth. I think ideally SE wanted the Ps3 to be selling much much higher than it is. If places were switched with Wii (sales), youd be hearing rumors of a FF7 remake already I bet.

probably... but with DQ 9 going to DS and pretty much every FF and DS beeing remade on the DS I see a FF 7 remake happening on the DS... (although i would prefer a DQ III remake)

Innotech said:

So those rumors of an FF7 remake on PS3 are just... rumors?

Lightning

Banned
I also think that Wada will be paying extremely close attention to how MGS4 sells on the PS3. If MGS4 bombs or doesn't do well enough, PS3 fans can forget S-E support this gen.

sphinx

the piano man
Lobster said:
I doubt its canceled, it was far too along to cancel.

Remember Umbrella Chronicles? It was supposed to be some shitty RE spinoff but then we heard nothing..then it popped up again and it actually looked like it had effort put into it. Yeah its an average lightgun game but it obviously changed from throwing a dog a bone to a Capcom game for Wii.

IMO, CC2:CB was only meant to be something to keep Nintendo fans happy, but now its changed into something more.

I could swear the former FF:CC CB is being tweaked and transformed as we speak into a FFXIII spin-off of high new-interaction ambitions, part of the "fabula nova crystalis" world.

I also believe SE will have to give up on having a " main " FFXIII and instead give a title to the PS3 game, so no one wins the numeric game and noone loses it either.

Amir0x

Banned
TheKingsCrown said:
:lol

Point taken

But peeps beat their chests FOREVER over this stuff, its not going to change now

It isn't going to change. But, there's a reason people would prefer this specific thing on PS3. Because it'd be way better. And that's the only thing that matters as a gamer.

Loudninja

Lightning said:
I also think that Wada will be paying extremely close attention to how MGS4 sells on the PS3. If MGS4 bombs or doesn't do well enough, PS3 fans can forget S-E support this gen.

Wha?

Maztorre

MassiveAttack said:
Last time I checked, he was a Japanese businessman.

Which is why nobody expects him to change anything at all about the business while it makes money, and when the market changes he will take 5+ years to realise what is going on and turn the boat.

Roxas

farnham said:
probably... but with DQ 9 going to DS and pretty much every FF and DS beeing remade on the DS I see a FF 7 remake happening on the DS... (although i would prefer a DQ III remake)

Are you fucking crazy? :lol

Maztorre said:
Which is why nobody expects him to change anything at all about the business while it makes money, and when the market changes he will take 5+ years to realise what is going on and turn the boat.

You've done business in Japan, I see. And yes, I agree.

Lightning

Banned
sphinx said:
I could swear the former FF:CC CB is being tweaked and transformed as we speak into a FFXIII spin-off of high new-interaction ambitions, part of the "fabula nova crystalis" world.

I also believe SE will have to give up on having a " main " FFXIII and instead give a title to the PS3 game, so no one wins the numeric game and noone loses it either.
They won't do that, of that I am very sure.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Amir0x said:
It isn't going to change. But, there's a reason people would prefer this specific thing on PS3. Because it'd be way better. And that's the only thing that matters as a gamer.

Or because they are flaming fanboys. Either or

farnham

Banned
Amir0x said:

Uh... I would like a 360 version with achievements and micro transactions then..

Roxas said:

so you say that making a low cost remake on a successful system is a bad business choice while making a high cost remake on a failing system is ingenious..?

its DQ 9 speculation all over again..

at least at that time PS2 was an option too

In other words, we're not saying a thing, because it's best to keep our mouth shut until the console war ends and our demographic selects a console, which we can then profit off... i.e., WE WANT PS2 BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!

This is the result when you lock yourself in to one or two series that are super high budget, high profile and thus need a mass market to appeal to. Had SE expanded, they could have a range of IPs at various economic tiers that they could make and secure, build demographics, and relevance, and still maintain their high profile IPs, but now they're locked in and starting to feel backed into a corner, so they shut their mouths, bury their heads, spit out a bunch of ports, and pray the market straightens out in their favor. They're turtling and it will only delay the inevitable. Innovate and make new IPs, or you might be facing obsolesce, SE.

Oh, and treat your fanbase with some freaking respect for once in your corporate lives.

Quazar

Lightning said:

?

I don't see the connection. Why would SE care for MGS sales? I'm pretty sure Konami and SE have enough money from Sony in their pockets as a backup plan.

Lightning

Banned
Loudninja said:
What is hard to understand?

MGS4 budget is massive, if it doesn't sell, do you really think FFXIII will sell? Not a chance in hell and I am sure Wada is thinking the same thing.

Innotech

Banned
xaosslug said:
...and SE's plans to placate Nintendo until they're absolutely sure things will never turn around for PS3 continues. :lol
the wii is at 5 million in Japan, and thats a level at which Japanese companies, including SE should really start taking it seriously. SE knows damned well the Wii can make some truly beautiful games, as Mario Galaxy and a few other games that actually attempted to look good have shown. But it will take more than a glance at Nintendo to achieve this. Knowing SE's history of successes, Id say if they take the time to make a great Wii game theyll be rewarded for it. But they also need to advertise it. they need to ship enough to cover demand, and they need to basically put enough weight behind it that it can be a success. DQS was a good start but the system can do more. Its getting to the point where there really isnt a good excuse not to do it anymore.

Lobster

Banned
Roxas said:

What?

Why would he be crazy?

Would he be crazy that FF games and DQ game are already being remade for DS?

and that DQ9 is appearing on DS?

Amir0x said:

You mean the graphics would be better and in the end, thats the only thing that matters to the fans.

farnham

Banned
Lobster said:
You mean the graphics would be better and in the end, thats the only thing that matters to the fans.

kinda funny considering FF 7 isn't really the best looking FF game on the PSone.. I thought it was all about gameplay..

Maztorre

Quazar said:
So whens the next time Square will have a show or even attend one? E3?

Square don't have "shows" so much as they have rooms in the hidden basements of Tokyo where the legendary JUMP FESTA PRIVATE TRAILER EXTRAVAGANZA takes place. Somehow each year the exact same person finds this private theatre and reports back with EXCLUSIVE OFF-SCREEN PICTURES and 10 seconds of new footage.

That person has the shittiest cellphone camera in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom