• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Wada Yoichis Interview with Nikkei

Status
Not open for further replies.

farnham

Banned
Innotech said:
no actually if I enjoy the game, that would mean I win.
People rave about godhand all the time and that got absolutely terrible reviews and was panned everywhere. But it happens to be hella fun. Similarly, for all the panning of the new niGHTs game and its cutscenes which I will agree with you are actually painful to watch, the core gameplay that Is in there more than does the original proud. sure its not exactly the same short lap race, it has a new strategy and a different method of linking and scoring, but its a very well designed scoring system, and clearly IIzuka focused most on the elements that matter to a niGHTS fan.

innotech got a point... amir0x actually made a thread about Mother.. and that shit is terrible even for a nintendo fan like me

Bishman

As a owner of a Wii, it is good news that S-E will be bringing more games to the console. Also will own a PS3 either this summer or fall, so I'm covered on all bases! :lol

KTallguy

Banned
Amir0x said:
The only reason PS3 (or 360) fans want FFVII is because of the very real leap and improvement the series would make coming to the platform, which could be way larger than anything that could come to PS2, PSP, Wii or any other platform between. Their reason for wanting it is actually relating to gaming, not sales...

Exact-a-fucking-mondo.

This is why I want Monster Hunter on PS3.

This is why I want MGS4 on PS3.

There is SO MUCH that people can do when the chains come off.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
vanguardian1 said:
So the Wii has no analog controls? Wow, boy was I off. ;)

I was addressing the point of a gameplay improvement that could be applied to FFVII, no matter which system its on.

Innotech

Banned
vanguardian1 said:
So the Wii has no analog controls? Wow, boy was I off. ;)
What I like about the system is that it CAN do analog controls, and can do several variations. It supports gamecube controller, wii controllers, classic controller, and wiimote by itself, so devleopers can pretty much use ANY control method they want. Since everyone pretty much is willing to buy a classic controller or extra wiimotes/nunchuks, thats a large userbase capable of utilizing any control method devleopers choose to use. That to me is very much a step forward for consoles in itself. Versatility. not being forced to just use one control method. I love this in niGHTS 2 because I can use several different controllers to see what works best. Same hting for Brawl when it comes out. So really, there ISNT a game that the wii cant do controlwise. It has options to control pretty much anything. And thats probably one of its huge draws too.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Amir0x said:
my point is the only legitimate reason ANY Wii gamer seems to argue for FFVIIre being on the platform is SALES SALES OMG.

The only reason PS3 (or 360) fans want FFVII is because of the very real leap and improvement the series would make coming to the platform, which could be way larger than anything that could come to PS2, PSP, Wii or any other platform between. Their reason for wanting it is actually relating to gaming, not sales, which is far more fucking admirable than this Wii bullshit.

lets be honest here, thats the only reason for a gamer, not a 360/ps3 fan. there are 360 fans would be hyping the shit out of FFVII if it was a 360 exclusive and they wont even buy it. same goes for ps3 fans.

RurouniZel

BishopLamont said:
I don't give a fuck about you SE until you give me my damn Chrono Trigger 2. Fuck you until then.

title2.gif

This news is a bit shocking. I thought it was going to be yet another one of his interviews, lamenting the state of the consoles market while brushing the Wii off as a toy like it's an insult. I guess reality had to catch up with him eventually. The PS3 is a dead or dying console, especially in Japan and if Square's main source of income is still there they have to move main operations to the Wii.

farnham

Banned
PillowKnight said:
I'm this - close to becoming a Drinky crow disciple.
actually it was a reference to a conversation i had with amir0x (mother is pretty entertaining from me.. but im bad at japanese.. so)

Redd

KTallguy said:
Exact-a-fucking-mondo.

This is why I want Monster Hunter on PS3.

This is why I want MGS4 on PS3.

There is SO MUCH that people can do when the chains come off.

Nothing wrong with giving the Wii better support because they do deserve it. For now it's the market leader it would be wrong to ignore it from Square-Enix's point of view.

KTallguy

Banned
RurouniZel said:

A bizillion characters with no character? No thanks. The soundtrack was awesome though.

iby.h said:
lets be honest here, thats the only reason for a gamer, not a 360/ps3 fan. there are 360 fans would be hyping the shit out of FFVII if it was a 360 exclusive and they wont even buy it. same goes for ps3 fans.

Bullshit. The original playstation owners made RPGs a true success in the US by purchasing many many copies of FF7. Unfortunately, FF6 and FF4 did not garner the sales to make them big hits in the US (as much as I love those games). The Playstation demographic definitely matches up with a more RPG centric market, if you look at prior precedent.

Redd said:
Nothing wrong with giving the Wii better support because they do deserve it. For now it's the market leader it would be wrong to ignore it from Square-Enix's point of view.

Why do they really deserve it though? Sure the controller and interface is unique, and potentially awesome. But *deserve* it? That's a stretch. I think that whatever platform fits the designers' vision the best should have the game published on it.

Redd

KTallguy said:
Bullshit. The original playstation owners made RPGs a true success in the US by purchasing many many copies of FF7. Unfortunately, FF6 and FF4 did not garner the sales to make them big hits in the US (as much as I love those games). The Playstation demographic definitely matches up with a more RPG centric market, if you look at prior precedent.

That and all those CG cutscenes:D

RurouniZel said:
RurouniZel said:
Does not satisfy.

Ok, just read all the FF7r arguments. Let's be honest here guys, the PS3 camp is scared of waggle and the shitty graphics, what they fail to see is pointer function can actually make the game more "lazy-friendly" and that the graphics would be more then adequate considering it's PS1>Wii. The Wii camp wants sales, support, respect etc etc and that's perfectly reasonable, but a PS3/
would increase the graphics to orgasmic levels and this is a very important aspect of FF7 since it was it's selling point back then. In the end money comes first and the Wii is slightly ahead in this department.

Then there's the DS, but that's for another day.

phalestine

aka iby.h
KTallguy said:
A bizillion characters with no character? No thanks. The soundtrack was awesome though.

how is it bullshit? so you are saying ps3 fans and 360 fans want FF7 on their consoles ONLY for that reason? ONLY for that one reason? shouldnt it be on PC then. please

RurouniZel

Redd said:
That and all those CG cutscenes:D

True, most of what was done 3-D wise in FFVII could easily have been done on the Saturn.

Square went with Sony because their system had the better mpeg decoder.

jay

Were some of you angry every time a PS2 game was announced last generation because the Xbox would have been the best platform to put games on for the sake of the game itself?

Redd

Those CG cutscenes everyone saw in commercials all those years ago sold alot of playstations. Hell it sold me one so it's fitting to see the remake on the ps3. They should also put it on the 360 to try and make some profit on it though.

Innotech

Banned
iby.h said:
how is it bullshit? so you are saying ps3 fans and 360 fans want FF7 on their consoles ONLY for that reason? ONLY for that one reason? shouldnt it be on PC then. please
actually...it should.

jay said:
Were some of you angry every time a PS2 game was announced last generation because the Xbox would have been the best platform to put games on for the sake of the game itself?
let me explain with a simple visual diagram where differences in console horsepower approximately lie

ps2...........gcn...xbox

wii............................................................................................hd consoles

not to mention the advantages of HD and 5.1/7.1 (possibly uncompressed) surround sound, dual language tracks, etc.

Innotech

Banned
jay said:
ever been to teamxbox?

jay

Innotech said:
actually...it should.

Every game should always be on PC because it has the greatest graphics and sound potential, great networking ability, a million peripherals, etc. Anyone who wants it on the PS3 is simply a Sony fanboy who doesn't care about games.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Bookey said:
nah, xbox and ps2 were at least on the same planet graphics wise

its not just about graphics, in fact I think graphics are the least important thing in this argument. its more about BIG worlds and more enemies on the screen etc.. etc.. . which I cant see why anyone wouldn't want that. but the fact that some are saying ALL wii owners want this *insert game* for sales is absurd.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
jay said:

Personally I think people have just gotten too spoiled. But it seems that since they can afford it, that's all that matters. -_-

badcrumble said:
let me explain with a simple visual diagram where differences in console horsepower approximately lie

ps2...........gcn...xbox

wii............................................................................................hd consoles

not to mention the advantages of HD and 5.1/7.1 (possibly uncompressed) surround sound, dual language tracks, etc.

I would just like some good games to play, pixels and sound channels be damned.
(I say that as my surround sound setup has been collecting dust, disconnected for almost 2 years)

Redd

badcrumble said:

ps2...........gcn...xbox

Makes you wonder why Square didn't release any Final Fantasies besides Crystal Chronicles and XI on the other consoles last gen.

Deku

Banned
jay said:

It's not comperable. PS3/360 has an order of magnitude more processing power. I think the problem with approaching a remake strategy for those consoles, one of which Wada doesn't really want to support outside of farming games out is that the cost would be prohibitive.

However, I think A PS3 FFVIIr is coming, financed by Sony. Nintendo gets the rest.

jay

Deku said:
It's not comperable. PS3/360 has an order of magnitude more processing power. I think the problem with approaching a remake strategy for those consoles, one of which Wada doesn't really want to support outside of farming games out is that the cost would be prohibitive.

However, I think A PS3 FFVIIr is coming, financed by Sony. Nintendo gets the rest.

The Xbox had Live while Nintendo and Sony basically had nothing. It's going to be an arbitrary assignment of value, but the closeness in processor power was offset by Live and it mattered a lot to some people.

Log4Girlz

What a very odd thread. Fuck it, I want a remake of FFVII on the PC, it could potentially look far superior to the ps3 version.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Rancid Mildew said:
This news is a bit shocking. I thought it was going to be yet another one of his interviews, lamenting the state of the consoles market while brushing the Wii off as a toy like it's an insult. I guess reality had to catch up with him eventually. The PS3 is a dead or dying console, especially in Japan and if Square's main source of income is still there they have to move main operations to the Wii.
I personally think this is just lip service. He doesn't want to piss off Nintendo by brushing off the Wii. Not while SE is milking their catalog for all its worth on the DS. I'll believe they plan to give the Wii any kind of serious support when I see some announcements made. I don't expect anything.

KTallguy

Banned
jay said:
Every game should always be on PC because it has the greatest graphics and sound potential, great networking ability, a million peripherals, etc. Anyone who wants it on the PS3 is simply a Sony fanboy who doesn't care about games.

To be frank, I think that FFXIII, or any game for that matter, would be awesome on PC. However there are great advantages to having a unified platform, because it allows for a more streamlined experience and easier bug elimination. PC is an open platform, which makes things both simpler and harder at the same time. In terms of creating a unified experience that an entire group of people can experience in the exact same way, consoles are unmatched.

I have to ask what the big deal is about where an FFVII remake would go to aside from fanboy allegiance. the only console where it wouldn't benefit from better graphics, better music, better translation, etc. is the Nintendo DS, which is where it probably will go but we're pretending that Square cares about more than money

that said, Kingdom Hearts III, a FFXIII game, and Dragon Quest X to the Wii, though not until 2009 at the earliest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom