• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SquareEnix talks about downloadable content, patches, and in-game ads

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/07/square-enix-talks-in-game-ads-patching/

* Trial chapters: This is a feature that will actually benefit gamers. Wada mentioned a system where gamers could download the first chapter of a game and pay for later installments, a la episodic content.

* In-game advertising: Wada discussed how ads could now be placed in games that aren't online-centric. While you may think Square Enix would never put real-life product placement in Final Fantasy XIII, keep in mind that Cloud Strife used a very real cell phone in Advent Children (the image above, partially, is from a magazine advertisement).

* Software updates: While Wada, who is not a native English speaker, did not use the word "patch" explicitly, he did discuss how developers can now cut back on time spent debugging and just patch a game later. Patching is a slippery slope and initial release bugs, such as the many found in Oblivion, can really destroy a gaming experience. Especially if we are already paying $60 or more for the title.

* Trial chapters: This is a feature that will actually benefit gamers. Wada mentioned a system where gamers could download the first chapter of a game and pay for later installments, a la episodic content.
I know this topic is old and discussed in another thread, but I had to laugh that the decade+ old idea of shareware (pioneered by id, Apogee, 3D Realms, Epic) is being resurrected again with the point above...though of course, this is purely by electronic distribution and not 'shared' physically like the old floppies with the first episode of a game. That downloadable demos are now the new thing in console land...all these things. How behind console gaming is compared to the PC gaming space. Decades behind. I'm all for it.

Ranger X

As long as the total i pay for all episodes is the exact same price of the retail full version there's no problem and yes it will be a convenience for the customer. Otherwise it's just a dirty trick that benefit their wallet and that's all.

* In-game advertising: Wada discussed how ads could now be placed in games that aren't online-centric. While you may think Square Enix would never put real-life product placement in Final Fantasy XIII, keep in mind that Cloud Strife used a very real cell phone in Advent Children (the image above, partially, is from a magazine advertisement).

I don't really care as long as it's at realistic places and not intrusive. Also never part of the storytelling, what the characters can say and stuff like that.

* Software updates: While Wada, who is not a native English speaker, did not use the word "patch" explicitly, he did discuss how developers can now cut back on time spent debugging and just patch a game later. Patching is a slippery slope and initial release bugs, such as the many found in Oblivion, can really destroy a gaming experience. Especially if we are already paying $60 or more for the title.

That's the thing with encouraged patch systems. This WILL inevitably lead to lazy debugging. Devs are lazy, they will always try to avoid stuff they could consider won't really affect their sales and save them money because after all, it's all about money...

Ranger X

mckmas8808 said:
Devs are not lazy. They actually do work hard.

I know they work hard lol
It's my way to say they would never do something that isn't completely necessarily, especially western devs. I know it's a business but i wish there would be more passion, vision and risk taken. When you create a game you tell yourself "what do i want to bring to gaming". In reality they tell themselve "what can i cut that won't affect my sales".

Top Bottom