• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Squid Game-Style Video Game Potentially in Development

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to one Tom Henderson, who is an often-reliable source of information when it comes to upcoming video games, a Squid Game style project is currently in the works. Henderson notes that he's not sure which studio might be working on this project, but he says it will clearly stand as an evolution of the battle royale genre. "The future of [battle royale] is coming," he said on social media.

Deerock71

japanese job GIF

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What does Squid Game-style even mean, just making a competitive mini game collection that they somehow want people to get hyped for so they attach a now popular name (and/or gore that naturally does nothing for gameplay) to it for no reason?
I haven't watched it, but isn't it about a Battle Royale?
Nope. It's like Kaiji manga/anime. Dunno why it went so popular, it's a nice watch but nothing ground breaking, deep or so expertly done or anything.

It's like fall guys as others said, but the losers are killed, either by the game itself (fall from height) or just shot after the fact if the game is harmless.

Anyway, already done, in VR too. For one of the games at least.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Gold Member
Roblox beat them to it…

Literally the day after watching it a couple of weeks ago my daughter was showing me red light / green light Roblox vids 🤷‍♂️

I’d be down for some sort of AAA squid games style game though with 456 odd players - could be a laugh (or a lag fest)!

Keihart

I kinda like the show but a game about it? nothing really interesting get out of it...
... unless it's made as an ARG.

There were several cool concepts that were kinda BR before, the popularity of the show could make it catch fire, maybe.

Orpheum

Just go log onto Roblox and play some of the Squid Game stuff there... By the time a larger production releases the hype will be long gone.

MrJTeera

I wish there’s a BR game where your task is to do all the mundane shit in videogames. I’m talking about endless tailing missions, easy quicktime minigames, forced-walking conversations etc.

You can ragequit the game at any time, and whoever last the longest is the winner.

Oh, and the game needs to run on a stable 30 fps as well. No higher than that.

Pejo

Gold Member
This has been a thing already in gaming/anime/manga as long as I can remember, but I guess this is the first mass market appealing version of it. One thing that I thought Squid Game (the show) did pretty well was the acting. The lead especially conveyed his emotions throughout the show really well until the shitty ending. The concept of last man standing or death games or whatever is nothing new at all. Funniest part is that if this is a decently funded project, it won't be out for 2-5 years anyways, long after people forget about the show.

Where's my Darwin's Game videogame?

Shakka43

I started hearing about this squid game show last week (still don't know what it even is about) and now not an hour passes by without me seeing the name some where.

A.Romero

I think it's a no brainer.

I think the Mario Party clone Pummel Party is close to that. The board concept with minigames is great. Add no revive and a more serious tone. Add games that are not necessarily skill based but also luck and wit.

It would be a great game.

Don't care about the license, though. Squid Games did a great thing for that genre by giving it mass appeal but other than that it's not the best example of it.

Kaiji was way more interesting and exhilarating, for example.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Seriously? Jesus Christ man I am so tired of TikTok and meme culture deciding how these video games are made.

A videogame based off of the other new show on Netflix called "Maid" would be MUCH more interesting.
Tik tok and meme culture? It’s a tv show unless I’m missing something here?

Squid Gane is essentially Fall guys so this isn’t really new.

Top Bottom