• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

St. Louis officer shoots black off-duty cop responding to gunfight

If a cop arrives at a scene and a guy with a gun runs around, not wearing a uniform it's actually somewhat believable that he felt threatened, right?
I mean, it's still a problem that apparently the first thing this guy then did was shoot at him, but at least, AT LEAST, the guy who was shot was actually carrying a gun.

To add to what others are saying, it's unclear how far away the shooter was from the off duty cop, how the off duty cop had his gun holstered (was it immediately visible from wherever the shooter walked up from?), etc.

But even if he was aware that the dude had a gun, unless off duty WAS brandishing it at the two officers or something I don't think shooting as soon as he saw off duty was a sensible reaction.

Zubz

Banned
Any odds we'll see repercussions because the victim was also a cop this time?

... I mean, probably not, but the amount of despicable behavior cops get away with sickens me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You'd be surprised at how different people can look outside of uniform (Cops, military, construction, etc).

That aside, shows what the real problem is, and I too am curious what Blue Lives Matter and GOP-stans gotta say for this.
He should have worn his uniform before coming to the scene, clearly. You're not blue until you wear blue!

... I mean, probably not, but the amount of despicable behavior cops get away with sickens me.
Everyone gets a paid vacation?

Rookhelm

So a guy is obviously with the other police officers and no one is treating him like a threat. You get out of your car, don't ask any questions, and immediately shoot him? What the fuck?

The car thieves must've been so confused.

It's like when a scene in GTA or Watch Dogs glitches out, and all the NPCs start shooting at each other.

Slayven

I am calling my shot, the victim will either apologize for getting shot or be fired because of "Reasons"

Chococat

You don't just shoot someone because you don't recognize them.

Just goes to show, how there is little to no training for how officers are to assess situations. If the two officer already on the scene don't seem alarmed, why would you shoot?

And racism. Really doubt the same outcome if it was a white guy walking up to the cops. Shoot and ask questions later seems to be their mission.

Jesus fucking Christ. Maybe if you're *that* in fear of your safety being a cop isn't for you?

Looking forward to the day when it's the turn of American police to have their jobs automated.

the210

Just a FYI: Black COP's are often just as prone to assuming black people are more dangerous / more criminal as their counterparts. I know my worst interactions with officers have been with black cops.

If I'm reading this right(only read what's in the OP)

Two cops had already had the situation under control and then out of nowhere another cop just up and shoots him!? What!?

This cop(black cop) is about to get hit with that reality check.

Another paid vacation for trigger happy cops. We all look alike to them, and our skin color alone is enough to be worthy of being shot with no repercussions.

If a cop arrives at a scene and a guy with a gun runs around, not wearing a uniform it's actually somewhat believable that he felt threatened, right?
I mean, it's still a problem that apparently the first thing this guy then did was shoot at him, but at least, AT LEAST, the guy who was shot was actually carrying a gun.

If he was running around, sure. But the article specifies that the Off Duty officer had already been stopped and identified by two other officers and was told to walk towards them. Unless there is a report that he ran towards them with his gun out instead of walked, this is problem.

The problem really is that Police are authorized to use deadly force on "threat." In theory, officers are trained in what constitutes a threat but the nature of chaos scenes and ever changing context necessitates that Officers have that leeway. But that leeway can be and often is abused by Officers to cover everything from poor judgement calls to intentional abuse of power. If the go to response to "threat" wasn't deadly force, I think we'd see less less incidents like beatings and shootings, as the barometer for what is excessive in any given situation would be lower. Lower threshold means even those intentionally abusing power are less likely to push their luck out of sheer self preservation and those making mistakes in judgement will have less severe results.

This doesn't solve the underlying issues in the slightest but could at least prevent more serious injuries and deaths.

I mean at this point I'm not sure there is any direct solutions that aren't a nuclear option since the problem is systemic.

Xiaoki

'Feared for my safety' is the stupidest excuse I have ever seen, and I hate how often it keeps coming up.

Excuse? Its not an excuse and they are not actually not in fear of their safety in the situation.

Its a "get out of jail free" card that works everytime, so why wouldnt you use it?

Seriously, who wouldnt want to escape any and all consequences after they mess up in unimaginable ways just by saying a simple phrase.

let's not beat around the bush

the one and only reason is: he's black

It's really fucking sad that this is becoming the new normal.

Its not becoming the new normal this has been the normal reality for black people since the United Sates was founded. Whats actually happening now is literally progress compared to what has generally happened throughout the history of the US.

Gattsu25

Banned
Its not becoming the new normal this has been the normal reality for black people since the United Sates was founded. Whats actually happening now is literally progress compared to what has generally happened throughout the history of the US.

What's happening now is that local news can very quickly get national attention (this case) + individual accounts can actually be documented on the scene - both thanks to social media.

Nekofrog

Banned
"you just shoot one of our own!"

"Yeah but he's black"

"Oh right fuck him, demotion for him promotion and vacation for you"

PopeReal

I am at a brewery having my lunch. I don't recognize anyone but the staff.

Can I start shooting or should I not panic? I mean some of them look suspicious.

Why are so many cops who act like cavemen enlisted in America's police force?

Are these people capable of solving a situation without a firearm or a beating?

Johndoey

Banned
"Feared for his safety" is starting to lose meaning. The mere existence of black people shouldn't instill fear, and if it does, you have no business being a cop. There's gotta be some kind of testing they can do for this.

Starting to? It's always been short-hand for "Black people were nearby and they frighten me".

Top Bottom