• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

St. Louis officer shoots black off-duty cop responding to gunfight

I wonder how many cop on Black cop shootings there are in the country. This is the third one I've ever heard of.

Lol Black cops just ignore casual Fridays from now on.

wildfire

Banned
This happened to Officer Pryzsboluski in Baltimore, so I understand.

LOL?

At least Pryzsboluski was all by himself when this happened. But atleast we all know Pryzsboluski is more or less a fuckup when he isn't doing the one thing he's actually good at. Fiction gets trumped by real life.

blakep267

Why even become a cop if you fear for your safety? So fucking stupid. What the fuck you think might happen if you become a cop.
OR you know, some cops just want to shoot black people and the acceptable excuse informed by juries is " I feared for my safety". It's like a blank check to do whatever to black people and not be convicted. That along with marijuana is like exodia for black folks. No beating it

'Feared for my safety' is the stupidest excuse I have ever seen, and I hate how often it keeps coming up.

He feared for his life... from his actual backup.

Surreal.

Ahh, the go to 'feared for my safety'.
I believe its common knowledge that, as a cop, fearing for one's life is legal authorization to discharge a firearm and/or use lethal force.

The theory being that, if someone like a Police Officer is fearful of their safety, shit has really hit the fan. The only problem is, all these unnecessary shootings are mostly against blacks, which seems race-related, and with little to zero Imminent Danger involved, which makes them look like fucking cowards. The phrase is being over-used and distorted to justify any bad shoot, especially against minorities.

I agree with what another poster said earlier, and have been thinking about it myself for a short time: Fire Fighters are true, unsung heroes. The suspects they fight can't be put down with a flurry of gun shots.
Theres just too much to process in that story. Almost saved a guy's life, nearly got to have a conversation with him.

Whatever happened to negotiators? Why are cops allowed to be executioners?

norm9

fark_pEFS6WJhw3uhHtCEvMkn5auA5ZM.jpg

LOL?

At least Pryzsboluski was all by himself when this happened. But atleast we all know Pryzsboluski is more or less a fuckup when he isn't doing the one thing he's actually good at. Fiction gets trumped by real life.
No wai dawg, it was on TV so it's real and I was totally serious.

Nepenthe

We are about one step away from "what about black on black crime!?!". Let me get some popcorn.

I wonder when people say or imply this if they ever realize that the reasons for the shooting and the differences in conviction rates between tried black people and tried officers are the actual problem.

The Kree

Banned
An off-duty St. Louis cop was accidentally shot by a colleague as a gun battle raged nearby between police and a band of suspected car thieves.

According to Fox 2 Now, the officer who fired at his colleague told investigators he feared for his safety and didn't recognize the man as one of their own.

It can't be both an accident and deliberate. Pick one.

MUnited83

For you.
So wait two officers had already stopped him and indentified him, but then comes a third one that is a piece of shit and starts firing despite the fact the other two had already stopped the dude? WTF

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So a good guy with a gun comes upon 3 other good guys with guns, and starts shooting at one of them? Because he feared for his safety amidst all these good guys with guns?

NRA, what's happening here?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I want to laugh at the incompetence of the police force in recognizing actual threats .. but at this point I'm just glad the shot was to the arm.

I'm glad the officer who got shot is OK.

Dynomutt

Wait till "Negrophobia" becomes a condition. This is ridiculous. Man got shot doing what he was suppose to do. Two officers already identified him and a third trigger happy idiot proceeded to shoot him. Smh.

JavyOO7

Was the off duty officer in the middle of transforming to a Super Saiyan? I don't get why shoot him when your fellow colleagues already determined he was one of them...

Cops ran on the scene and usually when they run on the scene, they've already decided they're going to shoot somebody

so the cop runs on the scene, see's a black guy and shoots. No harm(for the shooter), no foul. No consequences, because cops don't have consequences and they know all they have to say is "I feared for my life"

It's a game to these fucks

blakep267

I think we( we as in people onlooking) need to stop using scared and start saying they are racist/bigoted pieces of garbage who have preconceptions about black people that directly influence their actions.

Saying they are scared gives them a way out. Scared makes it sound like they have a logical reason to feel that way. I can be scared of sharks. Because they can logically eat me. Black people aren't sharks

I just cannot understand how so many people in America become cops who have such poor judgement, have poor nerves and with the ability to ignore all basic training except shoot

I mean seriously shooting their own back up because he's black! christ what next? are we going to get a story of a cop going into their changing rooms, seeing a black man (an out of uniform cop) and opening fire thinking its someone who got into the back who they didn't recognise?

'I was scared' is a standard that unilaterally punishes black people due to systemic racism in the police force. It is a standard that protects prejudiced people (whether they are conscious of it or not) and tells the people that it is legal for a cop to shoot a black person, because they are scared of black people.

It needs to change.

If you cannot keep your fear in check and you shoot innocent people, you are not fit to serve and protect the public. That is the message we should be sending.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
To add to what others are saying, it's unclear how far away the shooter was from the off duty cop, how the off duty cop had his gun holstered (was it immediately visible from wherever the shooter walked up from?), etc.

But even if he was aware that the dude had a gun, unless off duty WAS brandishing it at the two officers or something I don't think shooting as soon as he saw off duty was a sensible reaction.

True, I didn't even mean to imply that he was running around or doing anything that would make him look suspicious or "threatening". It was a poor choice of words on my part.

Reeks

We need to screen out these fearful simps who are constantly in fear of their lives.

We need more police officers like this and we need to make sure that they keep their jobs instead of getting fired for having a backbone: http://www.npr.org/2016/12/08/50471...e-slower-to-shoot-but-that-got-this-vet-fired

Those two cops should have been fired for putting the other cops in danger... allowing a black man to stand and approach (cop or not)...

Fuck all of this shit

Two Words

Dealing with people with guns is scary. I'm sure I'd freak out a bit if I walked into a situation where people were armed. If you can't keep your cool around guns, DONT BECOME A COP.

It's okay, people. Cops can shoot and kill whomever they want, just so long as they don't shoot and kill more people than non-cops.

So, your point is that because police aren't doing ALL of the murdering, there isn't a problem?

So, your point is that because police aren't doing ALL of the murdering, there isn't a problem?

What, no follow up post? Where you at?

Actually if you looked at the article and the police shootings they seem justified. Actually one of the shootings by a police officer was at a gas station that was being robbed. The cop was off duty at the time. This is a conceal and carry state. If someone is threatening your life means are necessary. The media just puts STL under a radar because of Michael Brown. Yes there are cooked cops, but that is a minimal percentage. I can tell no one examined this map.

Actually if you looked at the article and the police shootings they seem justified. Actually one of the shootings by a police officer was at a gas station that was being robbed. The cop was off duty at the time. This is a conceal and carry state. If someone is threatening your life means are necessary. The media just puts STL under a radar because of Michael Brown. Yes there are cooked cops, but that is a minimal percentage. I can tell no one examined this map.

Right, so you just came in here to do your own version of "what about Black crime" and "not all cops"....
How about you comment on the actual topic of the thread and how the facts of this story have nothing to do with the narrative you came in here to push.

Top Bottom