• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia's future likely cancelled as I leave fan insider adopter program.

Update:
So I am bumping this for an update (and for those who forgot this was a thing and keep bringing it up)

Seems that once you leave program you can never go back in, in fact Google changed everything and the rumors of the updated NDA's seem to be true as almost nothing is coming out and everything is dark on what Google is doing in the background. You can't even 'take a breaK' for an unspecified period of time, if they consider it long enough you are out, so you have to really stick with it.

I believe I talked about the NDA in the part 1 of leaving thread here: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i-wi...rth-the-wait-and-you-shouldnt-buy-it.1521990/

I will also post this in the OP of this thread.

So basically Google has no interest in giving any info to anyone including some of their insiders (as mentioned in linked thread above and this one iirc) we have no idea about their upcoming models or even if they are still coming, have no idea what's cancelled, and have very little of what games are in the pipeline, if they are and aren't cancelled.

Also if you are a Stadia owner (I haven't in almost a year) just know you'll be waiting and outside last second announcements you will have no idea what's coming and insides can't give you hints, however many are left, and don't expect leaks due to policy.

You'll just have to hope something comes along and is announced, I'd recommend a different streaming device.

Original post below-

Previously, I had made a thread about Google's lack of transparency. I went over how they made false promises, have changed release schedules indefinitely, and noted that they no longer share updates.

As I cut myself off from Stadia more changes have been made, release schedules are now fully in house, scheduled system updates are now completely hidden from anyone outside of Google, several games that were promised are now no longer releasing on Stadia, Staff changes, not returning emails, and pages on the main website no longer existing. These changes are troublesome, and consumers are getting really pissed off that they spend their hard-earned money on something that may not even last 5 months.

But the biggest change that caught my attention was that the mainstream version of Stadia, sometimes nicknamed Stadia Basic, has had it's release date changed from 2020 to TBD. I don't know what's actually happening inside of Google nor do I really care anymore, but to me this feels like they are going to discontinue Stadia really soon. What bothers me is Google has the money, they have the infrastructure, they have the engineers, so what happened? Did they think they could put the least amount of effort possible and still gain a large audience? If I can be truthful, Google has already burned it's bridge with gamers. Even if they come back with a new product no one in the industry is going to trust them. They had one shot and not only did they blow it, but they treated their fans and insiders with disrespect.

The worst thing about this is the platform is worthless, I cant really sell it because once Stadia is discontinued what can I even do with it? Consumers who spend hundreds on games and DLC will lose everything as soon as Google cuts the cord. No refunds, no compensation.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Neo Member
This is what happens when you launch a platform unpolished and with a ton of caveats from day 1. Pretty much no one I knew was excited for this platform, especially with XCloud coming up.
If the phone/device streaming was there from day 1 I think a lot more people would be on board.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I have mentioned in several posts that I have no issues with Stadia personally. It has always* preformed well for me and it isn't my main source of playing or buying games....but that is off topic.

I don't know what you mean by this part of your OT: "The worst thing about this is the platform is worthless, I cant really sell it because once Stadia is discontinued what can I even do with it? "

Do you mean your games or do you mean the controller? The Chromecast Ultra that came with the pro bundle is a Chromecast device that is by no means useless for content delivery (IE it will still work if Stadia shuts down). I can also use the controller on my pc and mobile device as a controller (it isn't a great one by any means....but it isn't tied to Stadia to function as a HID*).

*edited for clarity

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
business-commerce-invest-investor-investing-stocks-stocks_and_shares-aban225_low.jpg

The worst thing about this is the platform is worthless, I cant really sell it because once Stadia is discontinued what can I even do with it? Consumers who spend hundreds on games and DLC will lose everything as soon as Google cuts the cord. No refunds, no compensation.
You can display the controller in your living room as a memento to the future of gaming that we never had.

Quezacolt

"But streaming is the future, is the best thing to ever happen to gaming"
We all mentioned this before, game streaming is the most anti-consumer shit to happen to gaming.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The fact that so many things have gone MIA leads me to believe they are putting it back in the oven for some time and hopefully tweaking the business plan. Charging people $10 a month to stream games in a higher fidelity on top of paying full price for games was never going to work.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ah so it's a troll pretending to be some paid Stadia insider?
His posts have always teetered on the edge of trollish, so it's mostly likely just his gimmick. The fact that he's supposedly just now coming to this realization
The worst thing about this is the platform is worthless, I cant really sell it because once Stadia is discontinued what can I even do with it? Consumers who spend hundreds on games and DLC will lose everything as soon as Google cuts the cord. No refunds, no compensation
despite practically everyone in his previous Stadia Defense Threads mentioning it screams blatant flame bait.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
His posts have always teetered on the edge of trollish, so it's mostly likely just his gimmick. The fact that he's supposedly just now coming to this realization

despite practically everyone in his previous Stadia Defense Threads mentioning it screams blatant flame bait.
Yeah I'm with you.. too over the top, and the "insider program" kinda seals the deal.

CeeJay

Off subject, but does it bother anyone else that V Voost Kain will only post to create brand new threads, but never respond in the threads he creates or post in other threads?
Yeah, that's why I always thought he was a paid vital marketer. He starts a thread with a sensational title and a long well written op full of bait that gets people talking which makes sure it stays on the first page for a while with minimal input thereafter to avoid having to justify his position. He definatly had some kind of game plan with his threads.

I can't find the threads on it but Google made a big thing about Grid having 40 cars on track, which sounds impressive, only I've just watched a stream of Assetto Corsa Competizione which had 80 cars on the server. Google probably shouldve done their homework before boasting about 'exclusive' features that couldn't be possible on other platforms.

Bryank75

Banned
Mmm but in fairness, I don't trust any corporation with streaming... it's too easy to take advantage of and you can be left with nothing. Even Game Pass is in the same boat as far as I am concerned.

I believe the traditional model is the most healthy one, a few tweeks may be necessary along the way but nothing major.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
When I "google" Stadia (because I have no fucking idea how to find it otherwise) they are still trying to sell it with Destiny 2. A game from fucking 2017. The site also tells me I don't have to waste money on expensive consoles, but wants me to pay closer to $140 for it anyway. I'm supposed to pay $140 for being eligible to pay for a subscription that will let me play the games I buy for $60?

3nhilt.jpg

Flintty

It was always on the cards. If the tech can work then streaming can augment gaming as an optional extra (e.g. X-Cloud) but building a platform around it is foolish, and being a consumer buying into it even more so. Like you said, in the event of a shut down there’s no resale and no refunds. Pure shit.

If I can load up a game from my digital library on my tablet or whatever for a quick 15 minutes of gaming however, then yeah that’s superb.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's Google. It was clear from the get-go that they were planning to run this service like they run any service, and that's no way to launch or operate an online video game service. The company as it stands is just not compatible with the gaming industry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Stadia is just another way for them to Trojan horse another spying apparatus into your home and people keep falling for it. They don’t care about games.

You’ve got a spy in your pocket, a spy on your wrist, a spy on your kitchen bench, a spy on your PC and now a spy in your loungeroom.

The next step will be a spy in the toilet/bathroom because why not? Google Shower Buddy. Google Poo Pal.

Watch this space.

The Snake

You could say this about any subscription service, right? Complete waste of hard-earned money.

Pejo

Maybe this was just an elaborate ruse by Kojima to prevent gaming as a hobby from ever moving to a streaming-only option.

Top Bottom