• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I will concede that Stadia is not worth the wait and you shouldn't buy it.

As someone who they have called 'a member of the team', receiving updates and invites for being an early Stadia adopter, and in some ways a tester, the last week has been nothing more than disgusting. Many features we were promised have been cancelled outright, and it seems Google has decided to trash their old roadmap. The last straw for me was broken within the last few days, when I played several of the upcoming 120 games, 10 being exclusives, and realized some of the previews we were shown months ago were not only BS but some of the titles shown previously don't even seem to be in development anymore and weren't even mentioned. The few playable game trials I got to play won't even come out until the end of this year or don't even have release dates. The average consumer who brought Stadia waiting for something good, I hate to tell you this but no change is coming in the near future. You may as well call most of the 120 games shovelware as I highly doubt many of them will be any more playable when the full versions release. You'll understand for yourself once we get closer to their release dates.

I was led to believe that things would turn around this year based on everything that was promised last year, turns out I was VERY mistaken as Google has decided to scrap or indefinitely delay nearly every game or feature promised from before. It doesn't help that they have not improved the infrastructure by any capacity, and the promised updates to improve streaming and input lag are now delayed indefinitely as the schedule for updates is unknown to anyone outside Google. I guess that means they will update things whenever they feel like it, if they ever update anything at all.

For those of you who are interested in buying Stadia, I cannot recommend it. After the first few hours of novelty you will realize that support is and will continue to be abysmal, and you won't be receiving a steady stream of quality releases. Several fixes that were said to come have been delayed indefinitely, and the few that will release won't come into play until the end of the year. Google won't give any dates so if you buy Stadia you'll be going in blind with no hint as to what will change going forward.

If you REALLY want streaming there are better options, PSNOW is getting better and XCLOUD will have a public release soon.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
zvGW1co.jpg

I had to double check the poster's name. Good for you bro!

I think it's a warning that no matter a company's capital and size, getting into a new industry as not as simple as waving a wand of money.

Google of all companies has the infrastructure, the technology, the people, the money and the servers to make Stadia successful. You can tell that from a lot of things they showed and presented. The logo is very cool, the name is also cool, the marketing was sharp and well designed in terms of color scheme, etc. But in the end, all of that fades if you don't back it up and I believe Google is quickly realizing (again, as they've done this dance in multiple other industries) that sometimes being the smartest, richest guy in the room doesn't guarantee success.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The only way I would ever consider it if there was a Neflix/Gamepass style subscription service that gives you access to a selection of titles. Having to buy games individually and at full retail price most of the time sucks practically any interest I would have out of the product.

I already have a hard time stomaching digital software as it is, but now they're adding on another layer of "Once the service is done, too bad."

Stuart360

Voost you're a stand up guy. You defended the product with passion, and now you have seen the light and admitted it and held your hands up. I'm sure we all applaud you for that.
Most people could see Stadia was a 'dead man walking', but you stood by it and you get major props from me for that.

AGRacing

Years ago my wife and I watched “Dawn of Planet of the Apes”. There was a moment where the humans betraying the “Caesar” ape (who was a beautiful character) broke his spirit and turned him against humanity. I looked at my wife and she was crying. I asked “You ok?” and she sobbed “They ruined him.”

Google you should be ashamed at what you did to this man’s spirit. He was your Caesar. You couldn’t have asked for a more beautiful customer and you ruined him. You're a garbage company.

Voost that took guts. Good on you, man.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I gotta say V Voost Kain , I have nothign against Stadia. It wasnt for me from day 1 and thats fine, maybe its for someone else. I appreciated that you seemed to argue a similar point fairly, that it is for a certain subset of gamer.

Anyways, cool that you have been honest and changed your opinion, and if you change your opinion that means its looking REALLY bad for Stadia.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nice back vertebrae you have there OP

damn thing is not even out yet

Last edited:

Stuart360

I gotta say V Voost Kain , I have nothign against Stadia. It wasnt for me from day 1 and thats fine, maybe its for someone else. I appreciated that you seemed to argue a similar point fairly, that it is for a certain subset of gamer.

Anyways, cool that you have been honest and changed your opinion, and if you change your opinion that means its looking REALLY bad for Stadia.
Yeah if everything Voost says is true, it looks like Google will be dropping Stadia quicker than even i thought they would.
They should of done the subscription service, it still would of died imo, but they could of got a couple of years out of it i bet.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Fair enough. Takes a lot to admit you have changed your mind. In theory it’s a great idea. Just practically at the moment it is not feasible. I hate the fact of not owning something outright and will resist this practice aggressively.

kyoji

As someone who they have called 'a member of the team', receiving updates and invites for being an early Stadia adopter, and in some ways a tester, the last week has been nothing more than disgusting. Many features we were promised have been cancelled outright, and it seems Google has decided to trash their old roadmap. The last straw for me was broken within the last few days, when I played several of the upcoming 120 games, 10 being exclusives, and realized some of the previews we were shown months ago were not only BS but some of the titles shown previously don't even seem to be in development anymore and weren't even mentioned. The few playable game trials I got to play won't even come out until the end of this year or don't even have release dates. The average consumer who brought Stadia waiting for something good, I hate to tell you this but no change is coming in the near future. You may as well call most of the 120 games shovelware as I highly doubt many of them will be any more playable when the full versions release. You'll understand for yourself once we get closer to their release dates.

I was led to believe that things would turn around this year based on everything that was promised last year, turns out I was VERY mistaken as Google has decided to scrap or indefinitely delay nearly every game or feature promised from before. It doesn't help that they have not improved the infrastructure by any capacity, and the promised updates to improve streaming and input lag are now delayed indefinitely as the schedule for updates is unknown to anyone outside Google. I guess that means they will update things whenever they feel like it, if they ever update anything at all.

For those of you who are interested in buying Stadia, I cannot recommend it. After the first few hours of novelty you will realize that support is and will continue to be abysmal, and you won't be receiving a steady stream of quality releases. Several fixes that were said to come have been delayed indefinitely, and the few that will release won't come into play until the end of the year. Google won't give any dates so if you buy Stadia you'll be going in blind with no hint as to what will change going forward.

If you REALLY want streaming there are better options, PSNOW is getting better and XCLOUD will have a public release soon.
This is all nice and dandy but you get no sympathy from me, you were on here astro turfing harder than a bitch but swore you were not. You arent telling us anything that most of us already knew about stadia being D.O.A. so to me it just sounds like your agreement or whatever incentives you received from google has ended. sorry not sorry.

FeldMonster

I think it's a warning that no matter a company's capital and size, getting into a new industry as not as simple as waving a wand of money.

Google of all companies has the infrastructure, the technology, the people, the money and the servers to make Stadia successful. You can tell that from a lot of things they showed and presented. The logo is very cool, the name is also cool, the marketing was sharp and well designed in terms of color scheme, etc. But in the end, all of that fades if you don't back it up and I believe Google is quickly realizing (again, as they've done this dance in multiple other industries) that sometimes being the smartest, richest guy in the room doesn't guarantee success.

I think that Google put the cart before the horse so to speak. They already have the servers and technology and simply tried to apply it to gaming. However, with entrenched competitors, they have little differentiation in the area that matters for gamers, i.e. games. If they really wanted to compete, they should simply buy big publisher such as EA, Activision, or Ubisoft and make their games Stadia exclusives.

Top Bottom