• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STALKER: Clear Sky - review thread

Scipius said:
Red Forest is where the fun starts again; make sure to play it at night :D . The best parts of CS were the new areas: Swamps, Red Forest and Limansk (though it was a shame Limansk was
past the point of no return
).

You might as well play CoP in vanilla; in terms of interface it is more or less like the Complete mods and it has other improvements as well. It was also far more stable and less buggy than the others were at release. Unless you really rely on features the Complete mod has (teleporting, etc.), you're only going to wait for improved textures (which had improved anyway).
Honestly? I never knew you could teleport. :lol Surely that takes away the whole point of the game?

I may try it in vanilla then, if it doesn't suffer from all of the horrible issues that I've been assured the Complete mod fixes for the first two. :)

Scipius

Foliorum Viridum said:
Honestly? I never knew you could teleport. :lol Surely that takes away the whole point of the game?

It does, but some people do appreciate it. The CS mod adds even more things you can manipulate.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I may try it in vanilla then, if it doesn't suffer from all of the horrible issues that I've been assured the Complete mod fixes for the first two. :)

The Complete mods, while excellent, are not perfect either (e.g. the new HUD doesn't really fit the game), nor are the original games entirely unplayable as some seem to suggest. Vanilla STALKER, even SoC, is still a beautiful game.

I'm also of the opinion GSC should take a note from Valve's book and not hurry any new STALKER game. Maybe make a new Cossacks game, or start a third FPS IP if they still fancy the genre, but keep STALKER on the backburner until sufficient new ideas have been cooked up. That might also have the benefit that the next STALKER, rather than being just a shinier FPS sequel, can look more like a sequel to Tarkovsky's Stalker.

So I finished it today and have never loved the quicksave feature more. :lol The last two chapters were ridiculously hard, even on Novice.

To be honest, it felt more like Call of STALKER than anything else by the end. Fighting wave after wave of army troops and shooting down helicopters really isn't what I want from this franchise. Even the Red Forest, which was full of atmosphere, resulted in nothing more than a huge firefight at the end with goons. I don't know what they were going for, perhaps a more mainstream market, but it didn't work for me.

I can't feel cheated after £7, but I'm a lot less enthusiastic about moving on to CoP now.

Top Bottom