• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STALKER: Clear Sky - review thread

kitch9

Banned
chespace said:
Jesus christ, your system with a GTX 260 couldn't handle this game maxed out? :p

It better look pretty damn amazing. sigh.

I've got a q6600 @ 3.3ghz, 4GB Ram and a 4870x2 and it makes that sweat too.....

A little tip, if you want maximum settings use the default maximum and don't adjust the sliders any further to the right after selecting it.

It runs ok at default maximum settings but like ass if I adjust the sliders further.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
kitch9 said:
I've got a q6600 @ 3.3ghz, 4GB Ram and a 4870x2 and it makes that sweat too.....

A little tip, if you want maximum settings use the default maximum and don't adjust the sliders any further to the right after selecting it.

It runs ok at default maximum settings but like ass if I adjust the sliders further.

Qualify making it "sweat" :lol

What sorts of framerates do you get with a 4870x2? and at what res?

Sounds completely unoptimized to me.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Just upgraded my PC for this and Crysis. Blew through Warhead, and I'll be installing Stalker after Silent Hill gets played through. Saving the best for last :D

Chiggs

Gold Member
chespace said:

Stalker and Clear Sky don't recognize dual or quad core processors. :(

tmaynard

chespace said:

Crysis runs better than Clear Sky on my machine. Clear Sky has some really beautiful stuff in it, but not enough to warrant that big of a performance kick. :-/

Chiggs

Gold Member
tmaynard said:
Crysis runs better than Clear Sky on my machine. Clear Sky has some really beautiful stuff in it, but not enough to warrant that big of a performance kick. :-/

Clear Sky runs way better than Crysis on my rig, but I have to agree with your sentiment. Unfortunately, Clear Sky is single-threaded. We could be getting muuuuch better framerates.

Somnia

tmaynard said:

Same here....I run crysis and warhead and maximum settings and get very very good performance..oh well this game is still awesome :D

tmaynard

Chiggs said:
Clear Sky runs way better than Crysis on my rig, but I have to agree with your sentiment. Unfortunately, Clear Sky is single-threaded. We could be getting muuuuch better framerates.

Yeah, I really wish we could get some dual and quad core support. It would do wonders with it. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

tmaynard

Somnia said:
Same here....I run crysis and warhead and maximum settings and get very very good performance..oh well this game is still awesome :D

Oh yes, very awesome. Despite it's problems, it's an extremely fun game. I just wish they could pinpoint all these crashes. I haven't been able to play the game for a week :(

Somnia

kitch9 said:

Did this and it makes a huge difference thanks man!

I NEED HELP!!

first mission:lol , in the swamps, i die all the time because of

1. spawning anomalies next to me or
2. because of raidation in the middle of the swamp

i tried the bolts, health kits, radiation shots, nothing helped. what am i doing wrong???

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Patch 1.5.05 was just released today: http://stalker.deepsilver.com/patches.php?lang=eng

Saved games
1.5.04 saved games will be compatible with patch 1.5.05.

Game changes
- Fixed an error which prevented the guide from leading the player to the Cordon. This was caused by the fact that the autosave function failed to save all data, and once such a saved game was loaded, the game became impossible to complete. If this error occurred, it was necessary to restart the game from the beginning.
- Fixed a bug with secondary objectives (Deliver item), which caused the arrow to point to the wrong NPC after a save/load.
- Changed the reward for lowering the bridge in the Red Forest.
- Changed the reward for killing bandits at the Freedom base filling station.
- Fixed the Freedom technician’s dialogue. After accepting a secondary objective, it became impossible to undertake/complete objectives to find flash drives.
- Fixed an error, which caused the situation to be displayed incorrectly in the PDA Faction War section.
- Fixed an error, which caused the number of grenades for the grenade launcher attachment to be saved incorrectly following modifications.
- Fixed an error, which caused FPS to fall when the cursor was moved over headings on the PDA map.
- Fixed an error, which sometimes caused the game to crash to desktop when the game was saved during an NPC death animation sequence.
- Fixed an error, which caused carried weight to be calculated incorrectly when a suit was upgraded or artifacts attached.
- Fixed an error, which sometimes caused faction strength to be displayed incorrectly in the PDA statistics.
- Fixed an error, which caused the game to crash following the loading of a saved game due to incorrect saving of monster animations and armed NPC grenades.
- Fixed an error, which sometimes caused ammo to be displayed incorrectly after searching bodies.
- Fixed an error, which sometimes caused individual NPCs to be enemies, while the rest of their faction was neutral or friendly.
- Fixed several minor HUD, inventory, PDA and main menu errors.
- Minor rebalancing of trade and items that pop out of dead bodies.
- Fixed a problem, which allowed the player to leave the Zone in the water part of the game (first visit to the Swamps).
- Changed the process for rewards given for joining factions.
- Changed rewards for destroying faction bases.
- Fixed game crashes during conversations with enemy technicians.
- Added ability to upgrade GP 37 with the help of Freedom and Bandit technicians.

Multiplayer
- Added ability to ban and kick players from the game using their GUID (serial number), in addition to name and IP.
- Fixed several errors in multiplayer chat, including the fact that the following letters could not be entered in some circumstances: A, Z, X, C, V.
- Fixed a large number of various errors which caused client and server crashes in the multiplayer.
- Added IP filter (for games in certain subnets).

Fixed the following script crashes:
- smart_terrain.script:227: attempt to index local 'obj' (a nil value)
- smart_terrain.script:1003: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
- sim_combat.script:950: attempt to index a nil value
- sim_board.script:688: attempt to index local 'obj' (a nil value)
- smart_terrain.script:288: attempt to call method 'clear_smart_terrain' (a nil value)
- bind_monster.script:72: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
- xr_effects.script:1607: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value)
- ! [LUA][ERROR] ERROR: There is no task with entity_id(_g.script:973: bad argument 2 to 'format' (string expected, got nil))
- ! [LUA][ERROR] ERROR: error. val_smart_terrain_5_0_freedom_antenna(_g.script:97 3: bad argument 2 to 'format' (string expected, got nil))
- fixed crash (task_objects.script:2231: attempt to call global 'blowout_hit_with_pp_and_cam_effectors' (a nil value))
- fixed crash (ERROR: Invalid AI map at kamp point [mar_smart_terrain_6_8_kamp_1](_g.script:973: bad argument 2 to 'format' (string expected, got nil)))
- fixed crash (sim_combat.script:429: attempt to index local 'comander' (a nil value))
- fixed crash (task_objects.script:580: attempt to concatenate field 'id' (a nil value))

tmaynard

Roude Leiw said:
I NEED HELP!!

first mission:lol , in the swamps, i die all the time because of

1. spawning anomalies next to me or
2. because of raidation in the middle of the swamp

i tried the bolts, health kits, radiation shots, nothing helped. what am i doing wrong???

Well, first off, have you played the original? I remember when I first started playing it I just couldn't "get it". You may be suffering from that even worse, because you haven't played the first.

As far as Anomalies, you can generally see them. Look for clear distortion, electricity, or leaves that kinda "funnel" up. Those are all things that will hurt you if you run into them.

Keep listening to your Geiger meter which will beep faster and faster the closer you get to any harmful radiation. It it starts beeping fast, go the other direction! Also, if you happen to stay in the radiation areas long enough to cause continuous damage be sure to use anti-radiation drugs or wine!

Also, I think when you're in the swamps, it's better to stay out of the water because I think the radiation is higher in there. Haven't really tested it enough to say. But, it makes you slow as hell so stay out of the water anyway! haha

I hope that helps.

yeah i played the original, but the anomalies and the radiation in the swamp seems to be everywhere.

ill try it again tomorrow, thanks!!

tmaynard

Roude Leiw said:
yeah i played the original, but the anomalies and the radiation in the swamp seems to be everywhere.

ill try it again tomorrow, thanks!!

Yeah, keep trucking man. It's well worth it. Amazing game.

I'm hoping that this patch fixes my crashes, so that I can play again.

tmaynard

Just made it to Chernobyl.

Truant said:
Same here. By far the best thing I have played this year.

Yep. Easily my favorite FPS series. It may have problems, but what it does right makes it one of the most engrossing games ever.

If you'll excuse me, I've got to get back to writing STALKER fanfics about Scar and Strelok's passionate love triangle with Forester. :lol

Nikorasu

Got my copy way late because stores around here only got about 3, sold them before the release date without telling anyone and decided not to stock any more. Ordered on ebay and delivery look like 3 weeks. Grr.

I was REALLY enjoying this game. It had everything the original did and more. But...once I got to Limansk and powered my way through I realized I couldn't go back (again! why do they do this?!), and all of that meat that they added - faction wars, upgradable weapons, etc - all seemed totally irrelevant. There seem to be very few quests, you lose all your money frequently, there is no central trading hub like Bar so once you're really far into it that's a lot of backtracking to sell your stuff. Why would they even cut all of those areas? It makes no sense to me.

I am going to play through again and take more time exploring and doing faction wars because I love this series so damn much, but in the end it felt like a LOT of wasted potential, much more so than the first.

Anyway, I was looking to play some MP but..what the hell? Does ANYONE play this game? I get about a dozen Russian servers that I get pings over 200 and...that's it.

EDIT: Also, the removal of iron sights on pistols makes them almost entirely useless for people who like playing without crosshairs.

zon

I was disappointed with it, they talked about how they learned from their mistakes and now they could finally make the game they wanted bla bla bla... and it was still the same buggy mess as the first game. And if you want to update you're forced to re-do everything again. :(

dLMN8R

Wow, this game seems more frustrating the more I play. I could forgive things like graphical glitches, occasional sidequests that bugged out, but I mean:

• Blow-outs seemed bugged to hell. They don't happen randomly. Rather, they seem to happen every time I enter a new area.
  • Faction war - what's the fucking point? I spent hours and hours joined up with Duty trying to take out Freedom, we slowly make it all the way to taking out the Freedom base, and....nothing happens. I don't get more trading posts or guide locations like I thought I might. Oh, but when I leave the area, Freedom re-populates the area. Fantastic.
  • I got a suit that for some reason doesn't let me upgrade to nightvision, so I can't see shit at night.
  • Nights are far too long - why does it seem like it's pitch black 75% of the time and light outside 25%?

I thought the faction war could provide an interesting dynamic, but it's just so useless. Time to progress with the main storyline instead, I guess.

dLMN8R said:
Wow, this game seems more frustrating the more I play. I could forgive things like graphical glitches, occasional sidequests that bugged out, but I mean:

• Blow-outs seemed bugged to hell. They don't happen randomly. Rather, they seem to happen every time I enter a new area.
  • Faction war - what's the fucking point? I spent hours and hours joined up with Duty trying to take out Freedom, we slowly make it all the way to taking out the Freedom base, and....nothing happens. I don't get more trading posts or guide locations like I thought I might. Oh, but when I leave the area, Freedom re-populates the area. Fantastic.
  • I got a suit that for some reason doesn't let me upgrade to nightvision, so I can't see shit at night.
  • Nights are far too long - why does it seem like it's pitch black 75% of the time and light outside 25%?

I thought the faction war could provide an interesting dynamic, but it's just so useless. Time to progress with the main storyline instead, I guess.

Sounds kinda more or less like the first STALKER...at least in regards to the world. There's the initial wow factor of feeling like your apart of a living, moving world, but it quickly becomes evident that the majority of it is cheap window dressing parrel to the main story...this includes the side quests which I always found complete waist of time

....I feel bad though as I've never even finished the first STALKER ...been listening to the recent 1upFM backlog and it's making want to go back and complete it ....but yeah, I also find it played out

dLMN8R

Thing is, the original STALKER is one of my favorite games of 2007. I have at least 50 hours into it.

My problem is that the faction system is completely uselessly tacked on to the game, providing absolutely no benefit whatsoever for taking part in faction wars. Yes, you get some benefits like cheaper items and upgrades at the faction's home base, but there is no reason to proceed further after that.

Zyzyxxz

AgentOtaku said:
Sounds kinda more or less like the first STALKER...at least in regards to the world. There's the initial wow factor of feeling like your apart of a living, moving world, but it quickly becomes evident that the majority of it is cheap window dressing parrel to the main story...this includes the side quests which I always found complete waist of time

....I feel bad though as I've never even finished the first STALKER ...been listening to the recent 1upFM backlog and it's making want to go back and complete it ....but yeah, I also find it played out

IMO the original Stalker seemed more of a cohesive game, story-wise.

I do love the new gameplay elements of Clear Skies but overall it falls flat on its feet in terms of improvements.

First of all the economy is still messed up like in the first game, there are improvements but overall it is fustrating that making money is more difficult in than the first game but this game gives us more things to buy at trading posts!

If they make a new game I hope it is a truly open-ended zone like what Farcry 2 is trying to do and hopefully dynamic trading post locations.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Seems a new patch, and ATi hotfix have been released:

v1.5.06
Saved games:
1.5.04 and 1.5.05 saved games will be compatible with patch 1.5.06.

Game changes:
- Fixed an error when the wounded guide didn't want to lead the player anywhere.
- Increased the number of items for sell for the trader at the goods market.
- Added the possibility to upgrade SVDm 2 at Freedom's mechanic.
- Fixed game crash upon the attempt to speak with the wounded character.
- Fixed an error, which led to the blocking of the storyline quest completion at Yantar (the door to Sakharov's bunker couldn't be opened).
- Increased the amount of money of the bandits' trader
- Fixed the displacement of the military warehouses on the PDA map.
- Added the possibility to load the last saved game by pressing space bar after the player's death.

Render improvements:
- Added DX10.1 support.
- Added MSAA for alpha-tested objects ("alpha-to-coverage" for DX10.0, custom "alpha-to-coverage" for DX10.1 for better performance, native DX10.1 implementation for better quality).
- Added new quality level for sun-shadows (ultra) for better picture quality.
- Added new min/max shadowmap technique (which takes advantage of DX10.1 when available) allows to speed up high quality sunshafts rendering for top video boards and high resolutions.
- Added high quality sunshafts acceleration for DX9 renderer.

Multiplayer:
- Fixed various game crashes of server and client sections.
- Added the detailed server's statistics.
- Changed the saving of the server online-dump (dump is saved to online_dump.ltx).
- Added the changing of keyboard layout by pressing LCtrl +LShift.
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/12845/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:+Clear+Sky+1.5.06+Patch+-+Retail

And the hotfix: http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=38664

dLMN8R

bah, no improvements at all for faction wars or quests that ask you to "hold the point until help arrives". Half the time, help never arrives.

zer0das

Banned
I can't believe people liked this game. And I loved the first one. I got it during the Steam Christmas sale... here's what I liked/dislked:

Liked:
*Prettier
*Faction AI is a tad bit smarter (aka, you can murder some random for a quest and not get shot by everyone instantly. Flip side... you can often times intentionally kill several friendlies in plain sight and the others still don't care. Okay...)
*Upgrades (especially the ammo conversion ones).
*Artifact hunting was more fun.
*The teleporting anomaly was cool.

Disliked:
*Grenades (infinite grenades, that can be thrown in excess of 400 m, that always land in front of your face, and are next to unavoidable. Great idea).
*It takes 2-3 bandages to stop bleeding (5-6 sometimes).
*Hearing them swear in English every 3 seconds gets old really fast. Especially since it usually accompanies a grenade being thrown.
*The game leads you into a death trap (hey, let's go to Cordon through this way. Oh wait, every soldier will shoot you from a mile away... haha, jokes on you! Have fun trying to run by them until you figure out it is essentially impossible). Multiple times.
*Guides cost too much to ever really be worth it, with a very rare exception or two.
*After you hit enemies with a single shot they become invulnerable for a second or two. Increased my ammo usage by like 2-3 times what it would be in SoC.
*Upgrades. Most of them are worthless early on, and are just a huge money sink. Which would be okay, if money wasn't so tight.
*Artifacts are too rare. Yeah yeah, it isn't as easy to find them as it was in the old days. That's nice. Give me more artifacts to find, I'd like my Chernobyl to be a strange and wonderful land of riches as opposed to a completely barren wasteland.
*Quests don't give out enough of a reward 90% of the time.
*Way too difficult to tell when you are approaching an anomaly. Unless I'm a moron and I missed something obvious (I listened to the newbie walkthrough crap too). Give me my loud beeps!
*Being a part of a faction isn't really worth it. Yeah, those Freedom guys who liked you? They're kind of blocking your way now that you joined Duty. Have fun clearing 3 checkpoints full of them!
*Those stupid bandits at the farmstead keep respawning.
*Quests put you into situations where you either get robbed or shot at unexpectedly. Multiple times. I guess you can recover your items, but the money seems to vaporize into thin air. Not cool.
*On a similar note, Strelok is a jerk.
*Point of no return was even less obvious than in the first game. And then they
Throw a freaking helicopter at you along with like 100 monolith in a small building. Also, too much radiation everywhere!
*The ending was even lamer than in the first game. In fact, I'm not even sure it is beatable by ordinary means (although I think I ran into a game stopping bug too, but even then).
*Even buggier than the first game.

I could probably go on with dislikes, but I think that's a pretty good sampling of my complaints.

Sullen

Couldn't find an official thread so I'm bumping this one with my question (just started playing) How the hell do I upgrade stuff? I got two flash drives with upgrades (kevlar and something else) and I took them to the Gray dude in the clear sky camp, but cant figure out how to actually use them.

dLMN8R

Sullen said:
Couldn't find an official thread so I'm bumping this one with my question (just started playing) How the hell do I upgrade stuff? I got two flash drives with upgrades (kevlar and something else) and I took them to the Gray dude in the clear sky camp, but cant figure out how to actually use them.
Only certain traders can upgrade certain weapons, so you'll need to find both the trader than can do the upgrade, and have the flash drive that enables the upgrade.

John

Just got this, is there a patch everyone needs to install right away like the 2009 mod for Shadow? I've heard this one's glitchy.

Scipius

Courtesy of Stallion Free, the Clear Sky Complete mod has been officially released (1.0): http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/

I'm curious to see if this will change people's opinion of CS. It has gotten a bit of a bad rap lately, whereas the game introduced many of the improvements found in CoP.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I actually like Clear Sky more than Call if Pripyat. COP was pretty bland and some design desicions led to boring gameplay. I hate like they build your expecations and then - BOOM -
nothing scary at at Jupiter, only annoying dogs.

JADS

Scipius said:
Courtesy of Stallion Free, the Clear Sky Complete mod has been officially released (1.0): http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/

I'm curious to see if this will change people's opinion of CS. It has gotten a bit of a bad rap lately, whereas the game introduced many of the improvements found in CoP.

Thanks for posting. Well time to start up Clear Sky again and actually finish the game this time. After a certain part in Limansk I said fuck it and I never finished the last part of the game. :lol

hamchan

Scipius said:

Excellent news. I've been holding back on playing clear sky just for this mod. Let's hope it's as great as the original.

Decado

The game is $5 on D2D. With all the mods is it worth it? Also, is there some sort of blood texture mod? I hate shooters where you shoot people/things to no noticeable effect.

Just started playing this with the complete mod and so far it seems pretty cool. The machine gunner at the army base can go to hell though. I had to resort to a FAQ to see if I was in the wrong area or something because he could somehow see me from a mile away and he can kill you really fast whenever I was running around trying to figure out how to get past him. I'm still deciding which faction to side with though..

Ok after playing for a while and now joining the stalker faction...do they ever stop relying on me to defend there positions?? Seriously I'm on a quest/mission from someone else and than my faction is asking for me to help defend some stupid area that used to have 6 guys guarding it, but when I went over there they were all gone! I know I will just have to start ignoring there requests for help..it's just bothering me so far.

subversus

Don't bother, they won't die, it's optional. It's only for your comfort - less places are occupied by bandits, so you don't need to fight them often.

So to what extent does the complete mod improve upon Clear Sky. From what I've read Clear Sky seems to be widely considered the weakest of the trilogy but it's $10 on steam so I find myself tempted to fire it up if this complete mod irons out the many complaints.

After playing completing Shadow of Chernobyl for the first time last week I'm currently making my way through this with the Complete mod. I'm just about to enter the Red Forest, so I'm about 3/4s of the way through, and although it's still a lot of fun, it's really lacking something that the original had. I don't really like the emphasis on the factions so much, as the great thing about SoC was wandering around an isolated area and then when you saw people wondering if they'd be friendly or hostile. I think that added to the atmosphere a lot more. I appreciate that this is a prequel before it all went to utter shit, but still.

Perhaps it's partly due to the fact that I'm going back to many places that I played in the first game, as well. There's a lack of wonder and apprehension as I know roughly what's waiting for me.

There's a lot of little confusing things as well which I don't understand. Nobody wants to buy my USB sticks with upgrade info, even the guys that upgrade my equipment, and most people who I can trade with will give me 5-10% of the worth of any loot. I've had to re-load saves due to random glitches far more than SoC, also, even with the Complete mod.

I don't mean this to sound so negative as I'm still having a fun time in the universe, but when I move on to CoP (whenever the Complete mod for that is release, as I don't want to play it vanilla) it hits me in the same way that SoC did.

subversus

Frankly speaking I found COP boring and dried up. Bring on STALKER 2 on Cryengine 3.

That's partly what I'm afraid of now, too. Unless it does something really new then the universe of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is kind of a known entity and it was the mystery that really made me love the original.

We'll see. CoP's Complete mod is probably quite a way off, so I'll have been away from The Zone for a while by that point. :)

Scipius

Red Forest is where the fun starts again; make sure to play it at night :D . The best parts of CS were the new areas: Swamps, Red Forest and Limansk (though it was a shame Limansk was
past the point of no return
).

You might as well play CoP in vanilla; in terms of interface it is more or less like the Complete mods and it has other improvements as well. It was also far more stable and less buggy than the others were at release. Unless you really rely on features the Complete mod has (teleporting, etc.), you're only going to wait for improved textures (which had improved anyway).

Top Bottom