• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stand Up Comedy Thread

Bullet Club

A thread for stand up comedy videos. New & old, good & bad, offensive & inoffensive...whatever.

Let's laugh, everyone!

Zi6KjwL.gif

Nymphae

Banned
When I was growing up, I was a huge stand up comedy nut. My dad got me into it when I was way too young to be listening to the stuff, I remember watching specials with my parents a lot. Carlin, Pryor, Murphy, The Comic Relief stuff, whatever was available back then we consumed, Carlin was our favourite though. I really loved all his voices and just his stage presence. I used to be amazing at naming comedians by voice alone, we have a local AM station where I am that just plays stand up bits, they would say the name of the previous comedian after the bit, so I loved trying to name them as fast as possible based on the voice. My best was Marc Maron, I got it in like half a second by just hearing an "Aghgh!" lol.

Anyway, I don't listen to or watch the stuff at all anymore. I'm sure there are some good working comedians somewhere, but what I see from the mainstream makes me cringe. I like the Legion of Skanks guys, but even with them I find a lot of their actual written stand up material to be garbage - they are way more entertaining just riffing with each other.

People have recommended me Cumtown and various things by Sam Hyde, and I can't stand either one of them. Comedy largely feels dead to me.

Karma Jawa

As a Brit I love a lot of American comedians, especially George Carlin.

Not sure how well American audiences would respond to him, but Stewart Lee is a favourite of mine.

Here’s a brief clip of him slating a minor celebrity comedian called Joe Pasquale (annoying little shit with a squeaky voice):

Super Mario

Banned
I really like Jokoys shows on Netflix but some of the jokes will work better if you know Filo culture think.

Like in my case, Sebastian Maniscalco. The humor may not be for everyone. However, it is great that comedy has gotten so vast that we can have these subsets for those who appreciate it.

Kev Kev

Mike Birbiglia

hes not for everyone i suppose. pretty clean and maybe even a bit corny, but i love it. he's more of a slow burn story teller type of comedy, but when his jokes pay off of my fuckin god is it funny. this is a good example because its jsut an 8 minute set, so its like a really shortened version of what he does in a 1-2 hour long show and specials on Netflix

Nymphae

Banned
BufzXQ2.jpg

unrelated:

Take it easy white knights you're in a comedy thread

Last edited:
Top Bottom