• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I'm about to sign up and buy the starter pack and saw that there is a referral programm. If someone wants me to use his referral code pm me.

Tuber

I'm about to sign up and buy the starter pack and saw that there is a referral programm. If someone wants me to use his referral code pm me.

While it's a nice gesture, I don't think they credit referrals for the discounted packs.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Sorry, it has to be a minimum of 40$, to be able to use the referral.

I think it worked? I used someone's code and now have 5000 points on my thing.

I accidentally paid 5 € more than I had to because I didn't see you could change the prices from Dollar to Euro. But whatever, still incredible value.

I also send my application for the Gaf org.

Shy

I think it worked? I used someone's code and now have 5000 points on my thing.

I accidentally paid 5 € more than I had to because I didn't see you could change the prices from Dollar to Euro. But whatever, still incredible value.
Ohh. my mistake.
I also send my application for the Gaf org.
Accepted.

Where is the spreadsheet with all the ships org has? I need to update it with my new ships and delete some of the old ones.

Can someone put it in the OP? I didn't see a link there.

Just got to catch up with the stream now I am off of work. The Starfarer is huge. Not my type of role but amazingly designed. Man, that livestream just showed of some fantastic stuff.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Where is the spreadsheet with all the ships org has? I need to update it with my new ships and delete some of the old ones.

Can someone put it in the OP? I didn't see a link there.

Quote the OP and look for the big ROSTER SPREADSHEET part at the bottom of the quoted text it shows before you post. We're just keeping it hidden in an email tag to keep people from ruining it. (It automatically backs up anyway - this just saves some trouble and keeps things more private)

Tic174

And then you see another developer, on Twitter, basically being Derek Smart 2.0 and even wrongfully quoting Roberts. This guy, right here: https://twitter.com/sssmcgrath

I just woke up 7am UK time and the guy is still going, arguing how how the game is a "classic ponzi scheme"

Really enjoyed the stream last night, I like it when they show behind the game development and how different ships come together.

Also I hope when they redo the anniversary sale the P-72 still has LTI as I didn't have enough money to pick it up at the time but I should do on boxing day.

Vashu

I just woke up 7am UK time and the guy is still going, arguing how how the game is a "classic ponzi scheme"

Hahaha. Man, comedy gold.

Look, I get that he's a developer and thinks he knows what he's talking about but unless he can actually see what it's really like instead of going on public knowledge (which is skewed like hell on both sides), I'm taking everything he says with a grain of salt.

It's funny how he always returns to the standard strawman arguments with the assett pipeline. I mean, we don't even get to see half of what is in development at this moment.

Wow, he is so salty.

Yeah when he tweeted his assumption of the Porsche being CR's you just know it's jealousy. Is he surprised that CR gets his own paycheck? CR has also had wealth before SC, some of which he put into the game to get it far enough for the original pitch. Also how does he know it's the limited Turbo Anniversary edition from that image? Guess the wheels look similar. What does it matter though, people are so obsessed over him.

Xane

Yeah when he tweeted his assumption of the Porsche being CR's you just know it's jealousy. Is he surprised that CR gets his own paycheck? CR has also had wealth before SC, some of which he put into the game to get it far enough for the original pitch. Also how does he know it's the limited Turbo Anniversary edition from that image? Guess the wheels look similar. What does it matter though, people are so obsessed over him.

Yes, he financed the original prototype for GDC 2012 all by himself. This man was committed from the very start.

Vashu

Yes, he financed the original prototype for GDC 2012 all by himself. This man was committed from the very start.

Clearly. :)

I also like the fact that he keeps saying Chris should open up his books, you know, so that everybody can see how the money is being spent.

From what we've seen so far, I'm pretty sure where all that money is being spent. You know, on creating a massive seamless engine, on amazing animation/motion capture techniques, on truly detailed ships and worlds.

I mean, come on, he's sounding exactly like Derek Smart.

Besides, McGrath only has like four games on his name and, while good, they're no Wing Commander, or Strike Commander.

danthefan

Along with any crowd funded project I fail to see the problem with then raising so much money. They put the idea of the game out there and people can make the choice to back it or not. Don't like it, don't pay, simple as that.

Xane

Along with any crowd funded project I fail to see the problem with then raising so much money. They put the idea of the game out there and people can make the choice to back it or not. Don't like it, don't pay, simple as that.

Jealousy, son. Jealousy.

I don't even know who that twitter guy is. Most likely just fishing for attention.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Looks amazing, probably could get it to boot on my PC but I think I'm good waiting for it all to be done.

I think a lot of the shit they have taken over this project is really unfair, who the fuck knows how to run a $100 million crowd funded project? How much of your budget do you spend on offices and furniture and equipment when every penny was given with the express purpose of playing the end product? How do you balance the requests of a million backers with the needs of the development process? How much do you pay Roberts for being in charge of hundreds of people and for defining the vision that's basically keeping all those people employed?

These guys are in completely uncharted territory, it's absolutely right that people audit their behaviour but in my opinion they deserve a hell of a lot of slack, as much on the business side of things as the game itself. They aren't going to get everything right, that's 100% guaranteed, but I think the one thing they have shown without any question so far is that they are acting in good faith.

Donny

How would this game run on my build?
FX8350
R9 290
16 Gb Ram
Windows 10

I'm so hyped but don't want to have it run like crap...

Xane

How would this game run on my build?
FX8350
R9 290
16 Gb Ram
Windows 10

I'm so hyped but don't want to have it run like crap...

Current build of 2.0 has network issues. Physics are frame-synchronized and as such kills your framerate at low pings. No machine can help there. Just wait.

MikeDown

Banned
That shit is crazy!
Another phenomenal character model too :D
c1ZwsTN.jpg
think that is scanned

KKRT00

You mean instead of a purely hand made person? I assume several of the characters would be, aren't all the characters in SQ42 scanned?

All faces in the game will be scanned, some just will be modified by hand/procedurally to look different.

tuxfool

Banned
You mean instead of a purely hand made person? I assume several of the characters would be, aren't all the characters in SQ42 scanned?

The actor is in SQ42, you see it listed in his credits. You can also see a primitive version of the character model in the Morrow tour. He is the dude that is carrying all the boxes.

Irobot82

All faces in the game will be scanned, some just will be modified by hand/procedurally to look different.

The actor is in SQ42, you see it listed in his credits. You can also see a primitive version of the character model in the Morrow tour. He is the dude that is carrying all the boxes.

Cool, so we are going to get a robust character creator though right?

tuxfool

Banned
Cool, so we are going to get a robust character creator though right?

Yup, that's what they have said. The shape it takes isn't known yet. Though I doubt it will have the flexibility to create the monstrosities you see in Souls games or FO4, which is ok with me.

Ahhhh shite. Guess it'll have to be sooner rather than later then.

It's actually not garuntee'd you're gonna get slideshow frames. I was running it on a 580 at low and spent most of my time above 30fps before they released 2.0. I can'y say anything beyond that since I had a 970 by the time it came out (that was a very worthwhile jump in peformance btw) but a lot it will will come down to what 580 you have. If you have a 580ti with a 384 bit bus you can get by on low. If it's just a plain old 580 abandon all hope.

PG video is cool, although it feels a bit rough except for the landing zone. And the small scale of the planet is also pretty obvious.

Have you guys seen this? lol lots of work still to be done with that game..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWq8ynUq7wM

Of course we have, it's the exact same alpha we're testing out. It has many bugs and crashes a whole load much like an alpha. I don't mean to sound rude but what was you expecting? The Alpha just released very recently, uses new tech they've only just got working to a point where it can be even close to considered stable and as such put it out to the testers just as they promised.

Zalusithix

PG video is cool, although it feels a bit rough except for the landing zone. And the small scale of the planet is also pretty obvious.

It was part of the livestream, so yeah, I'd imagine most of us have seen it. Nothing new when it comes to the issues in 2.0, or there being fail moments in a livestream. Anybody who's played 2.0 knows there's a lot of work to be done. Heck, anybody that's been remotely following the game knew there were going to be issues before we even had a chance to step into the PU.

smisk

Finally was able to put some time in to this last night (though it did crash on me a couple of times before I was able to get into my ship). I was pretty amazed. It's clearly rough around the edges in some ways, but this is definitely a huge step towards what I imagined while reading the kickstarter pitch.
One of the best moments was when I jumped to a moon or something surrounded by asteroids. My sensors detected another ship 17 km away, I locked onto him and went into cruise to get closer. After a few seconds I turned around, and could see the entire planet and asteroid belt I was in just a minute before. Made me grin like an idiot. It sounds dumb but this game gives you a sense of scale and place like nothing else I've played.
My biggest nitpicks are with the universe framerate and the fact that I clip out of my ship (Mustang) every time I get out of the seat..

Pomerlaw

hahaha you guys are a bit grumpy today? ;)

I'm an OLD backer. I may download the new patch soon. I'm still a bit dissapointed from what I see and hear about the flight model thought.

I hope they give ship more weight and inertia. Is this still in the plan?

KKRT00

Sure, we were watching it yesterday live. We laughed as fuck from it and were expecting every bug that he encountered :)

Its an early alpha, it had to gone wrong.

---
I hope they give ship more weight and inertia. Is this still in the plan?
We debated physics so many times already.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dai5WBZwtD0

Top Bottom