• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

R2rN4gU.png

Wow.

Zalusithix

Yay to $100 mil! Wonder what we'll be at by the time SC hits 1.0.

And with mercenar1e speaking of hangars, my character must have been drunk the last time he took the P-52 out for a spin. It didn't quite land correctly...

Also, great to see the Vanguard first hand. Really gives a feel for how large of a fighter it is.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Oh shit! $100 million! That came faster than expected.

Here's the top 25 wall of shame from the Arena Commander thread, BTW:

Code:
Dictator93 	740
Zalusithix 	629
Zabojnik 	486
KKRT00 		399
Daedardus 	374
Raticus79 	316
tuxfool 	308
Danthrax 	305
Shy 		283
Geist- 		206
epmode 		198
Dubbedinenglish 177
staticneuron 	164
kutthoat5150 	126
The Dear Leader 120
CyberPunked 	117
MrBig 		113
mercenar1e 	110
Burny 		109
Teknopathetic 	101
Rephin 		99
Xplatformer 	97
Tommyhawk 	91
RK9039 		88
Sax Russel 	81

Woo, eighth place!

Shredderi

Haven't really read up on the game except for the best ever graphics (my god), so I only have a vague idea about the game at best in terms of content. Gaffers who have been following this game closely, what's your read? Will the game someday be jam packed with quality content worth the humongous budget or will the money mostly go into new ships? On paper this looks and sounds absolutely fantastic but I'm still wondering if this will have handcrafted content or if it's one of those "make your own experience" games?

Haven't really read up on the game except for the best ever graphics (my god), so I only have a vague idea about the game at best in terms of content. Gaffers who have been following this game closely, what's your read? Will the game someday be jam packed with quality content worth the humongous budget or will the money mostly go into new ships? On paper this looks and sounds absolutely fantastic but I'm still wondering if this will have handcrafted content or if it's one of those "make your own experience" games?

the trading, mining, economy, customization and bounty hunting system isn't in the game yet. Star Citizen 2.0 is a small sample of what exploration will be like in the game.

i wonder how much they spent on the cast for SQ42.

golem

The locations shown so far seem interesting and unique as far as content goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YMlnn4Ngk

Also there will be a single player campaign with a few familiar faces

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSXcdvd-ME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EC4WHPxnrk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8YkjRs-S8w

Went nearly 2 hours without a crash before closing the program on my will, felt really good!

The instance I was in had none of the ship request computers working at terminal A so you had to EVA to another terminal which ended up looking ridiculous when everyone was doing it.

Ran a bunch of missions which are pretty fun but the highlight was when I went to the abandoned station. I'm usually a nice guy but figured I'd try to the evil route for once. Fly in and there's a ship on the landing pad so I blow it up. Go inside, gen the assault rifle, find the pilot and kill him. Then I look out the window and see a connie landing. I head to the nearest airlock and kill a guy on the spot, then out to the landing pass where I kill another. Then I hear voices inside the ship (using the emotes) and suddenly the elevator drops and of course I kill him. Then I go up the elevator and kill another inside as I'm riding up. Attempt to steal connie but it glitches and wrecks, so I head back to my original ship where another dude is hanging around. I'm out if ammo at this point, so quickly jump in an and kill him point blank with the ship cannons.

Now back to being nice guy.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Went nearly 2 hours without a crash before closing the program on my will, felt really good!

The instance I was in had none of the ship request computers working at terminal A so you had to EVA to another terminal which ended up looking ridiculous when everyone was doing it.

Ran a bunch of missions which are pretty fun but the highlight was when I went to the abandoned station. I'm usually a nice guy but figured I'd try to the evil route for once. Fly in and there's a ship on the landing pad so I blow it up. Go inside, gen the assault rifle, find the pilot and kill him. Then I look out the window and see a connie landing. I had to the nearest airlock and kill a guy on the spot, then out to the landing pass where I kill another. Then I hear voices inside the ship (using the emotes) and suddenly the elevator drops and of course I kill him. Then I go up the elevator and kill another inside as I'm riding up. Attempt to steal connie but it glitches and wrecks, so I head back to my original ship where another dude is hanging around. I'm out if ammo at this point, so quickly jump in an and kill him point blank with the so cannons.

Now back to being nice guy.

Great story. Too bad you didn't record a video of it.

Code:
Dictator93 	740
Zalusithix 	629
Zabojnik 	486
KKRT00 		399
Daedardus 	374
Raticus79 	316
tuxfool 	308
Danthrax 	305
Shy 		283
Geist- 		206
epmode 		198
Dubbedinenglish 177
staticneuron 	164
kutthoat5150 	126
The Dear Leader 120
[B]CyberPunked 	117[/B]
MrBig 		113
mercenar1e 	110
Burny 		109
Teknopathetic 	101
Rephin 		99
Xplatformer 	97
Tommyhawk 	91
RK9039 		88
Sax Russel 	81

Woo, eighth place!
Haha, didn't think i posted that much. Go Dictator, though!

Saiyan-Rox

Got it downloaded managed to fly one ship once before it crashed lol

No idea what I was doing when flying it either. But boy is it pretty my system is having issues though.

I can't play the game without experiencing game-breaking bugs and sub 30 fps D:

If I get out of my ship in deep space I lag around unable to interact with anything and then the game crashes.

Saiyan-Rox

I'm guessing because I'm using a free account is why I can't access the screen to pick a ship in the sandbox level yeah?

Not that I can get into the game at all atm

I actually forgot I bought a package for this.

Some thoughts:

Dinked around a little bit. You fall through the floor of the Avenger 100% of the time, which makes it difficult to get into the cockpit.

The warp effect is pretty damn cool cool.

Combat against AI pirates is manageable. They respawn very quickly though which is annoying. I cleared a com link and reset it during an EVA. Afterwards I was trying to check my mission list in my cockpit. All of the pirates returned and blew me up while I was trying, unsuccessfully, to get out of the F9 menu.

Speaking of which, the F9 menu only has about a 30% chance to show up while on foot. A lot of times you will just put your arm in front of your face until you hit the back prompt.

Not much to do from what I can tell. Which is fine, the structure is there to be built upon. I kinda dont understand how they hope to facilitate a bounty hunter system in game though. My ship has a bunch of cryo pods, hopefully someday they find a smart way to use them.

They should add internet radio to the ships.

I really like the proof of concept. Its good to know that something exists and is playable, even if it is the barest of bare bones. Makes me feel a lot better about the future of the game.

(Yes I am aware it is a true Alpha, I know things will get fixed/added.)

tuxfool

Banned
How do I do that? I'm still learning all the buttons its insane the amount.

You can do this:
Find an elevator or just log off and then on into another instance

Or preferably:

if you got a stable connection and you don't want to leave all you do is exit out to where the landing pads are, run off the edge of them and float your way to a different set on the other side of the spinning ring.

GKB

How big is Alpha 2.0?

My internet connection isn't so good, so if it's really big, i'll just wait for the game's full release.

Yep, just a hair short of 30.

Edit: Are there any real performance tweaks for this? Whether I have it set to Low or Very High (the setting barely seems to make any difference visually anyway) I tend to hover between 15-25 fps. i5 3570k, 970.

AngerdX

Yep, just a hair short of 30.

Edit: Are there any real performance tweaks for this? Whether I have it set to Low or Very High (the setting barely seems to make any difference visually anyway) I tend to hover between 15-25 fps. i5 3570k, 970.

Not atm really atleast for the verse, FPS is tied to server performance and they seem to hit cpu´s hard on purpose atm, my 290x basicly never goes to max clocks at all, or for a split second and then goes back to 30-40% use.

IT´s quite a bit off from proper optimisations.

Saiyan-Rox

You can do this:

Or preferably:

if you got a stable connection and you don't want to leave all you do is exit out to where the landing pads are, run off the edge of them and float your way to a different set on the other side of the spinning ring.

Oh one other question I've gotten myself stuck and I see in keybindings there's a self destruct button and a respawn one but it isn't working

Just logged out for today try again tomorrow I guess.

AngerdX

Respawn i think was right alt + backspace or was that not it?

Mobiglass works but can be bugged try it a bit later again.

Irobot82

Respawn i think was right alt + backspace or was that not it?

Mobiglass works but can be bugged try it a bit later again.

Cool I spawned a shit about 2 or three times and immediately crashed them all so I think I'm going to do some solo practice, watch some videos and get back into the swing of things.

Esqueleto

Banned
F9 the mobiglass doesn't appear to be working for me.
It works after a while. The animation cuts off and he puts his hand back down but you can still use if if you look down. It usually works for me after 1 minute or 2. Using f9 on the ship seems to always work.

Game is still too unstable with overclocks. I lowered my cpu closer to stock frequencies and was finally able to play for more an 10 seconds after getting in a ship though it still crashed after a good 30 minutes.

Code:
Dictator93 	740
Zalusithix 	629
Zabojnik 	486
KKRT00 		399
Daedardus 	374
Raticus79 	316
tuxfool 	308
Danthrax 	305
Shy 		283
Geist- 		206
epmode 		198
Dubbedinenglish 177
staticneuron 	164
kutthoat5150 	126
The Dear Leader 120
CyberPunked 	117
MrBig 		113
mercenar1e 	110
Burny 		109
Teknopathetic 	101
Rephin 		99
Xplatformer 	97
Tommyhawk 	91
RK9039 		88
Sax Russel 	81

Woo, eighth place!

First time I've ever been on a wall of shame, feels good man.

Code:
Dictator93 	740
Zalusithix 	629
Zabojnik 	486
KKRT00 		399
Daedardus 	374
Raticus79 	316
tuxfool 	308
Danthrax 	305
Shy 		283
Geist- 		206
epmode 		198
Dubbedinenglish 177
staticneuron 	164
kutthoat5150 	126
The Dear Leader 120
CyberPunked 	117
MrBig 		113
mercenar1e 	110
Burny 		109
Teknopathetic 	101
Rephin 		99
Xplatformer 	97
Tommyhawk 	91
RK9039 		88
Sax Russel 	81

Woo, eighth place!

Only partially embarassed.

LOL

100 million guys

100 mill

strang

Neo Member
Checked out the free weekend, really impressed with the scale and detail but the game is running like absolute garbage on my 980 and i5-3570K. Like, sub-30 FPS with constant hitching and stuttering even on medium settings. Does it need 16GB of RAM or something?

Checked out the free weekend, really impressed with the scale and detail but the game is running like absolute garbage on my 980 and i5-3570K. Like, sub-30 FPS with constant hitching and stuttering even on medium settings. Does it need 16GB of RAM or something?

16 GB definitely helps (one of their devs said as much recently), but right now you are primarily CPU and server limited. But your CPU is also particularly kinda problematic atm (i5).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Oh cool, what's the FPS station called?

Security Outpost Kareah.

---

Finally managed to get full videos of Vanduul Swarm clears on the two maps, just waiting for them to upload now. It kept crashing around wave 13-17... probably the same issue as before with missiles fired by enemies in the later waves causing instability. I'm currently #32 on the leaderboard: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/arena-commander/leaderboard?mode=VC
If you click an entry there, it gives a detailed stats breakdown. I guess the trick to a high placement is consistently avoiding damage.

Top Bottom