• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Aselith

Looks like we hit $115m. It's crazy that we're on course to getting another $30 million before the end of the year, you'd think funding would be slowing down.

Also, female player model is apparently heading to the game engine.

Unfortunately RSI went out of business around the first of this year because Chris embezzled all of the money so what we're seeing here is a ghost company creating a ghost game with no money :s

Chipopo

Banned
2.4 is Live!!

Also, they've updated the ToS! There are some significant changes:

"You acknowledge and agree that the Game and the pledge items delivered to you may differ in certain aspects from the description of the Game and those pledge items that was available on the Website at the time of your Pledge."

"However, you acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a firm promise and may be extended by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the
development and/or production time."

"you agree that any Pledge amounts applied against the Pledge Item Cost and the Game Cost shall be non-refundable regardless of whether or not RSI is able to complete and deliver the Game and/or the pledge items"

"YOU AGREE, THEREFORE, THAT YOU WILL NEVER ASSERT OR BRING ANY CLAIM OR SUIT AGAINST RSI, ITS PARENT COMPANY, DIVISIONS, SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, OR ANY EMPLOYEES OF ANY OF ABOVE, WHICH IS RELATED TO OR BASED ON, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO; (I) A CLAIM THAT YOU “OWN” ANY VIRTUAL GOODS IN THE GAME, (II) A CLAIM FOR THE “VALUE” OF VIRTUAL GOODS IF RSI DELETES THEM (AND/OR TERMINATES YOUR ACCOUNT) WITH A REASONABLE CAUSE AT RSI’S SOLE DISCRETION"

Take a moment to consider if this is something you want to agree to. If you have any hesitation about the amount you've invested and whether or not you will see a return on that investment, or if any of this new language raises a red flag for you, do not click "I Accept". You simply have a better shot with the ToS you have now.

For those of you who really want to lock lips with fate and have no hesitation whatsoever...Godspeed.

Take a moment to consider if this is something you want to agree to. If you have any hesitation about the amount you've invested and whether or not you will see a return on that investment, or if any of this new language raises a red flag for you, do not click "I Accept". You simply have a better shot with the ToS you have now.

For those of you who really want to lock lips with fate and have no hesitation whatsoever...Godspeed.

At this point in time, if you really have to consider if this game is vaporware, or if they will not "finish", given the content already released..... I would highly suggest against agreeing to the TOS and investing in any long term crowdfunded project ever again.

ultrazilla

Oh wow that new TOS is a huge Red Flag. Saying your pledge is non refundable should they not finish the game? Who in their right mind would agree to that?

I'm sorry but perhaps Derrick Smart isn't so far off as people think...

they are impressive numbers no doubt, but sales have actually slowed down considerably this year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...rDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Total in January - May 2015: 14,881,464$
Total January - May 2016: 10,391,221$
Change: -30%

Total in May 2015: 2,815,387$
Total in May 2016: 1,432,159$
Change: -49%

They can probably compensate for this later in the year presuming SQ42 hits its release target, though.
Please tell me they aren't relying on a consistant stream of new revenue to finish this game?

Chipopo

Banned
Please tell me they aren't relying on a consistant stream of new revenue to finish this game?

Hard to say. Under the old ToS, there was mention of a financial audit for the backers should the game be more than 18 months past due. The new ToS removes this entirely. So its likely that the only way we'll know how much they depend on fresh income is in the event that they go bankrupt.

Given the amount of open positions they still hire for (with presumably XXX term contracts that need to be respected in places like Germany that have strict contract law), I would not put too much behind the TOS changes atm.

nobody knows how much of the funds are left.. they aren't totally transparent.

what i am getting from reading the new TOS is that they're no longer offering refunds to anyone under any circumstance and that the 2016 release schedule is being pushed back.

"However, you acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a firm promise and may be extended by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the
development and/or production time."

KKRT00

I'm sorry but perhaps Derrick Smart isn't so far off as people think...
lol

----
nobody knows how much of the funds are left.. they aren't totally transparent.

what i am getting from reading the new TOS is that they're no longer offering refunds to anyone under any circumstance and that the 2016 release schedule is being pushed back.

No, this only means that development can vary based on different variables, which is very true to the nature of software development.

07-minister.jpg

=P

Geist-

From section VII. Fundraising & Pledges

RSI agrees to use its good faith business efforts to deliver to you the pledge items and the Game on or before the estimated delivery date communicated to you on the Website. However, you acknowledge and agree that delivery as of such date is not a firm promise and may be extended by RSI since unforeseen events may extend the development and/or production time. Accordingly, you agree that any unearned portion of your Pledge shall not be refundable until and unless RSI has ceased development and failed to deliver the relevant pledge items and/or the Game to you. (Pledges made under previous Terms of Services continue to be governed by the corresponding clause of the Terms of Services, or of the Commercial Terms, as applicable, which were in effect at the time of making the Pledge).

Alright, so the previous TOS said within 18 months of estimated release date, so I guess this TOS only applies to new pledges? That's less worrying.

Zalusithix

Cannot wait to see my first love be brought to life.

Indeed. The Caterpillar was meh for me, but the Carrack... That's another story. Also added the Dragonfly into the roster sheet in preparation for the upcoming sale. Categorized it as racing, because frankly I have no idea what to classify it as lol.

As for the TOS changes, I can't say I care. Perhaps I've been crowdfunding things long enough that I understand that if a project does go belly up, you're more or less fucked regardless of any TOS. If they have no money to complete the project, they'll have no money to refund you. At best asset sales will go to pay off any larger loans first, and the rest divvied up between the backers. Whether I get $10 or $0 back on a failed project means little to me. If you're not comfortable losing what you've invested in a crowdfunded project, don't crowdfund in the first place. Period.

And the amount of money raised should get them enough borrowing power if needed.

They really shouldn't need to borrow more, they were not at this operating size the entire time, so hopefully they have enough banked to get the title to market.

Indeed. The Caterpillar was meh for me, but the Carrack... That's another story. Also added the Dragonfly into the roster sheet in preparation for the upcoming sale. Categorized it as racing, because frankly I have no idea what to classify it as lol.

As for the TOS changes, I can't say I care. Perhaps I've been crowdfunding things long enough that I understand that if a project does go belly up, you're more or less fucked regardless of any TOS. If they have no money to complete the project, they'll have no money to refund you. At best asset sales will go to pay off any larger loans first, and the rest divvied up between the backers. Whether I get $10 or $0 back on a failed project means little to me. If you're not comfortable losing what you've invested in a crowdfunded project, don't crowdfund in the first place. Period.

Agreed.

Daedardus

Great, being able to download at 10MB/s for a small hour only to fall down to 20KB/s for the last GB. Should have taken you a minute, son!

Geist-

I haven't touched the game for probably 4 months. Anything good right now that should drag me back in?

Here's some good links for the new stuff that just got added in 2.4.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15355-Star-Citizen-Alpha-24-Available

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15377-Star-Citizen-Alpha-240

The big stuff is the addition of actual persistence, with stuff like getting aUEC from missions and buying clothing, weapons, and armor from various shops.

Also, Starfarer is flight ready now, which is a big deal because of how massive a ship it is.

Patrick S.

Banned
Reinstalled the game, was very much looking forward to play this again for a while before going to bed. I have tried like ten times, and every time I start the game, right after having loaded the main menu I get a "connection failed" error with an ok button, and when I click ok I get thrown back to the desktop.

Rephin

Reinstalled the game, was very much looking forward to play this again for a while before going to bed. I have tried like ten times, and every time I start the game, right after having loaded the main menu I get a "connection failed" error with an ok button, and when I click ok I get thrown back to the desktop.

Well, you could always try the basic two client troubleshooting steps:

1) Delete the USER folder in the Star Citizen Public directory.
2) Click Verify Files on the launcher.

Cromwell

Banned
New ToS seems like a glaring red flag. I love what's in the game and it looked like it was slowly but surely shaping up, but now I don't know. If they're even entertaining the idea that they might not finish the game this is very bad news.

Sorry I almost afraid to post this idea because owners of the game don't like people who don't own the game from being too negative.

But .. I wonder if SC may become the first game in history that ends up being almost entirely the sale of cosmetic items. Or was that "PlayStation home".

MGHA

Played some tonight. My my double threaded 4 core i7 2600k gtx 680 can barely pull 35 fps on medium settings. Not a complaint. Amazing experience for sure. I still find it annoying people are still suicide bombing their ships into you during dog fights though. Most annoying part for me.

SmartBase

Sorry I almost afraid to post this idea because owners of the game don't like people who don't own the game from being too negative.

But .. I wonder if SC may become the first game in history that ends up being almost entirely the sale of cosmetic items. Or was that "PlayStation home".

Can't blame you, any criticism from even other owners of the game gets them the Derek Smart label or one of the other canned and mostly sarcastic responses. As for cosmetics, well, they're going to have to earn more money somehow if the game doesn't require a subscription.

KKRT00

No one knows but CIG.

On the other hand they are still expanding so thats doubtful.

---

There is nothing wrong at being negative, but it must come from some real reason.
Regarding cosmetic, or more like ships that are being sold, the will also feature private server and full story campaign. Some people arent even interested in Star Citizen component.
And in the end its an MMO, they need to some constant revenue stream to update the game.

Patrick S.

Banned
Well, you could always try the basic two client troubleshooting steps:

1) Delete the USER folder in the Star Citizen Public directory.
2) Click Verify Files on the launcher.

Verifying the files took more than an hour but it fixed the issue, thanks. Wonder what happened, since it was a fresh install.

Played some tonight. My my double threaded 4 core i7 2600k gtx 680 can barely pull 35 fps on medium settings. Not a complaint. Amazing experience for sure. I still find it annoying people are still suicide bombing their ships into you during dog fights though. Most annoying part for me.

Suiciding is a lot less intentional than it is a product of the poor flight behavior of ships and poor controls.

The new tos doesn't worry me. Any corp with a good lawyer makes those things as ridiculous as possible. Rarely stops a class action suit anyway cause judges can still say the tos was unfair.

Patrick S.

Banned
When I last played this a few months ago, I could run it quite nicely on very high settings, now it runs worse on low than it did on high before. Runs worse than ARK for me now (i5 4690k @ 4 ghz, nvidia 970, 8 gb RAM).

When I last played this a few months ago, I could run it quite nicely on very high settings, now it runs worse on low than it did on high before. Runs worse than ARK for me now (i5 4690k @ 4 ghz, nvidia 970, 8 gb RAM).

If you are playing on the Universe server, you are limited by server performance as well as by a lot of simulation being currently pegged to a single CPU thread. Your GPU is probably sitting like @ 30-40% usage in a number of scenarios. It will be much better in due time as the multi-threading in the engine is improved.
Yeah.

Patrick S.

Banned
If you are playing on the Universe server, you are limited by server performance as well as by a lot of simulation being currently pegged to a single CPU thread. Your GPU is probably sitting like @ 30-40% usage in a number of scenarios. It will be much better in due time as the multi-threading in the engine is improved.
Yeah.

Oh, that is a bit disappointing. Have RSI commented on (future) performance?

Top Bottom