• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen (indie space-sim) funding now at whopping $37 million

This is some AAA budget shit now, goddamn.
Roberts Space Industries' in-development spacefaring MMORPG Star Citizen earned over $5 million over the last two months of its extended crowdfunding campaign, reaching a grand total of $37 million as of this week.

The latest funding milestone nets players an additional in-game star system located in the middle of a rectangular planetary nebula. The nature of Star Citizen's final system, which will be unlocked once the campaign reaches its $40 million stretch goal, will be decided by community vote.
Via Joystiq

Mashing

They need to stop somewhere. At some point it's going to be impossible to deliver on what they've promised.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
jesus, these guys better deliver. people are blindly spending real life car money on videogame spaceships. if this game turns out shitty i can't even imagine how dumb those backers who spent 20k+ will feel.

epmode

jesus, these guys better deliver. people are blindly spending real life car money on videogame spaceships. if this game turns out shitty i can't even imagine how dumb those backers who spent 20k+ will feel.

Man, this genre was so dead that I'll be happy even if they turn out a by-the-numbers singleplayer+multiplayer space sim.

Have you guys seen Elite: Dangerous? It's ridiculously impressive, especially considering how much less money they're working with than Star Citizen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm9W8vs0IWo

Europeans dont drive cars, they take the bus and the underground.

Mindlog

It is insane the money people have thrown at this, i hope it comes out the way it is supposed to be.
It already has.
Between Oculus and SC the genre has seen a revival to rival its original late 90s peak.
Man, this genre was so dead that I'll be happy even if they turn out a by-the-numbers singleplayer+multiplayer space sim.
Post wasn't there when I replied, but read my mind!

I would have panicked and closed contributions after thirty million. I know making games is expensive, but I wouldn't want people to expect the world either. Hopefully it turns out to be the GOAT. My wallet will be stalking them stealthily until release.

When is this supposed to release ?

And isn't it a problem that people is buying all the coolest ships now, leaving newer players in the dust when the game releases ?

When is this supposed to release ?

And isn't it a problem that people is buying all the coolest ships now, leaving newer players in the dust when the game releases ?

The coolest ships aren't available to people who pledge. There will be much better/bigger ships in game. Obviously it gives these people somewhat of an headstart but that's to be expected, they need incentive.

Btw, am I the only one who hasn't pledge to this game? 37M, Jesus... I think I'll pledge when the dogfight module is out.

Deadstar

They need to stop somewhere. At some point it's going to be impossible to deliver on what they've promised.

Will it? If you think of games as a service they can keep adding to it and make it into the ultimate space sim even after it is released.

Nokterian

I backed it and proud to be one of them. This game is going to be freaking huge!

4vkkEja.gif

Horp

Let me start off by saying I'm really hyped for Star Citizen. But I'm way more hyped for the exploration (and to some extent the economy aspect) of the game than the combat.

Deep space combat really isn't very fun imo. It's like flight simulator combat, but way more chaotic. With the removal of the gravity and the ground it just becomes totally frantic and uncontrolled. Tactics are scrapped and it becomes an endless turn and break fest.

It also seems like they are going for those unrealistictly ineffective laser weapons that shoots where you look.

I hope all these backers don't expect too much from the combat. Of course I don't know yet what they will manage to pull out of their hats, but the short alpha combat demo they showed didn't look too promising to me.

Chris said this type of funding is equivalent to a 50-60 million dollar AAA game who uses the traditional publisher method of funding. This is truly insane for the type of game their making. I'm sure he'll deliver but I bet its not coming until the 2nd half of 2015 with all the stretch goals they have met so far.

RulkezX

It already has.
Between Oculus and SC the genre has seen a revival to rival its original late 90s peak.

Post wasn't there when I replied, but read my mind!

Yeah , I think we need to play some of these games before we can call it a "revival to rival the genres peak"

"I hope all these backers don't expect too much from the combat."

You say this as if you're the only person aware of what space combat entails. I'd imagine most of the backers have played at least one space combat/sim before and are well aware of what that means for the combat and *gasp* they might even like that.

RK9039

My brother is forcing me to be a gunner on his ship (Cutlass), and he wants to be the pilot.

I plan on taking over his ship.

tumblr_m6q0jp1gt71ro4hyr.gif

KAP151

I can still remember when this was first announced.

I havent been following it though, so what sort of dev team has he put together?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Let me start off by saying I'm really hyped for Star Citizen. But I'm way more hyped for the exploration (and to some extent the economy aspect) of the game than the combat.

Deep space combat really isn't very fun imo. It's like flight simulator combat, but way more chaotic. With the removal of the gravity and the ground it just becomes totally frantic and uncontrolled. Tactics are scrapped and it becomes an endless turn and break fest.

It also seems like they are going for those unrealistictly ineffective laser weapons that shoots where you look.

I hope all these backers don't expect too much from the combat. Of course I don't know yet what they will manage to pull out of their hats, but the short alpha combat demo they showed didn't look too promising to me.

Deep Space Combat, at unplanned locations, is pretty much undoable, even by taking that first assumption of "Lol newtonian physics"

I still wish EVE atleast had Line of Sight collision

Horp

"I hope all these backers don't expect too much from the combat."

You say this as if you're the only person aware of what space combat entails. I'd imagine most of the backers have played at least one space combat/sim before and are well aware of what that means for the combat and *gasp* they might even like that.

You might very well be right. But it's just too much money and too many backers to just be old space combat sim fans backing, right? I think that the majority of the backers are people quite like a lot of my friends; that have never played a space sim game in their life but are blown away by the scale and graphics of the game. They think of Star Wars and assume the combat will be awesome.

They will just add more alpha slots like they already did a few times.

They did that because they met a goal that allowed them to host more servers around the world which allowed more players to join the alpha, I'm not so sure they'll do that a second time

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It would be hard for this to turn out bad. It has a talented team behind it and like 300k alpha/beta testers.

Trickster

Not to rain on the money train parade. But am I the only one getting a bit tired that the only news we seem to get about this game is everytime it get's a few more million in crowd funding? I get the importance of it, but I'm more interested in how the game actually plays and looks than how much of a budget it has

Top Bottom