• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen loan clarification: it's an advance on their UK game dev tax rebate

Selling virtual ships for huge sums of money is in itself a scam in my opinion, especially if the game itself is still not released years after the sale.

But whatever...

You have no idea what a scam is. An if you are accusing them of such a thing, what is the play? why have you not called the proper people to deal with it. Though of course to do that you have to provide evidence.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scam

Definition of scam

: a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation an insurance scam

Ah ah I know it wasn't your intention. Still, it was a compliment ;)

Shenmue 3 doesn't sell $18000 virtual goodies, so not the same thing at all.

I suspect they really try to release Shenmue 3 so it's another difference.

Actually, it did. It sold you the ability to become a virtual NPC for $10,000. Or name a vendor for $4.500. Or A different NPC for $6000. All those are virtual things you'd only get if if you give huge amounts of money for an unreleased game.

...What? Are you now claiming they aren't trying to make/release Star Citizen? That has to be one of the most absurd things i've read in this thread. Are you completely oblivious to the game being playable at the moment, or the daily/weekly updates, or it being one of the most transparent game developers with a huge amount of evidence the game is being developed?

The fact that you expected people to glean that from that post....

The last game Rockstar released was four years ago and they just delayed their new game with a huge multi million dozen budget that has hardly any screens or footage Is that an issue indicating that the development is an outlier in the industry? We live in a time where four years is the average time it takes for a triple A game to get made let alone a new IP or substantially overhauled sequel. Consider that an incredibly linear game like Hellblade which is only 5-8 hours long took three years to make and needed a delay. Game development unless it's an incredibly iterative sequel is taking longer and longer because games are getting so much more complex than last gen. What's annoying about this is that it only seems to get brought up in SC threads, which is even odder considering let's be honest, it's one of the most ambitious games being made right now because of the scope.

I'm sorry, you did not just compare Rockstar and their impeccable reputation of quality and providing unprecedented bang for your buck with the end product to anything the Star Citizen devs are doing, with all due respect to the Star Citizen team.

And for people comparing development times to other big games, for most of those games people did not already spend so much as a dime on those games. Gamers by in large spent their first bit of money AFTER a final, finished product was delivered

Krisprolls

Banned
It's crowdfunding. What are you expecting them to offer as pledge rewards in a ship-based game?

I expect them not to ask more than a few dollars for virtual ships. Certainly not $18000

I expect them to wait for the game to be released before selling virtual ships.

I expect them to fulfill their promises and not continually extend budget and features to make people dream.

You guys do realize that there's no point debating with an acolyte of Derek Smart right? There's literally nothing you can ever say to get through to a person like that.

MUnited83

For you.
Selling virtual ships for huge sums of money is in itself a scam in my opinion, especially if the game itself is still not released years after the sale.

But whatever...

What do you think about charging 1.8K$ to name a fishing rod in a game even before development has started? Or 4.5K$ to name a street vendor?

I'm sorry, you did not just compare Rockstar and their impeccable reputation of quality and providing unprecedented bang for your buck with the end product to anything the Star Citizen devs are doing, with all due respect to the Star Citizen team.

Man those are some incredible reading skills you have right there, way to miss the point.

Ah ah I know it wasn't your intention. Still, it was a compliment ;)

Shenmue 3 doesn't sell $18000 virtual goodies, so not the same thing at all.

Shenmue sells a shitload of expensive virtual goodies, try again.

Krisprolls

Banned
...What? Are you now claiming they aren't trying to make/release Star Citizen? That has to be one of the most absurd things i've read in this thread. Are you completely oblivious to the game being playable at the moment, or the daily/weekly updates, or it being one of the most transparent game developers with a huge amount of evidence the game is being developed?

The modules released are nothing like what was promised. You can't seriously say those buggy demos are a released game.

They release small things to make people wait and dream. Then videos, posts, claims. That's all they did from the beginning.

I expect them not to ask more than a few dollars for virtual ships. Certainly not $18000

I expect them to fulfill their promises and not continually extend budget and features to make people dream.

Watch this please: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myzibmO0V7k "The Cost of Adding a Single Character to a Fighting Game - Waypoint Pilot Week! "

Come back to me. Now think and or go research how complex CIG wants their ships to be along with the character models themselves. Really think about the effort and the cost.

So you are saying that CIG is not trying to release SC or SQ42? what evidence do you have? do you have something to back that up? or you are being stubborn.

tuxfool

Banned

Way to miss the point. You're willing to give other developers a pass for the time taken to develop a game, but you won't extend the same courtesy here?

MUnited83

For you.
The modules released are nothing like what was promised. You can't seriously say those buggy demos are a released game.

They release small things to make people wait and dream. Then videos, posts, claims. That's all they did from the beginning.

Well shit, by that fucking metric every game in development in existence is a scam that won't ever be released then. Shit, by that metric Shenmue 3 is in a much much worse state. I mean all the Shenmue 3 team does is videos, posts and claims. Can't even release "small things" to make people dream.

The game is in alpha. Of course they will buggy.

This is what it says, when you pledge.

StarCitizenPledge.png

What do you think about charging 1.8K$ to name a fishing rod in a game even before development has started? Or 4.5K$ to name a street vendor?

Man those are some incredible reading skills you have right there, way to miss the point.

Shenmue sells a shitload of expensive virtual goodies, try again.

You just used an example of Rockstar not showing enough of a multi-million dollar game that's been delayed as a build up to a point you were trying to make in an attempt to defend what's going on with this game. I still say, regardless of what your purpose was, you are making the most laughably bad comparison, as if this collective team shares such a reputation as Rockstar has built over many years of developing and shipping big products that have delivered and satisfied many, many millions. The comparison is just not a good one.

Way to miss the point. You're willing to give other developers a pass for the time taken to develop a game, but you won't extend the same courtesy here?

Dude, we are talking about Rockstar. Anything happening with their development process isn't so easily utilized as a get out of jail free card, or to assist in drawing false equivalence with a team that has yet to prove themselves on anywhere near the same scale as Rockstar has. That's all I'm questioning. I don't mind them having years to make their game, but I've just been hearing about this thing now for years, and each year that passes it comes up again and I'm left wondering "what the hell is happening with this game?" Maybe it's unfair, but just like any other developer, they have to prove themselves. If you guys that are involved and invested feel as if they've lived up to their responsibilities and/or promises, then so be it, but you can't blame outside observers for being skeptical of what's going on with this game I've been hearing about forever with virtually no end in sight for its development. Is there a project release date that anyone knows of? Just how much is enough before they feel they can put out a finished product and then perhaps expand from there? Is everyone in the community for this game pleased with how long it's taken?

Adnor

Banned

They are not a full game, but they're proof they're working on something. Also, you don't hire people like Mark Hamil, Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson and Andy Serkis just to scam money out of people, you'd hire no-name actors, it would be muuuch cheaper.

Do you have absolutely no idea how crowdfunding works? It relies on people donating to the game in order to be made in the first place. People need incentives to donate more than just the base cost of the game. This is a game that focuses on space ships, so the most obvious conclusion is that the pledge rewards will be space ships. It is absolutely no different from Shenmue 3 asking for $10,000 to make you into an NPC. That also ignores that some of the ships are priced highly because they're supposed to be rare in the game. Only a few dozen people are supposed to be able to have destroyers or Corvettes, they aren't going to offer them for a relatively small amount of money because that defeats the point of them.

Your last sentence really suggests you don't pay much attention to the game, because they stopped increasing the feature list two years ago.

They are delusion.

They aren't getting Star Citizen for console. They might get SQ42 if a publisher agrees to pay up front for a version, not using backer money.

Uhh I'm confused as to why this is your response to my comment. I'm saying a certain group of people get really defensive about this game because it isnt coming to consoles.

Looks like a really bad guess. I've got a 1070 gaming PC, doesn't mean I like scams and crooks. I don't care if it doesn't release on consoles, I think it won't release on my PC either to be honest with you (I hope you're right and I'm wrong though).

Whatever you think about SC, selling virtual ship packs, some for up to $18000 (completionist pack), for an unreleased game is extremely shady business. It's sad if you can't see that yourself anymore. You don't need any conspiracy theory, only common sense.

But hey, I must be too old, I'm the one surely getting crazy and senile. I grew up with Atari 2600, how simple it was at that time. Buy a game, play. No $18000 virtual ships. Nostalgia...

Whether or not you personally fall into that category is besides the point. It certainly exists. Looking at the threads about this game you'll see a lot of what appear to be console only or primarily console gamers being particularity hostile and belligerent about this game and its futre prospects. My comment was in response to why people seem to want this game to fail. You being around for a long time and seeing the way the business has changed over time is great and all and you're certainly allowed to make your own observations but actively rooting for a game (a product of many peoples time and hard work) to fail is petty. You not liking their business model is fine even if it does ring a bit of "old man yells at cloud" but it is still incredibly childish to seemingly root for the failure of something so many people have worked on or contributed to monetarily.

Its just sad seeing so many wishing and hoping that so much time, money and effort would be totally wasted seemingly just so they can say "told you so."

Even still don't mistake this comment as a dismissal of concerns over the development, management and release of this game. There are certainly many things to be wary of or concerned about but that doesn't mean its ok to gleefully celebrate anytime there is some potentially negative news that comes out about it. Doing so says far more about those who do than it does about the game and its development concerns.

That all said, there is alos a large contingent of people who seem very personally invested in this game so it does result in a very fervent and avid dismissal of even the perfectly reasonable concerns many have raised about its development. Thats certainly no better. In the end you wind up with two groups that are incapable of actually discussing things when it comes to this game which turns pretty much every thread I've seen about it into a shouting match of people saying "no you're wrong" instead of actually discussing the game or the story in question. I really don't know what sort of solution there is to be had here other than to attempt to actually have said discussions regardless of the constant noise and bickering that inevitably shows up. But it just seems like it ends up getting drowned out.

MUnited83

For you.
You just used an example of Rockstar not showing enough of a multi-million dollar game that's been delayed as a build up to a point you were trying to make in an attempt to defend what's going on with this game. I still say, regardless of what your purpose was, you are making the most laughably bad comparison, as if this collective team shares such a reputation as Rockstar has built over many years of developing and shipping big products that have delivered and satisfied many, many millions. The comparison is just not a good one.

But it is a pretty good comparison, you just can't seem to be able to read and you completely miss the point of the comparison.

Krisprolls

Banned
Watch this please: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myzibmO0V7k "The Cost of Adding a Single Character to a Fighting Game - Waypoint Pilot Week! "

Come back to me. Now think and or go research how complex CIG wants their ships to be along with the character models themselves. Really think about the effort and the cost.

So you are saying that CIG is not trying to release SC or SQ42? what evidence do you have? do you have something to back that up? or you are being stubborn.

Nothing they released show they try to make the big game they promised from the start.

Only buggy chunks of codes unlinked with one another.

If Chris Roberts really intended to fulfill the promises, he wouldn't constantly extend the features. It's a clear red flag.

Now I still hope you're right and he releases something close to what he promised, I just don't believe in it anymore.

I agree paying that much for a ship is absurd. In this scenario, they wrap it around the crowdfunding which I get. Plenty of games had crazy expensive packages during kickstarter and the like. They have just continued the crowd funding campaign, with the ships as the incentive.

In regards to bold, strongly disagree there. They have said the sale of ships will stop well before launch and people will earn in game, which I think is good.

I just choose not to support the game via 1500$ packages, so they don't affect or bother me.

Nothing they released show they try to make the big game they promised from the start.

If Chris Roberts really intended to fulfill the promises, he wouldn't constantly extend the features. It's a clear red flag.

Now I still hope you're right and he releases something close to what he promised, I just don't believe in it anymore.

They haven't increased the features for 2 years and most of those features were new ships or smaller additions anyway.

Uhh I'm confused as to why this is your response to my comment. I'm saying a certain group of people get really defensive about this game because it isnt coming to consoles.

Whether or not you personally fall into that category is besides the point. It certainly exists. Looking at the threads about this game you'll see a lot of what appear to be console only or primarily console gamers being particularity hostile and belligerent about this game and its futre prospects. My comment was in response to why people seem to want this game to fail. You being around for a long time and seeing the way the business has changed over time is great and all and you're certainly allowed to make your own observations but actively rooting for a game (a product of many peoples time and hard work) to fail is petty. You not liking their business model is fine even if it does ring a bit of "old man yells at cloud" but it is still incredibly childish to seemingly root for the failure of something so many people have worked on or contributed to monetarily.

Its just sad seeing so many wishing and hoping that so much time, money and effort would be totally wasted seemingly just so they can say "told you so."

Even still don't mistake this comment as a dismissal of concerns over the development, management and release of this game. There are certainly many things to be wary of or concerned about but that doesn't mean its ok to gleefully celebrate anytime there is some potentially negative news that comes out about it. Doing so says far more about those who do than it does about the game and its development concerns.

I'm just clarifying what the community mind set is on SC coming to console and expectations. SQ42 is more likely. So i don't get why they would act the way they do.

Dmax3901

I think everyone should just ignore him it's obvious he's not up for an honest, rational discussion. If you stop replying he'll stop posting bullshit. Hopefully.

MUnited83

For you.

"constantly"
mind linking to the last time features have been extended?

StereoVsn

I agree paying that much for a ship is absurd. In this scenario, they wrap it around the crowdfunding which I get. Plenty of games had crazy expensive packages during kickstarter and the like. They have just continued the crowd funding campaign, with the ships as the incentive.

In regards to bold, strongly disagree there. They have said the sale of ships will stop well before launch and people will earn in game, which I think is good.

I just choose not to support the game via 1500$ packages, so they don't affect or bother me.
If the game actually releases, they will absolutely sell ships. If people are willing to spend thousands of $$ on ships, why should they not? Now, hopefully everything can still be earned in game.

That said I have a feeling that this loan indicates some tightness in financial situation and considering that we are at least a year away from Squadron 42, and probably at least 2 from the MMO portion, who knows what's going to happen.

He may be referring to features wanted / planned, that may extend development time.

If the game actually releases, they will absolutely sell ships. If people are willing to spend thousands of $$ on ships, why should they not? Now, hopefully everything can still be earned in game.

That said I have a feeling that this loan indicates some tightness in financial situation and considering that we are at least a year away from Squadron 42, and probably at least 2 from the MMO portion, who knows what's going to happen.

Well money is money, so you may end up being right. I am just going on what they have said.

Also did you read the explanation posted in regards to the loan? Just curious how still reaching that second conclusion at this point in time.You may be more educated on the subject than I though.

Krisprolls

Banned
My comment was in response to why people seem to want this game to fail. You being around for a long time and seeing the way the business has changed over time is great and all and you're certainly allowed to make your own observations but actively rooting for a game (a product of many peoples time and hard work) to fail is petty. You not liking their business model is fine even if it does ring a bit of "old man yells at cloud" but it is still incredibly childish to seemingly root for the failure of something so many people have worked on or contributed to monetarily.

Once again, very few people want "this game to fail". It makes no sense.

They're not on a crusade against you or the Chris Robert cultists. Nobody hates you.

They just don't like this new wave of crooks / scams / microtransactions / never released games. It kills gaming.

Make a game, if it's good, we'll pay and we'll play. But fulfill your promises, don't make us wait 10 years with our money, control your budget, don't go too far on microtransactions and it will be ok ($1 is ok, $18000 is kinda too far).

SC crossed every red line, it's no wonder people are worried or angry.

It's not against you, you know.

When did you ever believe in it? You eat up Derek Smart bs like it's wholesale.

They stop putting in features a long time ago.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Also:

https://www.polygon.com/2014/6/24/5...-votes-to-keep-stretch-goals-as-funding-sails

They're not on a crusade against you or the Chris Robert cultists. Nobody hates you.

They just don't like this new wave of crooks / scams / microtransactions / never released games. It kills gaming.

Make a game, if it's good, we'll pay and we'll play. But fulfill your promises, don't make us wait 10 years with our money, control your budget, don't go too far on microtransactions and it will be ok ($1 is ok, $18000 is kinda too far).

You are unreachable.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

And for people comparing development times to other big games, for most of those games people did not already spend so much as a dime on those games. Gamers by in large spent their first bit of money AFTER a final, finished product was delivered
Yea it's almost like this is a crowdfunded project or something.

First you said it was 8 years, now 10 years....which is it?

And you're seriously comparing ships that cost thousands and an entire team to make, with complex gameplay features and are supposed to be rare, to $1 microtransactions?

Krisprolls

Banned
They are not a full game, but they're proof they're working on something. Also, you don't hire people like Mark Hamil, Gary Oldman, Gillian Anderson and Andy Serkis just to scam money out of people, you'd hire no-name actors, it would be muuuch cheaper.

That's definitely wrong. If you want to people to dream, you hire the best actors. You don't care about money, it's theirs, not yours. You'll definitely make more that way in the end.

You wouldn't be a good scammer.

That's definitely wrong. If you want to people to dream, you hire the best actors. You don't care about money, it's theirs, not yours. You'll definitely make more that way in the end.

You wouldn't be a good scammer.

You are going to be believe that CIG is scamming people. Until the day you die huh? no counter argument is going to change that.

MUnited83

For you.

Again your understanding of basic math is terrible. Game hasn't been in development for even close to "10 years"
"our money"? You didn't give a single cent for the project, it isn't your damn money. And even if it was, you would have had a shitload of opportunities to get a refund. Your precious Shenmue 3 has had similarly hugely expensive content available for money as well. And oh crap, it got delayed! Goddamn crooks! Never releasing their game!

Micael

First you said it was 8 years, now 10 years....which is it?

And you're seriously comparing ships that cost thousands and an entire team to make, with complex gameplay features and are supposed to be rare, to $1 microtransactions?

He said it had been in development for 8 years, not that it was going to take 8 years to release, then again at this point he has said so many things that are verifiable false, that it is hard to keep track of it all, got to keep digging I guess.

He said it had been in development for 8 years, not that it was going to take 8 years to release, then again at this point he has said so many things that are verifiable false, that it is hard to keep track of it all, got to keep digging I guess.

It doesn't matter either way what he meant, he's wrong regardless. The game hasn't been in development for anywhere near that long. Considering the game is entirely crowdfunded the development time and years to release are pretty much the same thing.

Krisprolls

Banned
It doesn't matter either way what he meant, he's wrong regardless. The game hasn't been in development for anywhere near that long. Considering the game is entirely crowdfunded the development time and years to release are pretty much the same thing.

Yeah whatever, you get the point. It's far too long in my opinion for a crowdfunded game.

Micael

Sure not disagreeing, in fact I made that point in the start of the last page, just pointing out that technically he hadn't said what you thought he had said.
Although technically speaking no way to prove the game will or won't take 10 years to complete, you can definitely prove the game hasn't been in development for 8 years though, since the kickstarter was launched on October 2012, which is a huge difference.

Krisprolls

Banned
Sure not disagreeing, in fact I made that point in the start of the last page, just pointing out that technically he hadn't said what you thought he had said.
Although technically speaking no way to prove the game will or won't take 10 years to complete, you can definitely prove the game hasn't been in development for 8 years though, since the kickstarter was launched on October 2012, which is a huge difference.

Yeah, ok, it's still a very long time.

Long dev time is ok if you don't take people's money first. If they pay only when they get the game, it could last 10 years and nobody has anything to say.

But here they have your money so I don't think it's the same.

Crowdfunded projects should have a limited scope and budget. Otherwise, the risk you get nothing in the end is too big. And you can be tempted to constantly ask for more money.

After someone ends up being quoted repeatedly through a thread it becomes a matter of wanting to appear consistent in our words and actions rather than what it is being discussed. Simple human psychology, and people go to great lengths to accomplish consistency with our prior behavior even if it includes sayings or doing things that are irrational. A person doesn't want to appear like they are flipped hence admiring they are wrong, so it ends up being about defending one's character rather than the topic at hand.

Snakey125

I haven't followed Star Citizen myself much, but listening to the rambling of a man who should've quit the industry long ago is pretty bad.

Yeah whatever, you get the point. It's far too long in my opinion for a crowdfunded game.

You think 4 years is too long, which is no more time (and is actually less in most cases) than the usual game development for something even slightly resembling this sort of thing, and even then that's 4 years for more typical games without any of the ambition or focus on graphics and immersion?

As i posted before:

Star Citizen has been in development for about 5 years. The Witcher 3 took 5 years, GTA V took 6 years, Skyrim took 4 years, Mass Effect Andromeda took 6 years...here's some helpful charts:

So how is the usual development time "far too long"? It seems either you have no idea how long game development takes and are just spouting any sort of 'criticism' of the game, you have some weird double standard for Star Citizen development times, or you're just trolling.

Krisprolls

Banned
You think 4 years is too long, which is no more time than the usual game development for something even slightly resembling this sort of thing, and even then that would be for a more typcial game without all the ambition or focus on graphics and immersion?

As i posted before:

So it seems either you have no idea how long game development takes and are just spouting any sort of 'criticism' of the game, you have some weird double standard for Star Citizen development times, or you're just trolling.

Come on, what don't you understand ?

In my opinion, a CROWDFUNDED game shouldn't take that long. They got your money.

I know dev times. A project like SC simply shouldn't be a crowdfunded game. That's just not the good model when budgets are huge.

Some of the guys that have said there is zero point replying are still doing so; you are not going to change his or others stance.

As frustrating as it is to watch a couple ignorant people spout garbage.

Zambayoshi

I haven't followed Star Citizen myself much, but listening to the rambling of a man who should've quit the industry long ago is pretty bad.

Chris did quit the industry - he went off to produce films. Before Star Citizen he hadn't worked in video games for almost 10 years. Goodness knows why he decided to make a comeback...

Krisprolls

Banned
Usual game development time is now "far too long" I guess

Big games shouldn't be crowdfunded, that's what it means when I say that.

Dev time may be long, as long as they don't get your money first and don't ask for more money. So as long as it's not crowdfunded.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Come on, what don't you understand ?

In my opinion, a CROWDFUNDED game shouldn't take that long. They got your money.

I know dev times. A project like SC simply shouldn't be a crowdfunded game. That's just not the good model when budgets are huge.

If people are willing to pay then it's all on them.

Top Bottom