• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
I'm still looking to buy a universal joystick so I can try out a HOMAS setup. I think it might give the best advantage of all of them.

I'm quite happy with my t16000m. I'm extremely left-handed when it comes to joystick use so I'm pretty limited when it comes to ambidextrous joysticks. It is really accurate, but the buttons (apart from the trigger and the hat) aren't so hot.

Irobot82

I'm quite happy with my t16000m. I'm extremely left-handed when it comes to joystick use. So I'm pretty limited when it comes to ambidextrous joysticks. It is really accurate, but the buttons (apart from the trigger and the hat) aren't so hot.

That's what I was looking at getting. Just to test the waters and see how I like it with a mouse for my turrets.

Zalusithix

You know, I just got to wondering... What if instead of adding a small trackball to the stick for gimbals, they added something akin to the steam controller's haptic pad? Ditch the vast majority of the hats and buttons at the top thumb cluster and instead have a pad with function overloading possible via buttons elsewhere on the stick. It would be far more accurate than a small little ball, and with overloading could perform other secondary functions.

Hell, I'm halfway tempted to rip apart a steam controller and print a mock up grip with a pad in it. It's so bizarre it might just work. Figuring out how to deal with the ribbon interconnect between the pad and the controller board would be a pain though.

Burny

I'm still looking to buy a universal joystick so I can try out a HOMAS setup. I think it might give the best advantage of all of them.

Hands on mouse and stick? The stick is for lateral thrust I assume and the mouse for pitch and yaw? Roll on the stick's twist axis? Throttle on the mouse wheel?

I only tried to get to grips with roll on the twist axis briefly in Arena Commander and it drove me insane because somehow a roll was always added when I tried to yaw with the stick. Not sure if that was the X52 Pro's twist axis registering.

Aiming for HOTAM+Pedals for roll here. :p

Zalusithix

Twist sticks aren't ideal. They're a value solution for those without pedal setups, or for those that can't actually fit pedals into their setup. It's far too easy to get the twist axis to register during normal X/Y movement.

tuxfool

Banned
Twist sticks aren't ideal. They're a value solution for those without pedal setups, or for those that can't actually fit pedals into their setup. It's far too easy to get the twist axis to register during normal X/Y movement.
I grew up with twist sticks so when I finally tried a system where the third axis was on a separate device I couldn't come to grips with it.

Zalusithix

I grew up with twist sticks so when I finally tried a system where the third axis was on a separate device I couldn't come to grips with it.

I grew up with them too. (Well, at least in my teenage years.) I couldn't afford a full HOTAS + pedal setup, so it was just the stick by itself. I hated the twist aspect though. A necessary evil, but one that I was always cursing when it resulted in unintended actions. Pedals took a bit of getting used to, but they're ultimately more ergonomic and don't suffer from twist stick drawbacks.

Daedardus

Don't you worry guys, I'm going to work on a spinal cord extension. Appropriate feedback will make the ship feel an actual part of your body. It's the real future of control mechanisms.

Shy

I collapsed Thursday and had to spend the night at ER, totally missing the stream. Guess my body wasn't ready :p.
Does anyone have a good recap of what happened or a hub where I can read stuff? Gonna spend my time recovering getting back up to speed with the game :).
*jesus hope you're too ill, get better soon.<3

*Really sorry it's taken me long to post.
Don't you worry guys, I'm going to work on a spinal cord extension. Appropriate feedback will make the ship feel an actual part of your body. It's the real future of control mechanisms.
Is it gonna be like existenz. ?

Unwanted feedback with that device =
Doctor-octopus-spiderman-2.jpg

or this

9nXWkSI.jpg

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
There might be a PTU update with some crash fixes coming up tonight. They say they're just doing some last minute checks, no ETA yet.

Raticus79

Well, that's excellent news. I'll try to dig into it again after work.

Edit: should be ready in a few minutes now. This chat makes it hard to copy/paste properly.

"We will open the new servers in a few minutes"
"It's now in DevOps hands. They are firing up the engines!"
"Alright. Patch Notes are uploaded where they need to be. Incoming switch flip!"

Zalusithix

Edit: should be ready in a few minutes now. This chat makes it hard to copy/paste properly.

"We will open the new servers in a few minutes"
"It's now in DevOps hands. They are firing up the engines!"
"Alright. Patch Notes are uploaded where they need to be. Incoming switch flip!"

*Switch is flipped.
*Servers crash and burn.
;)

Rephin

It's ok, people are still crashing within 5 minutes or so. They said they have another patch in the works based on the new diagnostics - maybe for tomorrow.

I wish I got in for even 5 minutes. I patched my client and tried to get in before I left for work 3 times, and twice the game crashed trying to load, and once I got a server timeout with the uncloseable window before loading into the station. Awesome, lol.

MikeDown

Banned
It's ok, people are still crashing within 5 minutes or so. They said they have another patch in the works based on the new diagnostics - maybe for tomorrow.

Rumored Patch Notes said:
Fixed an issue where pledges were slowing down by having a sale.
Fixed an issue where good will was being generated by selling more and more 'limited edition' jpegs.
Fixed an issue where people were experiencing 'gameplay' by increasing crash frequency.
Fixed an issue where possible fun was being had.
Fixed an issue where sensible concerns were being raised by shitcanning them to the Concern Forum LOL.
Fixed an issue where people were thinking about stopping playing Elite Dangerous by releasing 2.0.
Fixed an issue where Chris was feeling lonely by Tweeting DickWulf.
Fixed a number of Ben's chairs.
Fixed my teeth, been promising myself that for years, thanks backers!
Fixed an issue where issues were happening by not putting them in pacth notes anymore because gently caress it who cares.
Fixed an issue where framerates were sometimes hitting double figures by trying to put more code into the engine.
forgive my saltyness

Rephin

I really dislike the fact that I am paying $20 a month and didn't even get a PTU invite.

You probably don't want a PTU invite right now. You really can't do much of anything until they fix the client. They need to work these kinks out before they send out more PTU invites, because a client that crashes in an average of 5 minutes isn't exactly a good look for the average person wanting to see what the fuss is about, and adding more people into the mix will probably complicate things further. Give them time to smooth it out first. There are a fairly good number of reports filed in the PTU issue council already with only 6000 people reporting, and they'll be sure to look into these things.

Blizzard

Banned
still waiting on my refund... :( been over a month and a half
will be contacting PayPal tomorrow
A brief Google search suggests PayPal has a 45-day period after which they won't consider refund requests -- has that changed? I think I got burned by that precisely once, on an eBay item where the seller kept asking for more time and then vanished once the period was up. No, I was probably not very smart. :p

Zalusithix

I really dislike the fact that I am paying $20 a month and didn't even get a PTU invite.

The subscription has nothing to do with the PTU though. Even if we did base access on money spent, I highly doubt the servers can handle every subscriber & concierge backer at this point. So what then? Start going from the top spenders down? It just creates a mess when you start doing stuff like that.

Raticus79

I wish I got in for even 5 minutes. I patched my client and tried to get in before I left for work 3 times, and twice the game crashed trying to load, and once I got a server timeout with the uncloseable window before loading into the station. Awesome, lol.

When you get back, try deleting the stuff in your \test\user folder and get the launcher to verify your files. It might not have picked up the full patch. I haven't had any luck getting into the game in the last hour either though.

Rephin

When you get back, try deleting the stuff in your \test\user folder and get the launcher to verify your files. It might not have picked up the full patch. I haven't had any luck getting into the game in the last hour either though.

Yeah, I had done that after reading the patch notes. The crashes came after doing so. >:

Hopefully I can get in when people are at school/work tomorrow morning.

Raticus79

Yeah, I had done that after reading the patch notes. The crashes came after doing so. >:

Hopefully I can get in when people are at school/work tomorrow morning.

Ah, probably just the same server trouble I was having then. Yeah, it'll probably be easier during the day.

---

Finally got through part of a mission. Here's a video I took of repairing one of the arrays:
https://youtu.be/__nqaVa3Qh4
You just have to be in a certain area inside to trigger the checkpoint at the moment, no fancy repair animation yet.
Found out the hard way that EVA thrusters are a bit slow to zero out, lol. Got the hang of it eventually.

Burny

forgive my saltyness

Eh, you're pretty much spot on where I'm concerned. You forgot one thing however: Above all - it's really unprecedented and cool and we think you're really gonna like it when you see it! In the meanwhile though, watch us drag our mugs in front of a camera for several hours a week while we don't show you actual game footage, but tell you how ridiculously cool it's gonna be!

I definitely won't ask for a refund though, because I still like the vision and don't think that having to refund backing money will be doing the project any good.

Zalusithix

In the meanwhile though, watch us drag our mugs in front of a camera for several hours a week while we don't show you actual game footage, but tell you how ridiculously cool it's gonna be!
Subscribers are paying for them to pump out content on a weekly basis. That content is a mix of banter, in game stuff, and future plans. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it. (Pretty sure you don't anyhow.) You can't really complain about its existence though.

tuxfool

Banned
Subscribers are paying for them to pump out content on a weekly basis. That content is a mix of banter, in game stuff, and future plans. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch it. (Pretty sure you don't anyhow.) You can't really complain about its existence though.

I was about to say. Honestly, I'd rather have more information than less. I can also maintain a level of perspective over the things that they say. So what if they say it is cool? They think so, and I can take it at face value and withold judgement until it appears, or doesn't.

Daedardus

I'm up to snuff with the latest news. Also feeling a lot better now. Alpha 2.0 is looking pretty good. Don't think I'm going to pledge for a new ship though, I'm going on holiday to China which will set me back a huge amount already.

I do wonder how Derek Smart is coping now. Reading his blog makes it seem:

91sn32Q.jpg

Dictator93 or mercenar1e, do you have some great screenshots? I'm having trouble finding high quality ones.

jaaz

I just had to share.

I can't fly it yet...but I love my baby.

Under%20my%20ship.jpg

Beautiful. I absolutely love the Lancer. I now have 2--the MAX and the DUR, plus a 315p. Although it's tempting to melt one of them and get a bigger ship, I can't bring myself to choose between the two. So whynotboth.gif

Rephin

I'm still having a lot of crashing issues. Sometimes I'm not even able to get into my ship before the client goes down. I've been able to go to a station and engage more pirates than usual, though, so that's something.

Raticus79

I'm up to snuff with the latest news. Also feeling a lot better now. Alpha 2.0 is looking pretty good. Don't think I'm going to pledge for a new ship though, I'm going on holiday to China which will set me back a huge amount already.

I do wonder how Derek Smart is coping now. Reading his blog makes it seem:

91sn32Q.jpg

Dictator93 or mercenar1e, do you have some great screenshots? I'm having trouble finding high quality ones.

CmSzXWv.png

Regarding quality captures, I did a 4k Youtube video just panning around the station and stuff: https://youtu.be/zt0zRDM2KWU

and reposting that 1080p video from last page where I actually got through the first part of a mission: https://youtu.be/__nqaVa3Qh4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom