• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

So I tried this out a little while ago. Really like the feel of the combat. Only had basic laser beam gun dealios but even then just flying around and shooting was pretty entertaining. The first person view with the ship as a hud is fantastic. Really cool stuff.

The hanger however just made me feel sick. The head bobbing and animations like getting on the ship, moving to your seat, and going to bed just did not mix with me. Can't imagine using a rift and doing that. Is this an issue anyone else has? Losing control to go through a few seconds of animation while the camera moves around just doesn't feel good.

MrBig

The hanger however just made me feel sick. The head bobbing and animations like getting on the ship, moving to your seat, and going to bed just did not mix with me. Can't imagine using a rift and doing that. Is this an issue anyone else has? Losing control to go through a few seconds of animation while the camera moves around just doesn't feel good.

That's not part of the design. WIP first-peson body system.

So I tried this out a little while ago. Really like the feel of the combat. Only had basic laser beam gun dealios but even then just flying around and shooting was pretty entertaining. The first person view with the ship as a hud is fantastic. Really cool stuff.

There are special animation considerations they have when you're in Rift mode. Head bobbing isn't present when in the Rift, movement is decoupled from the view and your head isn't rotationally tied to the camera when getting in or out of a cockpit either (or any other character driven animations).

Ephemeris

The AMD thing went live a few hours ago. Already redeemed for Star Citizen, Alien Isolation and Sniper Elite 3.

SC and Alien pretty much tell me the same thing since they're not available:

Star Citizen - Star Citizen

Congratulations on reserving Star Citizen! The code will be delivered closer to the game release. We will update your account and notify you as soon as the game code is available.

Star Citizen Key: Coming Soon

box.star-citizen.png

I have some other codes, debating whether to start a small fleet of red 'stangs or try and trade LOL

Zabojnik

The first one they released in 4K and with a decent bitrate was the Hornet commercial. The 4K link doesn't seem to be working anymore tho. I'm surprised more people haven't complained about this. It's a small thing in the grand scheme of all things SC, of course, but that's precisely why they should look into it. YouTube compression is fucking ghastly these days.

Where's mah Phoenix Luxe.tv like commercial?

3 days without news. They've got to be saving a few things to release at the same time as v0.9. If only they also did another Khartu-Al sale...

Tried to see how this game performs on a laptop.

10fps on low

auqm7Fd.gif

Yeah this makes my 3GB 580 and 2600k go under 30fps on max. It's not optimized but it also is going to take a whole ton of power to run even when it is. A laptop was never gonna do great, especially if it doesn't have at least a recent high end graphics chip.

Yeah this makes my 3GB 580 and 2600k go under 30fps on max. It's not optimized but it also is going to take a whole ton of power to run even when it is. A laptop was never gonna do great, especially if it doesn't have at least a recent high end graphics chip.
It just means I'll have to wait a year to make a good PC until I can decide to play this since there won't be a console release :p Even if it's super early, don't think I'll get to a playable framerate with this game on release.

I can run Witcher 2 and Sleeping Dogs high, fine. Crysis 1 and 2 tanked. I think my graphics card (ati mobility 5650) just doesn't like Cryengine.

Are you guys thinking we'll get loaner ships for the races?

Nope. Race with what you got!

It's super early so things like progression aren't in, so if you're in an Aurora and go up against an M50 or 350r, prepare to get smoked (unless you're in the death races and are better at pew pew'ing than they are).

Skyzard

Banned
Nope. Race with what you got!

It's super early so things like progression aren't in, so if you're in an Aurora and go up against an M50 or 350r, prepare to get smoked (unless you're in the death races and are better at pew pew'ing than they are).

Ahh, well as long as I'll get to partake...same as the arena commander, thanks.

Wow, that interior is flash! I'm not a fan of the comparatively sparse look of the Phoenix interior, this looks a lot nicer
....and more expensive!

Can't wait for the constellation races as a full grid tries to logjam their way through those regulation sized race gates. :D

Same! Can't wait to shove my fat constellation ass through those rings :p I wonder if you could launch the snub fighter during a race as well? That would be pretty funny.

That glass ceiling on the 890 jump is drool worthy. I wouldn't mind just being a passenger on one of these and take a tour of cool things while in the Rift.

Great monthly update in general. While I know they won't release SQ42 stuff before it's actually polished, I hope they still provide us some cool teasers along the way so we can see how it's progressing (without getting spoiled).

The 890 Jump looks nice, but seeing the interior it feels a lot less homey. It seems more a cruise liner than a private yacht. By contrast, the Phoenix feels like a high class apartment or condo with entirely too many chairs (they really should remove the bar and merge it into the kitchen) and so more appropriate for a captain to call home along with his crew.

So for the role of selling rides to VIPs the 890 Jump will probably be better as you can carry more people at once, but personally I like the Phoenix more for actually being MY home.

The 890 Jump looks nice, but seeing the interior it feels a lot less homey. It seems more a cruise liner than a private yacht. By contrast, the Phoenix feels like a high class apartment or condo with entirely too many chairs (they really should remove the bar and merge it into the kitchen) and so more appropriate for a captain to call home along with his crew.

So for the role of selling rides to VIPs the 890 Jump will probably be better as you can carry more people at once, but personally I like the Phoenix more for actually being MY home.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference; to me it's the Phoenix which looks kinda 'industrial' in its luxury at the moment - too white and clinical. That said, I imagine once it's actually populated with assets - screens, shelves full of bottles, artifacts and what have you, it would look a lot more homely.

phoenixyz

What the heck? They are still redacting Illfonic in the monthly report? Is this now starting to become some kind of running gag? :D

What the heck? They are still redacting Illfonic in the monthly report? Is this now starting to become some kind of running gag? :D

It's been a running gag for ages. People at the SC forums have known who the devs were for quite a long time now. I doubt it's going to be that way forever though, I think Illfonic will get credit after PAX Aus when the FPS is shown fully. I guess it's just a matter of trying to keep it out of the headlines until proven since they're not the most stellar devs in record.

Also, now that my X52 Pro is finally here, give me my Murray Cup racing Dammit! :p

phoenixyz

It's been a running gag for ages. People at the SC forums have known who the devs were for quite a long time now. I doubt it's going to be that way forever though, I think Illfonic will get credit after PAX Aus when the FPS is shown fully. I guess it's just a matter of trying to keep it out of the headlines until proven since they're not the most stellar devs in record.
Yes, I am aware. It's been an open secret for months, but I thought CR openly thanking them at Gamescom was some kind of reveal.

Yeah, I think the reason behind it is mostly
[REDACTED]
. But also a bit of
[REDACTED]
Ah thanks, how could I forget about
[REDACTED]

Zabojnik

Eh. It's OK.

I do really like the companywide progress updates, though. That should have been in Wingman's Hangar from the beginning.

Ben and Sandi are still so awkward, it makes me nervous watching them. But yes, on the whole AtV has come on leaps and bounds.

The show could use a couple of professional hosts for sure, as long as it's not the you-know-which-guy, but I really don't feel like complaining. It's admirable that they're putting so much effort into the community stuff, even if it comes off as semi-amateurish sometimes. As long as they keep improving it, it's fine with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom