• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's off-shoot Squadron 42 probably won't make 2017 either

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
tenor.gif
Hopefully this kid has taken over from trump

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, I'm not a CEO.

I never read their tax statements.

Done by a 3rd-party.

Not taking resources away from the development team, thankfully.

No ones stopping you, you pretend like ED had a perfect development cycle?

They had many missed deadlines and they charges and overcharged for their game so much. There's still nothing to do other than haul cargo around. I'm curious to see what developments will be made long-term.

Oh I agree, there was definite mismanagement for sure. But I think it's become quite stabilized now. Wish it was this stable from the get-go. To be fair, CR did build a studio from nothing and has made great games in the past, that's where the trust came from initially.

Though there's a ton of valid criticism as well.

That being said, I do look forward to see how SQ42 progress is.

I don't think that's it, CR has managed large studios before.

The problem is making two AAA games with a studio this small doesn't work, I think it was a bit greedy to do both at once.

I'm glad that Erin Roberts ended the feature creep though.

And most SC bashers have 0 idea of what they're talking about.

Integration and development are not the same thing.

Not as a "Major" resource no, I do not think this is the case. It's all conjecture, we don't know who or what is working on it. All we know is it's being developed by a 3rd party.

Also it was part of a milestone, it's not a random development they through in.

Not a fan of the carrot on a stick marketing myself.

In all honesty I don't like Sandi's marketing style.

How do you know that?

Maybe the company cut a deal to get a lot of eyes/publicity on the product? It's not the first nor the last time it can be done, neither of us know - why bitch about it?

You were out the moment you stated something you knew nothing about as fact.

I never said free, but discounted, it could be expensive, I don't know.

But I can't state something as a fact without having the proper Intel. The money I put in I don't mind losing. Whether it's a success or failure.

Cutlists, lol.

Sounds like a clown I know.

"And they will end with 0."

As if you need more convincing, I have nothing to say to you.

This is definitely someone who is not at all defensive.

Remember the good old days of April, 2015, when they were so close to being done they announced that the game (Squadron 42 episode 1) would be done by the end of the year?

I miss those days...

A backer was excited till 2015 end like others, lost interest after that and seeing as how no mans sky turned out... yeah sitting out on this one.

I said the same thing last year in the star citizen thread about 3.0 and Squadron 42 but they waved it off accusing me of being a Derek Smart follower lol

Those people have absolutely no credibility left and everyone knows it, that's why they bring up Derek Smart. Deflect like their life depends on it because they can't admit they were wrong, or that they were simply too emotionally and/or financially invested in this thing to see clearly.

I'm more than happy to wait if it yields better results. My gaming schedule is packed to the brim as it is. That being said, it's undeniably slow in it's progress.

Remember the good old days of April, 2015, when they were so close to being done they announced that the game (Squadron 42 episode 1) would be done by the end of the year?

I miss those days...

You misremember the past.

Everyone knew that SQ42 wasn't going to be ready until 2018*, CIG definitely didn't lie nor promise anything because everyone knows game development takes time.

Jokes aside, I find the title of this thread to be part of the cycle: we aren't guaranteed that SQ42 isn't going to be launched in December during Christmas.

WalTech

Those people have absolutely no credibility left and everyone knows it, that's why they bring up Derek Smart. Deflect like their life depends on it because they can't admit they were wrong, or that they were simply too emotionally and/or financially invested in this thing to see clearly.

To be honest, I'm surprised it took a whole four pages before "The Smart" was invoked. Usually someone is accused of being Derek Smart, a Goon, or both right away. Maybe soon the apologists will realize that more than just one person/group can find fault with some of CIG's decisions and practices.

iHaunter

You lost every ounce of credibility your post had.

So the SQ42 demo is missing another show? I remember last year when I read about this amazing, hour long, campaign presentation that just missed getting demo'd because it was a couple weeks behind in the polish state or something along those lines.

I'm fine with delays and all that but at this point it feels like I'm being jerked around.

Syril

Does anyone else think it's weird that there's an entire convention devoted to a company that hasn't actually released anything yet?

DieH@rd

Banned
The ammount of content that Star Citizen devs post on their YT channel is staggering.

They are doing tons of stuff, and I'm in no rush to play Squadron 42. Just make it good.

anothertech

Dam, I’ll be playing this and Cyberpunk on my ps5 in a few years. What a time to be alive it will be.

Nothing surprising here. Ppl can relax.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
We should place bets on whether Star Citizen or the Final Fantasy 7 remake will be done first.

jman2050

The thing that gets me is that yeah, games take a long time to make and it's not particularly unusual for games to miss their deadlines by months and even years but this is not an established studio with industry credibility and the capital to support continued development of their marquee title, this is a nothing studio that has done nothing and has no source of money to put towards development of their game other than continued patronage of their fans and whatever investment firms they were able to squeeze money out of.

Regardless of how it seems sometimes when looking at their ridiculous crowdfunded amounts, CIG does not have unlimited money and unlimited resources. Every extra year of incompetent directionless waffling that results in work that is either thrown out or woefully inadequate for the parameters of the project is just more money thrown down the drain that will likely never be recouped because the earnings potential of their game continually drops as interest continues waning. And there WILL be a breaking point where they simply run out of money and if there's no game to be had when that happens then the collapse will be swift and merciless.

atpbx

The thing that gets me is that yeah, games take a long time to make and it's not particularly unusual for games to miss their deadlines by months and even years but this is not an established studio with industry credibility and the capital to support continued development of their marquee title, this is a nothing studio that has done nothing and has no source of money to put towards development of their game other than continued patronage of their fans and whatever investment firms they were able to squeeze money out of.

Regardless of how it seems sometimes when looking at their ridiculous crowdfunded amounts, CIG does not have unlimited money and unlimited resources. Every extra year of incompetent directionless waffling that results in work that is either thrown out or woefully inadequate for the parameters of the project is just more money thrown down the drain that will likely never be recouped because the earnings potential of their game continually drops as interest continues waning. And there WILL be a breaking point where they simply run out of money and if there's no game to be had when that happens then the collapse will be swift and merciless.

You are confused, they have already earned the money.

People have paid up doesn’t matter how many copies of the game they sell so long as what it ever they produce costs less than they crowd fund.

So people haven’t bought in yet, want to wait and see, all irrelevant, because it’s already a huge success.

jman2050

You are confused, they have already earned the money.

People have paid up doesn't matter how many copies of the game they sell so long as what it ever they produce costs less than they crowd fund.

So people haven't bought in yet, want to wait and see, all irrelevant, because it's already a huge success.

I mean I'm working under the good faith assumption that they're actually spending the money they've received to actually develop the game to the best of their ability and not just pocketing most of the money they've received while throwing out whatever barely functional trash they can conjure up with the remainder to placate their fanbase like some more cynical people have been speculating for ages now.

So uh your scenario doesn't really make things look any better?

Instro

...or which gets canceled first...

I would imagine they would find some partner to infuse more money/buy them out if it really came down to it. They have their hooks in so many people already, so much notoriety, and tons of potential for GaaS, I'm sure someone out there will be interested in getting SC to completion.

Sulik2

I can't wait to read the Jason Scheirer piece on the development of this game once it finally crashes and burns.

Chipopo

Banned
I am officially getting off this train via refund if this misses 2017 as well.

I keep saying I'm going to stay on the train and wait after target date after target date is missed.

I'm really over this one, bros. I'll put my refund towards Frontier's Elite Dangerous skins or something. At least they have an actual product with a growth cycle I can see, understand and reasonably rely on when it comes to delivery.

You may have already missed the boat on this, as of last week many people have started reporting refund denial letters. This is in contrast to the past year or so, where CIG had been (for the most part) helpful and conciliatory.

What could this shift in policy 4 days before the announcement of another delay say about the status of Star Citizen? Who knows! But I'm sure it's Good For Star Citizen, somehow, and anyone who thinks otherwise obviously Doesn't Understand Game Development.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I said the same thing last year in the star citizen thread about 3.0 and Squadron 42 but they waved it off accusing me of being a Derek Smart follower lol

Well, to be fair, Derek Smart has produced more entertaining content in the last 5 years than Chris Roberts has. All of it was free for the spectators, too.

Gabe Newell is a blacksmith now? No wonder Half-Life 3 was never released!

Avid knife fan with plenty of disposable income, blacksmithing is pretty much inevitable.

Does anyone else think it's weird that there's an entire convention devoted to a company that hasn't actually released anything yet?

Happens all the time when the people making the product are notorious or well known, Kojima's new company, 343i before Halo 4, Cliff B's new company during development, etc
You see threads about ex-_____ developers forming new companies rather often.

El_Cinefilo

Happens all the time when the people making the product are notorious or well known, Kojima's new company, 343i before Halo 4, Cliff B's new company during development, etc

They don't have their own conventions though do they? Either way I'm hoping there's some documentary maker covering all this going to cons and interviewing staff. Would be fascinating to see when it's all over

I'd love to see what Kojima-Con would look like

Syril means a physical convention, so the equivalent would be Kojimacon, or CliffyBeacon which I don't think exists yet.

joecanada

This game is coming out alongside FFVII remake on PS5 Pro, the PC version is going to get cancelled.

This post just made me remember that they said it was never coming out on consoles due to lack of power . I bought a gtx1060.

By the time this releases we will have consoles that will probably stomp my pc.

HyGogg

Banned
The most I've ever expected from this project is that maybe they'll eventually get Squadron 42 out. But given how little we've actually seen of it, I'm thinking even 2018 seems very optimistic.

Oh yeah, from the Clang Kickstarter. That took a long time, but it sure was worth it, right?

Maledict

You may have already missed the boat on this, as of last week many people have started reporting refund denial letters. This is in contrast to the past year or so, where CIG had been (for the most part) helpful and conciliatory.

What could this shift in policy 4 days before the announcement of another delay say about the status of Star Citizen? Who knows! But I'm sure it's Good For Star Citizen, somehow, and anyone who thinks otherwise obviously Doesn't Understand Game Development.

That response literally says they can’t look at his request for a refund because they are busy developing 3.0 . From a customer services rep. That’s so laughably dumb and a lie that it’s painful to read.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

That looks more like a delay to me than a rejection. "Please wait a bit longer and maybe 3.0 will change your mind. BTW we won't be processing anything until then for that reason", basically. From other threads on that sub, it's been common to have to persist through various hoops. 3.0 is just the topic of the day.

Top Bottom