• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's off-shoot Squadron 42 probably won't make 2017 either

David___

Banned
This is delayed by 4 years! 4! 5 if we acknowledge that it's not coming in 2018, which CIG seem to with their statements that the game has gotten less further along.

Since Star Citizen was announced:
  • The Wii U was released and discontinued
  • The PS4, PS4 Pro, Xbox One have been released, the Scorpio will be out too
  • The entire Survival Games Genre has come into existence
  • Dota 2 and the entire MOBA boom happened
  • Hearthstone and the entire digital CCG boom happened
  • Destiny, all its expansions and Destiny 2 have released
-Amazon bought Twitch, made their own engine based off of CryEngine, and started making their own games

Profanity

People don't get it.

They didn't start with $161,000,000. They didn't start with the 300+ employees they have now. They started with 8.

citizenemployees.jpg

On the flip side of this coin, how much do you think it costs to pay 300+ employees a year?

iHaunter

thats fucking insane

also lol at the defense of delays when i didn't pay a single dime for persona or last guardian till it launched

I don't recommend anyone pay anything until it's released.

I just did to support the development.

On the flip side of this coin, how much do you think it costs to pay 300+ employees a year?

Probably 12-16 million a year, they probably pay lower than average due to it being a start-up. They have made some bad investments in the past though, I forget the name of that company that did their FPS- messed it up so badly they had to redo it themselves costing even more money.

I think they should've stuck with one thing, their funds/studio isn't big enough for 2 AAA titles. I think SQ42 first would've been smart, then Star Citizen second afterwards while you work on SQ42 Episode II and have the pipeline to make it easier.

Vash63

$20-40 million if I was to guess. Hard to know their salaries and overhead specifically. It does make you wonder why they'd hire so much staff if the whole thing is a scam and they aren't making a game though.

Edit:
I should reinstall star citizen one of these days. There's probably at least something to do in it now.

There isn't. Wait for 3.0.

faridmon

They can take their time if they release what they are promising to do, Good games take time.

Most people don't realise (which is shocking) but most games are announce when they are 50% complete. No one announces anything when it only have concept design.

The problem is, Star Citizen appears to be in longer development cycle because we have been following it at 0%

"dude" this is normal for an MMO (and SC+SQ42 are two games).

and in 2012 it wasn't even in full production (or production at all, they had to build a team and offices first)

People don't get it.

They didn't start with $161,000,000. They didn't start with the 300+ employees they have now. They started with 8.

None of those include the various outsourcing studios they made use of, which included:
  • Illfonic
  • Behaviour
  • Massive Black
  • Void Alpha
  • CGBot
  • Confetti Special FX
  • Streamline Studios
  • Cubic Motion
  • Moon Collider
  • 3lateral
  • Atomahawk Design
  • Armory Studios
  • And now Faceware
They've had over 200 staff for 4 years and nothing to show for it, the last footage of SQ42 was in 2015 and looked like shit and the last showing of the PU showed them unable to do a simple fetch quest without every stage of it breaking.

RedRum

Banned
The defense of this game baffles me at times, but I can understand people putting their money down and hoping for a decent return.

Turing a blind eye to how horrible this project has been managed is crazy though.

Outrun

They can take their time if they release what they are promising to do, Good games take time.

Most people don't realise (which is shocking) but most games are announce when they are 50% complete. No one announces anything when it only have concept design.

The problem is, Star Citizen appears to be in longer development cycle because we have been following it at 0%

The problem is that, until recently, CIG could not make the deadlines that they themselves set.

That has nothing to do with people not understanding game development.

To their credit, CIG does not declare any set dates now.

This is what happens when you focus on the gloss and shine of your facade of a game without trying to make a game first. But don't worry I'm sure they'll have a dozen more ships for you to buy and a few more CGI commercials.

iHaunter

The defense of this game baffles me at times, but I can understand people putting their money down and hoping for a decent return.

Turing a blind eye to how horrible this project has been managed is crazy though.

No one is turning a blind eye to anything, they've made many mistakes, as others have mentioned.

RubberJhonny just has a giant hate-boner for some reason.

It took 7 years from announcement to release and it was delayed numerous times. Also, why would a games development change because it's crowd funded? Are you actually saying they need to force shit out unfinished or compromise the content just to make the date? The development of a game shouldn't be altered because of the way it was funded. People who pay for a game expect a good game, not something quickly churned out so the company can claim they delivered their promise.

Yes. You compromise the fucking content. All devs have to do it. The scope of this project has blew up way out of the league of what was initially promised. It's called feature creep, but I feel like you're well aware of that.

hobozero

Yep, there is no problem with SC and SQ42's development...

To be fair, beyond simply taking the piss I just wanted to point out the absurdity of SuperBanana's argument. Saying "These delayed games came out, so SC will come out" is just as dumb as my "These delayed games were cancelled, so SC will not come out"

Full disclosure: I backed the original SC at $35 or whatever the "get the game" tier was

I am mostly incredulous that so many people keep buying ships for a game that isn't out yet, with no idea what the economy will be like, etc. What happens if (when) a money making exploit is discovered early on and suddenly everyone can afford ships people paid thousands of real $$$ for?

Yes. You compromise the fucking content. All devs have to do it. The scope of this project has blew up way out of the league of what was initially promised. It's called feature creep, but I feel like you're well aware of that.

This is important. You can throw stuff at the game until eternity and it will never be over, and by the time you get close you'll be incredibly obsolete gameplay and graphics-wise and thus losing even more time. We saw the exact same thing going on with Duke Nukem Forever. Did the game come out eventually? Sure it did, after the developers bankrupted, closed up the game as it were for free in their free time, then another developer picked up the title for free and attempted to make it a somewhat coherent package that still was lacking and ran like shit. I wouldn't be surprised if this game had a somewhat similar fate.

iHaunter

To be fair, beyond simply taking the piss I just wanted to point out the absurdity of SuperBanana's argument. Saying "These delayed games came out, so SC will come out" is just as dumb as my "These delayed games were cancelled, so SC will not come out"

Full disclosure: I backed the original SC at $35 or whatever the "get the game" tier was

I am mostly incredulous that so many people keep buying ships for a game that isn't out yet, with no idea what the economy will be like, etc. What happens if (when) a money making exploit is discovered early on and suddenly everyone can afford ships people paid thousands of real $$$ for?

I agree to an extend, but it's kind of pointless now.

The "Feature Creep" problem was an issue, but almost all of the features they wanted are either developed (With 3.0) or coming with a patch or two after. I do agree that they need to STOP adding things until a substantial amount of the game is completed already.

faridmon

The problem is that, until recently, CIG could not make the deadlines that they themselves set.

That has nothing to do with people not understanding game development.

To their credit, CIG does not declare any set dates now.

I am sure most studios never meet deadlines they set themselves internally (which we never find out) due to them not being announced.

I'm hopeful that the feature creep has finally ended and they will now focus on delivering the game asap. Regardless, I'm fine with waiting until it's completed, so long as it ends up being good. Personally, I'm more interested in the persistent online version than I am for S42 anyway, but that sucks for initial backers who backed primarily for S42.

People don't get it.

citizenemployees.jpg

I don't know that most would think they are intentionally scamming, but it's certainly becoming more and more possible that they are mismanaged and in over their heads.

I am sure most studios never meet deadlines they set themselves internally (which we never find out) due to them not being announced.

Missing internal milestones is one of the things that gets most games cancelled.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The logic hoops that SC fans jump through to justify this debacle never ceases to amuse me.

Whenever this comes out.. I hope it's good. I don't think it will be.

iHaunter

I don't know that most would think they are intentionally scamming, but it's certainly becoming more and more possible that they are mismanaged and in over their heads.

Missing internal milestones is one of the things that gets most games cancelled.

I don't think that's it, CR has managed large studios before.

The problem is making two AAA games with a studio this small doesn't work, I think it was a bit greedy to do both at once.

I'm glad that Erin Roberts ended the feature creep though.

The logic hoops that SC fans jump through to justify this debacle never ceases to amuse me.

Whenever this comes out.. I hope it's good. I don't think it will be.

And most SC bashers have 0 idea of what they're talking about.

I don't think that's it, CR has managed large studios before.

The problem is making two AAA games with a studio this small doesn't work, I think it was a bit greedy to do both at once.

I'm glad that Erin Roberts ended the feature creep though.

I would think that biting off more than you can chew like you are describing, setting internal milestones that you can't meet, missing deadlines, ect...are all examples of mismanagement. It doesn't mean their intentions are nefarious or they are trying to rip people off, but it's also not good. Sounds like development hell.

iHaunter

I would think that biting off more than you can chew like you are describing, setting internal milestones that you can't meet, missing deadlines, ect...are all examples of mismanagement. It doesn't mean their intentions are nefarious or they are trying to rip people off, but it's also not good. Sounds like development hell.

Oh I agree, there was definite mismanagement for sure. But I think it's become quite stabilized now. Wish it was this stable from the get-go. To be fair, CR did build a studio from nothing and has made great games in the past, that's where the trust came from initially.

Though there's a ton of valid criticism as well.

That being said, I do look forward to see how SQ42 progress is.

Oh I agree, there was definite mismanagement for sure. But I think it's become quite stabilized now.

They went a year over deadline on their latest patch, over by 300%, what world are you living in where that isn't exactly the kind of mismanagement he talked about?

gatti-man

I funded the development of persona 5 and the last guardian? I had no idea. Did I miss the part where they were selling special persona masks for $1500 a pop too?

All it took was $30 to fund the game and get a copy. If people wanted more they could do that too. People can do what they want with their money.

I am officially getting off this train via refund if this misses 2017 as well.

I keep saying I'm going to stay on the train and wait after target date after target date is missed.

I'm really over this one, bros. I'll put my refund towards Frontier's Elite Dangerous skins or something. At least they have an actual product with a growth cycle I can see, understand and reasonably rely on when it comes to delivery.

Chev

If fans believed that these were release dates, then it is fair to say that that is on them, not on cig

Yes, confound those darn people for taking dates written on the official site as having any value!

I'm hopeful that the feature creep has finally ended and they will now focus on delivering the game asap

Didn't they announce a new "face over IP" feature about a month ago? That seems like classical feature creep, especially for a would-be MMO that according to evocati leaks still slows down hard when there's just a handful of players on the server

I keep saying I'm going to stay on the train and wait after target date after target date is missed.

I'm really over this one, bros. I'll put my refund towards Frontier's Elite Dangerous skins or something. At least they have an actual product with a growth cycle I can see, understand and reasonably rely on when it comes to delivery.

Just buy the game and help defeat those pesky aliens.

ANOTHER ONE SAVED FROM THE ABYSS BROS !

WalTech

Yes, confound those darn people for taking dates written on the official site as having any value!

Uhhhhhhhh... If you and Chris Roberts doesn't spit in your own hands, shake hands, then look deeply into each others' eyes as he says "I PROMISE the date will be ____________", then it's just an estimate. No promises were made. A date being on their official website means nothing, as does the CEO of the company standing on stage and saying when he believes it will be out.

This is all normal, btw.

iHaunter

Didn't they announce a new "face over IP" feature about a month ago? That seems like classical feature creep, especially for a would-be MMO that according to evocati leaks still slows down hard when there's just a handful of players on the server

Done by a 3rd-party.

Not taking resources away from the development team, thankfully.

No ones stopping you, you pretend like ED had a perfect development cycle?

They had many missed deadlines and they charges and overcharged for their game so much. There's still nothing to do other than haul cargo around. I'm curious to see what developments will be made long-term.

Top Bottom