• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's StarEngine Demo

Buggy Loop

"Everything is in-engine"
*shows speed on HUD as 65 billion meters per second, 200 times the speed of light*

I'm not sure the engine is accurately showing the speed the player is moving through the universe simulation and it's not Chris Roberts going "put a big number there, the bigliest number in all of space gaming!"

Yea?

I don't get your point

Space engine you can go 10,000x speed of light and get to the end of the light spectrum of the universe bubble. I'm not sure I understand the critique? It's far from the fastest space travel in a simulation.

nemiroff

Gold Member
"Everything is in-engine"
*shows speed on HUD as 65 billion meters per second, 200 times the speed of light*

I'm not sure the engine is accurately showing the speed the player is moving through the universe simulation and it's not Chris Roberts going "put a big number there, the bigliest number in all of space gaming!"

No, that's accurate to scale. That's the wonder of SC's 64 bit engine and one of its main selling points. The 64 bit precision is actually well utilized in this game. ..Including when doing quantum travel where it unlocks some very cool scenarios not being used in any other game as far as I know.

Edit: Wait, I misread your post. Now I'm suddenly unsure what your intentions are.. I don't care about whatever number was on the screen, what this game does with the 64 bit space is pretty fucking cool.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

No, that's accurate to scale. That's the wonder of SC's 64 bit engine and one of its main selling points. The 64 bit precision is actually well utilized in this game. ..Including when doing quantum travel where it unlocks some very cool scenarios not being used in any other game as far as I know.

Edit: Wait, I misread your post. Now I'm suddenly unsure what your intentions are.. I don't care about whatever number was on the screen, what this game does with the 64 bit space is pretty fucking cool.

I'm not sure I understand either.

Is it the wormhole the problem?

Buggy Loop

Was bounty hunting HRT, high risk threat, and I'm not exactly sure what happened, I was dog fighting in asteroids so I might have missed a critical piece of info and since I'm still learning, I don't know all the mechanics, either way, I ended up with criminal stats and the cops quantum locking me. I killed a few of his buddies according to criminal record as I just saw them as red threats and I thought they were part of the bounties I had to kill. My ship was busted as seen in the screenshot down, missing wing, from a damn kamikaze pilot, so It was tough to escape.

qpTmhPd.jpg

Soon as I got into Crusader orison capital, I thought I would have time to go to the security board and just pay the fine. They impounded my ship :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I look at the crime stat panel and I have 64k to pay. I'm like no way, surrender? Why not.

Off to prison I spawned

pQXMjof.jpg

They give you the mining gear with a backpack. You have a sentence to serve. To make it faster, you have to do tasks & mine. This was 2h52 minute sentence, apparently it can go way higher. Real life time.

H3ftURa.jpg

HrKZoAf.jpg

That place was a MAZE. Apparently some peoples escape it but I believe it takes a crew to fly you out so I didn't try that. Was crazy to be in low-G in that maze. I barely understood the tasks, I managed to reduce it to 1h44 but somehow I couldn't figure out why my mining gun was not generating ore, they say to move the mouse wheel to tune the mining laser but it kept at energy 0 for me anyway... Was time to close the game. I'm not even sure if time continues to tick down while I'm logged off.

Never seen such a system in an MMO.

Was bounty hunting HRT, high risk threat, and I'm not exactly sure what happened, I was dog fighting in asteroids so I might have missed a critical piece of info and since I'm still learning, I don't know all the mechanics, either way, I ended up with criminal stats and the cops quantum locking me. I killed a few of his buddies according to criminal record as I just saw them as red threats and I thought they were part of the bounties I had to kill. My ship was busted as seen in the screenshot down, missing wing, from a damn kamikaze pilot, so It was tough to escape.

qpTmhPd.jpg

Soon as I got into Crusader orison capital, I thought I would have time to go to the security board and just pay the fine. They impounded my ship :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I look at the crime stat panel and I have 64k to pay. I'm like no way, surrender? Why not.

Off to prison I spawned

pQXMjof.jpg

They give you the mining gear with a backpack. You have a sentence to serve. To make it faster, you have to do tasks & mine. This was 2h52 minute sentence, apparently it can go way higher. Real life time.

H3ftURa.jpg

HrKZoAf.jpg

That place was a MAZE. Apparently some peoples escape it but I believe it takes a crew to fly you out so I didn't try that. Was crazy to be in low-G in that maze. I barely understood the tasks, I managed to reduce it to 1h44 but somehow I couldn't figure out why my mining gun was not generating ore, they say to move the mouse wheel to tune the mining laser but it kept at energy 0 for me anyway... Was time to close the game. I'm not even sure if time continues to tick down while I'm logged off.

Never seen such a system in an MMO.
The wonders of Star Citizen lol. I still love this game despite the bugs and weird shit going lol. 500+ hrs of time in the Alpha and I’ve still never escaped this prison. I came close once but I fell to my death lol. My advise is to just spend time doing the mini missions they give you in there to reduce the time spent 😅

Buggy Loop

The wonders of Star Citizen lol. I still love this game despite the bugs and weird shit going lol. 500+ hrs of time in the Alpha and I’ve still never escaped this prison. I came close once but I fell to my death lol. My advise is to just spend time doing the mini missions they give you in there to reduce the time spent 😅

Yeah, I went in blind and this morning when I looked at the map I understood why it was so confusing

PBr_3NT1lVqvUfABj3GIIw-S79q_iXEsSKbAvH1atKg.jpg

Which I hope the new map system they'll implement soon will cover this kind of stuffs. Prison escape route though not being obvious, might even be part of data exchanges?

Thankfully the time I had to do was done while logged off so I went to exit. Spawned into Hurston space station and thought, well, I've never visited Lorville yet, time to go...

wow

I think this video does the city justice

Futuristic industrial hellscape.

This game keeps impressing me wtf. I bought the Tobii eye tracker 5 for this game, can't wait to receive it for more immersion.

nemiroff

Gold Member
This game keeps impressing me wtf. I bought the Tobii eye tracker 5 for this game, can't wait to receive it for more immersion.

That's funny, I just looked at the Tobii 5 today because I want to use it for SC and Flight Simulator (and DCS). (I use VR for flight sims, but sometimes I just want to kick back without).

Edit: Bought it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

That's funny, I just looked at the Tobii 5 today because I want to use it for SC and Flight Simulator (and DCS). (I use VR for flight sims, but sometimes I just want to kick back without).

Yea, I have a trackIR 5 from years ago that I used for DCS but in the end, since its USB to the clip to headset, and that the pro clip quality freaking sucks, broke mine and now it's all taped, I end up not using it, it's in a drawing somewhere as also the clip looks like shit on a desk. Camera stand also sucks, keeps moving so easily.

I was looking at tobii eye tracker 5 reviews lately but I found that peoples were saying it's not as good as TrackIR 5 in DCS, so I was hesitant. It was mostly that TrackIR 5 did not have a "trueview" mode like TrackIR. Then I read 2 days ago that Tobii updated the software to include a setting "follow current camera orientation" which is equivalent to TrueView. So the main complaint is now gone.

I'm gonna sell the TrackIR 5 and Tobii seems way more sleek. Once its attached to monitor, that's it, you're done. It'll track whenever you play. It had the 20% off for black friday so I bit the bullet and went with it.

In SC it's so integrated that you can look at an enemy and target it, basically missile lock with eyes. You can even drop bombs in the area of where you're looking at. Felt it was a no brainer upgrade since I feel I'll play this a LOT. On top of anyway also playing DCS & MS Flight sim, IL2, etc.

@6:00 he talks about the neat tricks programmed in SC for Tobii

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yea, I have a trackIR 5 from years ago that I used for DCS but in the end, since its USB to the clip to headset, and that the pro clip quality freaking sucks, broke mine and now it's all taped, I end up not using it, it's in a drawing somewhere as also the clip looks like shit on a desk. Camera stand also sucks, keeps moving so easily.

I was looking at tobii eye tracker 5 reviews lately but I found that peoples were saying it's not as good as TrackIR 5 in DCS, so I was hesitant. It was mostly that TrackIR 5 did not have a "trueview" mode like TrackIR. Then I read 2 days ago that Tobii updated the software to include a setting "follow current camera orientation" which is equivalent to TrueView. So the main complaint is now gone.

I'm gonna sell the TrackIR 5 and Tobii seems way more sleek. Once its attached to monitor, that's it, you're done. It'll track whenever you play. It had the 20% off for black friday so I bit the bullet and went with it.

In SC it's so integrated that you can look at an enemy and target it, basically missile lock with eyes. You can even drop bombs in the area of where you're looking at. Felt it was a no brainer upgrade since I feel I'll play this a LOT. On top of anyway also playing DCS & MS Flight sim, IL2, etc.

@6:00 he talks about the neat tricks programmed in SC for Tobii

(y)

I also have an TrackIR, but I don't like to play with a cap on..

Just bought the Tobii Tracker, looking forward to try it out.

iHaunter

Yeah, I went in blind and this morning when I looked at the map I understood why it was so confusing

PBr_3NT1lVqvUfABj3GIIw-S79q_iXEsSKbAvH1atKg.jpg

Which I hope the new map system they'll implement soon will cover this kind of stuffs. Prison escape route though not being obvious, might even be part of data exchanges?

Thankfully the time I had to do was done while logged off so I went to exit. Spawned into Hurston space station and thought, well, I've never visited Lorville yet, time to go...

wow

I think this video does the city justice

Futuristic industrial hellscape.

Sadly, I have no computer good enough to play atm.

Buggy Loop

Sadly, I have no computer good enough to play atm.

Vulkan will help a lot.

Rumours are that Q1 24 a massive patch will hit with a lot of QOL features that was showcased at citizencon. Hopefully Vulkan and DLSS is in. Right now it doesn’t matter if you have a 4090, it’s super limited by CPU

Buggy Loop

Some of my recent screenshots:

I don't need a C1, I don't need a C1...

I think I might upgrade the Zeus MK2 ES to MR just to get the C1 loaner. I still don't understand how the A1 bomber was a good loaner for the ES... exploration focused. What the hell.

Btw, who the hell composed the music in this game? It's amazing. When I got to crusader, the music that hits as you go into clouds, blew my mind.

This is the song :

Utherellus

I recently watched updated StarEngine demo with realtime camera speed/odometer and it really made me think how technically pioneering the project is.

Remember this? How whole industry was amazed by single-shot camera without visible technical seams and loadings?

That's basically what Star Citizen been doing since 2016/17 when first moons and planets appeared in the PU.

There are people that STILL hear about SC's seamless space travel for the first time and get amazed/suspicious because majority of people still take loading times as granted.

Buggy Loop

I loved the Ares Ion so much during IAE I made a CCU chain to it. It reminds me of the A10, it feels like the ship was built around the cannon, size 7 laser cannon that you can't replace. On top of being a crusader which means they have good cockpit view and UI, I particularly love how this one look and plays. It's like having a huge sniper. The sound effects of that cannon is satisfying.

Found also this kickass paint job, since its like a sort of black chrome, it can change so much the look, it can be super dark and then so damn bright.

bLmGIfg.jpg
ni59Y4P.jpg

Having a lot of fun bounty hunting with this. I guess maybe one day this would have a good role in an org that goes after massive ships as this cannon was made to go through shields of those monsters.

^ ^ Awesome Ares Ion paintjob. This is my Inferno, it doesn't have Infinite ammo like the Ion but I prefer the gatling gun of the Inferno :messenger_beaming:

czT49OT.jpg

I rented a C1 Spirit. I can see this being very popular ship in the Verse. I love the sleek styling of Crusader ships. If I wasn't so into bounty hunting with my Ares inferno and RSI Scorpius I'd get this ship in a heart beat.

1fy974v.jpg

K3EY0m5.jpg

imIYZg6.jpg

Buggy Loop

^ ^ Awesome Ares Ion paintjob. This is my Inferno, it doesn't have Infinite ammo like the Ion but I prefer the gatling gun of the Inferno :messenger_beaming:

I rented a C1 Spirit. I can see this being very popular ship in the Verse. I love the sleek styling of Crusader ships. If I wasn't so into bounty hunting with my Ares inferno and RSI Scorpius I'd get this ship in a heart beat.

I upgraded my Zeus MK2 ES to an MR, thinking (wrongly) that the loaner of the MR was the C1, so I was like yay! Gonna enjoy C1 for like a year or so before Zeus is out. Fuck, it's the same A1 loaner as the ES. I should have checked the matrix. I thought for sure that ES was the only one with the A1 loaner. Anyway, not a bad upgrade especially since it was a cheap upgrade.

I just don't care for the A1 bomber so...

That inferno is superb also. Rented it and it packs a punch, but somehow the Ion just clicked with me with the reflex shooting when the crosshair is green. I sucked too much on inferno, I was spreading that gun almost 90% into space :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Vlodril

I don't need a C1, I don't need a C1...

I think I might upgrade the Zeus MK2 ES to MR just to get the C1 loaner. I still don't understand how the A1 bomber was a good loaner for the ES... exploration focused. What the hell.

Btw, who the hell composed the music in this game? It's amazing. When I got to crusader, the music that hits as you go into clouds, blew my mind.

This is the song :

Whoever it is they did a fantastic job from the start. Even when only the hangar or arena commander where available just the song that plays on the launcher was great. All their videos have such great music too.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Regardless of the quarrels behind the scene, i do believe in the tech behind it. The Engine demo looked awesome and even needed for a game on SC's scale.

However, in the here and now, with SQ42 being announced content complete and in polish (Which i really do peek at around 1-2 years of waiting), i am curious to see how much of Starengine's full feature set will be featured there. As a title far smaller in scope than SC, how cool would seamless rendering be in planets. Its still a very novel approach and it definitely is with the visual fidelity it enjoys.

I also consider SQ42 that one game that may land on XSX/PS5 because it totally fits the scope. Its not an MMO, its a SP campaign, it has huge worlds, but it is definitely a more here and now kind of game. And for some reason i find its scope comparable to CP 2077 and Starfield (Even when it likely isn't).

So for me, as much as i enjoy SC's tech prowess, i am actually more excited for SQ42. Primarily because i am a SP gamer and thus care less on the whole MMO-shared universe bit, but also because SQ42 already looks very much the part. I hope Roberts will ramp up the promotion on it when launch is near. Because damn it, Starengine needs a full fledged release atleast.

Buggy Loop

My busted up ION catching fire on entry

yfjhNzC.jpg

Upgraded the Zeus MR package to Corsair. I needed something with cargo capability. I love the look of it, the asymmetry, the huge DPS, also an explorer type which I hope to do whenever they implement it. Has the IAE "best in show" paint which is so much more detailed at certain angles than screenshots can capture.

dbzDb6j.jpg

7FP2f4A.jpg

YxyapdF.jpg

And the wings folds! A wink to the Navy F4U Corsair

zB6maEX.jpg

Lorville where I went to after the prison.
F1AS8nf.jpg

Inside Seraphim station looking the gas giant Crusader

NXoMtKg.jpg

I know I know, disgusting looking screenshots, I'm really sorry.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Upgraded the Zeus MR package to Corsair. I needed something with cargo capability. I love the look of it, the asymmetry, the huge DPS, also an explorer type which I hope to do whenever they implement it. Has the IAE "best in show" paint which is so much more detailed at certain angles than screenshots can capture.

Congrats. I upgraded my Cutter, so now I too have a Corsair :)

Buggy Loop

Congrats. I upgraded my Cutter, so now I too have a Corsair :)

Grats you too! You dwelved into changing the weapons yet? I went Laser cannon for bounty hunting, I like not running out of ammo. Corsair by default has them but gimbals, so you can raise the weapon size +1 by going fixed.

I just love how this ship feels. After the crusader Ion which I love for how sleek everything is, the industrial drake is so fun. I feel like a space pirate. The tri-engines on each sides of a massive cargo bay and the folding wings, it's so cool. It's also highly recommended in the lists for Pyro. You a large shield, reasonable HP, cargo, tons of quantum fuel, beds+internal cargo, S-tier single player DPS, rooftop access to go look around before exiting to a planet to be sure you're alone. Feels rugged. Feels ready for the lawless Pyro system.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Grats you too! You dwelved into changing the weapons yet? I went Laser cannon for bounty hunting, I like not running out of ammo. Corsair by default has them but gimbals, so you can raise the weapon size +1 by going fixed.

I just love how this ship feels. After the crusader Ion which I love for how sleek everything is, the industrial drake is so fun. I feel like a space pirate. The tri-engines on each sides of a massive cargo bay and the folding wings, it's so cool. It's also highly recommended in the lists for Pyro. You a large shield, reasonable HP, cargo, tons of quantum fuel, beds+internal cargo, S-tier single player DPS, rooftop access to go look around before exiting to a planet to be sure you're alone. Feels rugged. Feels ready for the lawless Pyro system.
I applied the upgrade an hour ago, but the Cutter is still showing up instead of the Corsair.. Welp

Edit: The ship is back in the hangar! Will take it for a spin when the kids are in bed.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I applied the upgrade an hour ago, but the Cutter is still showing up instead of the Corsair.. Welp

You applied in your hangar right?

Or if you go here

Does status = Closed, Payment = Paid, Fulfillment = Done?

Might be some delays.

I had an amazing bounty hunting night with the Ion tonight. Not a single fucking dent on it, I was chaining HRTs until finally I unlocked the VHRT "exam" and nailed it all, came back to base without a scratch, stored it and called it a night. Was the most bug free night I experienced since I've been playing.

Going between Corsair and Ion is drastic. Like yeah corsair is an FPS beast, but it's a brick in atmosphere, feels like driving a semi-truck in space too. All that will eventually change anyway when they implement master mode & atmosphere controls. I would HOPE that the massive wings will make it more agile in atmosphere haha. Logically, ship with wings should excel in atmo, we'll see. Still manages to pack a punch in the Corsair, it's an adaptation.

Buggy Loop

Well they apparently started the year slowly with funding and they're on their way to break the record 2022 year. It picked up massively in October after Citizencon and November IAE. Look at 2nd image for month to month funding. Or the CCU url.

October + November has seen an additional 122k new players.
Think about this for a minute, that single month of November is now at $27M, $1M shy from the whole 2013 year campaign at the peak of the kickstarter.

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

If they launch SQ42 next year or that the MMO gets massive patches in the next 12 months, they'll make bank. They have a plethora of technologies all aligning for a massive QOL changes to feature match the single player.

Total opposite situation than Elite Dangerous is in for the past year.
Frontier is ~$23M negative in operation costs
Braben left the position
There's no proposal to what's coming next, they told the community that what they want (ship walking) that players don't want that ( ... )
Players are dropping like flies with the least concurrent players in ED's history.
Their engine is completely outdated, duct taped together for Horizon expansion and probably would require a whole rebuild at this stage, but it's their internal engine, would require massive fundings that they no longer have.

I would not have made that bet in 2013 when I funded both.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I was just randomly blasted out of the sky when trying to do my very first mission, just a measly 3000 aUEC cargo pickup. Didn't even get to pick it up, my ship and me was completely void of values.. Does this game have PvE or was it senseless griefing in Sea of Thieves style.

Anyway: After struggling a little bit to figure out this game, getting familiar, my excitement for it has skyrocketed. It's simply the "perfect" (obviously not perfect yet) game for escapism. The feeling of freedom and exploration is pretty damn amazing. And I didn't know it could be this atmospheric. To be completely honest: I didn't think it would win me over like this, but it just did anyway.

One thing on the side; I disliked how the game looked when I started playing (and I've seen so many youtube videos where it seems off), but after fiddling about with it I found out it was the image calibration, it made the game look over-brightened and one-dimensional. Now I'm playing it in HDR at the right settings and it for the most part looks spectacular, and it has a lot of depth in the image quality now (color, lighting, contrast etc, it enhances the fx so much more).

Edit: If someone from RSI is looking at this, here's a huge complaint for the UI: A HUD brightness adjustment is seriously sorely missing, as it is now it wreaks havoc with the night vision. Fixing this should be a high priority. But I'm sure it's not the first time someone has complained about this..

Edit: I just noticed something funny: I upgraded my ship (Drake Cutter) to a new more expensive one (Drake Corsair), and now suddenly I have three ships in my hangar to fly (and I can customize each of them):

1. Drake Buccaneer
2. Drake Cutter
3. Drake Corsair

I thought I was only going to be left with the Drake Corsair. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Just curious..

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I was just randomly blasted out of the sky when trying to do my very first mission, just a measly 3000 aUEC cargo pickup. Didn't even get to pick it up, my ship and me was completely void of values.. Does this game have PvE or was it senseless griefing in Sea of Thieves style.

I went full PVE with bounty hunting.

The "meta" right now is that when you level up your bounty hunting to VHRT or better, PVE enemies have a chance to drop cargo that are worth MILLIONS.

Salvaging also pays off nicely it seems.

Initial jobs have shit payouts, but that's why the more you do them the more it levels up to nicer bonus. I'm not familiar with the other missions though so I'm not sure if they all scale like bounty hunting does. Snake29 Snake29 would know better.

Anyway: After struggling a little bit to figure out this game, getting familiar, my excitement for it has skyrocketed. It's simply the "perfect" (obviously not perfect yet) game for escapism. The feeling of freedom and exploration is pretty damn amazing. And I didn't know it could be this atmospheric. To be completely honest: I didn't think it would win me over like this, but it just did anyway.

Same. The game is rough and the tutorial is almost useless. What it is trying to do, there's a diamond somewhere in there. When it works it's amazing.

There's a saying from long time users. When it goes to shit due to bugs or anything, they say "Fuck you Star citizen, see you tomorrow"

I've played Elite Dangerous, NMS, Egosoft X series, Starfield, none of them has scratched the hitch I wanted out of space games as good as Star citizen did in the past 2 weeks or so I've been playing.

One thing on the side; I disliked how the game looked when I started playing (and I've seen so many youtube videos where it seems off), but after fiddling about with it I found out it was the image calibration, it made the game look over-brightened and one-dimensional. Now I'm playing it in HDR at the right settings and it for the most part looks spectacular, and it has a lot of depth in the image quality now (color, lighting, contrast etc, it enhances the fx so much more).

Edit: If someone from RSI is looking at this, here's a huge complaint for the UI: A HUD brightness adjustment is seriously sorely missing, as it is now it wreaks havoc with the night vision. Fixing this should be a high priority. But I'm sure it's not the first time someone has complained about this..

Edit: I just noticed something funny: I upgraded my ship (Drake Cutter) to a new more expensive one (Drake Corsair), and now suddenly I have three ships in my hangar to fly (and I can customize each of them):

1. Drake Buccaneer
2. Drake Cutter
3. Drake Corsair

I thought I was only going to be left with the Drake Corsair. Does anyone have an explanation for this? Just curious..

Drake cutter for sure was part of IAE free fly, everyone got that. I think the Buccaneer also, I'm not understanding either why I have it, pretty sure I saw it in the list before I upgraded to Corsair.

Buggy Loop

Testing Focus
  • Stability Testing
  • Player Hair Update
  • Mineables Balance
  • Procedural FPS Recoil / FPS Weapon Balance
  • Arena Commander Multicrew
    Gameplay
  • Salvage: Structural
Implementing the ability to transform large chunks of metal salvaged from ships into a refinable material.

Structural salvage is the next step in the salvage profession. Initially, It will bring additional functionality to the two salvage ships, The DRAKE Vulture and AEGIS Reclaimer

Every Reclaimer owner will dust it off :D

Imagine seeing at behemoth land anywhere near you

acdb4vgomq3c1.jpg

Most interesting tidbit from that patch for quality of life is : Fixed - PU - Stanton - Locations / UI - AR Marker showing your assigned hangar does not appear
Fucking finally.

Buggy Loop

DF talks about the Starengine 4k stream

PTU new hair looks good

I hope we get the new character builder soon too.

Saw this earlier too, no idea since when it’s implemented but the towing capabilities of these ships make them able to haul and sling ships into asteroids. Saw one earlier slinging a ship to a space station ala The Expanse

nemiroff

Gold Member
Edit: Damn, I actually did a double-post. My sincerest apologies......................................

I'll make the best of it and mention that I did a four hour straight run last night (kids were sleeping well). Such a good time now when the auto-response memory and muscle memory is starting to kick in.

Also got the Draken Mule, it fits nicely into my Corsair.

8FO4aWI.png

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
DF talks about the Starengine 4k stream

PTU new hair looks good

I hope we get the new character builder soon too.

Saw this earlier too, no idea since when it’s implemented but the towing capabilities of these ships make them able to haul and sling ships into asteroids. Saw one earlier slinging a ship to a space station ala The Expanse

Good stuff. And as far as I understand it's in the upcoming 3.22 Live version that all of us get to experience the improved graphical improvements (and also improved gameplay and mechanics I assume) shown in the Star Engine demo. Can't wait.

How is the Tobii Eye Tracker Buggy? Can't wait for mine, I hear Star Engine / Star Citizen has very good native support for it.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Good stuff. And as far as I understand it's in the upcoming 3.22 Live version that all of us get to experience the improved graphical improvements (and also improved gameplay and mechanics I assume) shown in the Star Engine demo. Can't wait.

Yea I believe 3.22 live will also include the starengine atmosphere fog, and all the sun & cloud rays. Not sure what else, microtech’s new forest maybe?

It will also have the replication layer so no more server crash where you lose progress.

Minor stuff but the main menu will now be animated

The new hair tech is mind blowing, how is that not tanking performances like most hair tech of high detail did?

The new salvaging looks almost therapeutic lol, I need to try it

I believe also you’ll soon be able to claims your armor and weapons much like ships

How is the Tobii Eye Tracker Buggy? Can't wait for mine, I hear Star Engine / Star Citizen has very good native support for it.

I didn’t have much time to test it honestly, I followed a guide and it worked as intended in the ship cockpit, didn’t tweak around too much to find my sweet spot, and I did 1 freaking VHRT and got a lvl 3 crimstat from a cargo looting bug from mercury star runner NPC ships and then spent the night looking into how to get rid of it, as spaceports would not even let me land 😅

I enabled the tracker also for FPS mode, I’ll see if it’s worth it. For ship it worked beautifully though.

I want to test it more honestly for the eye tracking part, the head tracking is flawless like trackIR, the settings for eye tracking will take a bit more time.

Thing is a nice piece of hardware too, the camera has a nice finish and seems built strong, feels like an Apple iPhone casing with metal and the same kind of edges. I plugged it directly to monitor USB. Mount provided for ultrawide curves display works, there’s even an angle adjustment on it.

The calibration for ultrawide seems finicky if i use the ghost view on desktop to see what it captures for my eyes, it has good precision for like 75% of the screen and less so at the edges of the ultrawide. I didn’t find anything to refine the calibration yet, but i also didn’t go with the other 3rd party apps like facetracknoir and so on. This is only an eye tracking question, the head tracking is flawless I find.

edit - Oh and map a keybind to recenter the tracking and to stop the tracking, I used HOME & END for it personally after seeing a guy on youtube suggesting it. Tobii does a really good job to recenter at software level, but it's not to force it when needed.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Holy fuck I haven't had a rush this intense in gaming in a long time

I was doing VHRT for the cargo. Last two nights were shit, I got crimstats lvl 3 night after night because of some bug where there's civilians in multicrew ships and once you kill red targets thinking they're bounties you get crimstat.

So tonight I was really careful, observing that the ships are shooting at me and not at each others (which would tell that a target is bugged).

I scored some Gasping weevil eggs and Maze. Nothing crazy like youtube videos but it's my first loot. I do 3 more VHRT and again score weevil eggs, which are worth a fortune. Small sCU container for both case, but beggars can't be choosers.

So anyway, during all this, as I grab the weevil egg cargo, electricity shuts down, it's snowing here and we always have some fragile power lines because there's too many mature trees with branches touching them.

I'm like that's it, all gone for sure, I'll log back and everything will be gone, I'll spawn at bed like usual. Electricity comes back and I log in ASAP. Holy shit! I'm in space in the asteroid field!? But where's my freaking ship? I seem to be drifting in it. I look around for like 2 minutes, nothing, I'm like welp, I'm gonna die without a ship, might suicide... last look, there's a faint orange glow... Zoom in, my freaking ship is there, so far. I EVA'd in space to my ship for 10 minutes. I grab the Weevil egg cargo on my way as that spawned back with me too. Get into the ship. I can't believe this shit. Imagine that, I had to change server during all this re-connection shit.

So I go sell maze drugs to CRU-L4. They don't take Weevil eggs which I kind of read about before so not too surprised. They can only be sold at scrapyards. I'm like... no way the Daymar one is not a warzone since it's kind of PVP'ish around Crusader, lots of traffic. I quantum boost to scrapyard around Arccorp, Some moon named Wela iirc. Anyway this is super stressful as there's tons of videos on youtube of peoples just camping the scrapyard, as you have to exit the ship you're open to be killed and then they'll loot / steal your ship. Mind you, I'm not carrying that much cargo of weevil eggs, but I have to get rid of it somehow. I didn't even have a gun or armor, I was white suit from spawning with the tractor beam tool.

Video for example of those scrapyards

So I get to the scrapyard on Wela. I look around, seems empty enough but its night, I have no clue if I can even scan the area for players... So I land and DASH to the terminal in the scrapyard... I get there and... I can't sell the eggs, there's no demand :lollipop_steam_nose:
I rush back to ship because I feel a single bullet will end the day. I say fuck it, let's aim for the Daymar scrapyard. I QT there, at least its day time on that moon side.. there's a TON of destroyed ships, an Ares ION with lights on, I really don't feel I'm gonna live this through but I have to sell these damn eggs.
I land, again I DASH to the terminal. As I reach the terminal (no guns on me), there's a dead guy right in front of it :messenger_fearful: I'm telling myself I'm dead at this point, I open the terminal and try to sell the damn eggs, which I managed to do finally. 3 sCU for like ~380k. I get back to my ship alive, LEAVE the fuck off and then a mantis player appeared on radar and locked me, but I escaped, had nothing more in cargo anyway.

So that was a ~500k run. Small fries compared to peoples making ~5M a go. But it's my first successful run.

What a fucking rush to run on that scrapyard with dead ships and bodies everywhere. Gonna try again tomorrow night.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Holy fuck I haven't had a rush this intense in gaming in a long time

I was doing VHRT for the cargo. Last two nights were shit, I got crimstats lvl 3 night after night because of some bug where there's civilians in multicrew ships and once you kill red targets thinking they're bounties you get crimstat.

So tonight I was really careful, observing that the ships are shooting at me and not at each others (which would tell that a target is bugged).

I scored some Gasping weevil eggs and Maze. Nothing crazy like youtube videos but it's my first loot. I do 3 more VHRT and again score weevil eggs, which are worth a fortune. Small sCU container for both case, but beggars can't be choosers.

So anyway, during all this, as I grab the weevil egg cargo, electricity shuts down, it's snowing here and we always have some fragile power lines because there's too many mature trees with branches touching them.

I'm like that's it, all gone for sure, I'll log back and everything will be gone, I'll spawn at bed like usual. Electricity comes back and I log in ASAP. Holy shit! I'm in space in the asteroid field!? But where's my freaking ship? I seem to be drifting in it. I look around for like 2 minutes, nothing, I'm like welp, I'm gonna die without a ship, might suicide... last look, there's a faint orange glow... Zoom in, my freaking ship is there, so far. I EVA'd in space to my ship for 10 minutes. I grab the Weevil egg cargo on my way as that spawned back with me too. Get into the ship. I can't believe this shit. Imagine that, I had to change server during all this re-connection shit.

So I go sell maze drugs to CRU-L4. They don't take Weevil eggs which I kind of read about before so not too surprised. They can only be sold at scrapyards. I'm like... no way the Daymar one is not a warzone since it's kind of PVP'ish around Crusader, lots of traffic. I quantum boost to scrapyard around Arccorp, Some moon named Wela iirc. Anyway this is super stressful as there's tons of videos on youtube of peoples just camping the scrapyard, as you have to exit the ship you're open to be killed and then they'll loot / steal your ship. Mind you, I'm not carrying that much cargo of weevil eggs, but I have to get rid of it somehow. I didn't even have a gun or armor, I was white suit from spawning with the tractor beam tool.

Video for example of those scrapyards

So I get to the scrapyard on Wela. I look around, seems empty enough but its night, I have no clue if I can even scan the area for players... So I land and DASH to the terminal in the scrapyard... I get there and... I can't sell the eggs, there's no demand :lollipop_steam_nose:
I rush back to ship because I feel a single bullet will end the day. I say fuck it, let's aim for the Daymar scrapyard. I QT there, at least its day time on that moon side.. there's a TON of destroyed ships, an Ares ION with lights on, I really don't feel I'm gonna live this through but I have to sell these damn eggs.
I land, again I DASH to the terminal. As I reach the terminal (no guns on me), there's a dead guy right in front of it :messenger_fearful: I'm telling myself I'm dead at this point, I open the terminal and try to sell the damn eggs, which I managed to do finally. 3 sCU for like ~380k. I get back to my ship alive, LEAVE the fuck off and then a mantis player appeared on radar and locked me, but I escaped, had nothing more in cargo anyway.

So that was a ~500k run. Small fries compared to peoples making ~5M a go. But it's my first successful run.

What a fucking rush to run on that scrapyard with dead ships and bodies everywhere. Gonna try again tomorrow night.

Nice. I believe that's Brio's Breaker Yard. I was running around that place last night, lol.

Will this video game have a release date in this lifetime?

Well, you know what they say; "It's closer now than it's ever been".

That's obviously tongue-in-cheek. To be honest, this game was dead to me until recently, and I'm an original backer.. But well I'll be damned, a lot positive and meaningful things has happened to SC lately.

Take a look at the video Buggy Loop posted. So many gameplay systems have come together already. I had a better time last night playing this game than most of my time in Starfield, and dare I say even in No Man's Sky (a game I have more than 200 hours in). You actually feel like you're an explorer of space in this game (at least to me). And it's not shallow either, there are so many ways to enjoy the game. To me it's almost like it's already closer to feeling like Frontier Elite 2 than even Elite Dangerous ever was..

It's an alpha, it has bugs, some serious ones too, and I am impatient to get to play a proper release. The game obviously still need a lot of work. But in the meantime, I'll just patiently and impatiently continue to appreciate what it already has become.

TLDR; I think so.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Nice. I believe that's Brio's Breaker Yard. I was running around that place last night, lol.

Yea, that scrapyard. Have you become a pirate of weevil eggs? :messenger_beaming:

Well, you know what they say; "It's closer now than it's ever been".

That's obviously tongue-in-cheek. To be honest, this game was dead to me until recently, and I'm an original backer.. But well I'll be damned, a lot positive and meaningful things has happened to SC lately.

Take a look at the video Buggy Loop posted. So many gameplay systems have come together already. I had a better time last night playing this game than most of my time in Starfield, and dare I say even in No Man's Sky (a game I have more than 200 hours in). You actually feel like you're an explorer of space in this game (at least to me). And it's not shallow either, there are so many ways to enjoy the game. To me it's almost like it's already closer to feeling like Frontier Elite 2 than even Elite Dangerous ever was..

It's an alpha, it has bugs, some serious ones too, and I am impatient to get to play a proper release. The game obviously still need a lot of work. But in the meantime, I'll just patiently and impatiently continue to appreciate what it already has become.

TLDR; I think so.

I spent hundreds of hours in Elite Dangerous, hundreds of hours in X series from egosoft for like 2 decades it feels like, I spent 98 hours to finish Starfield and all faction quests, I backed and played Infinity Battlescape, I played NMS, I... I think anything that is remotely "space sim" with HOTAS i've played it.

Not a single one of them has come close to the past 2~3 weeks I've spent in Star Citizen, bugs/jank and all. What we are playing now though is pretty much the stagnation for 2~3 years or so? The game will change a lot in the coming year now that staff is moving from SQ42 to SC.

It's incomplete, but you can already do so much

And multiplayer in that MMO creates some amazing moments, player driven moments like these cannot be had in single player.

I still advise peoples who are still doubtful to just stay on the sideline and watch the coming year. There's no rush to get in unless you dug a lot into what SC is currently and you can live with the present problems.

I'm having a ton of fun though

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Yea, that scrapyard. Have you become a pirate of weevil eggs? :messenger_beaming:

I spent hundreds of hours in Elite Dangerous, hundreds of hours in X series from egosoft for like 2 decades it feels like, I spent 98 hours to finish Starfield and all faction quests, I backed and played Infinity Battlescape, I played NMS, I... I think anything that is remotely "space sim" with HOTAS i've played it.

Not a single one of them has come close to the past 2~3 weeks I've spent in Star Citizen, bugs/jank and all. What we are playing now though is pretty much the stagnation for 2~3 years or so? The game will change a lot in the coming year now that staff is moving from SQ42 to SC.

It's incomplete, but you can already do so much

And multiplayer in that MMO creates some amazing moments, player driven moments like these cannot be had in single player.

I still advise peoples who are still doubtful to just stay on the sideline and watch the coming year. There's no rush to get in unless you dug a lot into what SC is currently and you can live with the present problems.

I'm having a ton of fun though

It seems here is disallowed to say anything good about SC. Even if circumstances are changed, hell - everything around us is changed but not their right opinion😄

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
(y)

I also have an TrackIR, but I don't like to play with a cap on..

Just bought the Tobii Tracker, looking forward to try it out.
There is a free alternative that works pretty well just needs a webcam preferably 120Hz. I used to use it in Flight Simulator and it was pretty solid unless you obscured your face or another person entered the field of view.

Top Bottom