• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's StarEngine Demo

Buggy Loop

Citizencon day 1 is over and there's so much upcoming things for the engine. It was a huge blowout and there's still a day 2 coming.
We don't have direct feed yet so these are taken from stream (you know, never 100% smooth)

The starengine demo. I don't think there's anything comparable out there for the scale of it all. Holy shit.

edit : New direct feed 4k

The future of StarEngine

Resume but a bullet list isn't doing it justice : See reddit's resume for much more details

From the realistic mode sound, we see glimpse of the new ship UI, looks goddamn gorgeous

WImRLOW.png

Squadron 42 is FEATURE COMPLETE (day 2 video, i hope!)

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So why isn't there an official good quality upload? If this ever works and is actually smooth sailing on any hardware configuration at all it's basically the metaverse, lol.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

So why isn't there an official good quality upload? If this ever works and is actually smooth sailing on any hardware configuration at all it's basically the metaverse, lol.

I'm trying to find direct feed but yea, everything was taken from twitch stream and then uploaded to youtube after. Best we have as of this hour..

Peoples played the Pyro demo at Citizencon at the demo booth and have ~130 fps. Is the demo there with Vulkan? To be seen.

The graphics are clearly showing its age, what are you praising exactly?

What even has tech comparable?

Last edited:

Alexios

UE5 would look a lot better.
People are jizzing in the de facto graphics thread here about how fast you can smoothly/seamlessly travel in Spider-Man 2's city and you can't even comprehend what you're looking at here so spew ignorant bullshit like that, lol. Idk if this will ever be a game but this tech is indeed beyond anything.

Also, tech isn't its assets, those are always replacable.

When you're looking at an engine demo like it, you have to be able to comprehend what it's actually showing, not just the content. Whether high tech or low end like this Saturn homebrew engine demo, left with programmer/Quake/whatever art, right as a realized game with Unreal itself "ported".

Last edited:

Alexios

And at what scale? Please, it can barely do a corridor souls clone without massive stuttering. Get a grip. UE5 is shit.
But I noticed some clear pop in at distances of 100s of miles away when traveling faster than light from detailed interiors up to a cosmic level in this simulated, persistent, online enabled & synced galaxy, shit sucks. Back to jizzing over Spider-Man 2's web swinging speed being a bit faster than 1's.

Last edited:
Nothing out there comes remotely close to the tech on display here. It’s quite mind-blowing really.

I heard a lot of these features are coming to the next patch before the end of the year. Does that include DLSS support and raytracing?

Buggy Loop

Squadron 42 Feature Complete? Yeah, sure, lol.

We'll see soon enough.

While what we see for years is Star Citizen, the majority of the budget at CGI is for SQ42 for years and years now.

This was leaked footage from like a circa 2021 build, leaked in 2023.

Excuse the shit quality of the steam, but its not like SQ42 is on hold since Star Citizen MMO.

This game with RT? LOL. Man.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Vulkan + DLSS will boost this massively. There's also gonna be the software GI which is tweaked to probably be way faster, less accurate, but that they don't have to have 2 lighting systems in the game, just 1, for artists' sanity. They basically made their Lumen software + Lumen RT hardware in their engine.

Nothing out there comes remotely close to the tech on display here. It’s quite mind-blowing really.

I heard a lot of these features are coming to the next patch before the end of the year. Does that include DLSS support and raytracing?

These require Vulkan API and that is "soon". Rumors is its by year's end. DLSS is likely, ray tracing i wouldn't know when.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

And at what scale? Please, it can barely do a corridor souls clone without massive stuttering. Get a grip. UE5 is shit.

And it can’t don’t HDR either going by the games released on it so far. I guess it’s up so the dev to implement a custom solution (like UE4).

setoman

Where are the Star Citizen haters now?
The starengine demo. I don't think there's anything comparable out there for the scale of it all. Holy shit.

As long as you are aware that its all smoke and mirrors.
Way more smoke & mirrors than say MSFS 2020 where you can actually travel through the entire planet.
But you can do this easily even in the old UE4.
Watch the first 60 seconds

Last edited:

Ribi

tell me this isnt fucking cool

As long as you are aware that its all smoke and mirrors.
Way more smoke & mirrors than say MSFS 2020 where you can actually travel through the entire planet.
But you can do this easily even in the old UE4.
Watch the first 60 seconds

what are you talking about? You can play the game right now...

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Where are the Star Citizen haters now?
Were is the sand worm? Looking at these videos sure it's beautiful, I want to play it! But at the same time I'm just... meh? Because I've seen cool stuff last year too, and also before, and the year before too etc...
That's the problem with SC, we see lots of really cool things but we're still waiting for them to be integrated. And I'm not a hater, I want this game to come out with everything it promises but I don't believe it anymore. I mean "a player can pass his hand through his hair and they will react correctly". Ok that's nice, very well done. How about releasing some meaty gameplay, locations and player systems into the PTU?

Edit: I want to note that for sure the engine work is impressive, unfortunately I wont take anything for granted unless I can play it. They need to show massive improvements to tech (that SM presentation is nice, but at this point I take it as just another quick look into a reduced scale) and some firm release date for Pyro, Tera and SQ42

- A backer from 2013.

Last edited:

Utherellus

tell me this isnt fucking cool

That's really one of the most impressive pieces of tech of recent years.

Jesus it works so elegantly, transferring thousands of items, characters, vehicles to another server container seamlessly without player even noticing it.

Being on 1 server, blowing up a capital ship on another server seamlessly, gravity and inertia throwing it's derelict into 3rd server, where it will persist virtually forever.

Buggy Loop

You could do this already in other games so I don't get the point. Going around a whole planet and from ground to space is nothing new.

Other games? I played almost all space games so please, do throw names out there

Elite Dangerous? Hits a buffer zone to load and transition. Not seamless. Has no cities, no vegetation, etc. Rock planets

You can probably put NMS in the basket but, fuck me, its ugly and nowhere near to scale. It has its niche in the genre but its not fighting for the ED or SC more serious vibe.

The fact of the matter is to even be comparable, you have to find a 64-bit precision coordinates engine for object placement and... yea, no games has it as of now. UE 5.1 just added this precision, no game using it as of now, i think there's some obscure game outside of Star Citizen that did it, but yea, very rare.

But I'm sure UE demos of making a planet, somehow, where the guy keeps populating it with tech but doesn't roam around it, is some validation of some sort about (?) a way to shit on Star Citizen. The same planet demo with no NPCs, no MMO server meshing, no physics, nothing. Just a ball with plumps of shit generated on it with clouds. This is proof enough around here that all this starengine tech is worthless. Solar system scale? Throw that shit out of there, we have UE planets.

This is already 4 years old and would shame most cityscapes in modern videogames.

That's really one of the most impressive pieces of tech of recent years.

Jesus it works so elegantly, transferring thousands of items, characters, vehicles to another server container seamlessly without player even noticing it.

Being on 1 server, blowing up a capital ship on another server seamlessly, gravity and inertia throwing it's derelict into 3rd server, where it will persist virtually forever.

Yup, this tech is flying over many's peoples heads. It's hard to sell the tech when its not PEW PEW visuals but legit revolutionary multiplayer tech that could define the coming years of multiplayer gaming.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

oh and a mod changed the title for scam

Verrryyyyy funny LOLOL

They went from whiteboard crazy feature creep to today showcasing all the pieces of the puzzle working to realize their idea.

A scam

Of course. Because what is a better scam than hiring all these devs for years and years to make one of a kind engine

Big brain move. A scam, funny

Ray J Lol GIF by VH1

peish

love how they left in the pop-ins and stutters to make thing 'real'.

why are they not realising the game yet? It is a MMORPG right? They can start off the saga with just parts of the universe, and slowly unlock the saga over time.

Are they lacking game play designers? All just smoke and mirror tech demo?

EDMIX

Playing videogames that aren't money-laundering scams.

I'm saying! lol

They tell us this like we give a fuck.

Holy shit folks, no one cares. At this point, showing some fucking tech demo stuff doesn't mean shit. They did this before PS4 released and then before PS5 released annnnnnnd here the fuck we are again with a shit load of "derrr da TeCh dEmOz" like I don't give a shit.

Talk to me when its a tangible, released, real LEGAL game. by the time they even get this shit actually running during that PS6 generation, it will just look like utter shit and they'll be like "well....lets make ANOTHER ENGINE TO REA"

and rinse and repeat.

Until they put out a final game, this shit is a scam and even after they put out a game, I have no belief even remotely that what is being shown really fucking cost $600 million. This dude is going to be in jail before this game releases, ie ...if this game releases lol

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
We'll see soon enough.

While what we see for years is Star Citizen, the majority of the budget at CGI is for SQ42 for years and years now.

This was leaked footage from like a circa 2021 build, leaked in 2023.

Excuse the shit quality of the steam, but its not like SQ42 is on hold since Star Citizen MMO.

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Vulkan + DLSS will boost this massively. There's also gonna be the software GI which is tweaked to probably be way faster, less accurate, but that they don't have to have 2 lighting systems in the game, just 1, for artists' sanity. They basically made their Lumen software + Lumen RT hardware in their engine.

These require Vulkan API and that is "soon". Rumors is its by year's end. DLSS is likely, ray tracing i wouldn't know when.

Titanic Cock Energy. Only few can fathom.

Tomeru

Other games? I played almost all space games so please, do throw names out there

Elite Dangerous? Hits a buffer zone to load and transition. Not seamless. Has no cities, no vegetation, etc. Rock planets

You can probably put NMS in the basket but, fuck me, its ugly and nowhere near to scale. It has its niche in the genre but its not fighting for the ED or SC more serious vibe.

The fact of the matter is to even be comparable, you have to find a 64-bit precision coordinates engine for object placement and... yea, no games has it as of now. UE 5.1 just added this precision, no game using it as of now, i think there's some obscure game outside of Star Citizen that did it, but yea, very rare.

But I'm sure UE demos of making a planet, somehow, where the guy keeps populating it with tech but doesn't roam around it, is some validation of some sort about (?) a way to shit on Star Citizen. The same planet demo with no NPCs, no MMO server meshing, no physics, nothing. Just a ball with plumps of shit generated on it with clouds. This is proof enough around here that all this starengine tech is worthless. Solar system scale? Throw that shit out of there, we have UE planets.

This is already 4 years old and would shame most cityscapes in modern videogames.

Yup, this tech is flying over many's peoples heads. It's hard to sell the tech when its not PEW PEW visuals but legit revolutionary multiplayer tech that could define the coming years of multiplayer gaming.

Wdym comparable? I was commenting on flying from surface to space and across the surface.

Star Citizen pioneered and introduced SSD-centered seamless planetary travel back in 2017. Back when whole industry was struggling on 7200RPM HDDs.

Ok, but I am still right.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

CIG uploads the whole Con and panels after Citizencon tomorrow. Today will start day 2 with rumours of Squadron 42 gameplay demo and maybe release date. They confirmed that it is feature complete right now.

I'm saying! lol

Holy shit folks, no one cares. At this point, showing some fucking tech demo stuff doesn't mean shit. They did this before PS4 released and then before PS5 released annnnnnnd here the fuck we are again with a shit load of "derrr da TeCh dEmOz" like I don't give a shit.

Talk to me when its a tangible, released, real LEGAL game. by the time they even get this shit actually running during that PS6 generation, it will just look like utter shit and they'll be like "well....lets make ANOTHER ENGINE TO REA"

and rinse and repeat.

Until they put out a final game, this shit is a scam and even after they put out a game, I have no belief even remotely that what is being shown really fucking cost $600 million. This dude is going to be in jail before this game releases, ie ...if this game releases lol

Lol dude come on. Still giving Star Citizen the scam label to this day is so lame. 600 million funding is not the same as “it cost 600 million to make”. They also need to play the devs, studios and so on.

CIG is the largest indie development studio in the world. More than 1000+ devs who worked at famous development studios. I knew a few personally who worked at CIG and now at Guerrilla for instance.

Star Citizen pioneered and introduced SSD-centered seamless planetary travel back in 2017. Back when whole industry was struggling on 7200RPM HDDs.

They’ve always done or seen it in other games, but they can never name those mysterious games, which is funny.

Last edited:

setoman

Smoke and mirrors? What are you talking about? You can log to PU today and travel a whole planet or go from ground to space and vice versa.

First of all, those are not "planets". Its more like a large battlefield map copy pasted all over.
The only true planet based game is MSFS.
Once you realize that going from planet to planet is just programming and vfx then it will dawn on you that MSFS tech is light years ahead.

Why? Because its using ML generation rather than procedural generation. If you use procedural generation you end up with copy pasta worlds like star citizen, starfield, no man sky and all the other space games. But if you train/create ML models that can generate full planets based on your input. Because its able to generate tens of thousands of the variety and diversity based on our earth planet. You can repurpose the ML to generate alien planets with planet size civilizations.

Rather than other space games with town center/output that they call a city. You can actually create planet size civilizations using these ML models.

Unlike StarCitizen, MSFS planet is also completely physics based, with physically based wheather (hurricanes, typhoon, thunderstorm, tornado, dust storm, etc) and fully physically based vehicle.

That means you could show up in space, looking at the alien planet you're about to descend to. You see a huge storm clouds around the area where you're supposed to touch down at from space. Similar to how you can see weather events/disasters from space. Its a huge F-10 tornado. So now you have to plot a new flight plan to avoid tornado. You eventually land on the planet and have to rush and harvest the data from the lab you needed before the tornado sweeps over the city, engulfing you. Then when you're finally ready to leave, you would have to fly through part of the tornado now and your craft have to be upgraded enough to handle those level of tolerances. If you had an underpowered craft you end up crash landing and now have to wait out the storm then acquire parts from the locals to repair your craft or call for a pickup from friends in other planets/in your current planet.

That alone is better than anything you can do today in star citizen. Why? Because you have planet size systems. Planet size physics, Planet size wheather, planet size biomes, planet size civilization and an actual PLANET.

Not only is Asobo's engine light years ahead of StarCitizen, its visuals is also a gen ahead.
If Asobo worked on a space game after MSFS 2024, they would completely wipe the floor of everyone.

K5E9bkY.png

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I'm saying! lol

and rinse and repeat.

The game is illegal? This is new to me.

Well some other space games cost $400mil and it's plagued by loading screens and 0 space exploration. Maybe it's time people get over the whole money thing.

StueyDuck

First of all, those are not "planets". Its more like a large battlefield map copy pasted all over.
Once you realize that going from planet to planet is just programming and vfx then it will dawn on you that MSFS tech is light years ahead.

Why? Because its using ML generation rather than procedural generation. If you use procedural generation you end up with copy pasta worlds like star citizen, starfield, no man sky and all the other space games. But if you train/create ML models that can generate full planets based on your input. Because its able to generate tens of thousands of the variety and diversity based on our earth planet. You can repurpose the ML to generate alien planets with planet size civilizations.

Rather than other space games with town center/output that they call a city. You can actually create planet size civilizations using these ML models.

Unlike StarCitizen, MSFS planet is also completely physics based, with physically based wheather (hurricanes, typhoon, thunderstorm, tornado, dust storm, etc) and fully physically based vehicle.

That means you could show up in space, looking at the alien planet you're about to descend to. You see a huge storm clouds around the area where you're supposed to touch down at. Its a huge cat 10 tornado. So now you have to plot a new flight plan to avoid tornado. You eventually land on the planet and have to rush and harvest the data from the lab you needed before the tornado sweeps over the city, engulfing you. Then when you're finally ready to leave, you would have to fly through part of the tornado now and your craft have to be upgraded enough to handle those level of tolerances. If you had an underpowered craft you end up crash landing and now have to wait out the storm then acquire parts from the locals to repair your craft or call for a pickup from friends in other planets/in your current planet.

That alone is better than anything you can do today in star citizen. Why? Because you have planet size systems. Planet size physics, Planet size wheather, planet size biomes, planet size civilization and an actual PLANET.

Not only is Asobo's engine light years ahead of StarCitizen, its visuals is also a gen ahead.
If Asobo worked on a space game after MSFS 2024, they would completely wipe the floor of everyone.

K5E9bkY.png

What are you even talking about 🤣. MSFS is a great on earth flight sim yes, but it and starcitizen share literally 0 goals and are not targeting the same things either.

Star citizen is also an MMO it also has combat it also has seamless traversal on foot and ground vehicles, it has in atmo and out of atmo flight models where you can fully explore yoir vehicle at any time, it has NPCs and mission givers, it has pirates and so on and so forth.

Msfs has to do one thing, fly around Google maps. You can understand why it's ridiculous to compare these two things right, it's like being annoyed GTAs driving mechanics aren't as up to scratch as gran turismo or forza 🤣

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

That means you could show up in space, looking at the alien planet you're about to descend to. You see a huge storm clouds around the area where you're supposed to touch down at from space. Similar to how you can see weather events/disasters from space. Its a huge F-10 tornado. So now you have to plot a new flight plan to avoid tornado. You eventually land on the planet and have to rush and harvest the data from the lab you needed before the tornado sweeps over the city, engulfing you. Then when you're finally ready to leave, you would have to fly through part of the tornado now and your craft have to be upgraded enough to handle those level of tolerances. If you had an underpowered craft you end up crash landing and now have to wait out the storm then acquire parts from the locals to repair your craft or call for a pickup from friends in other planets/in your current planet.

K5E9bkY.png

MSFS is impressive for it’s own scale, but fucking hell you can’t be that stupid to compare these 2?

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

Well MS has a slogan for that “Power your dreams”.

I don’t trust MS if they already can’t make a Halo game these days. Their new MSFS 2024 also sounds more like a cash grab. Instead of just iterate on FS2020.

Last edited:
Top Bottom