• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's StarEngine Demo

setoman

What are you even talking about 🤣.
Stop thinking like a gamer and start thinking like a developer. Then you can understand what's truly happening.
MSFS is a great on earth flight sim yes,
No MSFS is a great planet sim, its even more true with MSFS 2024 as they revamped the ground ML based mesh content generation.
Earth is just another planet. You can turn MSFS into an alien planet by changing acouple of the physically based atmosphere parameters. Just by changing the Rayleigh, Mie and Absorption of the Sky Atmosphere.

Again stop thinking like a gamer and start thinking like a developer
but it and starcitizen share literally 0 goals and are not targeting the same things either.
Wrong. Infact they have more in common its just that MSFS is doing everything and Star Citizen is doing nothing.
They are both based on navigating a planet.
They are both heavily based on aviation vehicles.
They both involve the sky and atmosphere.
They both involve civilizations.
They both involve biomes.

Yet only one of them have a weather system and not just a weather system but a physically based weather system.
But it doesn't stop there, its a planet size physically weather system. Star-citizen wish they could have that, it would improve the gameplay so much.

Only one of them have physically based vehicles.
Only one of them have physically based sky & atmosphere.
Only one of them have planet sized biomes.
Only one of them have planet sized civilization
Star citizen is also an MMO it also has combat it also has seamless traversal on foot and ground vehicles, it has in atmo and out of atmo flight models where you can fully explore yoir vehicle at any time, it has NPCs and mission givers, it has pirates and so on and so forth.
MSFS 2024, also have missions. Missions with greater variety and diversity than star citizen. Plus it has NPCs.
And you can also walk on feet. Driving seriously?
fNjRwwV.png

Msfs has to do one thing, fly around Google maps. You can understand why it's ridiculous to compare these two things right, it's like being annoyed GTAs driving mechanics aren't as up to scratch as gran turismo or forza 🤣
MSFS literally beats Star Citizen at everything and with 2024, if Asobo wanted to make a space game they could literally end star citizen as we know it.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
We should appreciate this tech and not hate on it. People where nutting in their pants for UE5 demos but we have still nothing impressive on the market from UE5.

Stop thinking like a gamer and start thinking like a developer. Then you can understand what's truly happening.

No MSFS is a great planet sim, its even more true with MSFS 2024 as they revamped the ground ML based mesh content generation.
Earth is just another planet. You can turn MSFS into an alien planet by changing acouple of the physically based atmosphere parameters. Just by changing the Rayleigh, Mie and Absorption of the Sky Atmosphere.

Stop thinking like a gamer and start thinking like a developer

Wrong. Infact they have more in common its just that MSFS is doing everything and Star Citizen is doing nothing.

Yet only one of them have a weather system and not just a weather system but a physically based weather system.
But it doesn't stop there, its a planet size physically weather system. Star-citizen wish they could have that, it would improve the gameplay so much.

Only one of them have physically based vehicles.
Only one of them have physically based sky & atmosphere.
Only one of them have planet sized biomes.
Only one of them have planet sized civilization

MSFS 2024, also have missions. Missions with greater variety and diversity than star citizen. Plus it has NPCs.
And you can also walk on feet. Driving seriously?
fNjRwwV.png

MSFS literally beats Star Citizen at everything and with 2024, if Asobo wanted to make a space game they could literally end star citizen as we know it.

Good luck doing all the things what we can do in Star Citizen. Hope those ground based combat mission are super cool in FS, how about the space combat and rpg system?

Lol you sound like a butthurt Asobo dev.

Last edited:

Zathalus

The mods doing this with all Star Citizen related threads. It’s pretty childish to say and not even funny anymore.
It's not even a scam. Poorly managed and suffering from extensive feature bloat? Yes, that can describe it.

The game does have hundreds of developers working on it, new features are added all the time and a playable version can be downloaded. So it's certainly not a scam.

setoman

We should appreciate this tech and not hate on it. People where nutting in their pants for UE5 demos but we have still nothing impressive on the market from UE5.

Good luck doing all the things what we can do in Star Citizen. Hope those ground based combat mission are super cool in FS, how about the space combat and rpg system?

Lol you sound like a butthurt Asobo dev.

Wait you guys went from "best tech ever, no one else is doing this at all and definitely no one is doing it at this scale".
I then prove you can go from space and land on the other side of the planet while dealing with unique environment and weather along the way that affects your aircraft. Basically that others are doing it, but doing it waaaaaaaaay better and at an even BIGGER scale with physically based planet, weather and aviation.

Then you guys pivot to "what about combat missions, space combat and rpg system".

So its no longer about tech? Hey as-long as you can admit it we can move on.

But its funny that you think devs who have physically based fight jets in their game (The actual hard part) can't add a gun and health bar to vehicles with a line trace and projectile constraint that deducts health on event hit. LOL

You do realize it would take Asobo days to add that but it would on the other hand take Star Citizen years to add Asobo's physically based planet, weather and aviation.

Last edited:

Xtib81

Looks incredible indeed. The scale is just unbelievable. The only thing that looks subpar is LOD pop in, it really sticks out.

I have only watched videos of this game but is there a story, missions, character development etc..? or you just explore space in search of resources?

Last edited:

SABRE220

The scale and streaming are impressive but the graphics are quite dated by modern standards. That being said these devs have found a goldmine they will keep putting out iterative updates and demos at intervals while delivering basically fkall and the zealots will keep investing until this farce gets unsustainable eventually.

I don't see this game releasing for another decade at least and why the hell would the devs even release it, they have hit the ultimate jackpot they have essentially a guaranteed unlimited stream of funding to burn and have zero pressure in regards to deliverables and accountability courtesy of their excuse of feature creep.

peish

I thought MSFS is just recreating some google maps into a 3D game engine?

I doubt asobo has the expertises and time to make a super ML engine as you spoke off.

nemiroff

Gold Member
OP is praising SC but is using Scam in the title. I'm confused.
Nah, that's gaf "moderation" for you right there.

(I for one use a browser plugin to autocorrect titles like those (plus a reskinned gaf with new colors)).

gZ5Pw8c.png

Anyway, I'm happy Star Citizen exist, I've gotten more fun and drama, plus gameplay, out of my 30 dollars ten years ago than many other games I've put more money into. And it looks absolutely fucking fantastic. The way they're using the 64 bit precision for something fresh is fascinating. Also the server mesh and seamless persistence is unmatched.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

People are jizzing in the de facto graphics thread here about how fast you can smoothly/seamlessly travel in Spider-Man 2's city and you can't even comprehend what you're looking at here so spew ignorant bullshit like that, lol. Idk if this will ever be a game but this tech is indeed beyond anything.

Also, tech isn't its assets, those are always replacable.

When you're looking at an engine demo like it, you have to be able to comprehend what it's actually showing, not just the content. Whether high tech or low end like this Saturn homebrew engine demo, left with programmer/Quake/whatever art,right as a realized game with Unreal itself "ported".

I’m not following your post, Spider-Man doesn’t use UE5 if that was where you’re going.

Crayon

Now I wonder if squadron 42 is built around the cool new engine. Maybe it was all designed with cry in mind and missing opportunities to do things with destruction , etc. Hopefully wouldn't be missing much.

Whatever. If you release it, I will be all over it. I loved wc back in the day. I'll even spend hundreds of dollars upgrading my computer to complete the origin ritual.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Wait you guys went from "best tech ever, no one else is doing this at all and definitely no one is doing it at this scale".
I then prove you can go from space and land on the other side of the planet while dealing with unique environment and weather along the way that affects your aircraft. Basically that others are doing it, but doing it waaaaaaaaay better and at an even BIGGER scale with physically based planet, weather and aviation.

Then you guys pivot to "what about combat missions, space combat and rpg system".

So its no longer about tech? Hey as-long as you can admit it we can move on.

But its funny that you think devs who have physically based fight jets in their game (The actual hard part) can't add a gun and health bar to vehicles with a line trace and projectile constraint that deducts health on event hit. LOL

You do realize it would take Asobo days to add that but it would on the other hand take Star Citizen years to add Asobo's physically based planet, weather and aviation.

Can i do the same in FS as in Star Citizen?

No..ok good luck dude.

Now I wonder if squadron 42 is built around the cool new engine. Maybe it was all designed with cry in mind and missing opportunities to do things with destruction , etc. Hopefully wouldn't be missing much.

Whatever. If you release it, I will be all over it. I loved wc back in the day. I'll even spend hundreds of dollars upgrading my computer to complete the origin ritual.

This is all coming from Squadron 42. Squadron 42 is now feature complete and they are now porting these tech over to the Star Citizen branch, which is why we will see most of stuff already in the upcoming experimental modes in star cirizen so that we can test them and report issues at the issue council.

Pyro will also go open for access at the end of the moment for selected groups of backers, and then a full open PTU test before it goes live. Some of the features they’ve shown are already in the experimental mode in Arena Commander.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I thought MSFS is just recreating some google maps into a 3D game engine?

I doubt asobo has the expertises and time to make a super ML engine as you spoke off.

The tech in MSFS is not "just" at all. Open world tech; that's how Asobo got into this and that's what they are good at. They use third party ML expertise to process Bing maps. MSFS doesn't use ML on the fly but rather to analyze and enhance Bing data, to create enhanced assets, and to blend handmade assets into the mix.

And on top of that they add a layer of solid modern graphics tech (like seen in Plague Tale).

Edit: ..but why is this now msfs vs star Citizen, it doesn't make much sense to me..

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

One is creating all that from nothing while the other is creating it all from our current existing real world model utilizing massive amount of existing imagery data taken from elsewhere.

These are not comparable.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The tech demos they display are impressive, everything looks super promising and in and of itself very cool… and that is it. Their model seems to be monetising game / engine development, I am not feeling like they will ever want to call it done and release anything finished (to then work on a different game and/or sequel).

It feels like a constant chasing of new tech and buzz, close enough to earth but also very promising to get people to look forward to more news. Of course they throw away their lighting system to make a new one based of software RT, I can see the artists benefit, but it also smells on yet another pivot to keep the project chasing yet another North Star.

(Edit: also the engine showcase video shows a truly impressive scale in terms of going from space to caves to cities seamlessly, but the video drops frames constantly, there is loads of pop-in in the environment [shadows and trees] as well and character rendering / animations still feel off, but yes I get the scale they show here… and if they were to be rendered on a monster CPU and GPU and RAM config we do not know, need to see the video further as I have yet to see proof it is not stitched together from a lower framerate realtime feed… again this shows promise, but not something one expects in polished and shippable quality soon and in a year or so I kind of feel they will pivot again and we will be chasing another goal)

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The tech demos they display are impressive, everything looks super promising and in and of itself very cool… and that is it. Their model seems to be monetising game / engine development, I am not feeling like they will ever want to call it done and release anything finished (to then work on a different game and/or sequel).

It feels like a constant chasing of new tech and buzz, close enough to earth but also very promising to get people to look forward to more news. Of course they throw away their lighting system to make a new one based of software RT, I can see the artists benefit, but it also smells on yet another pivot to keep the project chasing yet another North Star.

I'm hoping this game actually turns the corner one day and starts to become a concrete reality rather than a consistently broken alpha, but right now I tend to agreement with your assessment. I paid $45 for the game a few years ago and I pop in every now and then to see if it has improved enough to actually spend some time playing only to be disappointed every time. Sucks because this is exactly the type of game that I've been wanting for as long as I can remember. I just don't understand why they can't build the foundation of a finished game first and then build on it. I think you are right, the answer is in the business model.

Edit...

Alexios Alexios you know I value your opinion my man. What's your perspective on my take here since you gave me the laugh emoji?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

(Edit: also the engine showcase video shows a truly impressive scale in terms of going from space to caves to cities seamlessly, but the video drops frames constantly, there is loads of pop-in in the environment [shadows and trees] as well and character rendering / animations still feel off, but yes I get the scale they show here… and if they were to be rendered on a monster CPU and GPU and RAM config we do not know, need to see the video further as I have yet to see proof it is not stitched together from a lower framerate realtime feed… again this shows promise, but not something one expects in polished and shippable quality soon and in a year or so I kind of feel they will pivot again and we will be chasing another goal)

It shows that they are not faking things with in-engine stuff. Most of what you’ve seen is experimental mode for backers oktober 31.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm hoping this game actually turns the corner one day and starts to become a concrete reality rather than a consistently broken alpha, but right now I tend to agreement with your assessment. I paid $45 for the game a few years ago and I pop in every now and then to see if it has improved enough to actually spend some time playing only to be disappointed every time. Sucks because this is exactly the type of game that I've been wanting for as long as I can remember. I just don't understand why they can't build the foundation of a finished game first and then build on it. I think you are right, the answer is in the business model.
I'm in the same boat (paid $30 for the Kickstarter in 2012 :D ). I have the launcher installed and I play it from time to time. But I'm beyond the stage of impatient, I was stressed, but now I just find it all fascinating.

And it's not like RSI aren't doing anything.. I guess that's always been the criticism; They are doing "too much". But the good thing is that the current "businessmodel" won't last forever, it will eventually fail without a product release. And RSI isn't stupid, they know this. And I guess that's why they've been connecting more dots recently.

Anyway: My favorite source of balanced Star Citizen news, I recommend it for both lovers and haters: https://www.youtube.com/@SpaceTomato

Last edited:

Hudo

Freelancer is still one of my favorite games of all time, which is why I still haven't completely written off all of this shit. But this whole development clusterfuck just shows how right Microsoft were to axe Chris Roberts when they took over Digital Anvil back then.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Freelancer is still one of my favorite games of all time, which is why I still haven't completely written off all of this shit. But this whole development clusterfuck just shows how right Microsoft were to axe Chris Roberts when they took over Digital Anvil back then.
Yeah they made so many great games after that, it was a blessing.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It shows that they are not faking things with in-engine stuff. Most of what you’ve seen is experimental mode for backers oktober 31.
Is this stitched together even though it might be running in some monster config or truly realtime? Still, it is stuck in this forever “oh it will be polished and releasable… until we pivot and back we are at promising it will be polished and releasable… until…”.

Red5

All I know is that I can log into the universe, do missions, and they’ve been adding stuff to the universe for a long while. The game is playable, and it’s pretty fun, I look forward to each update.

Same, I only ever paid 60$ all the way back in 2014 anyway.

Top Bottom