• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox 2: Dreaming the Impossible Dream

angelic

Banned
Could someone explain why the FX chip stuff would have prevented StarFox 2 from being released. I know the chip we designed by Argonaught or something.

licensing, and Nintendo dont like inaccurate emulation...although that seems to be relaxing now. This snes mini is a bunch of roms on the nes mini hardware, it's a bit of a cash grab if we're all honest.

FyreWulff

Could someone explain why the FX chip stuff would have prevented StarFox 2 from being released. I know the chip we designed by Argonaught or something.

We don't know 100% for sure, but depending on what legal entity owned the patent on the FX chip, Nintendo couldn't legally emulate the chip because they wouldn't be able to claim a clean room reverse engineering of it, since they were directly involved in implementing it into the SNES. Emulator creators can legally reverse engineer the chip while Nintendo could not legally emulate it themselves.

It just so happens that any patents on the FX chip expired very recently, within the last couple of years, mooting any such restrictions.

woopWOOP

Sorry to hear about your brother OP, my condolences

I'm pretty happy about SF2 having an official release myself, just because it means Fay and Miyu are somewhat canon. More than being a pair of unreleased beta characters atleast! Curious how the finished product differs from the fan-translated rom too.

As for other impossible dreams, unless they ever bother to even have a Virtual Boy VC service up and running there's no way an unreleased Virtual Boy game will ever, ever be released to the public. But still. having Dragon Hopper salvaged and released would make me pretty happy, that game looked cute.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Mother 3 localization
Monster Hunter XX Switch localization
Shadow of Eternal fund by Nintendo E3 2018 announcement
Shenmue 3...oh wait! :p
Baten Kaitos HD collection for Switch by Monolith soft

On VC? No Super FX game got there. Most notably SNES Yoshi's Island. So it was assumed that they either have unusually hard time emulating it or Argonaut owned some rights to the chip itself as opposed to the game (since their involvement with Yoshi's Island was minimal). The other "common" accelerator chip, SA-1, got some games on VC.

In the nineties? It wasn't the only problem but it made cartridge more expensive.

Social

I remember checking this game out and thinking "That's it?". So not sure if this will be any good if it resembles what I've played.

angelic

Banned
it is bad. sf64 was the proper sequel, Nintendo was right for canning sf2.

correct, and even more reason the snes mini is a cash grab...nintendo has hundreds if not thousands of unreleased, almost finished games that they dont feel meet the market quality. It shows that theyre really relaxing some attitudes to basically let a beta out into the wild officially.

Dont get me wrong, the snes mini is a decent product, but starfox 2 is not a good game. Oh and by the way, not the right place, but the mini doesnt even come with an AC adaptor, that's how cash-grabby it is.

correct, and even more reason the snes mini is a cash grab...nintendo has hundreds if not thousands of unreleased, almost finished games that they dont feel meet the market quality. It shows that theyre really relaxing some attitudes to basically let a beta out into the wild officially.

Dont get me wrong, the snes mini is a decent product, but starfox 2 is not a good game. Oh and by the way, not the right place, but the mini doesnt even come with an AC adaptor, that's how cash-grabby it is.

But what you played was the beta and this is the finished version no one ever had their hands on...especially twenty years ago, a game could have get some big changes a few months before launch.

That's an EU thing, and applies to lots of Nintendo's products, not just the SNES Mini.

Yep. In case of the classic systems they're intended for HDMI TVs which usually have an USB socket so it's not that much of a problem, and they are probably pretty annoyed by incompatible sockets (there are loads of socket standards in EU, but if you skip ground you can address most of them but UK/Ireland one with a single plug). It's way more of an annoyance in case of 3DSes.

angelic

Banned
That's an EU thing, and applies to lots of Nintendo's products, not just the SNES Mini.

Oh is it? its still pretty mean considering its now £80 from £50

But what you played was the beta and this is the finished version no one ever had their hands on...especially twenty years ago, a game could have get some big changes a few months before launch.

You may be right, but I thought it was widely known that it was basically the finished product. I can't see them going back into the code and doing anything significate beyond touching up a few assets, if that. Im just really surprised NIntendo feel comfortable releasing it.

Vormund

Oh is it? its still pretty mean considering its now £80 from £50

You may be right, but I thought it was widely known that it was basically the finished product. I can't see them going back into the code and doing anything significate beyond touching up a few assets, if that. Im just really surprised NIntendo feel comfortable releasing it.

Well yes, that was widely known that it was basically finished, but the version that is out in the wild right now is not the finished version according to someone involved in the game. (Dylan Cuthbert)

Besides, this is an extra that Nintendo decided to release so maybe they aren't comfortable releasing it as a standalone even on the eShop. It is a nice little bonus regardless.

Cepheus

Just now hitting me that Star Fox 2 is coming out before Mother 3 in the West

What the fuck

Fixed. But yeah, this is what got me this morning. Super excited for SF2 (managed to snag a SNES Classic last night) but it's insane we got this game before Mother 3. Star Citizen will come out before English Mother 3 at this rate.

Raitaro

Mother 3 localization
Monster Hunter XX Switch localization
Shadow of Eternal fund by Nintendo E3 2018 announcement
Shenmue 3...oh wait! :p
Baten Kaitos HD collection for Switch by Monolith soft

I'll add the following:
New F-Zero and/or F-Zero X remake or GX remaster
Seiken Densetsu Collection localization funded by Nintendo
Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1 + 2 localization funded by Nintendo
Super Mario Sunshine HD by Bluepoint
"Original Edition" of Donkey Kong that has Pie Factory stage (as included as pre-installed game on special EU Wii bundle) released on VC

Any others we're missing in terms of dream announcements?

Gusy

My condolences OP.

I've never played any of the SF2 leaks. Are there any standard "on rails flying above a planet surface" levels like in SF1?. So far all I've seen are weird walker stages and a few all-range mode type levels. I hope there's standard on rails flying sections cause that's my jam..

Talking about obscure never released ports for the snes, I would love to see the canceled Comanche port that was in development in the esrly 90's. A voxel engine running on the snes would've been so cool..

TheMoon

I assume you mean Earthbound Beginnings/Mother 1

StarFox 2 would still be the first release of a totally unreleased game, though (at least Mother 1 came out in Japan)

At least since Zelda Master Quest/Ura Zelda. ;)

No, I meant Earthbound. That was a huge megaton back in 2013.

They have no problem releasing finished stuff sitting in a drawer somewhere.

Yep. I think once they saw the response to that they opened up a lot more internally on bringing over or releasing cancelled games or game releases.

Kinda makes me wonder if they'd try something similar for an N64 classic.

Well, look at Sin & Punishment on the Wii VC back then. That was similar.

I wonder if the NES version of Sim City will ever get released?

NES version? Eww, who would want that.

TheMoon

I wonder if this is any different from the ROM already circulating. I remember there being a ROM with Japanese text that had a multiplayer menu option that would crash when selected, and that the (fan-translated/patched???) English ROM had unused code removed. Probably not realistic to hope that they added or re-implemented planned features.

If you only read the first page of the thread where I commented on this twice and even linked to Cuthbert's interview :)

Garraboa

I can think of two holy grails still in Nintendo's possession. Bound High and Dragon Hopper. Those were finished, DH even reviewed by Nintendo Power and BH leaked a while ago. But those are Virtual Boy titles, so their demand wouldn't nearly be as high. Unless Nintendo releases a Virtual Boy Classic with them bundled, lol.

FyreWulff

I can think of two holy grails still in Nintendo's possession. Bound High and Dragon Hopper. Those were finished, DH even reviewed by Nintendo Power and BH leaked a while ago. But those are Virtual Boy titles, so their demand wouldn't nearly be as high. Unless Nintendo releases a Virtual Boy Classic with them bundled, lol.

Virtual Boy Classic would just be two laser pointers duct taped to an SNES Mini

Lettuce

I wonder if this will be the same version of the final released rom found on the internet or if they have polished the game up at all?

Star Fox 2 gives me hope that the Mother 3 rumors are real. Please Nintendo! At the very least I hope this means we'll see it released on Switch's eventual VC.

NimbusD

Here's something more impossible than Star Fox 2, which was probably lying around Nintendo warehouse for a while like Earth Bound [Beginnings] and the impossible part is they decided to show it off, although not in my... favorite way.

OoT N64DD expansion that got scrapped in favor of Majora's Mask.

What did you expect?
Isn't that just master quest?

TheMoon

I wonder if this will be the same version of the final released rom found on the internet or if they have polished the game up at all?

I've answered this now 3? times in this thread lol

first page has an interview source from Cuthbert on this Q.

Shifty1897

Cuthbert has gone on record like 10 times about this. The roms that were released were alpha and beta stuff. No polish, no QA. Polish can go a long way, I remember reading an interview with Druckmann where he said something like The Last of Us was tracking for an 70-80 metascore until the last six weeks of development.

Relevant parts....

IGN: It was a surprise to see a release for Star Fox 2 announced with the SNES Classic! Were you involved in this version at all or was it a surprise to you too?

Dylan Cuthbert: All a big fantastic surprise - awesome news! I think it is the main selling point of the new SNES classic - that and the original Star Fox finally getting a re-release!

Do you know whether the game will be identical to the one you made all those years ago or has it been changed in some way? I believe the game was only 95% complete when you finished working on it, but what was left to do for the final 5%? Were you involved in any new tweaks?

I have no idea, but we mastered it up completely back in the day, internationally too - I presume it will be that mastered version? It is one of those games that got fully completed but then due to market changes was shelved.

So basically, Nintendo has "master copies" of this game for multiple regions. Which means that they are final release builds and not 'nearly completed' versions.

Also...

IGN: Alpha and beta builds of the game have been leaked over the years. How does the final version differ from the apparently pre-release beta version that some fans have been able to play?

Dylan Cuthbert: All those ROMs lacked the final magic - i.e. the Mario Club QA and tuning process that makes Nintendo games so good. The final few months of iteration are so important for a game. Also they were set up in debug modes, so the encounter systems didn't seem to work very well.

This version went through balancing and playtesting from the Mario Club QA in Japan and is less buggy than the leaked betas.

saw lots of tweets about Star Fox 2 and a growing amount of Miyu and Fay fanart out of nowhere. Guess i know why now.
They certainly took their time to release this

Relevant parts....

So basically, Nintendo has "master copies" of this game for multiple regions. Which means that they are final release builds and not 'nearly completed' versions.

Also...

This version went through balancing and playtesting from the Mario Club QA in Japan and his less buggy than the leaked betas.

So. the final officially released version of the game will hopefully be an improvement over the leaked version. that's good

was the launch party pic posted?

DDU8YfgV0AE_wSo.jpg

better late than never!

Isn't that just master quest?
Not really, those dungeon object layouts started as part of the same project but at some point this was way more ambitious. One thing I remember was a bunch of relatively persistent footsteps, and loads of other expansive savefile things. I guess a lot of overhyped/cancelled/changed games are like that. OoT expansion just sounds like a victim of weird circumstances with hardware.

I'm intrigued about what the SNES Classic version is going to play like. If Cuthbert is serious about the leaked beta not having Rouge-like gameplay, and isn't just trying to make the ROM seem undesirable to appease Nintendo, then the gold master could be a completely different game experience.

We shall see. I wonder if the rerelease of the SNES games means that the series can go back farther than 64 for the next reboot. I also wonder if we'll see a stage or some other kind of SF2 representation (remixed music, etc.) for the next Smash game.

Haines

Banned
It's just insane that Nintendo is releasing a new to the public SNES game.

That crazy company still has some tricks up its sleeve.

Borman

The difference between this and Mother 3 though is that this game was 100% QA tested and translated back in the day, and was ready for release, just as Earthbound (NES) was. That is why Nintendo was more easily able to release it, all things considered. Mother 3 requires a bit more work having not been translated or gone through any of the testing that would have been required.

This is still a huge deal for game preservation, but if Nintendo chooses to go even further with something like Mother 3, we're in for a lot of potential surprises down the line.

Stylo

Not really, those dungeon object layouts started as part of the same project but at some point this was way more ambitious. One thing I remember was a bunch of relatively persistent footsteps, and loads of other expansive savefile things. I guess a lot of overhyped/cancelled/changed games are like that. OoT expansion just sounds like a victim of weird circumstances with hardware.

I vaguely remember that. Footsteps would remain in the sand and the seasons would change the overworld

Compsiox

Banned
It's just insane that Nintendo is releasing a new to the public SNES game.

That crazy company still has some tricks up its sleeve.

"Why do we need Star Fox 2 when we have Star Fox 64 in the works?"

"You're right."

"Lets save it for when we relaunch the SNES in 15 years"

"Good idea!"

Top Bottom