• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Wii U - info dissection and speculation

This is my stance as well.

Quoted from a previous thread

"The series can definitely learn a few things from S&P 1 & 2 and Panzer Dragoon Orta. I wouldn't mind some Vanquish style on foot missions or even a some lite RTS where you send in your squad and partake in the battle in real-time."

"I don't mind the different vehicles in Star Fox, just that Land Master, on Foot, Blue Oyster (or whatever) all need to be fun in their own unique way like the Arwing. Having levels where you could choose different vehicles for you and you support and having that effect boss battles would be nice. And to expand make Star Wolf playable with the ability to hijack enemy vehicles. Throw in a weapons upgrade system and a weapon's merchant and we're golden. Online battles where you fight to control Lylat airspace similar to Chromehounds or Steel Battalion Line of Contact. That on top of a recruitment system where you recruit AI Wing-men, from different planets during the campaign, for use in multi-player. Well all that and Platinum Games X Treasure X Sandlot (I'm a sucker for EDF)"

Sounds like a dream. I now understand people trying to curb their hype, because fantasizing of the possibilities of a really fleshed out Star Fox game can be painful.
I'm still kind of shocked anyone wants on-foot sections at all.

I mean, why is it necessary?

Nothing beats placing a giant bomb on an Arwing, flying it through the air, and then jumping out as the plane flies out of control and explodes.

In addition to all the other gameplay opportunities in Assault's multiplayer. On-foot gameplay opens things up in a good way for multi

Glowsquid

I didn't hate the TPS segments in Assault, but it's like, why do some act as if featuring that gameplay is the the only way to make the game viable for the modern retail market? For that purpose, there's already a perfectly fine format that's already featured in most of the games: Freeform flight combat.

People don't ask for pedestrian combat in Ace Combat. People don't ask for pedestrian combat in Armored Core. People don't ask for pedestrian combat in Mechwarrior. People didn't ask for pedestrian combat in Freespace or Wing Commander. Why is this one series singled out here?

Because it's WAY better and Assaults multiplayer showed it could lead to tons more variety in missions and gameplay. I loved the idea of being able to get in and out of my arwing mid mission

TreIII

I didn't hate the TPS segments in Assault, but it's like, why do some act as if featuring that gameplay is the the only way to make the game viable for the modern retail market? For that purpose, there's already a perfectly fine format that's already featured in most of the games: Freeform flight combat.

People don't ask for pedestrian combat in Ace Combat. People don't ask for pedestrian combat in Armored Core. People don't ask for pedestrian combat in Mechwarrior. People didn't ask for pedestrian combat in Freespace or Wing Commander. Why is this one series singled out here?

And that's my thing, as well. I personally think StarFox would be better suited as a "stylish vehicular combat" game. More along the lines of being Nintendo's "Gundam/Macross", than trying to be Nintendo's "Gears/Halo/etc."

I know people like Fox and his supporting cast, but I always considered the Arwings to be the star of the show. And imagine the merchandising opportunities if they really ran with the prospect of making a game full of cool ships, tanks and the like, which kids and collectors would want to buy up soon after the game's release?

Because it was featured in a previous game in the series (the previous console entry) and, in a certain mode (multi), it was extremely fun.

And that's my thing, as well. I personally think StarFox would be better suited as a "stylish vehicular combat" game. More along the lines of being Nintendo's "Gundam/Macross", than trying to be Nintendo's "Gears/Halo/etc."

I know people like Fox and his supporting cast, but I always considered the Arwings to be the star of the show. And imagine the merchandising opportunities if they really ran with the prospect of making a game full of cool ships, tanks and the like, which kids and collectors would want to buy up soon after the game's release?

Having (improved) on-foot gameplay featured in the game (not even a main focus) would not preclude the possibilities you mention here.

I ask in return: what is with the extreme apprehension about this kind of gameplay? even purely form a conceptual standpoint, people vehemently oppose it, ignoring that it could/would be refined and could be great.

TreIII

Having (improved) on-foot gameplay featured in the game (not even a main focus) would not preclude the possibilities you mention here.

I ask in return: what is with the extreme apprehension about this kind of gameplay? even purely form a conceptual standpoint, people vehemently oppose it, ignoring that it could/would be refined and could be great.

For me? Because I just think it does more detract from what I believe should be the focus of a StarFox game (re: vehicular combat). With this new game, we have a chance to set the tone. So to me, ditching pedestrian combat altogether and focusing/balancing the game exclusively around vehicular combat would already be a good start.

Plus, what would be the need for another Starfox game to have TPS aspects, when Splatoon already looks to be fulfilling that particular niche as it is?

For me? Because I just think it does more detract from what I believe should be the focus of a StarFox game (re: vehicular combat). With this new game, we have a chance to set the tone. So to me, ditching pedestrian combat altogether and focusing/balancing the game exclusively around vehicular combat would already be a good start.

Plus, what would be the need for another Starfox game to have TPS aspects, when Splatoon already looks to be fulfilling that particular niche as it is?

Because Splatoon doesn't have vehicular combat. And it isn't Star Fox.

If Nintendo is content with having one first party online combat game, then it can stick with Splatoon. If they want to realize more of the Star Fox series' potential, build up one of their longest-running franchises and rebuild its mindshare and have an additional competitive online combat game, they'll consider revisiting/refining Assault's template.

Because Splatoon doesn't have vehicular combat. And it isn't Star Fox.

If Nintendo is content with having one first party online combat game, then it can stick with Splatoon. If they want to realize more of the Star Fox series' potential, build up one of their longest-running franchises and rebuild its mindshare and have an additional competitive online combat game, they'll consider revisiting/refining Assault's template.

Yeah, there's this weird clinging to the past in here, when the series could be way way more than a simple rail shooter. Assault's ideas, in the hands of a more competent developer (such as EAD) is what I envision and seriously hope for. It should really be a vehicular action game, and it can do so without compromising what the series is about

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

It was tried in Assault and it was terrible. They could try to improve on it, but I'd say it's a waste of time. Arcade shooting and on-foot TPS action don't synergize well together. Some games are defined strongly by their signature gameplay, and I think StarFox is one of those games. The on-rails arcade shooting is essential to the series. Trying to shoehorn in other gameplay types waters down the overall experience, and subjects the game to a kind of feature creep that distracts from more important things.

Sterok

I think I'd prefer Star Fox sticking to a variety of vehicular combats. Arwing, Landmaster, Submarine, Giant Robot, etc. Play to the series strengths and unique points. They've got Metroid, Kid Icarus, and now Splatoon if they want an infantry based shooter, either single or multiplayer. Let Star Fox build off what it's known and liked for.

It was tried in Assault and it was terrible. They could try to improve on it, but I'd say it's a waste of time. Arcade shooting and on-foot TPS action don't synergize well together. Some games are defined strongly by their signature gameplay, and I think StarFox is one of those games. The on-rails arcade shooting is essential to the series. Trying to shoehorn in other gameplay types waters down the overall experience, and subjects the game to a kind of feature creep that distracts from more important things.

The Battlefront games show that that isn't necessarily true...you keep using a few devs not doing it well as proof that it can't be done

I think I'd prefer Star Fox sticking to a variety of vehicular combats. Arwing, Landmaster, Submarine, Giant Robot, etc. Play to the series strengths and unique points. They've got Metroid, Kid Icarus, and now Splatoon if they want an infantry based shooter, either single or multiplayer. Let Star Fox build off what it's known and liked for.

Yeah, this sounds more exciting to me. The series since 2 has always had multiple vehicles, so restricting it to just Arwing aerial combat would feel like a step back

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The Battlefront games show that that isn't necessarily true...you keep using a few devs not doing it well as proof that it can't be done

My position isn't that it's not proof that it can't be done. It's more like proof for me that it's a waste of time to try to make it good.

I wouldn't want StarFox to be more like Battlefront. That's not StarFox to me. Now, I'm not one to say that games should never think outside of the box, or evolve their gameplay, but I don't think it works in this particular case.

RomanceDawn

I would prefer Star Fox staying with just vehicles, be it Arwings, Land Masters, Blue Marines, Helecopters, mech suits or what ever they can come up with. Though now that Nintendo for real is making Star Fox again I have complete faith that if Fox jumps out of the Arwing he will control well and feel good shooting up enemies.

I want plenty of on rail stages and plenty of all range mission style stages. Adding leader boards to single player or co-op stages will keep people playing those stages forever!

Star Fox needs a robust multiplayer as well. I didn't like Assault's multiplayer because honestly it felt really tacky and slow compared to SF64(even with 64's frame rate issues). I could not stand how the ships collided with one another or the walls in Assault. I can't explain it but just watch any Arwing do a summer sault too close to the ceiling or near another ship. I liked that it had all these options, stages and such but I did not like the way it felt. Star Fox 64 3D's expanded multiplayer was much better as far as controls and a sense of speed was concerned.

I have a really good feeling about this game and it's partially because of Nintendo Land. When Miyamoto describes the helicopter all I can think of is Metroid Blast. Expand on that in a really meaningful way(with the co-op) and I will be doing monkey back flips.

Why do so many people in here think Nintendo was just going to half ass Star Fox? It's bizarre, has no precedent, and doesn't even make sense considering they're doing it in-house for the first time in over a decade. You'd think that alone would instill more confidence in the project...

After what Miyamoto did to Paper Mario I'm far less confident in him.

My expectations: lackluster or nonexistent storyline. Arcadey levels all the way through--no sense of "adventure." Ugly character designs. Basic graphics so that it's "easy to see" what's going on or some shit. Way too many attempts at different gameplay styles within one game, and only one or two random ones actually end up being fun. The rest are gimmicks. However that one type is real fun.

^This basically

btNyrX5.jpg

A retail pure on-rail shooter is delusional in 2015. But given how out of touch Nintendo has been lately they may actually believe that it is a good idea.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

That makes more sense because it's all the same entity throughout. Going from a spaceship to a laser pistol is a huge change of scale, and jarring for a game whose emphasis should be space/aerial combat. I don't think I want them to do Kid Icarus II with a space animals reskin.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also wingriding was a really cool idea.

There's also much potential for them to fuck it up by shoehorning in extra gameplay modes that they don't need. Instead of spend the time trying to figure out how to make on-foot missions good, I'd rather them use the time and resources to making the Arwing mode better.

Well I don't think they can "perfect" it much.

Neoxon

I'm gonna be completely honest, I don't think just Arwing sections will cut it in this day & age. It might as well be an eShop game or a budget game if that were the case. Assault had a good idea with ground combat, it just wasn't executed well. Hopefully this Star Fox game takes more after Kid Icarus Uprising or even Warhawk in this regard.

Lunar15

If it's good it's good, and I'm all for that. But, for me, even in assault, it's the equivalent of non-sonic sections of sonic games. Just give me the meat.

Neoxon

If it's good it's good, and I'm all for that. But, for me, even in assault, it's the equivalent of non-sonic sections of sonic games. Just give me the meat.
But even if the meat is good, just the meat alone leaves for a barebones dish. You need the side dishes & a drink to wash the meal down, while the appetizer & dessert are just icing on the cake.

But even if the meat is good, just the meat alone leaves for a barebones dish. You need the side dishes & a drink to wash the meal down, while the appetizer & dessert are just icing on the cake.

I think that's a depressing way to look at games; it makes it sound like tight, focused arcade games (like the first few Star Fox games pretty much were) are just inherently inferior to Assault. More is not always better.

hatchx

Banned
Soooo many people scared of on foot levels..

If its good it IS good

If its bad it IS bad

I'm really surprised the thread has gone into on-foot VS non-foot.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you that good on-foot is fine, I think my thought was that based on everything we've seen and heard I feel it's extremely unlikely, and others say they'd be disappointed if there was no on-foot.

Is there no imaginable Star Fox game that some people can enjoy that only takes place inside of vehicles? Are people going to lament no matter what when it's purely in-vehicle (which I'm 95% sure it will be).

EhoaVash

Wasn't there rumor about miyamoto wanting to make star fox episodic .??
And then I remember people spinning it around as if star fox u will be a digital episodic download thing ..which could work well for the series IMO

Neoxon

I think that's a depressing way to look at games; it makes it sound like tight, focused arcade games (like the first few Star Fox games pretty much were) are just inherently inferior to Assault. More is not always better.
I never said it would be a bad game, I just said it would be a barebones one that would be better served as an eShop or budget release (the latter being along the lines of Captain Toad's release). I love the Star Fox series to death & probably logged more hours into 64 than I can recall, but these days simply having amazing on-rails combat isn't enough, especially if it's gonna be the big Wii U game of the Holidays (assuming it is their big Holiday title that'll fill the void of now-delayed Zelda U).

Like I said earlier, Kid Icarus Uprising would be a fantastic template for what I hope Star Fox U is, a good mix of on-rails air combat & ground-based combat.

butalala

This is my stance as well.

Quoted from a previous thread

"The series can definitely learn a few things from S&P 1 & 2 and Panzer Dragoon Orta. I wouldn't mind some Vanquish style on foot missions or even a some lite RTS where you send in your squad and partake in the battle in real-time."

"I don't mind the different vehicles in Star Fox, just that Land Master, on Foot, Blue Oyster (or whatever) all need to be fun in their own unique way like the Arwing. Having levels where you could choose different vehicles for you and you support and having that effect boss battles would be nice. And to expand make Star Wolf playable with the ability to hijack enemy vehicles. Throw in a weapons upgrade system and a weapon's merchant and we're golden. Online battles where you fight to control Lylat airspace similar to Chromehounds or Steel Battalion Line of Contact. That on top of a recruitment system where you recruit AI Wing-men, from different planets during the campaign, for use in multi-player. Well all that and Platinum Games X Treasure X Sandlot (I'm a sucker for EDF)"

I would like to sign up for your newsletter.

MagnesD3

Soooo many people scared of on foot levels..

If its good it IS good

If its bad it IS bad

Yes if assault had good air sections and on foot sections then I would love it to death but the facts are that game just is mediocre as hell.

I believe on foot can be done right I just hope nintendo cares enough this time to make sure Star Fox is a quality product and not some rushed gimmick.

Neoxon

On-foot sections are usually just an admission that making enough rail shooter content to fill the game is difficult and they need to pad it out.
In most cases that'd be correct (correct me if I'm wrong), imagine if Kid Icarus Uprising was just on-rails air combat. Once again, they should use KIU as a template (more so in the balancing of gameplay types than anything else). Though I always thought that Star Fox could be a great answer to Warhawk from a multiplayer standpoint if done right.

hatchx

Banned
I believe on foot can be done right I just hope nintendo cares enough this time to make sure Star Fox is a quality product and not some rushed gimmick.

Is is possible for you to enjoy the game if there are absolutely zero on-foot gameplay? Seriously curious.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Assault's problem wasn't because it was more. It was because it was unpolished.

On-foot sections are usually just an admission that making enough rail shooter content to fill the game is difficult and they need to pad it out.

in this and age? it isn't tbqh

KIU showed it can be done

nimbusstev

Neo Member
Miyamoto said:
We're in an era when people have a limited amount of time… to play these long story-based games, so there will be a story for the game, but you'll be able to choose the missions you want to play.
I absolutely hate this sentiment. There will always be people who enjoy long story-based games. If people can binge watch an entire season of House of Cards in a weekend, they can absolutely make time to invest themselves into a plot heavy video game. Dumbing down your games to appeal to this lowest common denominator is just doing a disservice to your passionate fans who actually care enough to play for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Is is possible for you to enjoy the game if there are absolutely zero on-foot gameplay? Seriously curious.

I don't recall seeing anyone say "no on-foot, no buy," and, if they exist, those people are tremendously outnumbered by those saying "on-foot = no buy."

Can't speak for everyone, but it seems there are people who would like a vehicles-only, strictly on-rails Star Fox, but are content with existing SF games that follow that formula as there isn't that much room for improvement compared to the on-foot, vehicle switching gameplay of Assault. Even to many fans of the game, Assault is flawed, and those fans would like to see what it did right built upon in a new game and what it did wrong be corrected. A new SF just like 64 would be, by comparison, a rehash of a good, yet basic formula that didn't need any refinement. Such a game would be a missed opportunity for something potentially greater.

I understand and agree with the notion there are times sequels should be more of the same, but here, what some want more of the same of was already as good as I could have wanted — SF64 was great, but another game just like it would only have longevity in regards to its score-attack nature (aside from just being fun) and that isn't something I'm that interested in for this series. Competitive and cooperative multiplayer using systems introduced in Assault is far more interesting to me and having gameplay be strictly Arwing-based without possibility of mid-fight vehicle switching or on-foot vs. Awring vs. Landmaster asymmetric gameplay would guarantee it'd be less interesting to me.

hatchx

Banned
Can't speak for everyone, but it seems there are people who would like a vehicles-only, strictly on-rails Star Fox, but are content with existing SF games that follow that formula as there isn't that much room for improvement compared to the on-foot, vehicle switching gameplay of Assault. Even to many fans of the game, Assault is flawed, and those fans would like to see what it did right built upon in a new game and what it did wrong be corrected. A new SF just like 64 would be, by comparison, a rehash of a good, yet basic formula that didn't need any refinement. Such a game would be a missed opportunity for something potentially greater.

Well we know the landmaster is an option in all-range mode during missions (not some multiplayer-only unlock in SF64), and vehicle-switching at will was in the e3 demo. The landmaster had movement and aiming controls similar to that of the arwing (albeit probably slower and on-the-ground).

If the landmaster can aim and move on the ground nimbly, is that not a suitable replacement for 'on-foot'? The on-foot controls in assault were incredibly tank-like anyways. It sounds like people will be disappointed if Fox can't jump out of vehicles and go all TPS on us, which I am fairly certain is not going to happen. I will happily eat figurative message board crow if it does!

Personally I'm excited because the ability to transform between landmaster and arwing at will can open a lot of opportunities. Also having a second-player co-operate by shooting while I control flight/movement is incredibly interesting, and I can imagine a whole new layer of depth to competitive dog-fights.

I guess I'm just thrown off by a lot of the responses here when a lot of the details have been spilled by Miyamoto and are sitting right in the OP!

I'm really surprised the thread has gone into on-foot VS non-foot.

I don't think anyone disagrees with you that good on-foot is fine, I think my thought was that based on everything we've seen and heard I feel it's extremely unlikely, and others say they'd be disappointed if there was no on-foot.

Is there no imaginable Star Fox game that some people can enjoy that only takes place inside of vehicles? Are people going to lament no matter what when it's purely in-vehicle (which I'm 95% sure it will be).
Well I dont believe im arguing with anyone I just like stating opinions lol.

Anyway the reason people are saying they would like on foot missions is because they thought it was fun or its something thats possible, If Nintendo are internally developing this ge theres no saying what on foot missions could possibly mean. It isnt automatically assault or Starfox 64 multiplayer. They could totally bust the game wide open and even broaden the franchise.. make it a normal franchise and not some dormant locked in the vault kinda thing.
Also im not opposed to no on-foot missions I just think if they do decide against it the whole game will have to be a masterpiece. Theres no way a whole game in just vehicles is gonna equal an entire game unless its something like captain toad or kirby which were 40$. I mean that isnt bad but I paid 40$, but they felt like 40$ games if you know what I mean and Thats fine. I just believe starfox deserves to be much more ambitious. If Nintendo pulls it off with just vehicles I believe they probably just created a new kind of game or genre or something because it sounds really crazy.

I never said it would be a bad game, I just said it would be a barebones one that would be better served as an eShop or budget release (the latter being along the lines of Captain Toad's release). I love the Star Fox series to death & probably logged more hours into 64 than I can recall, but these days simply having amazing on-rails combat isn't enough, especially if it's gonna be the big Wii U game of the Holidays (assuming it is their big Holiday title that'll fill the void of now-delayed Zelda U).

Like I said earlier, Kid Icarus Uprising would be a fantastic template for what I hope Star Fox U is, a good mix of on-rails air combat & ground-based combat.

That's what I'm talking about. "Isn't enough" for who? For people who aren't that into on-rails shooters? Okay, that's cool, that's up to personal taste, but that doesn't matter for people who are. For the mass market? I agree that Star Fox 64 probably wouldn't do too well as a $60 retail game - but why should we, as individual players, care about that at all? If someone wants a rail shooter with high production values, I don't think there's anything absurd about that (even though it's unrealistic). If the game is high quality, it's no more barebones than a great platformer, a great third-person-shooter, or a great shmup.

For the record I don't particularly care if this game is a full rail-shooter, nor do I really expect it to be. I guess it turning out to be a top-tier entry in that genre would be one of the best things we could get out of this but whatever.

You brought up Kid Icarus Uprising but I don't think that's a great comparison. The on-rails bits in that game are cool-looking and decently fun, but they're really shallow even when compared to the original Star Fox games - of course they couldn't stand on their own. I'd rather point to Sin and Punishment 2, which is all on-rails and a masterpiece (in fact, if anything I'd say the biggest weakness of the game is that it might be too long for something that's kind of supposed to be arcade-like).

Assault's problem wasn't because it was more. It was because it was unpolished.

in this and age? it isn't tbqh

KIU showed it can be done

I agree with you on why Assault was flawed, but that's not the point I was making. Assault isn't inherently better or worse than the original Star Fox games because it has multiple game types within it; that's all I was saying.

I think Uprising is kind of funny because it sort of fits with what ShockingAlberto was saying, but in the opposite way. The third-person shooter bits are very clearly the meat of the game, while the on-rails shooter bits are really simple and feel more like style over substance. It's true that a big part of the game's character is that it routinely switches between those two game types in every level, but I don't think Uprising would be a massively worse game if you removed or cut down on the on-rails bits, because it feels like the developers were having trouble consistently making them fresh and interesting. They aren't padding, but they do detract from the game and don't add a whole lot.

I understand and agree with the notion there are times sequels should be more of the same, but here, what some want more of the same of was already as good as I could have wanted — SF64 was great, but another game just like it would only have longevity in regards to its score-attack nature (aside from just being fun) and that isn't something I'm that interested in for this series. Competitive and cooperative multiplayer using systems introduced in Assault is far more interesting to me and having gameplay be strictly Arwing-based without possibility of mid-fight vehicle switching or on-foot vs. Awring vs. Landmaster asymmetric gameplay would guarantee it'd be less interesting to me.

I think there's plenty that could be done with pure on-rails shooters. The fact that Sin and Punishment 2 exists and is incredibly far beyond any Star Fox game ever released is testament to that - there is clearly a lot that can still be done with the genre. I think it's simplifying things to say the games have to be about score attacking too - you could take cues from great top-down shooters / shmups and make the games highly challenging, possibly even with tight arcade-style pacing and a fairly punishing retry structure to encourage mastery of the game. There is certainly a lot you could do to make an on-rails shooter stand alone as a fully fledged and satisfying action game; it's not a dead-end genre at all.

Not that I think Nintendo would ever do that kind of stuff though. So whatever.

MagnesD3

Yeah as long as there is quality content in its place. Im hoping this game wont be super short, Ive waited too long for that...

Id like this game to be as epic as Star Fox deserves to be, imo it was always the franchise with the most potential. There are so many great directions it could take and do it amazingly and cover places that nintendo has no genre in ( like third person action/shooting for on foot sections) while keeping an arcade feel to each section with tons of unlockables and even a hub in between levels aka the great fox for selecting what missions to go on and upgrading various vehicles/abilities for each pilot or even the great fox itself. Your currency to unlock these various customization could be based on your scores and rankings for each level. Of course they would have to have a ton of vehicle missions and various bosses like any star fox fan would desire I just think a linear mass effectish/dmc ish on the ground combat could be an interesting and awesome take to add variety and depth. Im wanting alot from this game and I know I wont get probably any of it but Its nice to dream about your favorite nintendo series especially when its just primed full of potential. At this point though what matters most is that its a quality title.

And project guard cOuld be on some W101, gurren lagan shit in starfox. This could also be like a saturday morning cartoon feel kind of game. Picking different episodes or whatever every arwing flying around until its time to face the boss and turn into a megazord!! That would be ballin and the voice acting would fit right in.

Zalman

Assault was a bad and unpolished game, but I'm of the opinion that that's where the franchise should go. If they build upon that and fix up the issues, it could be an incredible game.

That said, I don't think that's what we're going to get with this one.

In most cases that'd be correct (correct me if I'm wrong), imagine if Kid Icarus Uprising was just on-rails air combat. Once again, they should use KIU as a template (more so in the balancing of gameplay types than anything else). Though I always thought that Star Fox could be a great answer to Warhawk from a multiplayer standpoint if done right.

Kid Icarus: Uprising could have been a Star Fox game. KI and SF were the two franchises Sakurai was deciding between when designing it.

http://techland.time.com/2010/06/28...kes-kid-icarus-fly-again-on-the-nintendo-3ds/

Did you think of any other Nintendo characters besides Pit when you’re thinking about who you would like to make a game of?

Yes, there actually was one other and that was Star Fox. But the problem with Star Fox was that—and you’ll see this when you see the trailer for Kid Icarus––is that the game design incorporates a lot of different views. For example, flying and shooting sideways or turning around and shooting behind and I felt that there were some restrictions with Star Fox in this regard. With Pit, there is a certain amount of flexibility that is allowed and makes a better fit for this gameplay.

I guess I'm just thrown off by a lot of the responses here when a lot of the details have been spilled by Miyamoto and are sitting right in the OP!

The vehicle transformation sounds cool. It just isn't the same as hopping out of a vehicle then jumping into another.

I once had a friend jump on top of my arwing during an Assault vs. match. I climbed out and we both started firing at one another from atop the ship as it kept flying on its own. I'm trying to think of a way something similar could happen with strictly vehicle-based gameplay but I'm not coming up with anything.

Ivan 3414

A retail pure on-rail shooter is delusional in 2015. But given how out of touch Nintendo has been lately they may actually believe that it is a good idea.

lol. Come on dude.

If they thought it was a good idea, wouldn't we have gotten more Star Fox games? It's been 10 years since there was a console Star Fox.

the direct was more of a april to september kind of thing.. starfox will probably be shown at e3. i doubt it will be the big holiday title though

Assault had by far the best gameplay in the series. And I LOVED 64 growing up, but Assault's multiplayer was something else. If they can mix all the elements (on-foot, free roam/on-rails Arwing/landmaster/other vehicles, and perhaps others) to perfection I would love it. If it's only an on-rails shooter, I'm not interested in it anymore... as cool as the franchise is.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Semi-related, but now that we know we're getting more Smash DLC I wonder if they'll be releasing Wolf to coincide with this.

Top Bottom