• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Zero & Guard - Review Thread

sfried

Actually, I'd say the motion controls are the least of my problems.

The problem is that, at least for me, Star Fox feels extremely outdated and Zero doesn't do much to help it. The levels aren't very interesting, the whole thing feels short, and while there's replayability, I wouldn't say that it's done in a way that makes me want to keep coming back.

The motion controls are just a thing that seem questionable, but hardly a deal breaker.
These are your own impressions, right?

Interesting. I'll see upon playing the game once I get it in the mail.

SCChappy

Banned

Lunar15

Kid Icarus Uprising.

This, basically. I enjoyed Kid Icarus so much, even despite all the control complaints, mainly because it's a game that felt fresh, strange, and really interesting. All of that was enough to help me want to tackle the controls and get good at what it wanted me to do.

Star Fox Zero isn't really that. It's just some beats from 64 with some new levels sprinkled here and there. Of the new things, I'd say it's a 50/50 good to bad ratio.

Options are good, but I don't care what the game sold...

THIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl_Y7dPrV50#t=1m33s

yeah... that!

All hail Wiimote & Chuk! Remodel that **** to have dual analog, dual shoulders, diamond face, clickable sticks and so on, and pack it in with NX Home, PLEASE Nintendo!

See I can agree with this, you can repurpose the controller to have tech based on something like the PS4 which IMO does motion control better than the gamepad.
Relying on just gyro is outdated when you got things like Vive out in the open.

Games in 2002.

Rez
Parappa the Rapper 2
Grandia 2
Maximo
Jet Set Radio Future
Zone of the Enders
UFC Tapout
Fatal Frame
Tony Hawk Pro Sakter 3
Virtua Fighter 4
Bloody Roar 3
Resident Evil Remake
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowwind
Final Fantasy XI
Wipeout Fusion
Warcraft 3
Virtua Tennis 2
Super Mario Sunshine
SOCOM
Onimusha 2
Castlevania: HoD
Sly Cooper
Tekken 4
Burnout 2
Grandia Xtreme
Wild Arms 3
Balder's Gate: Dark Alliance
Suikoden 3
GTA: Vice City
WWE Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth
Ratchet and Clank
Metroid Prime
Metroid Fusion
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

You know what? I'll fucking take 2002.
You forgot Kingdom Hearts.

And a personal favorite of mine, Star Fox Adventures. Yes, I liked it.

Actually, I'd say the motion controls are the least of my problems.

The problem is that, at least for me, Star Fox feels extremely outdated and Zero doesn't do much to help it. The levels aren't very interesting, the whole thing feels short, and while there's replayability, I wouldn't say that it's done in a way that makes me want to keep coming back.

The motion controls are just a thing that seem questionable, but hardly a deal breaker.

Just wanna say I've enjoyed your impressions on the game since way before pre-release. I've been going back and forth on this title but I think my views are gonna mirror yours the most. Thanks for being open minded about the whole thing.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of 7-to-10 reviews, yet it's supposed to be a disaster? Is there a reward of some sort for irrationally hating on this game?

It's not game of the year material and, without surprise, it's a niche game that doesn't appeal to everyone, but so far it looks to be far from a disaster. I really don't get why this game is so hated on.

Warxard

Banned
Games in 2002.

Star Fox Zero looking more like Ty the Tasmanian Tiger-tier mediocre instead of like, Tak and the Power of Juju mediocre.

It's not game of the year material and, without surprise, it's a niche game that doesn't appeal to everyone, but so far it looks to be far from a disaster. I really don't get why this game is so hated on.

It's yet another not very visually appealing Star Fox sequel/prequel/spinoff post SF 64 with some annoying mechanic shoehorned in for the majority of the game that totally hampers the rest of the game.

I would have openly accepted 'yet another Star Fox game' sure but I really dislike gyroscope aiming and I hate that it was forced for this one game.

J@hranimo

Banned
Some people are buying the bait posts in this review thread lol

Well have fun discussing this and that. Hope to see some enjoying the game in the OT on Friday!

Lots of 7-to-10 reviews, yet it's supposed to be a disaster? Is there a reward of some sort for irrationally hating on this game?

People aren't hating on the game here that's just hyperbole.

SCChappy

Banned

7/10 in game reviewing means mediocre instead of meaning decent-to-good as you'd think it would

Zalman

Needs an average of at least 8 to be considered good, sadly.

Lunar15

Just wanna say I've enjoyed your impressions on the game since way before pre-release. I've been going back and forth on this title but I think my views are gonna mirror yours the most. Thanks for being open minded about the whole thing.

The only scary thing to me is that I agreed with Dan. When I heard him mention this stuff on the bombcast, I broke out into a sweat.

Nevertheless, I want people to enjoy this game more than I did. For all I know i'm just a jaded old person now, and other people can find the enjoyment in a game like this. I really think there's a solid core group of people on this board who will enjoy what this game is offering. I think there's a wider group of people who would like it too, but 60 dollars is way too steep of a price for them.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Can't fathom how someone would give this game more than 6.

Nintendo games always get a free-pass. The only Nintendo game that I remember the press destroying is Doshin The Giant.

LOL! Or they get scored lower because "they dont use the gamepad" or "why is this exclusive" or "motion lol" or something else. Come on, this goes both ways.

Nemesis_

Oh I am not harping on motion controls, I mean just gyro controls. I figured if you could use a Wiimote Plus to aim it would probably be better. Gyro controls are not as accurate as stuff you get on Move/Wiimote Plus.

Yeah, I like when they let you use whatever control scheme you want. It's something they really have over the other consoles. But I just feel like the design of Zero wouldn't work with a pointer. You need to see in the cockpit and external to play certain sections. Maybe that's just my opinion. Bit it just wouldn't work otherwise.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii-u/star-fox-zero

Let's not claim it's reviewing well. It doesn't. It's not because it's a niche game at all.
Here some niche shooters:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/star-fox-64-3d
http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/sin-punishment-star-successor
http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/kid-icarus-uprising

Games in 2002.

Rez
Parappa the Rapper 2
Grandia 2
Maximo
Jet Set Radio Future
Zone of the Enders
UFC Tapout
Fatal Frame
Tony Hawk Pro Sakter 3
Virtua Fighter 4
Bloody Roar 3
Resident Evil Remake
Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowwind
Final Fantasy XI
Wipeout Fusion
Warcraft 3
Virtua Tennis 2
Super Mario Sunshine
SOCOM
Onimusha 2
Castlevania: HoD
Sly Cooper
Tekken 4
Burnout 2
Grandia Xtreme
Wild Arms 3
Balder's Gate: Dark Alliance
Suikoden 3
GTA: Vice City
WWE Smackdown: Shut Your Mouth
Ratchet and Clank
Metroid Prime
Metroid Fusion
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

I think Dan's quote is being taken out of context. What I think he means is that the genre has evolved since 2002 and this game doesn't feel like it has evolved with it. For example, games like Sin and Punishment 2 exist. Feels like a very modern take on the Star Fox template. A lot of those games have aged well since 2002 - in his eyes, Star Fox hasn't.

Edit: also want to point out that 2002 was stacked. jesus.

21XX

Banned
"There’s fantastic boss battles. There’s on-foot segments (kind of) that don’t ruin the game’s pacing. There’s a wide variety of vehicles that can transform on-the-fly."

There is boss battles? There is on foot segments? There is vehicles?

If you can't write properly, your review shouldn't be included in the mix. Garbage.

Wait for the review thread for UC4 when a site gives the game an 8 or, hell, even a 9! People will declare the game a Naugthy God failure and wish Amy Hennig back.

I'm probably going to do a write up on UC4 but if this happens I'm going to be damn disappointed.

Also NateDrake care to share your impressions?

Indelible

About what I expected after seeing the gamepad controls, I'am sure I will enjoy it but I really wish they would have put in traditional controls.

Yeah, I like when they let you use whatever control scheme you want. It's something they really have over the other consoles. But I just feel like the design of Zero wouldn't work with a pointer. You need to see in the cockpit and external to play certain sections. Maybe that's just my opinion. Bit it just wouldn't work otherwise.
It could be, I have no place to judge until I get my hands on it.
Overall I am not a fan of gyro but like regular motion controls.

It could be like Skyward Sword where maybe only a portion will have issues adapting. Skyward Sword was a mixed bag for me since sometimes it worked perfect and others it crapped the bed.

I've finished adding many, many reviews to the OP. If there is one you'd particularly like to see added, please let me know. Thanks all!

Metro Gamecentral:

In Short: The sort of expertly orchestrated action you’d expect from a team-up between Nintendo and Platinum, but the lack of innovation is a little disappointing.

Pros: Finely honed third and first person action, with a wide range of vehicles that are a pleasure to control. Co-op options are a neat addition. Some great bosses and wonderfully cheesy dialogue.

Cons: The gameplay, and large parts of the stage design, are almost identical to the original games. Multi-view display adds very little and there’s a relative paucity of content.

Score: 8/10[/I]

http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/20/star-fox-zero-review-platinum-do-a-barrel-roll-5829937/

Warxard

Banned
I think Dan's quote is being taken out of context. What I think he means is that the genre has evolved since 2002 and this game doesn't feel like it has evolved with it. For example, games like Sin and Punishment 2 exist. Feels like a very modern take on the Star Fox template. A lot of those games have aged well since 2002 - in his eyes, Star Fox hasn't.

I didn't interpret it like this actually. And he's right. Rodea the Sky Soldier, Sin and Punishment 2, Resident Evil chronicles, Kid Icarus Uprising. There are way better rail shooters out there.

either way, i hope this sells well enough to warrant an nx sequel with a bigger budget and full-on development

You'll get a Star Fox Adventures port for NX and you will like it.

L Thammy

Seems like a few of these are docking the game for being a rail shooter. Out of curiousity, are there any other genres that are automatic demerits? I'm sure there are, they're just not coming to my mind right now.

Jeffrey

any review mention the time it took them to finish all the branching paths?

It's not like star fox 64's branching paths made it that much longer.

SCChappy

Banned
"There’s fantastic boss battles. There’s on-foot segments (kind of) that don’t ruin the game’s pacing. There’s a wide variety of vehicles that can transform on-the-fly."

There is boss battles? There is on foot segments? There is vehicles?

If you can't write properly, your review shouldn't be included in the mix. Garbage.

nvm, misread the post

I figured that too, but I sometimes feel that restrictions games had back then made them better then some current games today.

Lunar15

It could be, I have no place to judge until I get my hands on it.
Overall I am not a fan of gyro but like regular motion controls.

It could be like Skyward Sword where maybe only a portion will have issues adapting.

It'll probably be like that. I can understand because I really enjoyed Skyward Sword's motion controls, but it was a huge turnoff for a lot of people.

Star Fox's controls didn't do anything for me, but plenty of reviewers have had no issues adapting.

My problems lie with the fact that the game feels really, really budget. It just feels barebones and the motion controls, even if you get used to them, don't bring a whole lot to the experience to make it exciting again.

Seems like a few of these are docking the game for being a rail shooter. Out of curiousity, are there any other genres that are automatic demerits? I'm sure there are, they're just not coming to my mind right now.

There's only a handful of good rail-shooting levels in this game. About 3 or 4 that I genuinely liked. The rest of the levels are all range mode or some kind of gyro-copter/walker variant. I would have loved if this game had more of the rail-shooting levels as they weren't half bad. It's kind of like Assault all over again, in some ways. There's just not enough core StarFox in there, and the stuff that is there doesn't even feel that fresh.

Regiruler

Reviews are pretty much what I expected.

Not really. The flying sections are great but they're a small part of the game.
While I hold KIU in immensely high regard, its rail shooter portions are worse than anything in Star Successor.

The flying portions alone would not make for a very good rail shooter.

Top Bottom