• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5 : Integrity and Faithlessness - Import Impressions

?_?
The average completion time right here in this OT is about 25 hours. Maybe a couple of people rushed, but I certainly did not. I did about 65% of the sidequests. I didn't do anything in the postgame, but that's not really relevant to this.

I think they are referring to the 10 hour thing. Kind of like people started saying that Uncharted 4 was 6 hours because it could be completed that quickly in theory, but it is not really fair to call it a 6 hour game.

kewlmyc

Star Ocean 5 |OT| Actually Star Ocean 3
Star Ocean 5 |OT| Let's Ignore the last Two Games
Star Ocean 5 |OT| The Third Game in the Series
Star Ocean 5 |OT| Starring Fidel (not Castro)
Star Ocean 5 |OT| What's Wrong with Your Face?

I vote for "What's Wrong with Your Faaaaace?"

Mesharey

Started playing it today.. kinda disappointed with the lack of cutscenes and the bad camera. :/

I loved Star Ocean 4, played it like 150 hours, but the beginning here is so disappointing, lack of cutscenes as well.

Started playing it today.. kinda disappointed with the lack of cutscenes and the bad camera. :/

I loved Star Ocean 4, played it like 150 hours, but the beginning here is so disappointing, lack of cutscenes as well.
Damn...starting to get really worried. If there's 1 cutscene every few hours or something, I'll be real disappointed.

Really curious what the ratio is.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Considering SO3 is the best one, these jokes are falling flat :p Especially when trying to compare it in quality to 4
It was more about the chronology of the series and 3's plot twist that they are trying to move away from

I forgot 4 was actually a distant prequel.

Also 2 was the best one

This game wasn't really on my radar but all this talk about short length and lack of cutscenes just made me order it on amazon. I'm excited to play it.

zeromcd73

Damn...starting to get really worried. If there's 1 cutscene every few hours or something, I'll be real disappointed.

There isn't many. It's been a couple of months since I played this game and can't remember much (since it's so unmemorable), but I can't recall more than a hand full or so. The direction for them is also kinda weird as well, I felt.

Mesharey

No clue yet, the cutscenes are kinda in the gameplay, I mean when you walk the characters talk and stuff.

It's short as I read, that's good for me at least.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Star Ocean 5 |OT| Actually Star Ocean 3
Star Ocean 5 |OT| Let's Ignore the last Two Games
Star Ocean 5 |OT| The Third Game in the Series
Star Ocean 5 |OT| Starring Fidel (not Castro)
Star Ocean 5 |OT| What's Wrong with Your Face?

Sorry, I have another one. :p

Can't wait for my copy to arrive.

Star Ocean 5 |OT| Consortium and Foreignness

I like this one.

The camera seemed fine to me in the gameplay footage I've seen so I hope I don't mind it.

But I am glad that interviews have said that a potential next Star Ocean would likely bring back atleast somewhat more of the cutscenes. I like the camera being cinematically focused on the characters and action for most story-centric scenes so less of that does seem weird even despite not getting to play it yet. A better mix between the two might be good.

It seems like there is plenty of dialogue at least in the gameplay camera story/character scenes from the couple of longer gameplay videos that have been released so I think I'll be okay with it for this time.

Wagram

My thought process on this is similar to what Aeana said awhile back: Think of it like a reboot, but with the simplicity of the PS1 days. I was against the lack of cutscenes idea awhile back, but there's still dialogue at least. I can't state FF8 is my favorite game of all time, but vilify S05 when the former is standing characters with text boxes over their heads. If this one succeeds i'm sure they'll add more to the next one. This series was essentially dead and only given a modest, but low budget.

Rpgmonkey

The camera seemed fine to me in the gameplay footage I've seen so I hope I don't mind it.

In most instances I felt the camera was perfectly fine, but I will say that it's overly sensitive when it comes to following your character as you explore. So say, any little change in elevation as you run through a field or something will have the camera bobbing up and down slightly.

I found it a little disorienting, but with some camera adjustments and time, I got used to it.

MilkBeard

My thought process on this is similar to what Aeana said awhile back: Think of it like a reboot, but with the simplicity of the PS1 days. I was against the lack of cutscenes idea awhile back, but there's still dialogue at least. I can't state FF8 is my favorite game of all time, but vilify S05 when the former is standing characters with text boxes over their heads. If this one succeeds i'm sure they'll add more to the next one. This series was essentially dead and only given a modest, but low budget.

Yep. I'm still pretty much in tune with older games, with having dialogue be a part of the gameplay. I think this is actually okay, as if the writing is really bad, then at least you don't have to sit and watch some cringy shit very often.

SO4 was pretty bad in this regard, especially with the English voice acting. However, Resonance of Fate was actually pretty good. It was a serious game, but it had a lot of humor that made the game feel like it didn't take itself too seriously. I kind of wish for more of that style from Tri-Ace.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

There aren't many traditional cutscenes in this game. Only at the very most important parts. It seems they didn't have the budget to go for cinematography and so settled for in game with voice overs

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Never played a Star Ocean game before, how does this compare to the likes of Zestiria?

Combat is much better, upgrade system is less confusing, story is more contained, less dumb. Characters are actually pretty nice, i would say Zestirias was bland as hell.

Combat is much better, upgrade system is less confusing, story is more contained, less dumb. Characters are actually pretty nice, i would say Zestirias was bland as hell.

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. Pretty much sold on it. Hearing that Sakuraba seems to deliver more on SO soundtracks than Tales is a massive plus too. OST is a huge part of the game for me.

Yeah, I think he does his best work on Star Ocean music too.

In most instances I felt the camera was perfectly fine, but I will say that it's overly sensitive when it comes to following your character as you explore. So say, any little change in elevation as you run through a field or something will have the camera bobbing up and down slightly.

I found it a little disorienting, but with some camera adjustments and time, I got used to it.

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I don't mind it for this game. Even moreso as their first one back, especially since there still seems to be plenty of voiced dialogue.

eXistor

So after playing about 20 hours so far, my opinion hasn't changed: this is a fun, addicting little rpg. I can still absolutely see why people wouldn't like it, but to me it's exactly what I wanted it to be: a throwback to PS2 rpg's with some great tunes and nice mechnanics. Don't go in expecting a 2016 game and you should be fine. I love how fast-paced almost everything is. I'd say my main gripe would be the backtracking (which is why I said "almost everything"), but usually I don't even mind that because it all feels so smooth and I like traversing the maps.

Again, don't go in expecting anything groundbreaking and you'll find a fun addicting little rpg that's well worth your time. If you're on the fence watch some reviews that cover both sides of the love/hate spectrum I guess and decide for yourself.

/edit: I should also note that the game is almost laughably low-budget. The corners they have had to cut are so obvious it's almost funny. Almost nothing gets animated, most things happen off-screen. It almost gives it an OG Star Trek feel. Personally I'm a fan of low-budget things when the actual game is solid, and this definitely qualifies for me.

Cornbread78

So after playing about 20 hours so far, my opinion hasn't changed: this is a fun, addicting little rpg. I can still absolutely see why people wouldn't like it, but to me it's exactly what I wanted it to be: a throwback to PS2 rpg's with some great tunes and nice mechnanics. Don't go in expecting a 2016 game and you should be fine. I love how fast-paced almost everything is. I'd say my main gripe would be the backtracking (which is why I said "almost everything"), but usually I don't even mind that because it all feels so smooth and I like traversing the maps.

Again, don't go in expecting anything groundbreaking and you'll find a fun addicting little rpg that's well worth your time. If you're on the fence watch some reviews that cover both sides of the love/hate spectrum I guess and decide for yourself.

/edit: I should also note that the game is almost laughably low-budget. The corners they have had to cut are so obvious it's almost funny. Almost nothing gets animated, most things happen off-screen. It almost gives it an OG Star Trek feel. Personally I'm a fan of low-budget things when the actual game is solid, and this definitely qualifies for me.

Hey buddy, you mind want to repost this in the below OT for the game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1239495

Top Bottom