• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness |OT| Once more into the undiscovered ocean

Xenus

Side missions and sone trophy hunting later... Does it let you go back later? Or do I have to play through again on ng+?

Well there is a
a spot to escape in the final dungeon even after the this is final thing. It's supposed to be where you leave the final dungeon after winning to do post game but it's open before then. Look for a cathedral warp. It takes you to fidel's house. Also after you win you can load your last save, back out of the dungeon by that warp and do quests and trophies in addition to the post game dungeon.

Stage On

Welp done one run of the post game dungeon and I feel like I'm done with this game. I managed to get a good chunk of the trophies but getting the rest would take more time then I feel it'd be worth.

It was a fun game for the most part despite it's flaws. It really doesn't explain some things to you well enough. Like the fact you can actually run on the field, didn't find that out until I was 60 hours into it.

That said by the time you reach the Bonus dungon it really comes apart. For being max leveled with nearly the best equipment in the game you really don't feel nearly as powerful as you should compared to say a Tales game.

Instead of making the bonus bosses interesting to fight they are just damage sponges that you wake away at for a while until they die. But what really takes the cake is that they don't always drop some items which you need to craft things for trophies.

Beating those bosses is the only way to get those drops and it's a total pain in the ass to have since not only do you have to reload a save to fight them from scatch but you have to drag yourself thought the dungon maze first to rematch them which makes it even more tedious.

Man, the cutscenes are so bad. Most don't even have any camera work and scene framing. And the dialogue is so poorly written and so stilted. There is a gap of like 5 seconds after every sentence. You don't even know if the conversation is over or not. Then there are the characters that act like 8 year olds...

I'm still early game (Taking
Relia to Resulia
), but this might end up being the worst RPG I've every played if this continues on. At least the gameplay seems good so far.

The worst part is when the characters discuss plot heavy shit during combat and you can't hear a fucking thing over "DOUBLE SLASH" "DOUBLE SLASH" "DOUBLE SLASH"

Xenus

The worst part is when the characters discuss plot heavy shit during combat and you can't hear a fucking thing over "DOUBLE SLASH" "DOUBLE SLASH" "DOUBLE SLASH"

It annoyed me more when the whole group was together and Anne and Emmerson would have conversation off by themselves whispering behind the conversation. I made sure to face the camera towards them after they did that a few times...

Dawg

Probably missing something but I gave Fidel Dead Man Walking and Draugr but I don't understand how to get hp back with Draigr. Using normal attacks but my HP just keeps dropping without gaining anything except healing from Miki.

Cornbread78

Well there is a
a spot to escape in the final dungeon even after the this is final thing. It's supposed to be where you leave the final dungeon after winning to do post game but it's open before then. Look for a cathedral warp. It takes you to fidel's house. Also after you win you can load your last save, back out of the dungeon by that warp and do quests and trophies in addition to the post game dungeon.

Ok, I'll see what I can do Fri night when I load it up. I'm at thr save spot right before thd final boss..

I am really enjoying this game! It definitely feels like a budget title after 3 and 4 but the battle system is just too fun. The story and characters are definitely better than The Last Hope (although I couldn't stand that game after 50% so maybe it got better).

The callbacks to SO3 are bringing back memories. SO3 is one of my favorite games in the PS2 era. The reuse of music and battle skills worked for me. I wish this team would remake SO3 with the tech and features in this game (and somehow edit out that plot twist!).

I believe I'm close to the ending
just finished the Signesilica part
and I honestly feel it's a 7.5/10. Lots of flaws but fun.

Cornbread78

Alright, time to go into the final door. I might stream it so my buddy can watch and tell me where I'm fucking up if I run into issues.

Cornbread78

I don't even know what to say about that ending. Imahine if they used that beautiful CG throughout? Aside ftom that, I feel a little let down at how kinda lame that was... well, it was a
cute picture of those three, but lame in terms of charachter/relationship developement

Xenus

I don't even know what to say about that ending. Imahine if they used that beautiful CG throughout? Aside ftom that, I feel a little let down at how kinda lame that was... well, it was a
cute picture of those three, but lame in terms of charachter/relationship developement

Well there are
Different endings based on hide relationship points. But the game obviously rigs it so yet get Fidel/Miki/Relia if you aren't trying to specifically influence the outcome by being a jerk to certain characters.

Lime

For the Star Ocean/tri-ace fans: Not sure about sales yet in the West, but at least the Collector's Edition is sold out now.

Shahed

For the Star Ocean/tri-ace fans: Not sure about sales yet in the West, but at least the Collector's Edition is sold out now.
Honestly after this game I'm not sure how much a fan I am anymore. Obviously a lot of that is down to budget but I'm hearing similar things from Exist Archive to.

Yup, same for me. Not sure how interested I am in mediocre/underwhelming low budget game (with shitty character designs) even if it's by tri-ace.

But I'd insta-buy a Valkyrie Profile 3 on principle alone.
Yeah Valkyrie Profile is always game. I'd love a new one. Just hope they won't mess that up either

Lime

Honestly after this game I'm not sure how much a fan I am anymore. Obviously a lot of that is down to budget but I'm hearing similar things from Exist Archive to.

Yup, same for me. Not sure how interested I am in mediocre/underwhelming low budget game (with shitty character designs) even if it's by tri-ace.

But I'd insta-buy a Valkyrie Profile 3 on principle alone.

Anything I should know before I start?

Important missables and whatnot that would require a guide?

Or can I just jump right in?

note: I don't care about trophies, just actual game impacting stuff

Been enjoying the game so far. I'm about 6 hours which puts me
at the second "Protect Anne while she does techno junk" section

The game feels very 90s in it's approach. It's refreshing that this game has no cutscenes so things develop very quickly. I like that in the first couple hours I realized I that a lot of stuff happened. It reminded me of old JRPGs where there aren't long drawn on cinematics so you end up getting through a lot of content faster.

The characters however feel like they're from some 90s JRPG with them basically being cliche archetypes and nothing more, Miki especially with her being cliche "JRPG female #47". Also the writing is pretty hilarious for the wrong reasons. I laughed pretty hard when a bad guy called me a "stupid idiot" and other random mean things.

I am still enjoying it though. It's not bad, but it's also not exceptional. It's just average. It's probably the most average JRPG I've ever played. I'm gonna keep playing it to see how things play out and so I can finally beat one of these Star Ocean games (The only other one I've played was about 10 hours of Till the End of Time)

Also the "Protect Anne" portions are shit. They're just awful. Not impossibly hard. Just awful.

Exentryk

The game can be pretty at times. And the music is really nice in this area.

iWn2Sb8.png

Xenus

Anything I should know before I start?

Important missables and whatnot that would require a guide?

Or can I just jump right in?

note: I don't care about trophies, just actual game impacting stuff

Yeah the only real missables are probably PA's and some bestiary stuff. I'm not sure if the PA' that have roles attached to them are misabe or not but that'd be the only gameplay impacting part.

Just finished the game and man this was a game with a usually good combat system but nothing else.

If I could rate it just on the combat and things revolving around the combat like the role system and such then it's an 8.

Shame the rest of the game sucks

5/10

Let it go on record that the flying tank enemies are complete horse shit. I wiped to those things immediately dumping that ranged attack on my party more than any other boss.

Just finished the game and man this was a game with a usually good combat system but nothing else.

If I could rate it just on the combat and things revolving around the combat like the role system and such then it's an 8.

Shame the rest of the game sucks

5/10

Let it go on record that the flying tank enemies are complete horse shit. I wiped to those things immediately dumping that ranged attack on my party more than any other boss.

So... it's a tri-Ace game, good to know.

Clarification: Most tA games have so-so or outright bad stories, even my beloved VP, RS and SO3. But the combat is always the draw for me, anyway.

Paltheos

Clarification: Most tA games have so-so or outright bad stories, even my beloved VP, RS and SO3. But the combat is always the draw for me, anyway.

Blasphemer. Valkyrie Profile's story is fantastic. I mean, the main scenario is fine, but the vignettes, the actual bulk of the game, are great. They're written and directed with a personal feel and a subtlety rarely seen in the genre and supported by Sakuraba's finest musical score.

Same deal with Resonance of Fate actually... although the main scenario of that turned out just bad. The chapter to chapter stories that teach you a little bit about the characters and world or just play around are all great. (in before Vashyron dance gif?)

It's way deeper than that. Other tri-ace games also have better designed worlds and better systems. Hell even Stat Ocean 4 had a good world that wasn't a complete slog to get around in.

Seriously, the world design is terrible. You get fast travel for like 5 minutes then they take it away from you until right at the end of the game, even then it doesn't take you to the cities. There's so much backtracking and the world itself is so minuscule. Enemies are static so you literally see the exact same group of enemies at the exact same location each time until they turn into the more powerful versio of that same enemy later in the game.

Tri-ace games aren't known for their great stories or scripts but this game's script and voice acting are middle school drama club production at best. Shit even the production values are trash.

It's blatantly obvious this game had an abysmally low budget.

Blasphemer. Valkyrie Profile's story is fantastic. I mean, the main scenario is fine, but the vignettes, the actual bulk of the game, are great. They're written and directed with a personal feel and a subtlety rarely seen in the genre and supported by Sakuraba's finest musical score.

Same deal with Resonance of Fate actually... although the main scenario of that turned out just bad. The chapter to chapter stories that teach you a little bit about the characters and world or just play around are all great. (in before Vashyron dance gif?)

Only like half of them had any meaning, IMO. The main story with Lezard and company was actually more interesting than some of the per-character vignettes, but the overall story package, while still great, shows its holes the more you play it. There was a ton of stuff that felt like they never completed and even more backstory from some of it (Lucio/Lucian's entire group story, Celia being the only one of her group to survive the entire story surrounding Grey, etc). It's definitely on the upper tier f tri-Ace stories, but it's still not amazing. It is, however, incredibly depressing.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A few more levels till I hit max, and only one boss to beat before I can finally take on the Ethereal Queen and finish this junk off. But I can't beat the
shadow versions of your 6 characters
, I have Anne with Draugir, Dead Man Walking, Berserker, and her best weapon maxed with Critical Hit to 100% chance. I attack the healer first, but no dice. Get wiped out too quickly, and getting through the dungeon back to that point is a bit of an annoyance.

Paltheos

Only like half of them had any meaning, IMO. The main story with Lezard and company was actually more interesting than some of the per-character vignettes, but the overall story package, while still great, shows its holes the more you play it. There was a ton of stuff that felt like they never completed and even more backstory from some of it (Lucio/Lucian's entire group story, Celia being the only one of her group to survive the entire story surrounding Grey, etc). It's definitely on the upper tier f tri-Ace stories, but it's still not amazing. It is, however, incredibly depressing.

Those stories never needed those extra details explained, and they're probably better left to the player's imagination anyway. What's core to them is the personal struggles off their ill-fated protagonists, which the game communicates wonderfully through simple but effective writing and direction and its sharp musical score.

Most of the finer details are window dressing although I will say I like the 'Grey arc' as a whole for hammering home how shitty life in Midgard is. A group of friends go out on a quest for answers and to help their friend, and they all fail, each in his own way. (and it's fitting and all we ever really needed to know that Celia is the last one standing)

The main story by comparison isn't as interesting. It gives some context to the tragedies, and I'm glad the overall message of the game is a positive one but some elements of it are too convenient? The whole half-elf nonsense seems like an excuse to get to a big, final battle, which I grant is exciting but the route to it doesn't feel tonally consistent with the rest of the game. Maybe I don't care for the specifics which Lezard meticulously points out. Maybe I think it's too hamfisted. I'm not quite sure, but I don't believe the conclusion is written as well as the rest of the game.

I'll just add that I measure Valkyrie Profile by the highest standards. I really believe it's one of the best games ever. These are minor complaints.

Shahed

Valkyrie Profile was awesome. The character vignettes and the whole atmosphere and tone of the narrative was a big part of that. The setting and music the accompanied it all was such a perfect match as well.

SO5 is the same team that made SO3 right?

would yall say it was better?

Some people may feel different, but I loved Star Ocean 3 and it's one of my favourite RPG's. Star Ocean 5 I just flat out did not like however.

Exentryk

Slowly getting my head around the gameplay aspects. The story seems to have picked up (Chapter 7 now), and the writing has been comparatively better than the start of the game. Also liking the various new areas in the game. When the game does cutscenes properly, it looks really good. The character art and models are pretty much CG quality, and I really like how they appear in game (Anne looks amazing!).

Overall, seem to be enjoying the game more than I was at the start of the game.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Anddd... beat Ethereal Queen last night. Pretty easy once you were at max level and have Dead Man Walking + Berserker + God Slayer + Draugir on Anne. Just kept spamming my X attacks and occasionally had to reseurrect Miki. But I had so much more trouble with the battle against the shadow party members (even with the same stats/setup). And I also had much more trouble with SO4's EQ, which drained all of my resources (and had a long lead up to it with a save-point-less bonus dungeon).

So it's finally time to put this to bed, easily my weakest game in the series and may even be my least favorite tri-Ace game (IU was a clunky mess too but at least it didn't have the expectations that a SO game has for me). It's weird, I was pretty bullish on this title and bearish on Setsuna based on importer impressions and watching videos, but when playing I feel the total opposite. Like Setsuna alot, but thought this was garbage. Sadly I don't think there's gonna be an SO6 considering this didn't do all too great.

Exentryk

There is a lot of grinding involved if you want to optimize your gear. I enjoy optimizing in RPGs, but it's not something I have the time/patience for if a game demands lots of grinding. Be so much better if this game had a PC version.
Not that the game is hard or anything. I mean you don't even need to play once you get your party strong enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GOIIIImdZ8

EDIT: Beat the final boss tonight. It was a nice little game overall, with mostly poor writing, average story, average music, decent cast, great character design (except one), and great gameplay. Emmerson was my favourite character, and his VA did an excellent job. Anne wasn't too far behind (she was favourite design out of all the characters).

This was my first ever Star Ocean game, and overall, I enjoyed the experience. The gameplay was what really carried the whole thing. If the game got some decent writers, and some budget for proper cutscene work, it could have been an excellent game.

Anyway, I'll be there if SE makes another Star Ocean. Hopefully they hire some proper writers for that. In the mean time, I have loads of post game content to get through, which is going to be a massive grind. Let's see how long I can keep at it.

Soriku

Does the battle system ever get better? Only being able to use two skills is ZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I'm basically spamming every fight. Don't even have to move my stick really.

Then the sidequests are just fetch quests, any point to those either? Some of them give you books and specialties but I feel unmotivated to do them.

I just got to Treikur and the story is been there, done that so it's doing nothing for me.

Don't feel like I'm getting anything out of the game right now. SO3 was one of my favorites and one of the most fun games on PS2, and I didn't think SO4 was that bad, but I have less patience these days and this game seems like a waste of time. Should I just sell it?

The game can be pretty at times. And the music is really nice in this area.

Yup. I think this was a good enough restart as long as they build off of it.

The main thing I want is the return to cutscenes (and a bigger story with the help of the return of cutscenes).

Slowly getting my head around the gameplay aspects. The story seems to have picked up (Chapter 7 now), and the writing has been comparatively better than the start of the game. Also liking the various new areas in the game. When the game does cutscenes properly, it looks really good. The character art and models are pretty much CG quality, and I really like how they appear in game (Anne looks amazing!).

Overall, seem to be enjoying the game more than I was at the start of the game.

Yeah.

theofficefan99

Does the battle system ever get better? Only being able to use two skills is ZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I'm basically spamming every fight. Don't even have to move my stick really.

Then the sidequests are just fetch quests, any point to those either? Some of them give you books and specialties but I feel unmotivated to do them.

I just got to Treikur and the story is been there, done that so it's doing nothing for me.

Don't feel like I'm getting anything out of the game right now. SO3 was one of my favorites and one of the most fun games on PS2, and I didn't think SO4 was that bad, but I have less patience these days and this game seems like a waste of time. Should I just sell it?

Nope, if you're using Fidel expect to use Double Slash for 95-100% of the game (at least the main story, never bothered with the post-game content).

The story will not do anything for you from beginning to end. Nothing really happens, last hour is pretty stupid and nonsensical, end credits.

You won't get anything out of the game. Only positive thing I can think of is the addictive nature of the Bonus Gauge, the artwork, and the music.

I already went into the game with low expectations but.... even then I was extremely disappointed.

Seriously, this game is a waste of time above all else. And yes it's only 20 hours (and this was with about 4-5 hours of grinding and completing some of the bulletin board stuff), but I was already getting sick of it around 13-14 hours in. The game seriously has absolutely nothing to offer. I can't think of another game I've played that felt like as much of a waste of time as this one.

Despera

Banned

If you can fetch a good price I say go for it. Game doesn't get better, unfortunately.

Exentryk

Finished the post-game content, and beat the Ethereal Queen (2 Winged) without using Dead Man Walking. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_zN_IrwcSM)
The other boss fights were fun too.

It's a shame that everything is so grindy for optimisation purposes. If there is ever a Star Ocean 6, I won't be buying it unless it releases on PC.

I started the game playing as Fidel coz no choice, and it was okay. The hits feel satisfying with the combo cancels, and so do the all the flashy moves. The dodge mechanic is clunky, and the interruptions from fast attacks are also annoying.

So, I switched to Emmerson, and the combat became a lot more fun. I was attacking from the sidelines, and got a better view of what everyone was doing. If Miki got too close to the enemies, I'd quickly move her away. It felt like I was managing the party better this way. Plus, I gave Emmerson the Berserker role, and he was killing things in one or two hits while being completely safe.

Yup. I think this was a good enough restart as long as they build off of it.

The main thing I want is the return to cutscenes (and a bigger story with the help of the return of cutscenes).

When they use proper cutscenes, the game looks awesome. The character models are really nice, so it's a real shame to not have proper cutscenes as much.

Other than that, if they get some decent writers (which I don't think they will), then this series could get somewhere.

Seik

Banned
I'm stuck at the boss fight right after
Fidel's father dies.

I get him like half HP then he starts doing this fucking blast attack where he downs half of my team and make me unable to recover before he does another one...

Grinding I guess?

Cornbread78

Fidel's father dies.

I get him like half HP then he starts doing this fucking blast attack where he downs half of my team and make me unable to recover before he does another one...

Grinding I guess?

yeah, I also started controlling Miki more about this time and just sat back and alternated between using her Fairy healing and destruction arts. I just kept everyone healthy and let them do the work.

Exentryk

Fidel's father dies.

Grinding I guess?

Control Emmerson. Give him the Berserker role, or any Attack+ roles. Keep attacking the boss from the sidelines, while making sure Miki isn't getting too close to the boss. Keep the Reserve Rush on Fidel, and as soon as the boss gets below halfish health, use your Reserve Rush.

You can see how I bet him here if you want ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTsMuamyCoc

Z3M0G

This game is on sale for $29.99 on PSN. I'm thinking about getting it, do you guys think it is worth it at that price?

Oh my... damn good that I didn't jump in day 1... I was going back and forth on this game for weeks. If I would have and saw this I would be kicking myself so hard right now...

From the impressions and what I've learned about the game, still not worth it though...

Tohsaka

This game is on sale for $29.99 on PSN. I'm thinking about getting it, do you guys think it is worth it at that price?

I'd say so, I didn't regret buying it at launch even. It's not the best Star Ocean game, but I still thought it was enjoyable.

Top Bottom