• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: Second Evolution coming to PS4/Vita

And none of them will probably be released outside Japan (unless if there's a PS4 version as well, in which case we might get the PS4 version only)...
With localization done for the PS4 there's little reason not to bring the Vita version. It wouldn't surprise me if it was download only though.

u_neek

Just going to throw it on the pile

Star Ocean 5
FF7 Remake
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Dragon Quest 10
Dragon Quest 11
Nier 2
Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue
World of Final Fantasy
FF15
Kingdom Hearts 3
Project Setsuna
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
SaGa Scarlet Grace

SE is on a fucking roll.

Ryan95

It's just a port of an already translated title: why shouldn't SE bring it to the West to gauge further interest for newcomers to the series?

Prelude.

And none of them will probably be released outside Japan (unless if there's a PS4 version as well, in which case we might get the PS4 version only)...
Considering they're releasing World of FF physically in the west for the Vita, I doubt that.

Star Ocean 5
FF7 Remake
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Dragon Quest 10
Dragon Quest 11
Nier 2
World of Final Fantasy
FF15
Kingdom Hearts 3
Project Setsuna
SaGa Scarlet Grace

Maybe they were finally reminded it's OK to just do what you do best.

Digital only for Vita. Retail for the PS4 (where applicable)

English version can also sell for Vita in Asia so no reason to ignore it altogether.

Star Ocean 5
FF7 Remake
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Dragon Quest 10
Dragon Quest 11
Nier 2
World of Final Fantasy
FF15
Kingdom Hearts 3
Project Setsuna
SaGa Scarlet Grace

That's just Square Enix. Jesus! How can I play all those games? PS4 has too many games.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That's just Square Enix. Jesus! How can I play all those games? PS4 has too many games.
Someone needs to do the reverse of this comic

th

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
OH MY GOODNESS

Just give us First Departure and I'm gonna almost smirk.

I could not be any happier with this. All in on Vita version of it gets localized.

Rymuth

I...am conflicted. I think the second game is the best in the series but I never played the PSP version so I'm unclear if it's better or worse than the PSX one...

I...am conflicted. I think the second game is the best in the series but I never played the PSP version so I'm unclear if it's better or worse than the PSX one...

It's largely unchanged. While SO1 was significantly altered/updated when they ported it to PSP, they were largely making it look more like SO2.

I don't remember what changed for SO2 from PSX to PSP, but it wasn't anything big that I recall.

Saphirax

According to the SC wiki, these are the changes:

Most locations, items, Talents, Skills, Special Arts (called Killer Moves in the PSX version) and even some characters have been renamed (most notably the Ten Wise Men);
New voice acting, animated cutscenes and character portraits (as well new art style). All major story events now have voice acting.
The player now holds the Circle button to walk (rather than to run as it was in Second Story).
New recruitable character: Welch Vineyard.
New Private Actions and Endings.
Unlocking Galaxy and Universe modes now require defeating a specific number of enemies in a single playthrough rather than unlocking voices in the Voice Collection.
Pratically all Combat Skills have been refined, some being removed (such as Cancel, which is now automatically implemented).
Gale is now called Godspeed, and along with the increase of movement speed, randomly teleports the character towards the enemy.
Flip is now called Backstab, and instead of making the character only attack from behind, the character will randomly teleport behind the enemy.
New Skill: Sidestep, that randomly makes the character evade an incoming attack.
New Skill: Concentration, that randomly prevents spell cancelation when the character receives damage.
New Skill: Recast, that reduces recovery time between spells.
New Skill: Trance, that randomly increases damage dealt from spells.
The skills Strong Blow, Float, Provocation and Cancel have been removed.
The combat system has been slightly refined, now allowing all melee fighters to perform a 3-hit combo as their normal attack.
Additionally, short range anti-air attack no longer makes the character jump.
Players can press the Square button during some actions to cancel them (such as when the character is running towards an enemy).
The combat HUD has been toned down to be more light visually and fit better the PSP screen.
All characters have a cast bar below their MP, which is used for mages to see their recovery time between spells (but also affects non-mages that use casting items such as "The Scream").
The item timer is now located on the left side of the screen, at the bottom.
The Super Specialty "Bunny Call" no longer allows the player to "climb" on towns and some terrains. The player now will enter a town upon approaching while in Bunny Form, and can even activate private actions.
All items in the inventory screen are now depicted as 2D icons.
Item Creation can be sped up by holding down the X button.
Many bugs and glitches have been fixed (most notably the infamous random Cave of Trials screen freeze).
Ring of Lightspeed (called Slayer Ring in Second Story) now works on Dias Flac.

sublimit

Banned
There sure is a JRPG rebirth (and Japanese games in general) coming on consoles that makes me very happy.

This looks really good!

Rymuth

According to the SC wiki, these are the changes:

New voice acting, animated cutscenes and character portraits (as well new art style). All major story events now have voice acting.
It was what I was afraid of. I found the original dub to be charming in a 'so bad it's good', kind of way-

* Rena falls in battle
Leon: SISTER RENA!!
* Precis falls in battle
Leon: SISTER PRECIS!!

I guess I'll check it out. Still, you're a cool dude. Thanks a lot.

Yazuka

Omg. Square Enix you are really trying to become my favorite developer/publisher aren't you?
Hopefully this will get raised released in the west too.

phanboy4

This is the port that replaced Motoi Sakuraba's intro music with a bad Jpop song, right?

I guess I'll live with it, if it's the only way I can get PlayStation era Enix games on my Vita.

I never played the PSP version, just the original, so this is excellent news.

Man, I remember beating the last boss with his limiter off... Scary stuff.

Star Ocean 5
FF7 Remake
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Dragon Quest 10
Dragon Quest 11
Nier 2
World of Final Fantasy
FF15
Kingdom Hearts 3
Project Setsuna
SaGa Scarlet Grace

uHIeEP8.gif

Banned
so Japanese devs are all either PS4 or PS4/Vita or PS4/PS3 or PS4/PS3/Vita now
You could have saves time and just said all Playstation now lol.

I think if NX is successful in Japan they won't ignore another potential handheld and console combo in their home land.

I can't imagine Japanese devs want to only develop for PS but Xbox and Wii U aren't selling well in Japan, their main market, and the 3DS is much weaker than the Vita.

I think by 2017-2018 you'll see these jrpgs releasing on Nintendo and Sony platforms.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god I want this so bad on PS4. Please please come to the US. Second Evolution is one my favorite JRPGs ever.

Top Bottom