• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: Second Evolution coming to PS4/Vita

Shinriji

THIS IS BAD, HERE'S THE ENEMY. Great game, will buy it (again).

SO3 next please, so I can Side Kick and Dimension Door all day long.

nightever

The funny thing is all this love came after Sony sold their S-E shares.
Well, Sony tried to buyout Square at a low price (thanks to the CG film failure), which make they choose to merger with Enix. Now that Sony give up controlling the company, they now no longer fear and hate Sony!

Kill3r7

At this rate the Vita might be the best place to play the golden age of JRPGs. If only Sony would figure out how to run the PS2 classics on the Vita we would be golden.

Just going to throw it on the pile

Star Ocean 5
FF7 Remake
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Dragon Quest 10
Dragon Quest 11
Nier 2
Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue
World of Final Fantasy
FF15
Kingdom Hearts 3
Project Setsuna
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
SaGa Scarlet Grace

That is a god tier list of games

Whizkid7

Ooooh. SO2 was the game that got me into RPGs and I still go back and play it to this day. Looks like this isn't much of an upgrade though, so I'll probably skip it.

matmanx1

If there is a Western release of the Vita version then I would be all over that. The PSP version was already well optimized for hand-held play so I would prefer to keep it that way.

I'll definitely grab it when it drops. Star Ocean 2 is easily my favorite of the series and is all around a really good game. Even if Claude C. Kenny is still one of the goofiest names I've heard for a JRPG protagonist.

I've always wondered why so many PSX titles from the Enix half of SE never made it to PSN (VP1, SO1 and SO2, DQ7, etc).
For the first three, I would assume it's because they had PSP remakes. Which never made it to PSN either because SE at large is terrible at that (see also Crisis Core and BBS).

In the case of DQ7, it looks like a DQ thing: AFAIK, there's no legacy version of any DQ game on any Virtual Console or PS1/PS2 archives.

Happy about this, but these announcements give me unrelated sadness knowing I'll never see, say...Grandia IV or something. I'd even settle for a PS4 port of the recent PC Grandia 2 release :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
One of my absolute favorite games of all time! I wish it was more than a direct port... a full-on remake would be insane!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Star Ocean 5
FF7 Remake
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Dragon Quest 10
Dragon Quest 11
Nier 2
World of Final Fantasy
FF15
Kingdom Hearts 3
Project Setsuna
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
SaGa Scarlet Grace

Also:

Dissidia Final Fantasy
Seiken Densetsu

Oh no.
Another Star Ocean game with trophies.

Will happily day 1 if it hits the US though. For some reason I always quit playing shortly after reaching the 2nd half of the game. And yet between the PS1 & PSP versions I have maybe 120 hours of play.

Yjynx

I played the original SO2. This game is what I considered classic JRPG. Played it guys you'll know why JRPG is the king back then

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I can't argue with this! SO2 is still my favorite of the series.

Is this an enhanced port of so2?

Loved that game and tried but couldn't really get into any of the others in the series.

In fact I even watched the so2 anime when it came out ha!

Aru

Played this on PS1 first but finished it on PSP, I thought the remake of the first game was better, especially considering they took almost everything that made SO2 and put it in the remake.

Won't replay it again but it's a very good classic JRPG.

Saphirax

According to the SC wiki, these are the changes:

Most locations, items, Talents, Skills, Special Arts (called Killer Moves in the PSX version) and even some characters have been renamed (most notably the Ten Wise Men);
New voice acting, animated cutscenes and character portraits (as well new art style). All major story events now have voice acting.
The player now holds the Circle button to walk (rather than to run as it was in Second Story).
New recruitable character: Welch Vineyard.
New Private Actions and Endings.
Unlocking Galaxy and Universe modes now require defeating a specific number of enemies in a single playthrough rather than unlocking voices in the Voice Collection.
Pratically all Combat Skills have been refined, some being removed (such as Cancel, which is now automatically implemented).
Gale is now called Godspeed, and along with the increase of movement speed, randomly teleports the character towards the enemy.
Flip is now called Backstab, and instead of making the character only attack from behind, the character will randomly teleport behind the enemy.
New Skill: Sidestep, that randomly makes the character evade an incoming attack.
New Skill: Concentration, that randomly prevents spell cancelation when the character receives damage.
New Skill: Recast, that reduces recovery time between spells.
New Skill: Trance, that randomly increases damage dealt from spells.
The skills Strong Blow, Float, Provocation and Cancel have been removed.
The combat system has been slightly refined, now allowing all melee fighters to perform a 3-hit combo as their normal attack.
Additionally, short range anti-air attack no longer makes the character jump.
Players can press the Square button during some actions to cancel them (such as when the character is running towards an enemy).
The combat HUD has been toned down to be more light visually and fit better the PSP screen.
All characters have a cast bar below their MP, which is used for mages to see their recovery time between spells (but also affects non-mages that use casting items such as "The Scream").
The item timer is now located on the left side of the screen, at the bottom.
The Super Specialty "Bunny Call" no longer allows the player to "climb" on towns and some terrains. The player now will enter a town upon approaching while in Bunny Form, and can even activate private actions.
All items in the inventory screen are now depicted as 2D icons.
Item Creation can be sped up by holding down the X button.
Many bugs and glitches have been fixed (most notably the infamous random Cave of Trials screen freeze).
Ring of Lightspeed (called Slayer Ring in Second Story) now works on Dias Flac.

Yea it what's in the psp version vs original release?

:D

Just a port? I really wish there was a way to turn off the voice acting they included in the PSP version.

I'd rather have the option to switch to the PS1 voice-acting.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB26C6BCF0A6A316C

"HEY BUNNY"
"Crawd has advanced forward."
"I can't see...Nooo....Mot~her."
"TEAR INTO PIECES" x 100,000,000,000
"When did they" "When did you" "Behind me?!!??!!"
"Disappear you impure people!"
"TAAAAAAAAAA"
"YOU RUPTION!" "OH COME STORM"
"THERE'S MR ENEMY!"
"ARF! ARF!"
"And this is how the monster ceased to exist."
"The bleeding won't stop"
"Uhhh 3A? One missile please."

I still have this sealed for the PSP - I never got around to playing it. I'm tempted now to just get it for the Vita, but I should really stop myself.

Star Ocean 5
FF7 Remake
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Dragon Quest 10
Dragon Quest 11
Nier 2
World of Final Fantasy
FF15