• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Bridge Crew (VR platforms) E3 Trailer

WaterAstro

Geordi La Forge? So you mean you can do this in Bridge Crew?

P8acoVF.gif

Cartman86

Banned
Seeing your actions accurately recreated with 0% latency and full freedom in a social space is the coolest thing about VR and what makes Pool Nation VR so fucking amazing. So far the in-game footage of this hasn't shown any of that. Worried they didn't do it right. I'm not even married to the idea that you should be able to walk around the ship as much as you want, but since they are trying to actually render full character models i'm worried they will lose a lot of the immersion. Animations with only 3 points of reference is really tough for full characters models in current VR.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm not going to stick a headset on top of my glasses. It'll be a massive pain in the ass, much like dealing with 3D glasses.

Depending on the size of your glasses, it's actually not that bad at all. Took me a while to figure out a comfortable position, but once I did I pretty much forget about the glasses.

3D glasses are much smaller than a headset.

Canklestank

Neo Member
Button pressing simulator doesn't sound to appealing.

I mean, when you play videogames, don't you just sit and press buttons? Is this all that different?

I think it could be a lot of fun, but my wife isn't sold. It's probably just a polarizing type of game.

I'm not going to stick a headset on top of my glasses. It'll be a massive pain in the ass, much like dealing with 3D glasses.

As someone with glasses and has a Rift, it's not as bad as you think.

However, I would highly recommend taking a look at VR Lens Lab. You send them your prescription and you get custom lenses made for VR headsets so you don't have to wear your actual glasses.

elyetis

I don't know what to think about it. On one hand I have Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator in my wish list on steam for quite some time now ( biggest problem is that I don't see myself find more than 3 people to play with me, so I would still be missing 2 ). So a VR star trek game could be a nice alternative, but it's hard to say if each role will have even less to do compared to what Artemis offers, it felt like it.
Coming from ubisoft, the production value is really disapointing.

"Button pressing simulator" isnt a great criticism. Games where you primarily navigate menus can be interesting. Any Paradox game is basically a button pressing simulator.

The problem with this game is that it looks like the consoles provide less possible interactions than a Bop It toy.

If you have ever seen the crazy atmosphere that playing Spaceteam creates, then you'll know that calling it a "Button pressing simulator" is not a very accurate description. More like a "yelling orders to friends simulator".

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I mean, when you play videogames, don't you just sit and press buttons? Is this all that different?

I think it could be a lot of fun, but my wife isn't sold. It's probably just a polarizing type of game.

I was commenting from the perspective of actually pressing buttons in VR. But who knows, with the right scenario it could be interesting and even challenging.

Bluth54

Button pressing simulator doesn't sound to appealing.
I can definitely see this game not appealing to everyone.
I'm a big Star Trek fan and getting to roleplay as a member of the bridge crew of a starship sound incredibly fun to me but I have no interest in VR.
I don't see this game selling very well, it's mostly going to appeal to Star Trek fans who have a group of friends who all have VR. It's a pretty niche market.

Briarios

So, it's up for pre-order on Amazon. I'd be all over this at $20, $30 would still be ok, I'd probably bite the bullet at $40 if the reviews were pretty good ... but $60?

Is there something more to this game than we know about, like a single player story campaign?

So, it's up for pre-order on Amazon. I'd be all over this at $20, $30 would still be ok, I'd probably bite the bullet at $40 if the reviews were pretty good ... but $60?

Is there something more to this game than we know about, like a single player story campaign?
It supposedly has a campaign of some sort, since the game is apparently about finding a new planet for the Vulcans after ST09, but since there's been near zero coverage about this game since E3, your guess is as good as mine as to how involved that is.

RoyalFool

Banned
Pretty cool video, Gordie (LeVar) was beasting it.

Game looks very static, you don't really see the people moving despite the players waving their arms about. Maybe it's just the way they cut the clips.

Will buy once they release the holodeck DLC

Think this is gonna be a problem for a lot of VR games, thinking the uniqueness of the experience is gonna justify full price of a regular game, even with less content overall. It might take as much of a cost to develop for sure, but honestly pricetags like that across the board would keep me out of VR, which is bad for everyone.

That might just be a place holder price. Especially as they are still using a place holder release date.

And on that subject, it's out Nov 29.

TyrantII

$50+ bucks for what amounts to a half assed "VR Experience"...

No thanks.

If you're gonna bring back bridge commander, put some effort in to it.

Here's a short IGN video with some gameplay footage and explanations of what's involved:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaiI4sezBlQ

Main tidbits:
-Missions are 10 to 15 minutes long
-There is space combat (one mission Klingons confirmed)
-There's a campaign and free play mode (Ongoing Voyages)
-Playing the game gives you the ability to unlock more functionality for the bridge consoles
-There's matching making so you can play with friends or randoms

Maligna

Banned
Here's a short IGN video with some gameplay footage and explanations of what's involved:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaiI4sezBlQ

Main tidbits:
-Missions are 10 to 15 minutes long
-There is space combat (one mission Klingons confirmed)
-There's a campaign and free play mode (Ongoing Voyages)
-Playing the game gives you the ability to unlock more functionality for the bridge consoles
-There's matching making so you can play with friends or randoms

This has to be one of my most anticipated games. Probably cuz I'm finally watching TNG in full.

Maligna

Banned
Sorry for the double post bump, but I was wondering if anyone had played this and if so can you tell me whether or not you can see your body when you look down? I know you can see your arms, but is that all? I want to wear the Star Trek uniform!

Top Bottom