• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

I don't see how Burnham could be seen as responsible for the war. She tried to stop it by trying what Sarek suggested. The Klingons started shooting while they were arguing.

Mutiny is a serious crime though and they should focus on that. But I agree that it doesn't look like that will be the focus, judging by the trailer.

Well, she did go on to a Klingon artifact (not her fault), killed a Klingon (self-defense, but sure), then convinced her captain to fire on a Klingon artifact to draw them out (whoops they're cloaked).

I mean, also, context gets sort of lost here.

nOoblet16

So the question is how would have Picard, Riker and Data handled this?

Anyhow a Vulcan trained first officer who has worked for 7 years under her captain ends up being insubordinate and irrational like this. Now we can say that she was being logical abut presented herself in an emotional way but she was insubordinate on top of all of this.

Effect

Terrible decision to embargo the reviews lmao.

Oh well!

Yeah in retrospect it was likely a bad idea to embargo them. I think they could have talked around the twist and shocking moments in the episodes. They might have gotten higher then then 9.6 million viewers if they hadn't. Then again now if people want to check out the show signing up on CBSAA, Crave, and Netflix are the only ways now.

They likely weren't sure what the response would be I guess.

Back to the show. I really would like to know the names of all the ships in episode 2. We got a list but nothing to match up up the names. If the next version of a starship book comes out and it includes Discovery stuff I might just have to buy it.

I think I'm going to be picking up the Desperate Hours book that is suppose to take place a year before episode 1.

No issue with klingons talking klingon, outside if the fact that some are so laden with teeth and prosthesis that they can barely talk, even if I can't understand them anyway.

I'm not sure if this is intentional, but the makeup is so heavy that I feel like the actors can't emote through it very much. It adds to how alien the Klingons look.

And the delivery of the Klingon lines seems monotone compared to what we've seen in the past.

Some thoughts....

Whatever happened to
It is only an empty shell now. Please treat it as such.
?

And...

Why don't Starfleet ships get some properly trained armed boarding parties that we see with today's naval forces? Space marines or the MACO's from ENT.

It was a science vessel, and an older one at that which is on beacon repair and exploring strange new worlds duty.

So the question is how would have Picard, Riker and Data handled this?

To go into fanboy speculation mode for a bit, they'd probably have done similarly to Georgieu, but be more openly prepared for a military option as needed. Ie, they might have gone with a 'Back away, or be fired upon' warning.

Also agreed on the review embargo hurting the show. The atmosphere around the show for so long was one of concern about a trouble production, so getting reviewers going 'Turns out it's actually kinda good!' in the weeks before hand would have been a boon.

Did anyone watch the whole of that After Trek program? Seems a bit awkward and stilted, not sure whether to carry on with it. Does it get any better? Any decent stuff in there?

I turned it off when they said Romulan is a banned word in the writers room because of the time period it is set, like they haven't already shit on the canon and timeline.

Not wasting another second listening to that farce.

nOoblet16

To go into fanboy speculation mode for a bit, they'd probably have done similarly to Georgieu, but be more openly prepared for a military option as needed. Ie, they might have gone with a 'Back away, or be fired upon' warning.
Yep I don't think Picard would've held too much into Federation doesn't fire first or make threats thing.

If it was Sisko he probably would've fired first and then give warning lol
I turned it off when they said Romulan is a banned word in the writers room because of the time period it is set, like they haven't already shit on the canon and timeline.

Not wasting another second listening to that farce.
As if Enterprise didn't have Romulans and Borg.

I don't see how Burnham could be seen as responsible for the war. She tried to stop it by trying what Sarek suggested. The Klingons started shooting while they were arguing.

She drew first blood by killing the first Klingon and she also killed the head of one of the houses which made him a martyr for the whole war. Those two actions alone are probably enough to cause the spark to the whole war.

Did anyone watch the whole of that After Trek program? Seems a bit awkward and stilted, not sure whether to carry on with it. Does it get any better? Any decent stuff in there?

It seemed like the most forced and somehow obnoxious show they could produce. I turned it off pretty sharpish. I didn't get it.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
My only problem with the epsidoes so far is that the Klingons are boring. They've always been a boring adversary of the Federation and this series has the most boring version of them yet. Their scenes dragged the pacing of the epsiodes way down.

Get me some Romulans or Cardassians in this show ASAP.

Yep I don't think Picard would've held too much into Federation doesn't fire first or make threats thing.

If it was Sisko he probably would've fired the and then gave warning lol

Oh for sure. It'd be two photon torpedoes just above the bow, followed by a warning that he has 98 more of them he'd be eager to show the Klingons.

Finished.

Liked it.

Didn't know they where doing the Klingon War. Doesnt quite line up in the tineline but its not that important. Googling "Klingon - Federation war" and there was already like 3 of them anyway on Memory Alpha. One more wont hurt.

My only problem with the epsidoes so far is that the Klingons are boring. They've always been a boring adversary of the Federation and this series has the most boring version of them yet. Their scenes dragged the pacing of the epsiodes way down.

I have always kind of felt the Romulans never got their due.

I know it was the plan for later seasons of Enterprise and it sucks the show died just as they started planting seeds for it.

I do hope Discovery uses them. The Klingon things have been done.

nOoblet16

Didn't Klingons in Enterprise have cloaking tech? Cause if they did then I wonder why they are making T'Kuvma's ship having a cloak such a big deal. And why is the old ass religious ship so powerful.

Juraash

Some thoughts....

Whatever happened to
?

For all we know
that belief system became mainstream in the Empire as a direct result of what happens in the show. I haven't seen episode 2 yet, but I think I read a spoiler about rigging a Klingon corpse to explode? So that, or the the fact that this faction of Klingons seems fairly cult like may be driving forces behind the change. Also isn't TNG roughly 100 years after this? That's a long time for traditions to evolve, especially if there was a bitter war that the Klingons don't ultimately win.

Romulans are not going to be in this, they're not allowed to touch those because it would completely fuck with Balance of Terror.

Can't even get clever with them like ENT did.

We are going to see
the Mirror Universe though so Captain Georgiou may yet return

pigeon

Banned
Some thoughts....

Whatever happened to
?

And...

Why don't Starfleet ships get some properly trained armed boarding parties that we see with today's naval forces? Space marines or the MACO's from ENT.

Well, this guy's a religious fanatic from hundreds of years earlier. Probably he views corpse disposal a little differently.

Starfleet doesn't have any marines here because they have no plans for ship to ship boarding.

Romulans are not going to be in this, they're not allowed to touch those because it would completely fuck with Balance of Terror.

We are going to see

Please distinguish whether your spoilers are for the upcoming episodes or the ones that have aired. Better yet, no spoiler tags for episodes after they've aired. This is getting confusing.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour

We are going to see

Edit: Nevermind. *head, desk*

Oriel

It was a science vessel, and an older one at that which is on beacon repair and exploring strange new worlds duty.

All Starfleet vessels are science vessels and science is their primary mission. Doesn't stop them being armed to the teeth. The whole trope of senior officers going on away missions into hostile territory is just dumb. TNG tried to dial that back somewhat but...yeah.

nOoblet16

Some thoughts....

Whatever happened to
?

And...

This has been touched upon previously.
Pre federation Starfleet had MACOS but after federation was formed with its emphasis on science and exploration rather than military the MACOS were disbanded and reassigned. Some ended up getting their own ship and command like Edison (Krall) in Star Trek Beyond.

They have combat trained officers but they are not really soldiers as they don't ever plan on boarding other ships to take over it and stuff. But you'd still need officers to know how to board and protect themselves while doing so, so I assume they are still trained for it.

It doesn't really make sense if you think about it as per why they don't have super trained soldiers to do this job, but as we have known that the Federation would rather make compromise there so as to not come off as a military force. It's also why they chose not to use cloaks in their ship.

Still there has to be some leeway here in order for there to be a show. If it's not the senior officers going then you won't have much of a show, so there's that.

Sure, but because of the lack of conflict, they are a bit more relaxed about things so to say that they don't joke around a little bit because they're military is overlooking the circumstances. Have you never seen TOS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAUQ3CLkLo

The banter and humor happened all the time.

See, this for instance is a whole different situation though. Those 3 are having a conversation on the bridge, Kirk even has a drink. And it's like little jabs between buddies, too.
The "banter" in Discovery that I'm mostly having an issue with was that "weather report" thing when Michael goes out in that EV suit. That's a potentially life-threatening situation that involves radiation and an unknown object jamming their sensors. Otherwise it's just a line here or there, but I think if it wasn't for this super jarring moment, I wouldn't be so annoyed by it.

Perhaps it'll get better in the future, maybe it's just because I'm old and that kind of forced Hollywood humour is just bland and eye-roll-y to me, but it was one thing that stuck out to me and kind of soured my experience.
It'd gotten better over the course of those 2 episodes, because the topkek bantz were reduced significantly, but at that point the show already kind of lost me on the humour aspect.

Didn't Klingons in Enterprise have cloaking tech? Cause if they did then I wonder why they are making T'Kuvma's ship having a cloak such a big deal. And why is the old ass religious ship so powerful.

The TNG technical manual says that Klingons received cloaking technology from the Romulans around the time of TOS, when they had a political alliance. https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/4164/how-did-the-klingon-race-acquire-cloaking-technology

The Suliban and Romulans had the cloak during the time of ENT, but not the Klingons.

nOoblet16

A while ago they said "there's a reason Klingons look like this in Discovery". Still waiting on it, hope it isn't just "these dudes are outcasts and look different".

BraveOne

As someone who has only watched the Star Trek films from the 2000s I actually liked the first 2 EPs. From what I've been reading in the comments and IMDb database most die hard Trek fans don't like it , and to be honest I don't think it was made for them. I think it was made for people like me who enjoyed the movies and want a more expansive universe to get into. I actually want to watch the older TV shows now to see what I've missed.

They didn't actually. It first became a thing for them in the animated series, and has generally been presumed (along with other aspects of their arsenal) to have been the result of a brief alliance with the Romulans.

It's why I partially wonder if T'Kuvma's approach will fit in as technically a form of cloaking technology, but not actually the basis for what the Klingons will have for most of the franchise.

Paganmoon

A while ago they said "there's a reason Klingons look like this in Discovery". Still waiting on it, hope it isn't just "these dudes are outcasts and look different".

Reason could be as simple as they wanting them to look more alien and menacing than the "friendly" Klingons we've gotten to know.

Unless they specifically meant there's a in-world story reason for it.

Well, this guy's a religious fanatic from hundreds of years earlier. Probably he views corpse disposal a little differently.

T'Kuvma, right? Was there any reference in the episode to the idea of him being hundreds of years old? The heads of the other Klingon houses seemed to recognize him as a contemporary and a pariah.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
All Starfleet vessels are science vessels and science is their primary mission. Doesn't stop them being armed to the teeth. The whole trope of senior officers going on away missions into hostile territory is just dumb. TNG tried to dial that back somewhat but...yeah.

This is not true. There have been many dedicated science vessel classes in Starfleet that have had minimal armaments.

Take the Oberth class for example:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Oberth_class

The trope is dumb though lol

I had hoped they were some old offshoot Klingon evolution that were returning, but the show makes it clear they're meant to be regular Klingons.

I bet is no reason other than disregard for rest of Trek. They look like JJ Klingons.

Oriel

Please distinguish whether your spoilers are for the upcoming episodes or the ones that have aired. Better yet, no spoiler tags for episodes after they've aired. This is getting confusing.

You're right. Just watched the show so others probably should do the same before jumping in here.

For all we know [spoilerthat belief system became mainstream in the Empire as a direct result of what happens in the show. I haven't seen episode 2 yet, but I think I read a spoiler about rigging a Klingon corpse to explode? So that, or the the fact that this faction of Klingons seems fairly cult like may be driving forces behind the change. Also isn't TNG roughly 100 years after this? That's a long time for traditions to evolve, especially if there was a bitter war that the Klingons don't ultimately win. [/Spoiler

I dunno, the whole warrior code seemed something deeply ingrained into Klingon culture and tradition. Humanity's own traditions surrounding death haven't changed much fundamentally in the last few centuries. It just seemed like a massive flip to go from "revere the dead" to "meh, toss that carcass out of the airlock".

T'Kuvma, right? Was there any reference in the episode to the idea of him being hundreds of years old? The heads of the other Klingon houses seemed to recognize him as a contemporary and a pariah.

There's been rumours that circulated around claiming that the Klingons of the show were some kind of 'ancient' faction, but given that like, a third of the 24 houses are shown to be led by Klingons who look just like T'Kuvma, that seems pretty unlikely.

sVsEtEN.png

I don't think a probe was viable in that situation but I found this funny anyway.

I was really impressed with this show after having serious doubts leading up. I just hope going forward it doesn't have such a break-neck pace.

The only thing I am really disappointed with is the Klingons. I agree they needed a bit of an overhaul from the TOS movie/TNG look, but to me the current look just doesn't work, and the Klingon ship interiors make things look like a Stargate episode. And all the Klingon actors sound like they're having trouble talking, as if they took a bite of Gagh right before they started talking.

Var

I had hoped they were some old offshoot Klingon evolution that were returning, but the show makes it clear they're meant to be regular Klingons.

I bet is no reason other than disregard for rest of Trek. They look like JJ Klingons.

They look a lot worse than the JJ Klingons.

See, this for instance is a whole different situation though. Those 3 are having a conversation on the bridge, Kirk even has a drink. And it's like little jabs between buddies, too.
The "banter" in Discovery that I'm mostly having an issue with was that "weather report" thing when Michael goes out in that EV suit. That's a potentially life-threatening situation that involves radiation and an unknown object jamming their sensors. Otherwise it's just a line here or there, but I think if it wasn't for this super jarring moment, I wouldn't be so annoyed by it.

Perhaps it'll get better in the future, maybe it's just because I'm old and that kind of forced Hollywood humour is just bland and eye-roll-y to me, but it was one thing that stuck out to me and kind of soured my experience.
It'd gotten better over the course of those 2 episodes, because the topkek bantz were reduced significantly, but at that point the show already kind of lost me on the humour aspect.

You weren't really specific. You just said they were joking around despite being military. There was plenty of banter on the bridge that was perfectly in line with TOS which is what I thought you were talking about. Even the example you give didn't seem really that odd either. Heck, give me time and I'm sure I can find plenty of examples in the other Star Trek series that do something similar. I wouldn't be surprise to see talk like that in the modern day military to be honest in a non-combat situation.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn that was really good. Star Trek is back baby.

Hope I don't have to wait until Season 2 for the real sci fi stuff.

nOoblet16

That's exactly what I was hoping too. An offshoot not affected by virus and evolved differently.

I wish JJ never touched Star Trek. He got free reign to do whatever he wanted in the name of alternate timeline and keeping it separate but it ended up seeping into prime timeline.

I mean this Lens flare and dark sets man ! Even the JJ movies outgrew it in Beyond when Justin Lin came into the picture. But the show is full of it.

Some thoughts....

Whatever happened to
?

And...

Nearly a century a relative peace and the fact the Shenzou want a war ship. It was an old ship who's goal was strictly maintenance on a sensor buoy. Plus we don't know what the crew compliment was or how many were still alive. Remember they were essentially dead in the water, is clear that many decks were completely destroyed and likely most of engineering was gone.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

Just watched the first episode and hated it. One of the reasons was exactly this.

I mean in preparation I re-watched all of the TV shows and god :/ I really did not like the first episode. I’ll give the second episode tomorrow a try but between the lens flare, the dialogue, that dumb hologram telephone mode that was actually introduced in DS9 as new Technology (or do I remember wrong?!)..I did not enjoy my time with this show.

But..let’s see how it goes. I won’t write it off as failure in my book just yet.

Still I am happy so many of you like it. Maybe I’ll get a more TNG series in the future of this finds success.

Oriel

This has been touched upon previously.
Pre federation Starfleet had MACOS but after federation was formed with its emphasis on science and exploration rather than military the MACOS were disbanded and reassigned. Some ended up getting their own ship and command like Edison (Krall) in Star Trek Beyond.

They have combat trained officers but they are not really soldiers as they don't ever plan on boarding other ships to take over it and stuff. But you'd still need officers to know how to board and protect themselves while doing so, so I assume they are still trained for it.

It doesn't really make sense if you think about it as per why they don't have super trained soldiers to do this job, but as we have known that the Federation would rather make compromise there so as to not come off as a military force. It's also why they chose not to use cloaks in their ship.

Still there has to be some leeway here in order for there to be a show. If it's not the senior officers going then you won't have much of a show, so there's that.

I understand the reason for the bridge staff to go on away missions when we look at it from the needs of a television show. It would be rather shit to be watching a bunch of redshirts on missions reporting back to the captain through comms, like actual navies.

But if we're talking about realism in-universe then it does make sense to have dedicated boarding parties for ship-to-ship ops. Everyone says Starfleet is a scientific organisation but it does have a military role. They're not NASA performing experiments on snails in zero-G. Numerous Starfleet captains had no problem emptying their planet destroying ship-borne ammo bays and killing when necessary.

Also, sending the two most senior officers of a vessel for a capture/kill op is fucking daft.

Top Bottom