• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery Season 3 Official Trailer

INC

My wife watches this, I dont get it at all

Doesn't feel like star trek at all to me.

Just another Dawson creek in space, where they talk about feelings all the time

So season 3 is over, and it has been a load of bull.

- The Burn was caused by some autistic kid who freaked out over his mother dying (at least it wasn't Burnham this time)
- Burnham is now captain of Discovery and Saru left without even a goodbye scene (the admiral was nearly brought to tears when promoting Burnham to captain 🤮)
- There are silly Star Wars like robots on Discovery
- The ship is mostly empty space which makes no sense whatsoever
- Culber and Stamets met this non-binary human and together with the Smurf symbionth which is inside them (lol) they're one happy queer family
- The Federation is already rebuilding after 1 season
- Georgiou went not only back in time but also to the mirror universe (yawn) and left the show

What a waste. The premise of this season (and the whole show for that matter) had great potential. But the writers have no idea how to write good characters and that is why we ended up with Burnham and this shitshow. It's sad what Star Trek has become.
A friend who I usually hate to discuss movies with, because he is ALWAYS positive and noncritical about them, wrote me today.

And he said Discovery was shit.
And that this is too emotional even for him.

Last edited:

Andyliini

I'll probably get cancelled or something for saying this, but I loved this season. Couldn't turn my eyes of during the finale. A 10/10 episode from me.

Kimahri

Banned
The thing that annoyed me the most this season is the trans characters. Firstly the transboy is a shitty actor. Just horrible. Hated him in every scene.

But mainly the biggest problem is Adira. From the moment she enter she takes over completely and reduces everyone around her to her sidekicks. Staments, one of the cool characters is now reduced to an enthusiastic Adira fan who does nothing of import himself anymore, but just marvels at her genius every two seconds.

Also, the writers treat a trans character a 1000 years into the future te exact same way they would have treated her in a show set in 2020. It's not believable at all. This should in a 1000 years be completely irrelevant. Oh, your trans, big deal. But the writers treat this like some big come out moment.

They should have just been characters who happen to be trans or nonbinary or whatever they feel like. It's the future, and aliens, anything is possible.

GreyHorace

Watched the season finale with my brother.

Man they really love to cry on this show, don't they?

Problem is, the audience isn't really crying with them aren't they? I mean, I didn't. None of the emotion on display feels earned.

Compared with The Mandalorian's recent season finale, where the only character close to even crying was Din Djarin when he had to let Grogu go with Luke Skywalker. But it's still an emotional moment that was built up definitely feels earned. And many people thought so too, as shown on Youtube:

xandaca

This season had a couple of episodes in the middle where it looked like it could ascend to the lofty heights of decent-ish, then quickly descended into incoherent babbling again. Even its more interesting ideas were hamstrung by the incompetence which preceded them: that Osyraa (or however you spell it) wanted to merge her trading group with the Federation was a nice idea, and the Admiral's insistence she had to stand trial for her crimes if the merger was to have any legitimacy was morally correct - it was Discovery's first genuine attempt at tackling the sort of ethical dilemma which should be at the heart of Treks storytelling. What a shame, then, that the same Admiral had willingly accepted the genocidal Georgiou into the Federation with absolutely no consequences only a short time prior, not to mention that the Federation has done deals with the Klingons and other species who have not exactly been shy the occasional war crime and massacre. The merger was also hamstrung by the fact Osyraa had no reason to do it whatsoever: once she had Discovery, she held every possible card and advantage. Even if she were seeking to grant the Emerald Chain (awful name) the legitimacy which being allied to the Federation would supposedly confer, it had been established that the Federation's collapse had left it largely resented and discredited. Its situation was no better than hers.

(Also: even aside from the incessant weeping, Burnham is in no way captain material. You might have a renegade thinker as first officer to present even option, but never as captain where the crew could be put in serious danger.)

As an aside, it amuses me when a show's creators and crew go out of their way to show their deference to identity dogma, yet end up compartmentalising it all in one place, such as how every Netflix series features a gay, minority (sometimes trans) best friend, ticking multiple boxes with one character. As in all things, Discovery takes this to an even more ludicrous extreme by having the series' only gay couple become the adoptive parents to a 'non-binary' teen partially possessed by a trans-boyfriend (at least in Adira's specific case of multiple personality, using 'they' as a not-quite-singular pronoun makes some degree of grammatical sense). Way to cordon off your queers, chaps.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I'll probably get cancelled or something for saying this, but I loved this season. Couldn't turn my eyes of during the finale. A 10/10 episode from me.

This season would have an OK episode and then follow it up with complete shit. And I liked Season 2 a lot. This season was a huge disappointment.

I find the show entertaining in its own right, but it sucks as a Star Trek show.

I do have high hopes for Strange New Worlds.
I doubted for many years that Kurtzman is the problem, but I am rather convinced now about it.

So, I have hopes, but I am completely aware this might be futile.

wvnative

I doubted for many years that Kurtzman is the problem, but I am rather convinced now about it.

So, I have hopes, but I am completely aware this might be futile.

Picard is what planted my doubts, liked the first half, but the second half...oof

But I keep telling myself "the next show will be better"

Maybe CBS and I got a stockholm thing going on

Unpopular opinion, but I really enjoyed the JJ films

GreyHorace

This season had a couple of episodes in the middle where it looked like it could ascend to the lofty heights of decent-ish, then quickly descended into incoherent babbling again. Even its more interesting ideas were hamstrung by the incompetence which preceded them: that Osyraa (or however you spell it) wanted to merge her trading group with the Federation was a nice idea, and the Admiral's insistence she had to stand trial for her crimes if the merger was to have any legitimacy was morally correct - it was Discovery's first genuine attempt at tackling the sort of ethical dilemma which should be at the heart of Treks storytelling. What a shame, then, that the same Admiral had willingly accepted the genocidal Georgiou into the Federation with absolutely no consequences only a short time prior, not to mention that the Federation has done deals with the Klingons and other species who have not exactly been shy the occasional war crime and massacre. The merger was also hamstrung by the fact Osyraa had no reason to do it whatsoever: once she had Discovery, she held every possible card and advantage. Even if she were seeking to grant the Emerald Chain (awful name) the legitimacy which being allied to the Federation would supposedly confer, it had been established that the Federation's collapse had left it largely resented and discredited. Its situation was no better than hers.
I think you've hit upon something about the show that really bugs me about it in general.

Violence. Every major conflict in the show is resolved through violence. Sometimes they'll cheat with some magic science bullshit, but most of the time the plot will be resolved by phaser fire or badly choreographed kung fu fighting.

No one fucking resolves their problems by talking it out and reaching a compromise, unlike in classic Trek or the TNG shows. Mike Stoklasa actually made a joke of this in Re:View series he did with Rich Evans on their favorite episodes of Star Trek The Next Generation.

Mike lists down the type of episodes you'll encounter in TNG. These being:

1) Problems with Space Anomalies
2) Interpersonal Relationships/Love Stories
3) Space Politics/Interspecies Conflicts
4) Lighthearted Daily Life episodes
5) Alien Abductions/Threats/Mysterious Illnesses
6) Morality Episodes/ Right vs Wrong
7) Ethical Dilemmas
8) Guest Spot Character Brings Problems
9) Wacky Stiuations
10) Learning to understand someone different
11) Danger/Survival Situations
12) Mysteries and Whodunits

And in Discovery, his list is:

1) Violence

Fixed that for him

Seriously he is right, but also, Micheal does everything it seems. I might grow to like the other characters if the writers let them save the day once in awhile
Think one second about the fact, that every other major character in Star Trek only exists because Michael Burnham saved them.

Forsythia

(Also: even aside from the incessant weeping, Burnham is in no way captain material. You might have a renegade thinker as first officer to present even option, but never as captain where the crew could be put in serious danger.)

As an aside, it amuses me when a show's creators and crew go out of their way to show their deference to identity dogma, yet end up compartmentalising it all in one place, such as how every Netflix series features a gay, minority (sometimes trans) best friend, ticking multiple boxes with one character. As in all things, Discovery takes this to an even more ludicrous extreme by having the series' only gay couple become the adoptive parents to a 'non-binary' teen partially possessed by a trans-boyfriend (at least in Adira's specific case of multiple personality, using 'they' as a not-quite-singular pronoun makes some degree of grammatical sense). Way to cordon off your queers, chaps.

Well they had Lorca as a sorta renegade character in season one, but he turned into a moustache twirling villain as soon as they revealed he was from the mirror universe. I was absolutely baffled with that decision. Oh and he died in the episode after the reveal of course. What.

GreyHorace

Think one second about the fact, that every other major character in Star Trek only exists because Michael Burnham saved them.
Yeah. In Star Trek Michael Burnham is the BEST.

And in Doctor Who, the Doctor wasn't originally the First Doctor played by William Hartnell, but a black girl called the Timeless Child.

And in the Star Wars Sequel Trilogy, Rey is a accomplished pilot and Jedi despite having no training.

And you wonder why these franchises are struggling? What with the blatant Mary Sue protagonists that woke creators seem to favor as their default.

At least Star Wars seems to be doing some course correcting with The Mandalorian and how it redeemed Luke Skywalker. We'll how see long it lasts.

I don't give a shit about Doctor Who anymore, but Star Trek could still have a resurgence provided the right creative team is put in charge. Just fire Alex Kurtzmann and the rest of his sycophants.

Last edited:
And you wonder why these franchises are struggling? What with the blatant Mary Sue protagonists that woke creators seem to favor as their default.
I sometimes wonder if these times will be studied by future students of cinematography as the dark ages.
I mean, there is a lot of great stuff coming out that simply gets it.

But wow, how some of movies greatest IPs have been butchered on the altar of woke and "subverting expectation" is really crazy.

GreyHorace

I sometimes wonder if these times will be studied by future students of cinematography as the dark ages.
I mean, there is a lot of great stuff coming out that simply gets it.

But wow, how some of movies greatest IPs have been butchered on the altar of woke and "subverting expectation" is really crazy.
I'm not against people trying new things with old franchises. But the changes some woke creatives have made show a blatant disrespect for the legacy of these properties and their audience.

What I've seen of Discovery seems pretty bad in this regard, but I thought Picard committed the bigger sin by shitting all over the character and The Next Gen in general.

It makes what Jon Favreau is doing with The Mandalorian even more miraculous by comparison. It's a show that's doing new things with the universe but is still paying homage (but not slavishly so like Rogue One) to the Original trilogy.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I think the show is generally speaking weak. They occasionally have a good episode and you think eh this might start going places but it shits its pants the following episode.

And then of course, the politics at play... there's no straight white guy anywhere within the main cast, the bridge is a diversity brigade. I don't understand the need to make a show against a good chunk of its audience, but I'm no broadcaster and if as idpolists like to say "these are the voices you need to hear", well, I could do without hearing them because nothing of value would be lost.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I wonder if they have seen what has been done with Cobra Kai, and took some notice.
You mentioned subverting expectations. I barely remember The Karate Kid, but what I remember of the character of Johnny Lawrence was how much of an asshole he was with his fellow Cobra Kai mates.

And you're going to make a sequel tv show about him? The bad guy? And somehow make it work by letting the audience sympathize with him?

If that's a not a good example of subverting your expectations, I don't know what is. Rian Johnson ought to hang his head in shame.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You mentioned subverting expectations. I barely remember The Karate Kid, but what I remember of the character of Johnny Lawrence was how much of an asshole he was with his fellow Cobra Kai mates.

And you're going to make a sequel tv show about him? The bad guy? And somehow make it work by letting the audience sympathize with him?

If that's a not a good example of subverting your expectations, I don't know what is. Rian Johnson ought to hang his head in shame.

Cobra Kai making Johny Lawrence and endearing character while still being Johny Lawrence is a masterstroke in character writing.

Terrible finale. The action scene with the turbo lifts; I don't think I've rolled my eyes so many times before in an episode of Trek. Did Discovery get retrofitted with Timelines technology? You could have fitted the Enterprise a dozen times over in the giant spaces depicted inside the ship.

This show has turned into actual SJW tranny dog shit holy fuck.

Time travelling and parallel universes always ruin everything and add to that the forced tranny and non binary bullshit and it makes this a horrible show. Gene would be rolling over in his grave

Last edited:
Top Bottom