• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Star Trek' star Anton Yelchin has died (details forthcoming, automobile accident)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, life can be so randomly horrible and brutal when doing the simplest things. Who expects to die in their driveway?

RIP and condolences to his family.

strafer

Igmg1IX.png

:(

antonz

Terrible accident. As others have said can get really used to the manual transmission and not even think about the fact neutral does not park the car if you are distracted. Just need the slightest incline to get the car rolling

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
:(

He was great in just about everything I saw him in, even Terminator. Really liked his part in Only Lover Left Alive. He was a great Chekov. :(

Aurongel

Jesus... What a way to go. Such a terrible accident, I don't know what to say on father's day of all things.

RIP Odd Thomas :'(

spekkeh

Banned
You don't need to put the car to neutral to start it], you just need to push the clutch all the way down. That is the only requirement, nothing concerning brakes or gears.

You are also talking about some kind of anecdotes when you say that MT causes death by rolling/crushing.

I would like to hear all the details about his death. Such a strange event.

You're right, but I reckon a lot of people put it in neutral when they turn the engine off, and don't automatically put it into gear when they start the car (or consciously put it in neutral if they get out of the car to pick something up/open the gate), I know I always did.

Not sure what you mean with your second paragraph. This is not the first time something like this happens. It happens pretty frequently actually. (simple google search)

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Unbelievable.

I had the pleasure of listening in on some of the dialog recording sessions for our Star Trek game years ago.. he was an absolute pro and such a humorous and nice guy.

RIP Anton.

So young and what a terrible way to die :(!

RIP, I had a bit of a celeb crush on him.

Hopefully they do a good tribute for him on Star Trek Beyond.

Exis

I watched him on the short lived and underwatched Showtime show 'Huff' and due to it was always kinda rooting for him career wise- damn shame.

Quick

Banned
Holy shit. RIP.

Deaths in 2016 haven't shocked me as much now, because it's such a freak accident, god damn.

SeanTSC

Really terrible, I loved him in the new Star Trek movies.

And god, I always use my E-brake on my driveway no matter what due to fear of crap like this. I'm going to be even more paranoid about it now.

You're right, but I reckon a lot of people put it in neutral when they turn the engine off, and don't automatically put it into gear when they start the car (or consciously put it in neutral if they get out of the car to pick something up/open the gate), I know I always did.

Not sure what you mean with your second paragraph. This is not the first time something like this happens. It happens pretty frequently actually. (simple google search)
Is there a reason for that? I always park in first. Often, I don't even engage the emergency brake. Am I damaging the transmission by parking in gear? If I do leave it in neutral, the parking brake is on right away -- but I have a smaller car that has a tendency to immediately roll if there is any sort of incline, so it would be hard to leave it in neutral without engagnig the e brake.

e: now that I think about it, I park in 1st gear to start, but if I'm on a hill I engage the E-brake and shift to neutral afterwards.

Terrible news, really liked him whenever he was in a film. Think I last saw him in Burying the Ex (which I did like, and he was a huge reason why).

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
fuck man, such a talented actor and he seemed like such a good and personable individual. That's just tragic.

Most people I know park in 1st, but I'm one of the exceptions that park in neutral. And their have been a few times where I forgot to pull up the e brake. I just simply forgot. Fortunately nothing has ever happened to me nor has my car rolled away.

The worse example of this is when I got off work and discovered that I forgot to pull up the e brake. I felt so fucking stupid because it was dangerous and I could have caused a accident. Basically things like that can happen because people can get careless or become forgetful.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Nooo charlie Bartlet :(. I was sure this guy was destined for greatness, potential for Oscars in his future.

That duck picture is so sad, basically confirms what he seemed like in interviews and whatnot :(.

I drive a manual, so I always pull up the parking break anytime before leaving my car. One time I forgot and my car started rolling and I had to jump in and pull the brake. That startled me so much. Never again.

My guess is he just forgot and it costed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom