• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Star Trek' star Anton Yelchin has died (details forthcoming, automobile accident)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cromwell

Banned
Most people I know park in 1st, but I'm one of the exceptions that park in neutral. And their have been a few times where I forgot to pull up the e brake. I just simply forgot. Fortunately nothing has ever happened to me nor has my car rolled away.

The worse example of this is when I got off work and discovered that I forgot to pull up the e brake. I felt so fucking stupid because it was dangerous and I could have caused a accident. Basically things like that can happen because people can get careless or become forgetful.

If anything good can come from this, it's to remind people to take every part of driving seriously, including parking.

FStop7

Banned
Feel pretty bad for his family and for Walter Koenig who lost his own son a few years back.

I just hope he didn't suffer.

Raylan

Banned
Chekov and Odd Thomas? Nooooooooooooooooooo! Man, he was awesome. I liked every movie he was in. So, so terrible. And he was so young, too :(

Rest In Peace, Anton

ClVuXziUYAAZ0TM.jpg

ntinosaur

What a nasty way to go. Rest in peace Anton....

One of the first things my driving teacher taught me was to always ALWAYS leave your car with the appropriate gear when on a hill. If the front of the car faces upwards 1st gear if it faces downwards Rear gear, just to be doubly safe.

Of course he would that to me as a measure to avoid damaging the car...
It's impossible to think that Anton might have been alive had he applied such a simple trick.
(hypothetically of course, since there could be another reason for the accident)

I drive a manual, so I always pull up the parking break anytime before leaving my car. One time I forgot and my car started rolling and I had to jump in and pull the brake. That startled me so much. Never again.

My guess is he just forgot and it costed him.

Yeah. I said earlier my wife did nearly the exact same thing (she didn't pull the brake hard enough and it failed). Car ended up crushing her grandmothers driveway gate she had to jump out of the way of and rolling out into the street.

Hollywood Reporter guy spoke to the police.

d795Bwq.png

That's some fucking Final Destination shit right there. The dude rocked it in my favorite film of the year so far, GREEN ROOM and was always the bright spot in the movies he was in. I don't think I've had a reaction like this since Heath Ledger and this is even worse considering the circumstances. Just terribly fucking sad. God Damn!

So much this!

Watch "Odd Thomas" and "Burying the Ex". Anton is funny as hell.
Man...... I'm gonna miss him.

He was great in everything:

Green Room
Fright Night
Terminator Salvation
Charlie Bartlett
Alpha Dog
The Beaver
and of course Star Trek.

It's gonna be really bittersweet watching Beyond now.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Very sad. He was very likable and talented and seemed like he had his shit together...unlike so many other young stars.

He was great in every single thing that I saw him in. Another good one that I haven't seen mentioned is his performance in Criminal Minds.

Kurdel

Banned
Just realized he is the kid in Curb who won't reveal his magician secrets to Larry, because Larry isn't a real magician.

hqdefault.jpg

edit beaten but still

Oh no. :'(

I really enjoyed his work. Rest in peace.

Edit: I just watched Odd Thomas recently, which was really awesome, and I just got Burying the Ex.

DeviantBoi

That scenario is like one of my nightmares.

To get into my house, I need to open the gate and stand between it and my car. I'm always thinking that one day I'm gonna forget to put the car in park and I'm gonna get pinned in between.

I feel sad that this happened to him. I really liked him in everything that I've seen him in.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
You don't need to put the car to neutral to start it], you just need to push the clutch all the way down. That is the only requirement, nothing concerning brakes or gears.

You are also talking about some kind of anecdotes when you say that MT causes death by rolling/crushing.

I would like to hear all the details about his death. Such a strange event.

Yep. You only need to have it in Neutral if you want to take your feet off the pedals and not have it stall.
Also, automatic cars will overpower the parking brake and drive if you leave them in Drive or Reverse. (at least the ones I've driven)

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably what passes as a kind gesture in 2016, but this sort of self-branding in the face of tragedy strikes my old-school soul as incredibly tacky. :|

Dude hastily scribbled a note on the letterhead on his desk. Dunno how this is self-branding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom