• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Star Trek' star Anton Yelchin has died (details forthcoming, automobile accident)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zackat

The note was posted on his (Bad Robot's) Twitter page, so in a way it's like double the effort or double the self-branding, depending on your perspective. It's a weird thing, paying respects in the social media age, especially if you or the one you're paying respects to are people of note.

I mean, what would you people criticizing Abrams have wanted him to do?

SJFaTkh.png

140 characters or less in twitter form. It means way more than hand writing a note.

Would people be less offended if he had written it on a piece of printer paper? He obviously cared for Anton a lot. Probably wrote it on the first thing he had sitting around. Outrage over nothing to me.

rjinaz

I'm going to go ahead and give J.J. the benefit of the doubt and assume he felt that taking the effort to hand write a note was more meaningful than firing off a tweet.

This is how I feel. Had he sent a tweet, which took no effort at all, people would be fine with it. People grieve in their own way. Maybe he felt this was the best way to get his feelings across.

Christ that is shit and very sad news, RIP.

I don't care what some people think, the new Star Trek movies were fun movies and he played his part very well. If they make more, he will be hard to recast.

I will definitely be going to watch Beyind when it hits cinemas.

OmegaFax

I used to work with a guy whose brother ran himself over with a car. I don't recall exactly what he was doing at the time, but he was kneeling just outside the driver side door either looking for something under the seat, trying to adjust something, etc. when he bumped it into neutral. The car knocked him onto his back and then rolled over his chest . He survived with minor injuries. Weird accidents like that happen.

RIP.

I almost ran myself over once. Very hard to back out of the drive way one morning and had my door cracked open. My foot slipped off the break while I was getting out. I didn't have the car in park like I thought I did and almost ran myself over with the driver's side front tire. Car just started going backwards. Luckily I gripped onto door and the seat and maneuvered myself away from it.

styl3s

WTF?!!! Did he seriously sit there. Thinking, hmm, let me put my condolences on A FUCKING BUSINESS CARD and sign it.
People read far into much into things.

JJ is well known for his hand written notes he puts online this was probably the only piece of paper laying around and it's paper with his initials, not a business card and signs it JJ so i don't really understand the problem here other than fake outrage.

black_13

Banned
Damn I didn't remember his name so I thought it was the original actor who played the character in Star Trek died.

That's very tragic news and as a manual car driver I'm always always skeptical when I leave my car running or parked on a hill. Always pull the ebrake all the way up and even turn the wheels to the curb so if it does roll it doesn't come directly back.

Does anyone know what kind of car he was driving?

RIP. Shitty way to go. Probably was foolish enough and try to stop the car from rolling down hill by pushing on it from behind. Momentary lapse in judgement cost him his life.

This is real sad. I was thinking about watching one of those Star Trek movies today, and now I definitely will in his memory. R.I.P.

How this happened is confusing, but it's awful regardless of that fact. I liked him in everything I saw him in, as he was a talented and likeable actor.

May he rest in peace.

such a sad day

may he rest in peace and condolences to family and friends

people say this year has been horrible but it's like that every year.

no one year is more tragic than the other

Boem

I really didn't enjoy a single thing he did, in fact he was one of my 'change the channel' actors along with Justin Long, but this is just horrible. What an awful way to die. I hope his friends and family hold up OK :(

What was the point of sharing that? The guy was way too young and this was a terribly tragic accident - not the right time to share that you didn't like the guy so much so bluntly.

painey

What was the point of sharing that? The guy was way too young and this was a terribly tragic accident - not the right time to share that you didn't like the guy so much so bluntly.

Just giving my opinion on the chap while commenting on the circumstances. Not trying to be a juvenile and say "he sux", and I wouldn't normally have commented, but the cause of his death struck a particular chord with me as being so horrific and such an upsetting waste of human life.

Blader

Jesus Christ, how awful. Guy was so young and poised for even bigger things. Seeing him in Star Trek is going to be bittersweet.

R.I.P.

AzerPhire

Must we really dissect whether someone who worked on two movies with him day in day out is publicly grieving appropriately or not?

Yes! We must! This is the Internet in 2016, everyone must be critiqued to the tiniest detail. Hell we should start a boycott on JJ Abrams movies.

God the internet sucks. Just fee bad for the man who lost his life in a crazy accident and don't worry about judging people for the way they grieve.

I really didn't enjoy a single thing he did, in fact he was one of my 'change the channel' actors along with Justin Long, but this is just horrible. What an awful way to die. I hope his friends and family hold up OK :(

Why the fuck would you bother with the first part of the post?

Jesus.
Just giving my opinion on the chap while commenting on the circumstances. Not trying to be a juvenile and say "he sux", and I wouldn't normally have commented, but the cause of his death struck a particular chord with me as being so horrific and such an upsetting waste of human life.

Then say that and leave the I hated his work so very much shit out. That was the definition of juvenile.

Man, even though this year has seen its share of shocking news, this one gut-punched me the hardest. I really liked Yelchin - he had natural charisma; this aura of endearing honesty that made him one of the standouts among young actors ( at least to me ). He was perfectly cast as Chekov, too, and Star Trek: Beyond will be a hard watch now, knowing that he didn't live to see the premiere.

Rest in peace, Anton.

BobLoblaw

Banned
WTF?!!! Did he seriously sit there. Thinking, hmm, let me put my condolences on A FUCKING BUSINESS CARD and sign it.
And take a picture of it and post it on the internet. Pretty shitty. Just tweet or post a letter on FB or your website or something. It just seems really unprofessional.

Such a sad loss. He was so good in everything he appeared in. Made the Fright Night reboot/remake so much better. Thoughts go out to his family and friends. Tragic...

SMG

And take a picture of it and post it on the internet. Pretty shitty. Just tweet or post a letter on FB or your website or something. It just seems really unprofessional.
What are even trying to say?
'Its only respectful on some social media outlets and not others?
Anyway, terrible to see someone so talented and with so much momentum be lost.

-griffy-

Banned
This is how JJ has personally communicated via social media in the past. He doesn't have his own personal presence, so to ensure you know it's genuinely from him he writes a personalized note that is then posted by Bad Robot accounts. Seems like a really minimal thing to get angry about. A friend of his died and he's sharing his grief as everyone else is on social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom