• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Star Trek' star Anton Yelchin has died (details forthcoming, automobile accident)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really sad news. The man was a great actor and seemed like a lot of fun and very caring. Tragic how it happened as well.

And I feel people shouldn't rip into JJ about his message. JJ knew Anton and worked with him. There was a relationship there and JJ will definitely be upset and in mourning. A hand written message, on personalised stationery or not, is far more personal and heartfelt than 140 characters of a tweet.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
He had the best accent in the Star Trek movies, haven't seen the movies in forever but I can vividly still hear it in my head.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
JJ should've written the letter on toilet paper and posted it on myspace, would that have been more appropriate?

Ive enjoyed his performance in anything ive seen him in. He was talented and genuinely seemed like a nice charismatic guy. Absolutely tragic way to go RIP

I'm glad he got to do Green Room. It's my favorite film of his and I think it will be a legit cult classic. I'm sad he won't be here to see it.

manhack

Such a bizarre and sad way to die. So young and starting a great career.

(also can't believe we are going to derail this thread with second guessing the intentions of someone who not only knows Anton, but was probably planning to spend a lot of time with him over the next month while they were doing press)

RIP. What a horrific way to go.

I thought modern automatic cars lock the drivetrain so they don't roll? I have a manual so it's very easy to roll, and I had one scary experience in my driveway when I didn't engage the parking brake. I've read too many stories about this happening with kids in the past; the auto industry really needs to prevent cars from rolling when the car is in neutral.

(also can't believe we are going to derail this thread

We're not.

I still haven't gotten to see Green Room, but I'm checking it out as soon as I can.

It's weird to think just how many movies he'd been in that I've seen, and how good he was in all of them:

Hearts in Atlantis
Alpha Dog
Charlie Bartlett
Fright Night
Like Crazy
Only Lovers Left Alive

And that's not counting the stuff I remember him doing on TV (The Practice, Huff). It's really weird in that I watched him go from "that kid" to "that dude." He grew up in front of me, in a way. It really sucks he's gone.

Like Crazy is a really important film to me, one of my favorites of all time and a big inspiration for my directorial and writing styles.

This is a heartbreaking loss. R.I.P.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
We're not.

I still haven't gotten to see Green Room, but I'm checking it out as soon as I can.

It's weird to think just how many movies he'd been in that I've seen, and how good he was in all of them:

Hearts in Atlantis
Alpha Dog
Charlie Bartlett
Fright Night
Like Crazy
Only Lovers Left Alive

And that's not counting the stuff I remember him doing on TV (The Practice, Huff). It's really weird in that I watched him go from "that kid" to "that dude." He grew up in front of me, in a way. It really sucks he's gone.

Green Room was phenomenal. All around amazing movie, but Anton yet again puts on a great performance. This kid was going to do even more amazing things as the years went on.

Cabal

Such a bizarre and sad way to die. So young and starting a great career.

(also can't believe we are going to derail this thread with second guessing the intentions of someone who not only knows Anton, but was probably planning to spend a lot of time with him over the next month while they were doing press)
Yeah, you're right. I feel bad I was even a part of that, because it is not and should not be the point of this thread.

I personally still can't wait to see Green Room, but it's going to be harder to watch now. Way too young to go.

Fatalah

Goddamnit. I've been following his career since Huff. Always thought he was great.

What the hell, this is such a shame.

Elginer

Incredibly sad and quite tragic. What a horrible and insane way to die. Wow, I was just shocked when I read this. Dude was talented as hell and made a gem of a movie in Odd Thomas. One of my fav movies of all time, movie means a hell of a lot to me for a lot of personal reasons. So sad to hear this.

Treo360

Odd Thomas is an incredible, hilarious film. Y'all need to watch it right now in this man's honor.

RIP

Just saw this a couple of days ago. Made a joke to my wife that he should've never revealed that he could see the bodachs Loved him in that and fright night

Lé Blade Runner;207712888 said:
Man, even though this year has seen its share of shocking news, this one gut-punched me the hardest. I really liked Yelchin - he had natural charisma; this aura of endearing honesty that made him one of the standouts among young actors ( at least to me ). He was perfectly cast as Chekov, too, and Star Trek: Beyond will be a hard watch now, knowing that he didn't live to see the premiere.

Rest in peace, Anton.
Really sums it up better than I was going to.

First saw Yelchin in Charlie Bartlett and he really stood out as just having a great character and natural presence. I was really happy seeing his profile rise. This is such a waste, feel so sorry for those who knew him best.

Tuvoc

Lé Blade Runner;207712888 said:
Man, even though this year has seen its share of shocking news, this one gut-punched me the hardest. I really liked Yelchin - he had natural charisma; this aura of endearing honesty that made him one of the standouts among young actors ( at least to me ). He was perfectly cast as Chekov, too, and Star Trek: Beyond will be a hard watch now, knowing that he didn't live to see the premiere.

Rest in peace, Anton.

I came here to post something similar. But I couldn't have said it better than you have. Rip Anton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom