• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Attack Squadrons (Free-to-Play, Space Combat, Area 52, PC) Beta

epmode

I've always thought that LucasArts sitting on a new Star Wars space sim was a mistake but I think I'd rather have nothing* than a half-assed F2P disaster.

*I'll stick with Elite/Star Citizen

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Getting a strong

Wingcommanderarenacover.jpg

vibe from this one.

Mix in some Free To Play, and you've got a real shit stew!

ViciousDS

Banned
I think I'm going to ask every game that I wish to try if its "worth a damn" kind of like Kotaku's yes and no.

So the first page alone says it's not worth a damn......:( guess I'll wait till people actually get there hands on it before even attempting it lol.

Bradach

I've been waiting on a damn remake of xwing v tie fighter with online play for years.

Don't let me down (my expectations are outrageously high)

Jeff-DSA

I'm hoping that the pay wall is more like League of Legends or DOTA 2 than something more along the lines of a Zynga title.

Ogimachi

This could be a Star Wars War Thunder, which is fine by me. It will be interesting to see this compared to Galactic Starfighter mode on SWTOR.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So no single player campaign. I'm disappointed.

Danneee

Damn! I'm pretty sure I suggested something like this in a thread a month or so ago!
Don't know how to find that post though...

Guy.brush

9495-1.jpg

Im not sure why there is no LEGO space sim game yet. Explode an enemy to bricks, use your tractor beam to collect the little pieces, sell them on the black market or use them to build up your own private DEATH STAR sized monstrosity.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Well this is interesting, but might be disappointing.
Obviously I'm skeptical of a F2P from some
Random studio. I have very fond memories of
Tie Fighter and the rest of the series.
However, I refuse to let myself be blinded by Nostalgia.
A Properly done, modern Star Wars space sim would be totally amazing, and it
Doesn't necessarily matter if its F2P
As long as it's fun and not egregiously Pay2win.
Maybe this will be the Star Wars space sim we've all been waiting for. Or
Not.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Area 52 identifies themselves as a mobile developer on their site.

Yea this is going to be trash.

Ogimachi

The new title is a free-to-play, open web, space combat game offering an intense multiplayer battle experience where players can customize and tune popular Star Wars ships, including the Rebel Alliance's X-wing fighter or the Empire's TIE Interceptor. In Star Wars: Attack Squadrons, players will enter exciting dogfighting action with up to 16 players at a time as they maneuver through iconic Star Wars locations. Future ships, environments, and game details will be announced in the coming weeks.
http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-attack-squadrons-space-combat-game-coming-soon.html

Well, I looked the term "open web game" up and apparently it means browser-based games. So, I take back what I said, this is going to be a piece of shit for sure.

Playing Planetside 2, War Thunder, Warframe, etc. shows me that high quality products can come from F2P. See too many people dismiss something just because it is F2P these days.

But yeah seeing F2P, Web Based Star Wars game? Does not instill hope in high quality just because of the history of pure shit that comes out of the Star Wars name.

tkalamba

9495-1.jpg

Im not sure why there is no LEGO space sim game yet. Explode an enemy to bricks, use your tractor beam to collect the little pieces, sell them on the black market or use them to build up your own private DEATH STAR sized monstrosity.

This idea is gold. Custom build any ship you want given you have the bricks, or use prebuilt kits and expand upon them.

Tzeentch

That reveal trailer looked like something a 10-year old whipped up using POVRAY and free ship models from scifi3d.com. Not exactly what I hoped to see.

LNBL

An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #97.2f9d9bd5.1387310772.3f3ca3fe

Well that's just great.

I didn't realize last gen would come back so soon! Didn't we ask that we had one more year? o_O

...*secretly want this to be worth a damn.

TimFL

Today revealed? Excuse me but I'm pretty sure that they revealed/leaked it months ago. I'd go as far as saying I heard about that game at the last E3.

Top Bottom