• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront ["has a third person component to it"], "well in development"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Placing my bets for a gameplay reveal at the VGAs.

N2NOther

Banned
so how can DICE have the time to work on BF4, Mirrors Edge and this? Being overworked is the worst thing that can happen a dev. I hope EA isnt rushing them.
2 games at the same time is ok, but 3?
They opened a new studio in Los Angeles comprised of some Danger Close folks. My guess is this is being done by them first while DICE proper finishes BF4, when they're done they'll move on to Battlefront while a smaller team starts Mirror's Edge. Once Battlefront is done they'll shift to Mirror's Edge.

Marleyman

Banned
That is saddening. The others were FPS.

Edit: What I mean is that since the others were FPS games and DICE creates FPS games it would be good, but DICE does not make third person shooters so this is not good.

Your edit doesn't help; "others" is meant to be Battlefront games.

ZeroAKA

Star Wars Battlefront 2 was one of the only PC games I played back when it was released. I really hope this one adds a FPS mode.

vazel

Banned
Weird how many of us have different 'perspectives' on the best way to play Battlefront. On PC I'm sure it was FPS by default.

Edit: I booted up my freshly installed copy of Battlefront II and yes it's FPS by default.

Valnen

battlefield
battlefront
battlefield
battlefront
battlefield
battlefront

this will be a huge franchise next gen if they do the IP justice

Gut feeling says it won't sell to their expectations and we'll only get one game. So whatever they make, they need to make it epic for the fans that will buy it. They gotta make this one shot count.

Valnen

BFII had, and it was a horrible, horrible desing choice.

I don't really agree. The jedi vs sith duels I would have with friends were fun. They do need to improve upon the system if they plan on bringing it back, though. And offer a game mode for people who don't want them in matches.

Syf

Banned
Good news all around. I prefer the third person view for Battlefront and it's great to hear that its development cycle is coming along. I was a bit worried that development hadn't even started when all they offered us at E3 was a short CG teaser.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The problem with the special characters in Battlefront II was the fact that it was given to the best player on the server (default setting anyway), so it basically gave the best player even more power, and the timer on the character doesn't run out as long as you kill other players.

A good player with a Jedi/Sith character could destroy entire servers.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
BFII had, and it was a horrible, horrible desing choice.

Sort of true.....but at the same time I'm super glad leaders were in BF2. So fun. In terms of balance the leader characters could really mess stuff up, but nevertheless they were so fun to play as I can safely say BF2 would have been a worse game without them.

Valnen

Hopefully, this new team will do a better job of balancing them than Pandemic did.

Besides, I don't see a modern Star Wars game being sold without giving kids their immediate lightsaber and funky acrobatics-based gratification.

That's why I don't see this game doing as well as EA probably hopes it does.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Hopefully, this new team will do a better job of balancing them than Pandemic did.

Besides, I don't see a modern Star Wars game being sold without giving kids their immediate lightsaber and funky acrobatics-based gratification.

That awkward moment where I think back to 15 year old me seeing a tv ad of BF2 and seeing you could play as a Jedi and buying the game because of that...

Vibranium

Banned
Thank you DICE, hopefully there is first person view as well though for those who like to use it. I always went third person for everything myself though, it really felt like a Star Wars battle to me that way.

And yeah, keep the Jedi/Sith stuff in a smaller separate mode or omit it entirely.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I hope I can still play in first person for blaster based classes. Really pumped for this game. DICE makes the only multiplayer games I really care about and I love Star Wars.

i-Lo

The problem with the special characters in Battlefront II was the fact that it was given to the best player on the server (default setting anyway), so it basically gave the best player even more power, and the timer on the character doesn't run out as long as you kill other players.

A good player with a Jedi/Sith character could destroy entire servers.

How making them non-playable?

Sheroking

Make them earn the use of the Jedi. Like a kill streak or something.

They should be much more powerful than other classes.

CloudWolf

Making them non-playable would only ensure that the game wouldn't sell and the franchise be killed off again.

How did Star Wars: Battlefront do saleswise? That game had non-playable Jedi/Sith. Personally, I'm all for cutting them from the game entirely. Just make it about the normale soldiers, don't throw in pointless fanservice.

Though I agree that there would be an outrage from the kids who buy the game expecting Jedi.

please make the game with tps as the main perspective and have fps as the option. Focus the gameplay with tps in mind. Have the option in mp to play matches with tps players or fps players to keep it fair and fun. Dont go with fps amd throw in a terrible tps mode, tps first not second.

GamerJM

Banned
Well in development is good. I'm not sure if they'll make a 2014 release, but I really hope they do because this is one of the few shooters that interests me right now and I feel like it could end up being an early surprise-hit for next-gen.

Darknight

"Alternate with BF"?

Um they plan to milk this franchise to death? Also TitanFall is supposed to alternate aswell with BF? For an online only game, not sure how that would work.

What the fuck does third person 'component' mean? If there isn't the option to play the game mainly in third person, then it's not Battlefront to me.

PC was first person by default, but it was 3rd person by default for vehicles.

Main thing to me is that they keep the arcade feel and not attempt to create some realistic shooter out of it or overly concentrated on competitive nature. It should be about fun and crazy battles.

Demon Ice

Banned
Single player should be B Company as AWOL Stormtroopers with no explanation how they got there.

I would play the shit out of that, canon be damned.

Also "third person component" sounds like it switches between FPS and TPS. I can imagine FPS for foot soldiers and TPS for vehicles if DICE doesn't feel like researching and modeling authentic cockpits.

Enkidu

I don't see why it's such a big deal whether it's first or third person. Sure, everyone has their preference but most likely it will control practically the same regardless of what camera angle you play in.

Toa TAK

Banned
Hey, as long as they keep the option for both, I'm happy.

I prefer Third person, but I like to switch it to First just to change things up a bit time to time.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
hopefully it will allow to swap between first person and third person perspective.

Now here is hoping that will be some space battles

Varna

I don't see why it's such a big deal whether it's first or third person. Sure, everyone has their preference but most likely it will control practically the same regardless of what camera angle you play in.

It's a big deal to me because people use the third person camera to look around corners... basically first person players are at a disadvantage

I really despise any game that allows you to do either because it's basically forces those of us who like first person to either handicap ourselves or use the other camera

Top Bottom