• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamefront Rumor: Moore to replace John Riccitiello as EA CEO [Up: EA's Board says no]

Derrick01

Banned
I don't think he will be any better for gamers than John. If anything I see Peter pushing EA even further into directions that piss gamers off like F2P, facebook/social crap and Origin. If this stops them from making "AAA" games though then I'm all for it, they've plagued that sector long enough.

Hopefully this leads to good things. EA started the gen well and have been going downhill ever since, sacrificing quality for number of titles and nickel & dining consumers. If nothing else I would expect the quality of EAs releases to improve under Peter.

The irony of Peter Moore at the helm of another sinking ship.

Moore - who helped launch Sega's ill-fated machine and was working for the company at the time - wanted to find out how consumers perceived Sega compared with other games companies. He gathered a focus group of twentysomethings and asked "If these brands were people, who would they be?" Apparently, Sega turned out to be the "granddad with dementia who used to be cool but you couldn't remember why."

Oh, and if you're curious, Moore also reveals that the focus group thought Rockstar was the "drunken uncle who'd show up with a hooker from Vegas". And EA - who Moore works for now - was considered to be "the high-school quarter back who always got the cheerleader - an arrogant son of a bitch."

The irony that EA is now "the granddad with dementia who used to be cool but you couldn't remember why."

FyreWulff

This would be good. MS was a lot better when Peter Moore was in charge. When Don Mattrick took over MS's game division, things went south. This can only improve EA.

Credo

I've always liked Peter Moore when I've heard him in interviews and presentations. I don't have a clue about his business acumen though.

east of eastside said:
The irony of Peter Moore at the helm of another sinking ship.

Admittedly, this is the first thing that came to mind.

epmode

Have they really? Other than Old Republic (which granted is a huge misstep), haven't their games been pretty profitable? I'm pretty sure even Dragon Age 2 was profitable.
Maybe he's just talking about the studio's output, money aside. Because Bioware has definitely gone downhill since The Baldur's Gate 2 expansion. They're hardly recognizable now.

Acosta

I'm sure Petah will be delighted to deal with another sinking ship.

He should convince Sega to produce a Dreamcast 2, and make EA works exclusively on it. That would be fun!

Rich!

Yeah, as long as that south park episode is in my memory, angry, sarcastic, peter 'get the fuck out of my building' Moore is the only way I see him.

Hilarious.

Foffy

Banned
I think if Peter Moore was in charge of EA, his damage control for policies gamers have issue with would be unbearable to listen to. He was the person who summed up the 360 RRoD fiasco as "you know, think break" during his stint at Microsoft.

EXGN

For all the shit Riccitiello gets nowadays, I actually genuinely liked what he was doing with EA at the beginning of this generation with all the bold new IPs. I hope Moore can somehow convince investors to let him do the same.

Corto

Moore first decision:

"Jenny, please tell security that Michael Pachter is to be stopped from entering the building at any excuse, and don't answer his calls ever. Thank you dear."

Hmm when I think about it MS was doing really poor too when he worked there. I think the common theme here is him.

MS is now making tons of money based on a lot of key decisions taken by him and his team at the very beginning of the 360 life cycle. Just because he left doesn't mean they never would have made any money...you know how ridiculous that sounds...

Yoda

After star wars, how much is ea worth?

The company as a whole is slightly south of 4billion atm. Unfortunately for EA this is without the current sub numbers being officially announced... Something that will have to do (spin) at their next call... which will hurt the stock price again, but I imagine at this point all the negativity of TOR is mostly priced in.

On subject I don't see how Peter Moore is going to change anything. EA's biggest problem is one they've had for a decade, and that is them ruining studios after they acquire them. Their slash and burn mentality has destroyed things that could have been promising had EA given them more artistic freedom. Maxis did not need to become a "The Sims" only company. Westwood was doing great, its really hard to fathom how EA managed to take a franchise like Command and Conquer and flush it down the toilet so easily. Bioware went from a developer with oldschool Blizzard like respect to another EA studio that can't see anything but the bottom-line.

This certainly was continuing with Rictello, but your kidding yourself if you think he caused it.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
For all the shit Riccitiello gets nowadays, I actually genuinely liked what he was doing with EA at the beginning of this generation with all the bold new IPs. I hope Moore can somehow convince investors to let him do the same.
Did Riccitiello actually greenlight those new IPs? The ones that came out in 2007 and 2008 were likely in the pipeline before he returned to EA.

diamount

Banned

People want new IP's but they hardly sell to be financially feasible and thus give the stockholders more confidence.

Ceebs

I don't know why, but I read "Peter Moore" as Peter "Molyneux" and for a moment I thought that was a bit genius. Personally I don't have a problem with Ricitello.

Have they really? Other than Old Republic (which granted is a huge misstep), haven't their games been pretty profitable? I'm pretty sure even Dragon Age 2 was profitable. Or are you just heaping Mass Effect 3 ending hate on top of that despite the fact that they're probably making boat loads of money from that game.

The Mass Effect games (at least the first 2) were nowhere as big as they expected. They may have been profitable, but it did not really light up the charts the way games from a studio you paid so much money for would be expected to.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The company as a whole is slightly south of 4billion atm. Unfortunately for EA this is without the current sub numbers being officially announced... Something that will have to do (spin) at their next call... which will hurt the stock price again, but I imagine at this point all the negativity of TOR is mostly priced in.

Thanks! I figured it would be around the 5 billion mark. I know the stock has taken a hit around the time star wars launched, and after the first round of numbers. John took a gamble, and it looks like it cost him his job.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
As much as we adore those games, they were commercial failures. It will take something extraordinary to convince EA (Riccitello, Moore), to take creative gambles again. Could happen next-gen as they've already said new IPs are important etc., but I wouldn't bet on a Mirror's Edge 2 now.

Putting Bioware and pandemic together to artificially inflate the price so EA would have to pay Elevation Partners more was a shitty way of starting his run with EA.

Can it improve EA financially ? I must admit I am surprised Riccitello kept his job for so long, given their financial reports. I suppose it won't get worse under Peter Moore and maybe we gamers will see EA's good side again.

They seem to be cutting back on the number of games that they put into development. Peter mentioned at E3 that they only have 14 or 15 games currently in development. 10 of those were at E3, and we know about Respawn and Overstrike (Insomniac's game). So, that's 12. It seems like that may put them on a good path if they're able to maintain a high level of quality across those titles while making sure to market them properly.

Moore running the company that was a major part of the Dreamcast's death.

Now the circle is complete.

auzSj.jpg

ghostmind

For some reason, when I read "Peter Moore" my brain translated that to "Peter Molyneaux", and I just yelled WTF! at my iPad.

Now that I've sorted it all out, I think Moore would be a great choice.

Romir

I don't know why, but I read "Peter Moore" as Peter "Molyneux" and for a moment I thought that was a bit genius. Personally I don't have a problem with Ricitello.

Have they really? Other than Old Republic (which granted is a huge misstep), haven't their games been pretty profitable? I'm pretty sure even Dragon Age 2 was profitable. Or are you just heaping Mass Effect 3 ending hate on top of that despite the fact that they're probably making boat loads of money from that game.

Bioware came with Pandemic as part of the $860 million deal. I doubt that 238 person studio with two locations came cheap for the 18 months EA kept them open.

However, JR profited handsomely from buying these companies at Elevation Partnership and then reselling them to EA when he returned as CEO.

Bioware came with Pandemic as part of the $860 million deal. I doubt that 238 person studio with two locations came cheap for the 18 months EA kept them open.

However, JR profited handsomely from buying these companies at Elevation Partnership and then reselling them to EA when he returned as CEO.

I wonder if BioWare gets shaken up at all if Moore does become CEO? Considering the BioWare acquisition is Riccitiello's big thing I almost wonder if he's been sort of coddling BioWare a bit- like letting them sink an ungodly amount of money into TOR knowing that in some way his fate would be tied to that?

Top Bottom