• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: EA to layoff 500-1000 people [EA: We're hiring 100's, headcount up this year]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is a pretty straight out denial:

Ripten said:
EA responded to our inquiry with the following statement,

“EA is growing and looking to hire hundreds of people for our digital, console, mobile and social games. Like all game companies, we make occasional adjustments to resize teams as projects are completed and new priorities are established. Overall, we expect that headcount will be up at the end of this year.”
Source: http://www.ripten.com/2012/04/16/ea-says-employment-will-be-up-at-the-end-of-this-year/

That or they're hiring 501-1001 people at the same time.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Companies should sue bullshit rumor sites if it can be demonstrated that intentions were malicious. EA shares dropped 6% today, in part due to this news.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Companies should sue bullshit rumor sites if it can be demonstrated that intentions were malicious. EA shares dropped 6% today, in part due to this news.

If fake, this ultimately gives them a cheap ability to buy their own stock for what should be a decidedly temporary drop, so I'm not sure they mind too much.

If it's not fake, then well, the proposed situation doesn't really exist.

Judging by their various phrasing though, it's apparent they're letting some people (or moving them to other studios) while hiring intending to hire more overall.

Somehow I'm doubting it's 1000 people given the statements however.

So I stumbled upon this while looking at job listing at Lucasarts:

Possible sign of TOR going F2P?

Preferred abilities:
• The ability to keep yourself and co-workers motivated.
• Stress management experience
• Problem solving skills
• Be able to lead by example. Work hard, stay focused on the task in hand, and consistently arrive on time.
• Experience with The Old Republic and other free to play online games is a bonus.

Link: https://www.lucasfilm.apply2jobs.co...tion=mExternal.showJob&RID=4066&CurrentPage=1

I figured this was the best thread for it, since people seem to be discussing these layoffs along with TOR's success.

Lucasarts has pretty much nothing to do with TOR. They helped with sound stuff but otherwise it was pretty much hands off to EA and Bioware

Top Bottom