• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: EA to layoff 500-1000 people [EA: We're hiring 100's, headcount up this year]

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Update 2:

This is a pretty straight out denial:

Ripten said:
EA responded to our inquiry with the following statement,

“EA is growing and looking to hire hundreds of people for our digital, console, mobile and social games. Like all game companies, we make occasional adjustments to resize teams as projects are completed and new priorities are established. Overall, we expect that headcount will be up at the end of this year.”
Source: http://www.ripten.com/2012/04/16/ea-says-employment-will-be-up-at-the-end-of-this-year/

--------\

Full quote:

MCV said:
EA has denied the news, however, offering the following comment to MCV: "There are no lay-offs as such, we always have projects growing and morphing. At any given time there are new people coming in and others leaving. EA is growing and hiring and building teams to support the growing demand for digital games and services."
Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/rumour-ea-preparing-for-500-1-000-layoffs/094475

Wario Edit:
UyXt7.jpg

--------\

http://startupgrind.com/2012/04/exclusive-electronic-arts-set-to-lay-off-500-employees/

Exclusive: I’ve confirmed from multiple sources within Electronic Arts that the company is planning to layoff 500-1,000 people as soon as this week. As of March 31 public numbers, that represents between 5%-11% of total company employees. The layoffs were originally set for last Monday (4/9), but they were pushed back and we’ve confirmed they’re coming very soon.

After a brief resurgence, EA has had a rough year with Star Wars not matching lofty internal expectations, an expensive Popcap acquisition, a CFO departure, and being recently named the worst company in America.

While it looked like a possible banner year, over stretching on several fronts led to a disappointing fiscal year. Estimates put Battlefield 3 sales around 13MM units, the company ‘chased’ the launch dumping an estimated $30MM into incremental marketing after the game launched according to one source within EA. The same thing was done for Star Wars to extend its run and try to improve sales. Star Wars sell through is estimated to now be around 3MM units, but the subscriptions which are needed for an MMO to payoff are already declining.

It’s also another big blow to EA CEO John Riccitiello who this month marked his fifth year since returning to EA. I was working at EA and sat in the all-hands meeting to mark his triumphant return in 2007. While the quality of EA games has most definitely improved, the costs to produce these games and Riccitiello’s acquisition warpath have only hurt the bleeding.

Not to mention a stock price that has moved from $61 to where it sits now at $16, it’s safe to say that Riccitiello’s time is once again running out. On top of all this, Zynga has gutted EA’s management listing 5 of the top 11 executives as former EA senior managers including the COO, CMO, CCO (Creative), CPO (People), and the EVP of Corp Dev. Glassdoor.com puts his internal CEO rating at 53%, no where some Silicon Valley companies like Google (92%) or Yelp (89%) while similar to other CEOs in his category.

Hero

Sucks that when shitty companies make stupid, poor decisions the workers are the ones that suffer.

Oh my. Like I said before, it seems like twice a week now there is a major closure/shrinkage at a gaming company.

This one... is bigger than usual.

Linkup

Sucks that when shitty companies make stupid, poor decisions the workers are the ones that suffer.

Strange how it's the developers that are the ones that can make the games that will make the profit, yet they are first to go and the most quickly switched out. How can EA pretend it's dev teams are a valuable asset? oh wait they don't.

You know what they should do? They should remove all of their games from Steam. I bet that would help their bottom line even more.

mclaren777

They just need to release Mirror's Edge 2, make a Bad Company game that's as good as the original, and publish TimeSplitters 4 for Crytek.

That would easily fix the company... right?

legend166

When was the last time we got Star Wars subscription numbers?

I knew about 5-6 people who were playing the game at launch and they've all stopped. Obviously anecdotal evidence and everything, but even the hype around it on the internet seems non-existent.

Aaron

Is the decline of Knights of the Old Republic due to the decline of the monthly fee MMO business model, or is it just a shit game?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'll lift my boycott when they cut the bullshit practices AND apologize for them.

Emitan

When was the last time we got Star Wars subscription numbers?

I knew about 5-6 people who were playing the game at launch and they've all stopped. Obviously anecdotal evidence and everything, but even the hype around it on the internet seems non-existent.

I heard even the guy who made the OT stopped playing.

:/

Moaradin

Is the decline of Knights of the Old Republic due to the decline of the monthly fee MMO business model, or is it just a shit game?

It's a good game. They have done a good job at improving the game, especially the last patch.

I thought it was doing better than they expected? EA said 500k subscribers would be profitable for them and it has tripled that at the very least.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Zynga being the new EA is not surprising at all. Zynga is like an even more evil version than EA had ever been.

DTKT

Its not a shit game. Its just very formulaic. Its average at everything.

1 year till its some kind of hybrid F2P

Quasar

I'd argue the former given how no-one aside from WoW can maintain that model. And in many cases the games do much better once they walk away from the subscription model.

Personally I continue to be saddened that whilst they struggle, Activision continues to wallow around in cash.

Margalis

Banned
I thought it was doing better than they expected? EA said 500k subscribers would be profitable for them and it has tripled that at the very least.

Oh no not this again.

EA said that the game would be a good investment if it averaged 1.5 million subs a year for a full ten years.

There is no way in hell it is going to do that.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
From $61 to $16? Hooooly shit. I can't put a finger on when they started going downhill recently, but I do remember they had some pretty good faith around the releases of Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, and DA:O. What happened to that? Now, they could start by not pissing customers off with every other game release.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

i think its both.

the game is essentially a single player game with people you can chat with.

these new generation MMOs that focus more on the single player experience and being able to play the game by yourself don't make you feel like its worth paying a monthly fee, and that's why the F2P model works better for the "new design" of MMOs.

WoW works as an MMO because its more about playing with other people in raids and dungeons, so it makes more sense why you're paying for access.

From $61 to $16? Hooooly shit. I can't put a finger on when they started going downhill recently, but I do remember they had some pretty good faith around the releases of Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, and DA:O. What happened to that? Now, they could start by not pissing customers off with every other game release.

I'm not an economist but in that time they've made some heavy acquisitions. Popcap, Bioware, Playfish.. probably others. Could that just be the explanation? It's not like the first and last are ever going to be a poor investments.

Well, I'm not playing at the moment, but from what I've read, they kind of fucked things up a bit with patch 1.2 which was supposed to be the "Jesus Patch".

Personally, I'm still interesting in playing at some point, but the game ran pretty cruddy for me, and the ability delay made combat feel terrible. Supposedly those issues are fixed now, but I won't be returning until I have a better computer to play it on. Even then, I'm not sure how long it will hold my interest, as I only actually logged in maybe 4-5 times during the 2 months that I did have a subscription (free month + 1 paid) - it wasn't something that sucked me in despite technical issues. The highest character I had was level 14 or something - I'm willing to give it a fair shake at some later date though.

The truth is, it shipped too early. Features that should have been in at launch are either still not in, or just being added in 1.2 (e.g. guild banks, UI customization). As for how endgame holds up? I can't comment personally, but I've read it's not so great, and that drives people away after awhile. The leveling/questing part of the game is state of the art (though still a very standard approach to actual quests), but most everything else is just par or subpar. Although I do think the crafting system has a unique twist.

Moaradin

Well, I'm not playing at the moment, but from what I've read, they kind of fucked things up a bit with patch 1.2 which was supposed to be the "Jesus Patch".

They fixed a ton of things in 1.2 and added a lot of great things as well. There is a world event going on right now that everyone seems to like. The main complaint people have with the patch is the sound issues some people are getting. Overall, it was a great patch though.

Margalis

Banned
When EA talks about SWTOR they talk about IRR (internal rate of return) and other financial stuffs. Basically the idea is to measure whether the money spent on SWTOR was worth it compared to spending that money on a typical EA project.

The actual quote was something like "at 1 million a year over 5-10 years we start to feel good about the investment, at 1.5 million a year we have a very healthy IRR and a cost of capital 10% over normal..." Something like that. The point is while EA has never been straightforward with how many subscribers they expect or how many they actually have the implication is that they expected the game to be extremely successful over a long period of time. They also made statements indicating that SWTOR had the potential to do WoW numbers.

Quasar

They fucked up quite a lot during this gen, the market has changed drastically and it's become a lot more difficult to make money, so all this shouldn't be surprising (though I don't remember why their stock price plummeted in 2008). It sucks for the people to lose their jobs, but if it has to happen to a company I can't say I'm too sad that it's EA.

The move of the hype to mobile and EAs failure versus folks like Zynga certainly has had an impact I think. The only bright spot would be the Popcap acquisition....and so far there hasn't been a new big Popcap thing.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The quality of their titles HAS improved the past 5 years. And that's all I really care about. As most people should. But apparently it's fun to hate on EA again. It's hard to keep track these days.

But hey, keep the good games coming!

(Side note: hope my EA friends are okay this week!)

Top Bottom